Page 14 of 288 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sdcfan18 View Post
    Of all the players we have under contract, you feel that Dunfield is the piece that is hurting us most? I personally disagree and think that most here feel he has something to contribute.
    I'm not a mod here, but I don't think I'm out of turn suggesting that every time we read somebody's comments about hating Dunfield, we should just ignore it. Otherwise every thread is going to end up a giant argument about Dunfield, even if the thread isn't originally about him! Love him or hate him, Terry is a TFC player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry's Football Club! On the pitch, off the pitch, and coming off the pitch he always has time for fans from what I experienced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't understand why so many people hate Dunfield so much. I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub. He's been put in the position of starting due to injuries and the fact that we don't have a commanding central midfielder with presence and vision. Why take that out on him?

Personally, I think Richard Eckersley deserves to get the flack Dunfield does. His forward runs are aimless, his crossing is shit, he's overly aggressive and always goes through the backs of people giving up fouls in dangerous areas, and he costs a lot of money. I can't figure out why people love him so much and hate Dunny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I really don't understand why so many people hate Dunfield so much. I totally agree he's not a starter on this team, but he's a perfectly decent 75th minute sub. He's been put in the position of starting due to injuries and the fact that we don't have a commanding central midfielder with presence and vision. Why take that out on him?

Personally, I think Richard Eckersley deserves to get the flack Dunfield does. His forward runs are aimless, his crossing is shit, he's overly aggressive and always goes through the backs of people giving up fouls in dangerous areas, and he costs a lot of money. I can't figure out why people love him so much and hate Dunny.
    I think because when Winter was canned a few people targeted Dunfield as the "Mariner's" type of no talent hack and it snowballed. I find on all the boards that once a small group starts having a go at a certain player for whatever reason (factual or not) and multiple threads spiral into 'player X' bashing that the sentiment generally spreads and then the lemmings follow. Then when pressed most folks will point to whatever argument the original bashers presented, in Dunfield's case that he can't pass, can't shoot, and can't run. And you are 100% correct, Eckersley should be found guilty of all of the same offenses minus the running part but makes up for it with poor positioning and he costs almost 5x as much as Dunny and also uses an international spot. And he is the reigning player of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield has started to grow on me this season. I believe he divided the fanbase so much last year was because he was played in a formation that was not playing towards his strengths. This year he is allowed to sit back more, bring his head up and pick out passes for the wings and sometimes chip it over for Earnshaw. I have paid special attention to him specifically when we play and he does things only an older, more experienced player knows how to do.

Cuts off passing lanes in 2v1 situations effectively
    Dictates the pace of the game at times effectively
    Actually connects his through passes well and has created a few dangerous situations. He just needs to tone it down emotionally at times, I feel the team`s mood greatly impacts him and causes him to cause rash tackles (when we are chasing a game).

I think if he stays injury free, he has the potential to stay on this team for a while longer. The man needs to keep his stamina up though, he will lose much of his appeal if he starts getting winded around the 60th min. Now he just huffs and puffs away the full 90. I like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my humble opinion, one could say that TFC does not have the perfect player that we can all praise, there are those that prefer one player above another, Dunfield is a low cost bench player to be utilized when needed, Eckersley has his qualities, does he not, how many times has he made that clutch tackle at the right moment, more than most of our defenders, again in my opinion, Dunfield has done the same, made clutch tackles and timely goals. Let's face it if we had a team of Superstars, they wouldn't be playing in the MLS, would they.
    Just a little rant, because, most of the discussion is the same, just worded differently on any given day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dunfield is the most undeserving whipping boy in the history of professional sports in this city.

The guy wears his heart on his sleeve for our club. It's not his fault that he has been forced into a starting role more often than not because of a lack of depth on our squad. Furthermore, he has not been a liability on the pitch as a starter.

The incessant criticism of Dunfield is beyond ridiculous. I hope we retain him for a few more years as a backup defensive midfielder once our roster is set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are having a thoughtful, reasoned debate about Terry's role on the team and I enjoyed reading it. Could we continue in this thread?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...47#post1568047

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what this article is trying to say but it mentions Toronto FC and some 17 year old Czech forward in the Ajax system. Can anyone make sense of this?

Google Translation:
    EXCLUSIVE - Vaclav Cerny will end next week to admire during the AEGON Future Cup in Amsterdam. The purchase of Ajax will be there with the B1 Ajax took office at the age of including Tottenham Hotspur FC and Toronto. In January it was announced that Cerny in 2014, when he was sixteen years old, the transition of the Czech FK Pribram to Ajax to make. It is unknown how many Ajax FK Pribram will pay for the left-footed winger. It is in any case only a training allowance.

The Czech was back in June internship at the C1 of Ajax. In a practice match against Real Madrid C1 knew Cerny time just before time winning 4-3 inside cups
    Source: http://www.ajaxshowtime.com/hoofdnie...uture-cup.html

UEFA profile: http://www.uefa.com/under17/season=2...100/index.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that it is talking about the tournament the academy is going to be playing in. Nothing to do with the player i believe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I think Dunfield is the most undeserving whipping boy in the history of professional sports in this city.

The guy wears his heart on his sleeve for our club. It's not his fault that he has been forced into a starting role more often than not because of a lack of depth on our squad. Furthermore, he has not been a liability on the pitch as a starter.

The incessant criticism of Dunfield is beyond ridiculous. I hope we retain him for a few more years as a backup defensive midfielder once our roster is set.
    I think people who criticize him are the most undeserved ... blah, blah, blah superfluous hyperbole.

People criticize him for starting, not for who he is. He caused the go ahead goal in the Montreal game because he lost track of Davy Arnaud, who got behind him by two paces and was able to set up the goal. He's not a good enough midfielder to start week in and out.

That's what MOST (like 99%) of people say about him. Occasionally some 'nad with too much Red Bull in him says he should be crucified or some other dumb, immature, pointless shit.

But it's equally intellectually unfair to suggest that behavior is rabid.

If he wasn't starting, he wouldn't be incessantly criticized. I actually think he's had some moments of really good play this year. Do they make up for the ball-watching deficiencies I know he'll contribute to our defense this year? Probably not. But that's an argument based on observation, not hyperbole about how he deserves the death of a thousand long knives.

Geez, can't an issue just be an issue, occasionally, and not two extremes picking easy polar opposites and squabbling? Can criticizing a player's performance not be equated with the Crucifixion? Equally, can a player's shortcomings not be equated with him being the social and sporting equivalent of the ebola virus?

Just imagine how varied the conversations might be; we might all actually talk about the specifics of why we do or don't think he should be in the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am at a loss as to why so many TFC fans have it in for Ecks. To say his forward runs are aimless and his is crossing is poor is wrong in my opinion. I'll give you the money issue but certainly not football ability. The exact same criticisms you give can be labelled at the very best full backs in the game today. I'm a Utd fan and the exact criticisms you levelled at Ecks can be attributed to Raphael, who is argubaly one of our better players this year. If people have it in for Ecks due to his wages then fair enough, they are too high, but don't try and back up with saying his football isn't up to scratch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I am at a loss as to why so many TFC fans have it in for Ecks. To say his forward runs are aimless and his is crossing is poor is wrong in my opinion. I'll give you the money issue but certainly not football ability. The exact same criticisms you give can be labelled at the very best full backs in the game today. I'm a Utd fan and the exact criticisms you levelled at Ecks can be attributed to Raphael, who is argubaly one of our better players this year. If people have it in for Ecks due to his wages then fair enough, they are too high, but don't try and back up with saying his football isn't up to scratch.
    Well....if you're an outside back one would expect you to be able to run the sidelines with pace, vision and put in dangerous balls on a semi consistent basis. He doesn't do any of these things. He runs a hell of a lot though.

So...if you're an outside back who doesn't excel at these things than one would hope that you can defend really well. By that I mean, be sound positionally, not give away cheap fouls and win balls and get the counter attack going.

He doesn't do any of that particularly well either. He gets by on flat out effort and determination. Those are great qualities to have but it's just not enough. Especially considering how much money he's making.

Isn't he one of the highest paid defenders in the league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Well....if you're an outside back one would expect you to be able to run the sidelines with pace, vision and put in dangerous balls on a semi consistent basis. He doesn't do any of these things. He runs a hell of a lot though.

So...if you're an outside back who doesn't excel at these things than one would hope that you can defend really well. By that I mean, be sound positionally, not give away cheap fouls and win balls and get the counter attack going.

He doesn't do any of that particularly well either. He gets by on flat out effort and determination. Those are great qualities to have but it's just not enough. Especially considering how much money he's making.

Isn't he one of the highest paid defenders in the league?
    This^. Plus the fact he consistently hoofs the ball to no one. I'd rather have a 70-100k right back and use the extra money more wisely.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My $.02 on Eck, he is good, he just isn't worth what we pay him.

At best we are stuck with his cap hit until 2014 season though so he still defo deserves to be on the pitch, he may be one of the best paid defenders in MLS, but he is also likely top 10 in quality as well so not too crazy.

If we were to lose Eck we would need a super solid DM to make up for a little less quality on the right, which would likely be the same money as we pay him.

MLS is a pain with the salary cap, I am sure we could have gotten away with paying him $100k less and still had him but until a few months ago we had no GM so we have what we have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have two wing backs that love to get forward yet neither has the ability to get a proper cross in. I like Ecks, but that drives me up the wall.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    We have two wing backs that love to get forward yet neither has the ability to get a proper cross in. I like Ecks, but that drives me up the wall.
    Morgan puts in gorgeous crosses, haven't seen too much of it so far this year but last year if he had someone besides RJ in the box to finish he would have had a nice number of assists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    so morgan being 4th overall last year of all defenders in assists means he can't put a ball in? I guess the rest of the league is shit as well

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Morgan puts in gorgeous crosses, haven't seen too much of it so far this year but last year if he had someone besides RJ in the box to finish he would have had a nice number of assists.
    more danny koevermans getting on the end of his crosses.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking forward to being back at Bmo next Saturday.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I am looking forward to being back at Bmo next Saturday.
    +10,000 The weather looks good right now but even if it isn't who cares. I'm ready to be back home supporting the reds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the situation on the Argentine players we were close to signing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

"once our roster is set": And how long will that take? As demonstrated by the expansion teams that followed TFC, it does not take 7 years to build a contender in MLS. Unless of course you live in Toronto where building a winning team is measured in decades, not years. Dunfield would not start on any othrt MLS club, he is simply not vry good. We don't hate the man just what he symbolizes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bakht View Post
    What's the situation on the Argentine players we were close to signing?
    Argentine club is going through administration, which is what's causing the delay. Probably won't be done before LA game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much for "A few days", Payne has got to shutup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    This
    We should have kept the one we had. After Vitti left he became one of the best attacking mids in The Peruvian league. Ok, so it was Peru. But they probably say the same about MLS in SA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Payne has got to keep doing what he's doing and continue to not listen to boards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne has been way off by several weeks every time he's announced an immanent signing. I'm surprised people actually still believed him when he said that they were on the verge of signing a Argentinian DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Payne has been way off by several weeks every time he's announced an immanent signing. I'm surprised people actually still believed him when he said that they were on the verge of signing a Argentinian DP.
    i believe that was the information at hand at the time - i really don't think he's making shit up and i firmly believe in the direction he's taking the team. shit happens, whether it's the player backing out at the last second or financial situations with the team they're negotiating with - who knows - Nelsen has said a few times in interviews recently that a number of new signings were imminent - again i believe that's what they thought and understood but something came up that either slowed it down or maybe stopped it altogether - bottom line for me is they are doing the right thing and i'm happy to wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Payne has got to keep doing what he's doing and continue to not listen to boards
    There has rarely, if ever been a more accurate post in this thread.