Page 154 of 288 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 8618
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just out of curiosity, how much time do we have to work with here? Does the MLS window close at the same time as in Europe? (August 31)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much time do we have to work with here? Does the MLS window close at the same time as in Europe? (August 31)
    august 8
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Laba is really the more relevant comparison. For a young player looking to come here, that's apples-to-apples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The intention to sign a "big name" DP to placate supporters and increase attendance, despite that strategy not making sense for the team at the time, has been apparent on several occasions. It doesn't matter if the organization was turned down by certain marquee players and we ended up with the likes of JDG, Mista, Frings, Koevermans, Hassli, etc. It's the flawed strategy in building a contending club that I am alluding to, not necessarily the identity of the designated players.

Laba was a fantastic signing. I would prefer that Payne continues to try and orchestrate more signings of that ilk to build a young nucleus for this club moving forward. In due course, we can target a marquee veteran player once this club is on the verge of (dare I say it) qualifying for the playoffs for the first time in the history of the franchise.
    I agree that the future of the club rests on finding more talent like Laba and not older marquee players but....we can't forget how signing a Forlan or a Kaka would make our club that much more appealing to younger talent, especially from south america.

Imagine yourself as Max Urruti...

Payne: Hi Max, come to TFC where Jeremy Hall will provide all the quality service you could ever want.

OR

Payne: Hi Max, come to TFC, we have Forlan.
    Last edited by Ron Manager; 07-22-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Ron is pretty much right on this. Getting this one "marquee player" is really about attracting other players in the long term. Look at what Beckham did for LA and Henry did for NY. Do you really think Keane would go to LA without the Beckham influence over time? Or Cahill go to NY without Henry? Getting that one big named player can snowball other players arrival to a MLS club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUCKING DO SOMETHING.

Fly in all those players you claim to be interested in, fly them in, fly their wives in. Smooze the FUCK out of them. Take them all to that Roma vs TFC match, make it good for something, take them to dinner, who them the town. Make them see all the opportunities OFF THE PITCH.

That's how we're going to sell the club. Oh you have Jeremy Hall? Poor Position in the league? Fan base is losing hope? Giving away tickets for free?

Shut up, take our millions, buy a luxury home, while your wife goes shopping in one of North Americas top cities.

SIGN SOMEBODY, i'm dieing, sign somebody of some CLASS.

They could sign a sixteen year old Brazilian boy, who can barely afford to buy himself boots, and id be happy we're at least making some moves. He'd still probably create more chances then Jeremy Hall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to being patient and building a team that is made for the long term?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Trezeguet signed for Newell Old Boys (get it.. because he's old)

https://twitter.com/CANOBoficial/sta...32082188685312

Could this mean anything to us? Or just that Urruti is definitely going to Mexico now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like something has to happen this week. I'm not even sure if we can field a reserve squad for sat if we don't bring players in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    Beckham came in at 32 or 33?
    Henry came in at 33?
    Ljundberg came in at 32?

Forlan would be 35 before he could start his first meaningful season with us next year. I just think there is a bigger risk/reward ratio on him regarding injuries. If he doesn't make the full season we'll be doomed.
    It's a risk. But he's not expected to come and save us all on his own. He'll likely be useful this year and next - and then hopefully we have an option for a 3rd season. Ideally. Either way he's pretty awesome now, so I think we can easily get a great season out of him next year - unless he gets injured, but that can happen to any player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I feel like something has to happen this week. I'm not even sure if we can field a reserve squad for sat if we don't bring players in.
    Academy players can play in those games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earnshaw and Kouv may be ready on Saturday. Henry too. I think we'll be fine to field a full team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Max of 5 non roster players. So we will have our 6 man bench from the clb game and then our 5 academy kids all playing 90 min and out of position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Max of 5 non roster players. So we will have our 6 man bench from the clb game and then our 5 academy kids all playing 90 min and out of position.
    6 things before the big match
    1 come out to see the future of TFC!
    2 tickets still available
    3 match is at whatever time
    4 we don't have a great record against the krew
    5 fun fact about Columbus....
    6 tickets still available

I wonder how livid Leiweke is about this, he's probably never had such obstacles in front of him, he knows he's got a great city for a player to make a living, but he doesn't have the brand that LA does, and so we see what happens, nothing.

Now the excuse can be "but Tim only had one transfer window"
    Last edited by Marc"2L"; 07-22-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    What happened to being patient and building a team that is made for the long term?
    this is probably the best description for supporting this team when it comes to signings:

we know we should stay the course, but every now and again we snap and want to see some sort of action to stop the bleeding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they wanted patience from supporters the club should have followed the golden rule and not have spoken about incoming transfers. All they did was create false hope, players aren't coming it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no guarantee in football that you'll get the players you need from the market. We've approached a ton of players, but they could all say No Thanks. It's tough to sell Toronto over New York or Los Angeles unfortunately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    If they wanted patience from supporters the club should have followed the golden rule and not have spoken about incoming transfers. All they did was create false hope, players aren't coming it seems.
    Seems like a lot of European teams aren't following this golden rule either especially this Mourinho guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Manager View Post
    I agree that the future of the club rests on finding more talent like Laba and not older marquee players but....we can't forget how signing a Forlan or a Kaka would make our club that much more appealing to younger talent, especially from south america.

Imagine yourself as Max Urruti...

Payne: Hi Max, come to TFC where Jeremy Hall will provide all the quality service you could ever want.

OR

Payne: Hi Max, come to TFC, we have Forlan.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but again, I think our record will have more implications than a marquee player with respect to enticing prospective players to sign with our club.

If Forlan signs here and the other shortcomings of our roster are not adequately addressed, we will more than likely still be a dismal club next season. If we can bolster other areas of the roster and sign Forlan within the next few weeks, I'll support that decision, but I just don't think we have enough cap space to accomplish those goals.

If cap space is as limited as suspected, I'd rather utilize it to acquire 2-3 key players, as opposed to utilizing it primarily for the acquisition of one marquee veteran player, that in of itself, will probably have a negligible impact on our record.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-22-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree, but again, I think our record will have more implications than a marquee player with respect to enticing prospective players to sign with our club.

If Forlan signs here and the other shortcomings of our roster are not adequately addressed, we will more than likely still be a dismal club next season. If we can bolster other areas of the roster and sign Forlan within the next few weeks, I'll support that decision, but I just don't think we have enough cap space to accomplish those goals.

If cap space is as limited as suspected, I'd rather utilize it to acquire 2-3 key players, as opposed to utilizing it primarily for the acquisition of one marquee veteran player, that in of itself, will probably have a negligible impact on our record.
    By dumping O' Dea alone far more than the max cap hit of a DP is retained. Eckersley is almost on DP wages (and will hoefully renegotiate) and Koevermans and his DP wage will be gone. One DP is worth $350K of cap. Good luck on finding 3 key players with that. Maybe two but never 3 key ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    David Trezeguet signed for Newell Old Boys (get it.. because he's old)

https://twitter.com/CANOBoficial/sta...32082188685312

Could this mean anything to us? Or just that Urruti is definitely going to Mexico now?
    Well they just sold Socco to Internacional. I suspect Trezeguet is a replacement for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By dumping O' Dea alone far more than the max cap hit of a DP is retained. Eckersley is almost on DP wages (and will hoefully renegotiate) and Koevermans and his DP wage will be gone. One DP is worth $350K of cap. Good luck on finding 3 key players with that. Maybe two but never 3 key ones.
    I was referring to decisions that should be made during the current transfer window with the amount of cap space the club is purported to have available. With the departures of O'Dea and Silva, I'm guessing approximately 500K plus an unknown amount of allocation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil is onto something when he says that there will be a lot of money spent this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Phil is onto something when he says that there will be a lot of money spent this week.
    Stop it! no more speculating in the speculation thread! I can't take it anymore! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hookers and booze don't count.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but how many of us realize he was referring to supporters and their bar bill while watching this s** show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that among other reasons is why TFC is the worst team in MLS history. Before you post this ask yourself what ever happened to virtually every player the team has selected in the draft since 2007/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Hookers and booze don't count.
    Sure they do... oh wait, you were talking about transfers. Never mind, carry on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope its not all wasted on a certain a 35year old Austrialian International who last name rhymes with "eel"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well most of our picks sucked and the ones who were good were deemed expendable one of our many following regimes. Add in the 'win now' cries and we have the disaster that is us.