Page 102 of 288 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Actually, have some depth of decent players instead of shit players is a better way to go. As is not having a player so heads and tails above everyone else that he gets frustrated/doesn't get the kind of service he was used to on a better side/doesn't gel with the team, etc. I would rather see more moves like this than go and get some world class DP. Not that I've seen Thomas play....but then again, neither have you.
    And I'd rather have young talented players with upside who can contribute both in short and long term instead of bunch of journeymen players who can't stick with a team more than a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I'd rather just sign an academy player over these journeyman players like Thomas.
    It's not a bad idea to be careful with academy players... the point can be made that bringing up players not ready for the show won't really help them too much. For every Henry, Morgan and Osorio there is a Makabuya and a Cordon... best to err on side of caution... Bekker and Welshmen will be good players, but they'll need time too. Even as depth, they aren't getting minutes because the coaches are being careful with them. So if these guys aren't getting minutes, an academy propmated player probably won't get any either - best to stay in the academy and at least get some competitive games and focussed training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 teams and bunch of trials in 7 years.
    He played at one of those while he was also at Notre Dame. Two in Europe when he first turned pro. Then KC and now a trade here.

And trials don't count.

He is an incredibly typical struggling professional American player. A journeyman he is not. 10 years from now you are more than welcome to slap that label on him.

By your standards, pretty much the vast majority of MLS players would be considered 'journeymen'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Terry Dunfield without the 150k pricetag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'd rather have young talented players with upside who can contribute both in short and long term instead of bunch of journeymen players who can't stick with a team more than a year.
    He tried his luck in Europe before coming back to MLS. Generally only fairly decent players will try to make that jump. At KC he has a pretty stacked midfield to compete against. You really don't know how good he is at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's loser talk lol. Mediocre talent doesn't win you cups.
    *insert Jim Mora "Playoffs?" video clip here*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    It's not a bad idea to be careful with academy players... the point can be made that bringing up players not ready for the show won't really help them too much. For every Henry, Morgan and Osorio there is a Makabuya and a Cordon... best to err on side of caution... Bekker and Welshmen will be good players, but they'll need time too. Even as depth, they aren't getting minutes because the coaches are being careful with them. So if these guys aren't getting minutes, an academy propmated player probably won't get any either - best to stay in the academy and at least get some competitive games and focussed training
    MLS teams loaning players and having partnership deals with USL clubs, I think situation for academy players will improve eventually. I just feel bad for Makabuya and Cordon who didn't really get a chance to show what they can do especially end of last season when Mariner was coaching the team.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Point is: this is useless trade and Thomas doesn't have much upside. 25 year journeyman making $60K shouldn't be end of our roster. You can get younger and cheaper players with upside instead of journeyman like Thomas to fill your depth.

I'd rather just sign an academy player over these journeyman players like Thomas.
    He's a cheaper and younger Dunfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He tried his luck in Europe before coming back to MLS. Generally only fairly decent players will try to make that jump. At KC he has a pretty stacked midfield to compete against. You really don't know how good he is at this point.
    Given he's label as a depth player, I except he isn't good at all. Since he's past his development stage and entering his prime isn't good news for those who want quality team with quality depth. He's an useless signing in the end. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut sometime next year to make room for younger players coming from college or academy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    He's a cheaper and younger Dunfield.
    That's not good news. Dunfield is an awful technical and athletic player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with our academy players / green new signings right now is that despite having a higher ceiling than this guy, they provide less immediate impact on the field. TFC is pretty much incapable of providing the environment they need to further their careers.

What we need to do is to send people out on loan similar to what the whitecaps have done with their best academy players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not good news. Dunfield is an awful technical and athletic player.
    ... but a kind of depth player that can help a tired midfield. I think we can all agree this does nothing to improve the technique of the squad - it's a depth, move plain and simple. You believe there are better options for cheap, domestic depth, and some will beg to differ. Agree to disagree, i guess

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be an up and comer in the field of architecture, but Legendary Terry he is NOT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The problem with our academy players / green new signings right now is that despite having a higher ceiling than this guy, they provide less immediate impact on the field. TFC is pretty much incapable of providing the environment they need to further their careers.

What we need to do is to send people out on loan similar to what the whitecaps have done with their best academy players.
    Ya, this should help. Alot. Would kinda suck when a new player comes in, sees the training facility and goes all "Awesome, what a great place to train!" And the KP tells him "Ya, we're loaning you to Ottawa to develop". ouch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Might be an up and comer in the field of architecture, but Legendary Terry he is NOT!
    Hmmm, an architect, did I see any of his work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given he's label as a depth player, I except he isn't good at all. Since he's past his development stage and entering his prime isn't good news for those who want quality team with quality depth. He's an useless signing in the end. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut sometime next year to make room for younger players coming from college or academy.
    Welcome to the MLS. Every team takes a hit in quality with depth players thanks to the low cap. Fitting in and utilizing these sorts of cheap, domestic utility players is part of being successful in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news on caldwell . I expext weidaman to be moved russel will be returned to england reggie lamb will be traded or released. That frees up 2 more intl. Slots and some cash before july 8 th what do you guys think make sense or no

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably some depth to make up for the Gold Cup losses. Can't really get worked up about a 60k utility player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, have some depth of decent players instead of shit players is a better way to go. As is not having a player so heads and tails above everyone else that he gets frustrated/doesn't get the kind of service he was used to on a better side/doesn't gel with the team, etc. I would rather see more moves like this than go and get some world class DP. Not that I've seen Thomas play....but then again, neither have you.
    Thomas is really a big question mark. Being a SKC reject isn't necessarily an indication of a poor player, considering SKC midfield is really deep. I don't even know exactly what position he plays, though sounds like he can fill in at multiple positions.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Great news on caldwell . I expext weidaman to be moved russel will be returned to england reggie lamb will be traded or released. That frees up 2 more intl. Slots and some cash before july 8 th what do you guys think make sense or no
    Russell has a green card.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Welcome to the MLS. Every team takes a hit in quality with depth players thanks to the low cap. Fitting in and utilizing these sorts of cheap, domestic utility players is part of being successful in this league.
    This is an MLS nuance that can't be overstated. If you take a look how Toronto reserves manhandled the Montreal reserves, it's no wonder why Bernier didn't go to the Gold Cup - that team has no-one behind their starters (granted, not the reason provided by CSA). They are a great team at the moment, but also on the backs of some old players - if they get injured, that team could have some massive challenges in the latter part of the year.

Richter is a good example of a depth player that has been asked to fill in and doing pretty much what he's expected to do, which is not anything great. Does he improve the team? No, but he has cheaply filled a void on the team, and hasn't been extremely terrible. He is not a long-term answer, but his short-term presence (and thse like him) is necessary. Even more so if CONCACAF dates start to creep into your schedule.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    This is an MLS nuance that can't be overstated. If you take a look how Toronto reserves manhandled the Montreal reserves, it's no wonder why Bernier didn't go to the Gold Cup - that team has no-one behind their starters (granted, not the reason provided by CSA). They are a great team at the moment, but also on the backs of some old players - if they get injured, that team could have some massive challenges in the latter part of the year.

Richter is a good example of a depth player that has been asked to fill in and doing pretty much what he's expected to do, which is not anything great. Does he improve the team? No, but he has cheaply filled a void on the team, and hasn't been extremely terrible. He is not a long-term answer, but his short-term presence (and thse like him) is necessary. Even more so if CONCACAF dates start to creep into your schedule.
    Cap management is the team's problem... if a team wants to blow all their money on couple of players... *shrug*

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Probably some depth to make up for the Gold Cup losses. Can't really get worked up about a 60k utility player.
    Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm not getting too worked up over this - he'll probably be gone at the end of the season (that is, if he hasn't shown anything).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei needs to be moved along with lamb. Maybe a package deal. And since u pointed out that russel has a greencard he should go back to england anyway richter is a backup to eks anyway. Morgan a backup to o'dea . Dont dorget califf needs to go aswell

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Frei needs to be moved along with lamb. Maybe a package deal. And since u pointed out that russel has a greencard he should go back to england anyway richter is a backup to eks anyway. Morgan a backup to o'dea . Dont dorget califf needs to go aswell
    Nobody in MLS in their right mind is going to take Lambe.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Except Dallas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lamb makes almost nothing but is intl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^^^ Except Dallas
    RJ not doing so poorly for Portland either. Not being a TFC player can make wonders for ones' career.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    RJ not doing so poorly for Portland either. Not being a TFC player can make wonders for ones' career.
    I wouldn't expect anything from Lambe at TFC or elsewhere. What you see is what you get. If any team would take him for anything it'd be a steal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I wouldn't expect anything from Lambe at TFC or elsewhere. What you see is what you get. If any team would take him for anything it'd be a steal.
    I saw a promise from him under AW. He was able to compete well with Soolsma ( who I wish was still here ) for a role.