Page 153 of 288 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,590 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCtoMUFC View Post
    LOL is this a joke?

No way in hell we should be signing an international who last played in the 7th division in England (if my counting serves me right) 9 years ago. This has to be a piss take...
    Calm down. He's just poking fun at us. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a winning team with a solid foundation in place will do far more to entice talented players to sign with TFC in the future as opposed to signing a marquee player on a last place team with many roster deficiencies.

At some point, management has to stop putting the cart before the horse, as that strategy has failed repeatedly since the inception of the franchise.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-22-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    and mismanaging the salary cap to sign an ill advised big name DP to get me excited as a Toronto sports fan.

To be honest, I would prefer a realistic, patient, methodical, down to earth approach with respect to building winning franchises in this town.
    Getting one big name DP isn't going to blow the salary cap structure out of proportion. I think it's clear Koevs is gone after this season so the cap hit will be the same as this year moving forward and for the remainder of this season it's pro-rated anyway. Getting one name DP in could possibly help change the perception of TFC worldwide like it did with LA so I don't see it as a bad thing as long as the player can still produce somewhat. It can be looked on as an investment towards the future if it works out. This is what Lieweke was talking about in his first interview after being hired by MLSE. The equates the Beckham deal with all the doors that opened for LA including better player recruitment & invitations to big time international friendly tournaments, all of which kept raising the profile of club on the world stage. That happens in steps too.

As for the methodical approach, Payne and Nelsen said they would take their time to find players who are the right fit and after a few days people filled this thread with freaking out about not having players signed for SKC match and then it got progressively worse through the Chivas one until now. Basically, most people say they want a patient approach but I don;t think they really know what patient means.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 07-22-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I think a winning team with a solid foundation in place will do far more to entice talented players to sign with TFC in the future. At some point, management has to stop putting the cart before the horse, as that strategy has failed repeatedly since the inception of the franchise.
    Name me one big name DP we have signed in our history? Frings is only one (which let's be honest, isn't a big draw in our market).

Reality is our management always have been awful and handicap our salary cap by overpay 2nd/3rd tier British players. Not only that, but we never had an experience management running things until Payne and Leiweke came on board.

Given our size as a soccer market, we're massive underachievers. There's no way most teams in MLS should better than us. We got a lot resources and market to become powerhouse team in MLS which most owners in MLS would love to have/own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Name me one big name DP we have signed in our history? Frings is only one (which let's be honest, isn't a big draw in our market).

Reality is our management always have been awful and handicap our salary cap by overpay 2nd/3rd tier British players. Not only that, but we never had an experience management running things until Payne and Leiweke came on board.

Given our size as a soccer market, we're massive underachievers. There's no way most teams in MLS should better than us. We got a lot resources and market to become powerhouse team in MLS which most owners in MLS would love to have/own.
    The intention to sign a "big name" DP to placate supporters and increase attendance, despite that strategy not making sense for the team at the time, has been apparent on several occasions. It doesn't matter if the organization was turned down by certain marquee players and we ended up with the likes of JDG, Mista, Frings, Koevermans, Hassli, etc. It's the flawed strategy in building a contending club that I am alluding to, not necessarily the identity of the designated players.

Laba was a fantastic signing. I would prefer that Payne continues to try and orchestrate more signings of that ilk to build a young nucleus for this club moving forward. In due course, we can target a marquee veteran player once this club is on the verge of (dare I say it) qualifying for the playoffs for the first time in the history of the franchise.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-22-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Partially true but isn't not about us over paying English players, it's about over paying all players. Look at O' Dea, Hscanovics, Usanov, Saric, etc. All made over $100K and were shit. Then add in the 'hometown discount' we had to give Canadians to play here and we never had a chance to have depth.

And yes, Frings was our only big name DP so far and he was clearly fading. I also don't think the plan is to sign a big name guy to put asses in seats because I think Lieweke is thinking bigger. He wants what I mentioned in my post above. Asses is seats isn't the big picture and that would come on it's own if the on field product was better and the brand itself grew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand people who speak out against signing Forlan. He's been kicking ass this year at Inter, and though he COULD get injured, and he COULD turn out to not work well with our squad, it's still a great idea to sign him. LA built their championships on the shoulders of great DP signings. We need to do the same! Meanwhile we can hopefully start to see some stability so over time we'll have a core of players that have played together for years. But for now we don't have that luxury, so smart DP buying is a great way to strengthen our squad immediately.

Who dares wins!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a very simple strategy. Go get the best players you can, invest in the academy and good MLS signings to support them.

I would rather they took their time on getting the right DP's vs throwing money and contracts around. We seem to have done more damage in the past by signing players like O'Dea and Ecks to the cap than DP hits.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about someone creates a thread called "Status of our team" and 4500 of these posts can be moved there and this can be kept for actual discussions about possible player movements (incoming and exiting). This thread is becoming a lost cause

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I don't understand people who speak out against signing Forlan. He's been kicking ass this year at Inter, and though he COULD get injured, and he COULD turn out to not work well with our squad, it's still a great idea to sign him. LA built their championships on the shoulders of great DP signings. We need to do the same! Meanwhile we can hopefully start to see some stability so over time we'll have a core of players that have played together for years. But for now we don't have that luxury, so smart DP buying is a great way to strengthen our squad immediately.

Who dares wins!
    Beckham came in at 32 or 33?
    Henry came in at 33?
    Ljundberg came in at 32?

Forlan would be 35 before he could start his first meaningful season with us next year. I just think there is a bigger risk/reward ratio on him regarding injuries. If he doesn't make the full season we'll be doomed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This exactly. Our DPs haven't always been great but they aren't our worst dealings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Bernard is headed to Arsenal. Medical on Friday.

After Mineiro plays the Copa final Wednesday night, any chance they let someone else go? Someone that has less than 6 months remaining on their contract? You have to think someone from MLS has called already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Forlan is the final piece to the puzzle, he is the first expensive part to acquiring better players in the following years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calm down. He's just poking fun at us. lol
    I love the stadium he currently plays in (actually).

Seems like a place for Mariner to go coach at. CFC represent...
    Back on track, I do think we need to get off our high horse for a second. As fans we demand some solid foundation to root ourselves in for years to come so that we grow in support as the club grows. That's the exciting part for me at least. I actually do think Forlan coming over will benefit the club long term. It will be a singing that everyone will forget fast (Del Piero to Sydney FC for example) until the results come. With Forlan, I do feel the results will shift our favour with more chances created. He knows how to read defenders very well, therefore his movement allows him to be in pockets deep in the opposition half. Those are the things that lead to unpredictable goals. Less "boot it up the field and hope we can get a head on it" goals.
    Last edited by Corpand; 07-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I'm for a Forlan signing (NOT Kaka) for a lot of reasons, I believe that you should build your team around domestics and young DP's. Then you use a big name DP to push the team over the top. More signings like Laba are needed as well as good academy development and the introduction of a couple of current MLS stand outs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpand View Post
    I love the stadium he currently plays in (actually).

Hey, It's semi covered!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ At least they have a roof....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ what gives they have a roof?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@BobbyBrizzo: Just saw Freddy Adu walking through the GO Tunnel at Exhibition with a Brazilian Thunder Booster Juice #FreddyAdu4TFC #TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    @BobbyBrizzo: Just saw Freddy Adu walking through the GO Tunnel at Exhibition with a Brazilian Thunder Booster Juice #FreddyAdu4TFC #TFC

Is this for real? I'm so sick of all this ridiculous speculation.....just make something happen!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adu played in a game last night in Salvador, Brazil. It takes nearly 24 hours to get from there to here.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...azil-bahia-may
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Adu played in a game last night in Salvador, Brazil. It takes nearly 24 hours to get from there to here.

So as suspected it is a joke I simply don't get haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolves_On_Tour View Post
    Is this for real? I'm so sick of all this ridiculous speculation.....just make something happen!
    Returned to action over the weekend for Bahia.

Doubt it was him coming back from the Booster Juice in Liberty Village. Having said that, Payne and Adu go back a long way....and Payne / Nelsen like to mine their past.

Edit: .....what Ensco said!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the silly season. Just a matter of time till people say they seen Kaka at Real Sports or Rooney at Joes hammered. Lmao

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobby's Adu tweets come out every transfer window lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate the whole idea of transfer windows. They breed all kinds of bad behaviour (in agents and the media especially, but with players and clubs too).

When I was a kid you could sign or move players all year long. They should go back to that.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    Although I'm for a Forlan signing (NOT Kaka) for a lot of reasons, I believe that you should build your team around domestics and young DP's. Then you use a big name DP to push the team over the top. More signings like Laba are needed as well as good academy development and the introduction of a couple of current MLS stand outs.
    I agree with the young DPs but we seem to be having trouble with the perception of our league and team and players like this have a lot of options abroad. Signing someone like Forlan may help persuade some young South Americans to at least give us a real look.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    It's the silly season. Just a matter of time till people say they seen Kaka at Real Sports or Rooney at Joes hammered. Lmao
    There's been a million posts like that in this thread already the last couple of weeks. Heck, someone biked all the way to BMO during the heatwave because they heard that Forlan was signing a contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Says the guy who is now dead along with his whole family except for one deranged assassin kid.