Page 103 of 288 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 8618
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    I saw a promise from him under AW. He was able to compete well with Soolsma ( who I wish was still here ) for a role.
    In his case it was because he went forward with almost no defensive responsibility much like everyone else back then. Now you ask him to defend and he isn't quality enough to transition between defending and moving forward. Much like Hall he is trapped in the hot potato, facing our own goal short passes game which is the killer of any offensive breaks we get.

Lambe and Hall are where counter attacks go to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Lamb makes almost nothing but is intl.
    That's the thing, Lambe would be a great depth player if he was domestic - honestly, if he gets permanent residency as well, I would say nothing bad about the guy...

Wheras with Ecks, would still be overpaid in my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    This is an MLS nuance that can't be overstated. If you take a look how Toronto reserves manhandled the Montreal reserves, it's no wonder why Bernier didn't go to the Gold Cup - that team has no-one behind their starters (granted, not the reason provided by CSA). They are a great team at the moment, but also on the backs of some old players - if they get injured, that team could have some massive challenges in the latter part of the year.

Richter is a good example of a depth player that has been asked to fill in and doing pretty much what he's expected to do, which is not anything great. Does he improve the team? No, but he has cheaply filled a void on the team, and hasn't been extremely terrible. He is not a long-term answer, but his short-term presence (and thse like him) is necessary. Even more so if CONCACAF dates start to creep into your schedule.
    Richter has been crap for us. He's a weak link defensively (that's saying alot since Henry and Agboss aren't exactly great either) while coming forward he can't cross the ball properly. Thankfully, he doesn't hurt our cap space.

As for Montreal-TFC game, credit goes to young CDN players on TFC side including our academy players and plus Danny K. They have been playing well in reserve games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Richter has been crap for us. He's a weak link defensively (that's saying alot since Henry and Agboss aren't exactly great either) while coming forward he can't cross the ball properly. Thankfully, he doesn't hurt our cap space.

As for Montreal-TFC game, credit goes to young CDN players on TFC side including our academy players and plus Danny K. They have been playing well in reserve games.
    will Thomas get here time for wed night? because as I see it thats all we need him for ....and inexpensive depth of course.....we're of course down in players Wed sound familiar?......Please spare us the high priced Dp. just find a young Dp AM......Laba to AM to DK...then find 2 wingers.....but I feel a high end Dp is a waste.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Richter has been one of the positive surprises of the season. Look at quality from his first game to now, HUGE jump. He is paid $35k and if you can add that quality of depth to your RB for $35k in this league you are laughing.

He has a LOT of energy, think about him coming in at 70 mins to close out a game for Ecks, you still think he is weak?
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I think Richter has been one of the positive surprises of the season. Look at quality from his first game to now, HUGE jump. He is paid $35k and if you can add that quality of depth to your RB for $35k in this league you are laughing.

He has a LOT of energy, think about him coming in at 70 mins to close out a game for Ecks, you still think he is weak?
    agreed. Though Richter may not be GOOD, he's definately not bad. His crosses blow and the long throw is wasteful, but he's a constant pressuring headache on the right side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was very terrible at first but is improving. At his salary he is good depth. I would keep him. And although he is just a depth player, I think we can do better than Lambe, international roster spot or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    will Thomas get here time for wed night? because as I see it thats all we need him for ....and inexpensive depth of course.....we're of course down in players Wed sound familiar?......Please spare us the high priced Dp. just find a young Dp AM......Laba to AM to DK...then find 2 wingers.....but I feel a high end Dp is a waste.
    He will be available for selection, yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    agreed. Though Richter may not be GOOD, he's definately not bad. His crosses blow and the long throw is wasteful, but he's a constant pressuring headache on the right side.
    Richter whipped two or three nice low ones behind the defence on Saturday against Salt Lake. Someone should have done better with at least one of them. That was at least some improvement on his crossing. I feel the same about his long throws. Just because you can throw a ball long doesn't mean you should do it every time. I've not once seen one become anything dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry may have started pretty sketchy, but he has really carved out a place as the furture of the CB position for Toronto. Kid's a gamer, winning balls like a champ, and steadily improving this year. I think you are way too quick to dismiss the contribution these young lads have had, considering they were not at all figured into the plans for the starting 11. What they've done with their opportunities has been pretty good.

Morgan is probably Toronto's best crosser from the full back position, but his defensive mistakes have been too worrisome to ignore. While Richter was no better to start, at least his defensive game is coming around. I don't understand what's up with his crossing; i'm sure he works on this day-in and day-out, but his technique is so bad, never gets any good height, can't put in a decent early cross.

EDIT: Actually, i agree that his last game was a big improvement
    Last edited by Red I; 07-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    ^ you think Ecks is worth more than 150-200k?
    Richter does a similar job, and makes 34k. So show me why TFC would pay Ecks the 350 or so that he's been getting... Cuz he's from ManU? I like the guy, good player, works hard every game, never (other than now) injured - but doesn't offer much to justify the bucks.
    Bit of a misunderstanding here. I don't think Ecks is worth anywhere near what he's getting. There are many examples of as good or better MLS full-backs making around $150k, including ones that get assists more regularly, and an occasional goal. (Just as one data point, Ecks has 2 assists, period, since coming here.) I think even $200k would be high. Great guy, good FB (with some issues), just not worth what he's getting in MLS.

Problem is, apparently the previous brain trust signed Ecks guaranteed to that salary through the end of 2014 according to an interview with him. (BTW, it isn't $350k; it's $210k base/$310k guaranteed, still high: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/May%...0By%20Club.pdf) I was just commenting on a possible way to lesson his cap hit for 2013 & 2014. If he's interested in staying long-term in Canada (he seems to have a great Canadian girlfriend), maybe he would like to sign a longer contract earlier, at a lower cap hit. I don't know what he would be willing to do, maybe $170k base/$250k guaranteed. Which is still high for an MLS FB. But I just don't think he would be interested in taking too much of a hit when his contact still goes another 1 1/2 years, and he probably has other options in the future.

That might mean we're paying a bit more in 2015 and beyond than we should be -- then again, perhaps that will be a more reasonable salary under the next CBA if the overall cap increases. And it saves money in the next 1 1/2 years when TFC is still saddled with some expensive leftover contracts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe TFC can revisit the Philly deal, but with Frei as the only piece since I believe Philly being cheap is what killed the Frei+Califf deal. MacMath is terrible and everyone knows it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Philly got a goalie from Germany now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Richter whipped two or three nice low ones behind the defence on Saturday against Salt Lake. Someone should have done better with at least one of them. That was at least some improvement on his crossing. I feel the same about his long throws. Just because you can throw a ball long doesn't mean you should do it every time. I've not once seen one become anything dangerous.
    I was expecting him to send in high crosses since we have Koev and Brockie who are both tall and good in the air. We wasted too many crosses low going through 4-5 pairs of legs when we have two big guys up front. If it were Morgan and Soolsma at the wings, we'd be winning the match in first half due to the chances we get. Instead we send them in low. If it was Earnshaw and Plata up front, then I'd be willing to get Richter credits for playing to our strikers' strength.

I digress. Richter, depth only. Still need serious upgrade on the RB position.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    I was expecting him to send in high crosses since we have Koev and Brockie who are both tall and good in the air. We wasted too many crosses low going through 4-5 pairs of legs when we have two big guys up front. If it were Morgan and Soolsma at the wings, we'd be winning the match in first half due to the chances we get. Instead we send them in low. If it was Earnshaw and Plata up front, then I'd be willing to get Richter credits for playing to our strikers' strength.

I digress. Richter, depth only. Still need serious upgrade on the RB position.
    They were in behind the defence, exactly where you want them. I'll more often than not take a low cross behind the defence to one in the air. Far more dangerous. But, yeah, if he could put one in the air in the first place he'd have more options in those circumstance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    They were in behind the defence, exactly where you want them. I'll more often than not take a low cross behind the defence to one in the air. Far more dangerous. But, yeah, if he could put one in the air in the first place he'd have more options in those circumstance.
    Agreed, those low cross behind the D are more dangerous, if we have speedy strikers (Earnshaw, Oduro, Kamara type of guys) splitting D to be on the receiving end. I kinda wished we have Koev and Earnshaw paring up front for more more dimensions
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I like Richter, and especially for the money we are paying him! He's a good tackler, fair to good at marking, and he is energetic overlapping down the flank going forward. His final ball could be better, but he often gets into good positions just by being energetic going wide and overlapping. He was by far a better attacking option than Convey last game, that's for sure (and Convey is MEANT to be doing the attacking!). He's an improving player in many ways, can only get stronger in this league. For an MLS full back, he's a fairly good level and comparable to many of the other MLS full backs. I know its not saying much, but he's one of the better full backs TFC have ever had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richter is better than Eckersely. Look at how many goals in the past have been caused by Eckes being out of position. Richter is the best signing of the year so far. Eckes should be coming off the bench in the 70th when he is healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Richter is better than Eckersely. Look at how many goals in the past have been caused by Eckes being out of position. Richter is the best signing of the year so far. Eckes should be coming off the bench in the 70th when he is healthy.
    Laba is the best signing this season, not Richter. He is miles ahead of what Richter can even hope to achieve. Richter should be nothing more than a late game sub, not starting material and defiantly not for a championship team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read that Tim Leiwke was in one the supporters sections for the TFC-RSL game, I think 112. Did anyone see and speak with him. If so, what did he say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Laba is the best signing this season, not Richter. He is miles ahead of what Richter can even hope to achieve. Richter should be nothing more than a late game sub, not starting material and defiantly not for a championship team.
    I don't get Laba at all. He'd be OK in a team where better players were around him. He's not good enough to lead a team. He doesn't give the ball away much, makes very few forward passes, can't shoot or open up a defence and has no pace. A very average player and a waste on the money he's getting.
    Agreed with Richter...a sub at best..same as Hall.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    I don't get Laba at all. He'd be OK in a team where better players were around him. He's not good enough to lead a team. He doesn't give the ball away much, makes very few forward passes, can't shoot or open up a defence and has no pace. A very average player and a waste on the money he's getting.
    Destroyers get that a lot.
    He is not expected to lead this team. As for his passing, I disagree as I have seen him pass forward a lot : needs someone finding space. Payne said we would understand him better once we have an Am. He is the best harasser of the ball we have ever had. He needs to learn to pass better in the final third.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He isn't supposed to be shooting or open the defense up, its not his job to do that as a DM. He shields the backline and is the primary facilitator in the transition from defense to attack, aka no more long balls over the head of everybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Exactly. And his range of passing as a DM is pretty damn good.

Having a top of the line DM is well worth the money in MLS. A large number of the top teams have them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    He isn't supposed to be shooting or open the defense up, its not his job to do that as a DM. He shields the backline and is the primary facilitator in the transition from defense to attack, aka no more long balls over the head of everybody.
    This. Laba plays a similar role as Kyle Beckerman, and he's doing well so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His improvement rate has been impressive- from start to end of June he has really come along. Imagine when he learns the league? Or the language...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    This. Laba plays a similar role as Kyle Beckerman, and he's doing well so far.
    Beckermann and Alonso are two of my favourite MLS players. Both fairly understated, but do nothing wrong, both have forward playing ability but they are asked to do a deeper roll and do it very well, tidying everything, then starting attacks. If Laba can be anywhere near as good as these two players, we have a good player on our hands.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba has made some amazing passes , we simply don't have the AM , or wingers even expecting them as of yet. And he has made some great defensive plays . he with a quick flick gave a break away on Sat....He's quality. He doesn't stop running defensively.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I agree. Probably 5 games instead of 4.
    a couple of more ties as well.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Why do so many people think a forward pass is the be all and end all?