Page 104 of 288 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 8618
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    I don't get Laba at all. He'd be OK in a team where better players were around him. He's not good enough to lead a team. He doesn't give the ball away much, makes very few forward passes, can't shoot or open up a defence and has no pace. A very average player and a waste on the money he's getting.
    Agreed with Richter...a sub at best..same as Hall.
    Not trying to be a dick at all but you need to watch more closely.

The guy can tackle someone who is in full sprint, keep the ball for himself and distribute it instantly with near perfection 90% of the time, that is a very rare talent.

He is also only 21, with a few years he will be mind blowing. I think he has the potential to be a top 10 holding midfielder worldwide (although probably won't reach that here unfortunately)
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Richter is better than Eckersely. Look at how many goals in the past have been caused by Eckes being out of position. Richter is the best signing of the year so far. Eckes should be coming off the bench in the 70th when he is healthy.
    Before the past two matches Richter was out of position more times per match than I could count. My voice went hoarse yelling at him to cover his man wide but he always was far pinched inside (like Eckersley). But unlike Eckersley who recognized his poor position at the last second and hustled to (usually) make a last ditch defensive play, Richter usually stood there marking the wrong man and look befuddled. Go watch any match pre-Caldwell. The reason Richter looks good now is that he gets a lot of cover from Caldwell. Now you toss Eckersley in that backline and if he is fully recovered from injury, we should be laughing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Richter is better than Eckersely. Look at how many goals in the past have been caused by Eckes being out of position. Richter is the best signing of the year so far. Eckes should be coming off the bench in the 70th when he is healthy.
    I don't think that Richter is better than Eckersley right now, but I think he has the potential to be better.

A year ago the kid was playing most games on burnt grass, now he is starting for an MLS team and is at the very least, not the worst starting RB in the league.

I would hope that they find him somewhere to be loaned out to during the off season, maybe ship him off to Wellington to hook up with Brockie.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Before the past two matches Richter was out of position more times per match than I could count. My voice went hoarse yelling at him to cover his man wide but he always was far pinched inside (like Eckersley). But unlike Eckersley who recognized his poor position at the last second and hustled to (usually) make a last ditch defensive play, Richter usually stood there marking the wrong man and look befuddled. Go watch any match pre-Caldwell. The reason Richter looks good now is that he gets a lot of cover from Caldwell. Now you toss Eckersley in that backline and if he is fully recovered from injury, we should be laughing.
    Richter doesn't play smart. He reminds me of the guy who played right back on my youth team, right down to the hair cut (decent player, but also played tactically naive). Actually, Eckersley doesn't either to be honest. Maybe that's a requirement for our right backs these days?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was hoping we'd signed a player but instead its a Richter love fest in here. He's a good squad player, but he's no Dick Eckersley.

So, anyway, what's the word on this big name AM we're supposed to be courting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think its kaka

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Was hoping we'd signed a player but instead its a Richter love fest in here. He's a good squad player, but he's no Dick Eckersley.

So, anyway, what's the word on this big name AM we're supposed to be courting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    I still think its kaka
    Not Stankovic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't be Kaka. He would kiss away any chance of playing in the World Cup. Not sure he's ready to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Not trying to be a dick at all but you need to watch more closely.

The guy can tackle someone who is in full sprint, keep the ball for himself and distribute it instantly with near perfection 90% of the time, that is a very rare talent.

He is also only 21, with a few years he will be mind blowing. I think he has the potential to be a top 10 holding midfielder worldwide (although probably won't reach that here unfortunately)
    No offence taken. I do watch and know the game very well. What I should have qualified was I don't get the Laba signing. He's not a bad player but he's on a lot considering his role, and at 21 he's no baby.
    With Laba as a defensive, holding player and adding a creative midfielder we'll be OK....but then that would be 2 players on big money when we need to sign at least 5 more to make us a useful squad.
    BTW......over the next 4 years we'll see who's right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I am not mistaken Laba is on 200k, far from being overpaid. I also think a part of the fee to get him was covered by MLS, Payne hinted at a new rule suggesting the league would help out acquiring younger players with fees to MLS.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offence taken. I do watch and know the game very well. What I should have qualified was I don't get the Laba signing. He's not a bad player but he's on a lot considering his role, and at 21 he's no baby.
    With Laba as a defensive, holding player and adding a creative midfielder we'll be OK....but then that would be 2 players on big money when we need to sign at least 5 more to make us a useful squad.
    You're right that he/we need a more creative player to play alongside him. That's a problem we've seem to have had for a long time.

What I don't understand from your comments is denigrating him for not making forward passes. In that position you get the ball a lot facing you own goal. The point is to work it out without having to resort to panic long balls. He does that well. But that inevitably means your passes are going back quite often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If I am not mistaken Laba is on 200k, far from being overpaid. I also think a part of the fee to get him was covered by MLS, Payne hinted at a new rule suggesting the league would help out acquiring younger players with fees to MLS.
    If he's on 200k then he's worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in 4 years, only Laba (if not sold to Europe) and maybe Henry & Osorio will be the only players still starting, and with Nelsen's recent comments about contract structures, they are not averse to turning-over everyone. It's kind of a fallacy to say you are right because the team looks completely different in 4 years and is more successful... just saying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    You're right that he/we need a more creative player to play alongside him. That's a problem we've seem to have had for a long time.

What I don't understand from your comments is denigrating him for not making forward passes. In that position you get the ball a lot facing you own goal. The point is to work it out without having to resort to panic long balls. He does that well. But that inevitably means your passes are going back quite often.
    Posession is the most important part of any match. However, he does tend to favour the safe backwards or sideways pass, and knocking the ball back to any of the donkeys we have in our back 4 usually means it's going to get lumped forward....then lost.
    I just think it would be good to see him start playing the ball forward more.....after all the team really needs someone who can actually pass to do it !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    in 4 years, only Laba (if not sold to Europe) and maybe Henry & Osorio will be the only players still starting, and with Nelsen's recent comments about contract structures, they are not averse to turning-over everyone. It's kind of a fallacy to say you are right because the team looks completely different in 4 years and is more successful... just saying
    I'd throw Osirio in the middle with Laba. He's wasted on the flank. Use Silva as the link man and have Earnshaw or Koev up front. Now you've got more of a footballing unit.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think its kaka
    All signs point to 'NO' on this.

I won't believe any signings until they are standing up for the cameras with the TFC jersey on right now.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still think its kaka

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posession is the most important part of any match. However, he does tend to favour the safe backwards or sideways pass, and knocking the ball back to any of the donkeys we have in our back 4 usually means it's going to get lumped forward....then lost.
    I just think it would be good to see him start playing the ball forward more.....after all the team really needs someone who can actually pass to do it !!
    For Laba to move the ball forward we need someone there to receive a pass. He isn't getting much help as the midfield usually gets caught behind Laba or too far forward.

Think that makes his passes back even better because he can identify where we can still hold possession of the ball and not just hoofing it forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think its kaka
    I think it's Forlan. He said it would be a big name that people would recognize and he's the only player that would make any sense that people would recognize that would possibly come here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I think it's Forlan. He said it would be a big name that people would recognize and he's the only player that would make any sense that people would recognize that would possibly come here
    Who ever the player is, he ain't going to be cheap, but i think a big name is certainly on the horizon...
    @asifintoronto @PremiumDave Hang in there. The new CEO loves to spend on big players, as he has shown in LA. You'll like it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who ever the player is, he ain't going to be cheap, but i think a big name is certainly on the horizon...
    @asifintoronto @PremiumDave Hang in there. The new CEO loves to spend on big players, as he has shown in LA. You'll like it.
    Holy crap, it is actually probably not that far off. If it is Forlan I think I will mess myself.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think its Forlan too. Outside bet on Kaka.

I'm still going to say that Forlan would be the wrong choice given the physical nature of the league, and he will end up on the ground most of the time. But, of course, I'd be very welcomed to be proven wrong by him!

Stankovic hasn't played much in the last year, I can see him being the next Mista (used to have talent, now has lost it a bit and won't do anything here) so I hope it isn't him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fack its kaka! Lol I swear that's the last one

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Stankovic hasn't played much in the last year, I can see him being the next Mista (used to have talent, now has lost it a bit and won't do anything here) so I hope it isn't him.
    I agree but I can also see Forlan being another Mista as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree but I can also see Forlan being another Mista as well.
    I think Forlan is much more versatile - good with dead-balls, can create as well as finish... Mista was so one-dimensional. Still not even sure what dimension that was

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Why do so many people think a forward pass is the be all and end all?
    Because they don't realize the value of possession or that you can also create from wide instead of centrally?

As as aside - Xavi is the player that plays the highest overall number and percentage of passes square in the Champions League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    He'd be in La Liga if the financial state was better over there. Says a lot about his potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is the tweet from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I still think its Forlan too. Outside bet on Kaka.
    Outside of these two, who's a more realistic AM? I'd think it's a free agent who doesn't have a hope of playing in next year's World Cup.

I'm trying to lower my expectations, keeping in mind KP's declaration of greatness for Tal Ben Haim.