Page 44 of 288 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 8618
  1. #1291
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That's kind of interesting... Not that interesting though.

    Regarding a lot of the names being thrown out there: Lambe, Soolsma, Bostock, etc... I'd rather move forward than backwards. Particularly Soolsma, lack of pace kills it for me. With the type of football we want to play (high pressure, capitalize quickly on mistakes, winger must play two-way) he is not a fit.

    This league has an adjustment period so I would not be too quick to push anyone out the door. That being said I haven't seen enough from any of our wide players to suggest they can stick.
    On topic of Soolsma, he was the TFC only player I can think of, who actually improved while with this team, working with ass off while not making the first team. Who is to say with his drive he could not done/become even more?
    And despite some perceived awkwardness about him, he was very effective at what he did.
    I wish current management gave him a call.
    Last edited by starter; 04-29-2013 at 10:44 AM.

  2. #1292
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Frozen Swampland
    Posts
    17,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    On topic of Soolsma, he was the TFC only player I can think of, who actually improved while with this team, working with ass off while not making the first team. Who is to say with his drive he could not done done/become even more?
    And despite some perceived awkwardness about him, he was very effective at what he did.
    I wish current management gave him a call.
    basically was playing in Dutch beer league when TFC picked him up. and just turned only 25

    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

    I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

    And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

    -Eduardo Galeano

  3. #1293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    225 (sometimes)
    Posts
    1,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    soolsma was great. Definitrly one of the players that i regretted seeing go. It was especially annoying because it seemed like he got the boot for no real reason. Some people attributed it to the bar police incident and if that was really the case then it's pathetic.

    I don't know if i would actively look to bring him back because i don't know if he's really better than the type of guys payne is scouting, but he was definitely better than the majority of what was on the team when he got the boot. It was such a stupid decision at the time.

  4. #1294
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    basically was playing in Dutch beer league when TFC picked him up. and just turned only 25
    For Soolsma MLS was a step up, he WAS motivated. It is harder to keep guys like Efraim/Bostok/Eckersley motivated, when their aspirations could be elsewhere.
    That is why it is sad to loose a guy like Soolsma, who was doing all the right things to succeed.
    Bar incident was just an excuse (for short shorts), and if anything just showed that he was willing to stand up for his buddies.

  5. #1295
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    soolsma was a game closer

    He is eactly what he need to shut down games in the last minutes, he holds onto the ball and makes accurate passes.

    Letting him go was a terrible move and bringing him back would tell fans it was a mistake. His and DK were and can be lethal together.

  6. #1296
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    basically was playing in Dutch beer league when TFC picked him up. and just turned only 25
    The interesting thing with that is that he came here from the Hoofdkasse (second tier amateur league, fourth tier overall), then when he went back he signed with Feyenoord's feeder club in the Eerste Divisie, which has just been relegate from the Eredivisie. How many other players have come to TFC and left to a higher level club than what they were at before they came here?

  7. #1297
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,679
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    The interesting thing with that is that he came here from the Hoofdkasse (second tier amateur league, fourth tier overall), then when he went back he signed with Feyenoord's feeder club in the Eerste Divisie, which has just been relegate from the Eredivisie. How many other players have come to TFC and left to a higher level club than what they were at before they came here?
    Really? Try everybody.

  8. #1298
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Really? Try everybody.
    Okay wise ass, humor me with at least one name.

  9. #1299
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Edu.....

  10. #1300
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Edu.....
    He was the one other player I was thinking. But we also didn't really scout him, we drafted him. Plus it's pretty hard for someone who came here from NCAA to play for a lower level team when they move on.

  11. #1301
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near the Danforth
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's good to see people speaking up for Nick. I remember seeing quite a few posters here (back when we had Soolsma), that were very critical of him. I'd take him back for sure.

  12. #1302
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,679
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Okay wise ass, humor me with at least one name.
    Attakora, Wynne, Casey, Cronin, Edu, Gargan, Nane, now playing for better teams.

  13. #1303
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All you have to do when comparing Bostock and Soolsma is watch that video and make note of how two footed Soolsma is. He plays the ball on both feet more in one 10 second clip than Bostock will in an entire game.

    Bostock is a little bit of flash and not much more. His right foot may as well be a kick stand and when you limit yourself that much you'd better be all world on your strong foot....and he's not.

    I'd take a Soolsma type player over a Bostock type player any day of the week.

  14. #1304
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    East York
    Posts
    606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    All you have to do when comparing Bostock and Soolsma is watch that video and make note of how two footed Soolsma is. He plays the ball on both feet more in one 10 second clip than Bostock will in an entire game.

    Bostock is a little bit of flash and not much more. His right foot may as well be a kick stand and when you limit yourself that much you'd better be all world on your strong foot....and he's not.

    I'd take a Soolsma type player over a Bostock type player any day of the week.
    Let's be fair, Bostock isn't a winger he's naturally supposed to be playing attacking midfield, centre of the pitch. Soolsma was a (right?) winger so putting it on both his feet helped him slide around the defender and whip a cross in. Bostock only really NATURALLY should be running at a defender, does a fancy move and shoots. Much like his very first game against Kansas. He cut into the box and the defend fouled him. That's what he's naturally equiped to do. He shouldn't be making runs along the wing for 90 minutes.

    We're comparing apples and oranges. That's like me saying god Ashtone Morgan has been awful this year, I miss Nick Garcia.

  15. #1305
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Attakora, Wynne, Casey, Cronin, Edu, Gargan, Nane, now playing for better teams.
    I said higher level teams, as in at a higher tier league.
    Attakora started his career at TFC and hasn't gone to a higher level team. SJ may be a better team, but they're in the same tier as us.
    Cronin - same
    Nane started his career here and is now playing in a lower tier - lol
    Edu also started his career here and is the only one you mentioned that has gone on to play for a higher level team.
    Wynne has stayed in the same tier his whole career. He was in MLS before TFC, and he was and still is in MLS after TFC.
    Gargan came from a lower tier but is still playing for MLS teams - he might be the only one you mentioned who actually belongs in that group of players who used TFC to move forward in their careers.
    Casey came from the Bundesliga and is now playing in MLS (step down). Besides that he only played two games so you can't really say that he used TFC as a stepping stone.

    Remember, we're comparing the level they were at BEFORE coming to TFC to the level they went to after TFC. Sighting draft picks doesn't really count because TFC was essentially their first team. Their careers would have to completely fail and end up playing beer league for them to be at a lower level than where they were when they came to TFC. Heck they could go to where Soolsma CAME from (dutch fourth division) and still be at a higher level than the teams they were at before TFC.

    so congratulations, you've named one, arguably two players players who are at a higher level now than where they were before TFC. I guess it does fulfill the "at least one" I asked you to name, but still a lot less than the everybody you claim.


    Now lets talk about some fucking player movement

  16. #1306
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Let's be fair, Bostock isn't a winger he's naturally supposed to be playing attacking midfield, centre of the pitch. Soolsma was a (right?) winger so putting it on both his feet helped him slide around the defender and whip a cross in. Bostock only really NATURALLY should be running at a defender, does a fancy move and shoots. Much like his very first game against Kansas. He cut into the box and the defend fouled him. That's what he's naturally equiped to do. He shouldn't be making runs along the wing for 90 minutes.

    We're comparing apples and oranges. That's like me saying god Ashtone Morgan has been awful this year, I miss Nick Garcia.
    http://www.football.co.uk/tottenham_...s4083078.shtml
    “I am an attacking player but my natural position is centre midfielder. There’s a lot of competition in the midfield at the moment so I’m happy to play wing for the team but I’ve grown up in centre midfield.”“I like to attack,” said Bostock. “I like to play on the wings as well.”
    Bostock also says he's playing out of his natural position. Although personally I wouldn't trust him defensively at central midfield since he can't even track back on the wing - where who you are supposed to be marking is much more obvious. Maybe if Bruan is out for a while he could get a shot as the 10 behind Silva and Earnshaw. Although even then I don't see him doing nearly as much work off the ball as Silva does so it could still leave us exposed at the back

  17. #1307
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,679
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I said higher level teams, as in at a higher tier league.
    Attakora started his career at TFC and hasn't gone to a higher level team. SJ may be a better team, but they're in the same tier as us.
    Cronin - same
    Nane started his career here and is now playing in a lower tier - lol
    Edu also started his career here and is the only one you mentioned that has gone on to play for a higher level team.
    Wynne has stayed in the same tier his whole career. He was in MLS before TFC, and he was and still is in MLS after TFC.
    Gargan came from a lower tier but is still playing for MLS teams - he might be the only one you mentioned who actually belongs in that group of players who used TFC to move forward in their careers.
    Casey came from the Bundesliga and is now playing in MLS (step down). Besides that he only played two games so you can't really say that he used TFC as a stepping stone.

    Remember, we're comparing the level they were at BEFORE coming to TFC to the level they went to after TFC. Sighting draft picks doesn't really count because TFC was essentially their first team. Their careers would have to completely fail and end up playing beer league for them to be at a lower level than where they were when they came to TFC. Heck they could go to where Soolsma CAME from (dutch fourth division) and still be at a higher level than the teams they were at before TFC.

    so congratulations, you've named one, arguably two players players who are at a higher level now than where they were before TFC. I guess it does fulfill the "at least one" I asked you to name, but still a lot less than the everybody you claim.


    Now lets talk about some fucking player movement
    I understood your point, but u may have missed mine. TFC belongs in the USL based on their performance over 7 seasons, so any player who was drafted by us and who now plays in MLS meets your criteria.

  18. #1308
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

    Word.


    He was good value depth.

  19. #1309
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I understood your point, but u may have missed mine. TFC belongs in the USL based on their performance over 7 seasons, so any player who was drafted by us and who now plays in MLS meets your criteria.
    lol fair enough. I didn't catch that it was a jab at the level of TFC. Makes sense now

  20. #1310
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    11,625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    All you have to do when comparing Bostock and Soolsma is watch that video and make note of how two footed Soolsma is. He plays the ball on both feet more in one 10 second clip than Bostock will in an entire game.

    Bostock is a little bit of flash and not much more. His right foot may as well be a kick stand and when you limit yourself that much you'd better be all world on your strong foot....and he's not.

    I'd take a Soolsma type player over a Bostock type player any day of the week.
    Agreed, although I would like to see what Bostock can do in his natural position at AM, wherein his weak right foot would not be exposed. I would try him as a late game sub for Silva.

  21. #1311
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,365
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    It's good to see people speaking up for Nick. I remember seeing quite a few posters here (back when we had Soolsma), that were very critical of him. I'd take him back for sure.
    100% Maybe it's weird or lame but I sent his Dutch club a message a while back, through Twitter, to tell him we'd love to have him back. Letting him go ranks as one of the worst decisions TFC has made and that's saying a lot. I don't care - I want Soolsma back.

  22. #1312
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    with perpetual hope
    Posts
    3,617
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    That was sweet. He was pure class , a gentleman and our BEST crosser. He took on defenders constanty on the wing, very deceiving, and if he was so average then why did he shine against the mexicans so well. Mariner could not tell talent if it
    spoke to him from a beer stein.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

  23. #1313
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Frozen Swampland
    Posts
    17,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    That was sweet. He was pure class , a gentleman and our BEST crosser. He took on defenders constanty on the wing, very deceiving, and if he was so average then why did he shine against the mexicans so well. Mariner could not tell talent if it
    spoke to him from a beer stein.
    Srsly. If you're good enough to make Santos Laguna shit their pants, you have some talent. I've yet to see a Mexican team having to make a sub just to counter an MLS player in 1st half because he owned them so much except for Soolsma

    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

    I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

    And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

    -Eduardo Galeano

  24. #1314
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    with perpetual hope
    Posts
    3,617
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yohan, thanks for those Soolsma highlights! I had forgotten most of those.



    Huge difference between those three players being that Soolsma was very effective with TFC, especially for the salary he was paid. And for most of his time here, he was extremely consistent, beating fullbacks & putting in multiple good crosses just about every game. (Of course there wasn't always an effective striker at the end of those crosses, especially when Koevs wasn't playing.)

    Sure it can make sense to remember previous players: 1) In cases like these, to realize what a silly decision it was to let him go. Just like Cronin & a few others. Who knows, maybe it can help to avoid similar dumb decisions in the future. 2) To realize what type of player is missing now. TFC doesn't have anybody at the moment who can work the wing & whip in crosses nearly as well as Soolsma. That will become even more noticeable when Koevermans is back -- with our current players he won't be getting much of the service he needs. 3) Who knows, maybe Soolsma would come back under new management, especially if Koevermans starts playing again, and if Soolsma has been recuperating from injury & hasn't had much playing time in the Netherlands. Doesn't hurt to ask; or at least to chat about it in this thread!

    I realize Soolsma's international spot was a strike against him. However, these days we're trying the likes of Hogan Ephraim on the wing: also international; MUCH less effective than Soolsma; and I bet Ephraim is being paid MUCH more than Soolsma was. Maybe current management needs to be reminded to look around in other countries for decent talent.

    Until we get another winger as good and as (relatively) inexpensive as Soolsma, we will probably keep talking about him!
    simply I would rather have Soolsma than Lambe taking up an inter spot. It is quite simple one can predict Reggie Lambe always and give him some contact and he disappears from the game. Soolsma would beat one the majority of the time and relishes contact = making his presence felt.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

  25. #1315
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If we're only allowed to have one thread about rumored trades (this being it) than the mods need to start policing it better. Tired of having to go through dozens of posts about everything but new players. Delete off topic posts, warn and ban repeat offenders. Its long overdue.

  26. #1316
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ajax (Top O'114 on gameday)
    Posts
    3,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    If we're only allowed to have one thread about rumored trades (this being it) than the mods need to start policing it better. Tired of having to go through dozens of posts about everything but new players. Delete off topic posts, warn and ban repeat offenders. Its long overdue.
    Agree...I kept coming here today to read about possible new player signing info and see that it has become a Soolsma thread. Start a new thread about Soolsma if you want guys...let's get back to topic. Thanks.

  27. #1317
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Attakora, Wynne, Casey, Cronin, Edu, Gargan, Nane, now playing for better teams.
    Are the New York Cosmos even a team? I don't even want to address the part about them being better than TFC.

  28. #1318
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    If we're only allowed to have one thread about rumored trades (this being it) than the mods need to start policing it better. Tired of having to go through dozens of posts about everything but new players. Delete off topic posts, warn and ban repeat offenders. Its long overdue.
    Read the thread title: general player moves/speculation/etc
    Notice the "speculation/etc". I see very few posts that aren't speculation about who we could/should/want to get, or related to that. It's not a based rumors only thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Agree...I kept coming here today to read about possible new player signing info and see that it has become a Soolsma thread. Start a new thread about Soolsma if you want guys...let's get back to topic. Thanks.
    We're mostly speculating about if we could bring him back. I don't see how that's off topic in a transfer speculation thread. Maybe some stuff is irrelevant, but most seems on topic to me
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 04-29-2013 at 09:25 PM.

  29. #1319
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    19,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Speculation

    Bostock has been a CM and thinks he is a CM. And Bostock isn't good enough to be a CM with us. He's not better then Silva. He's maybe better then Bekker, but in comparison costs too much. He's not a DM. His mindset is he has to play the midfield. What he's being told is he's not good enough so try the wing. I don't thinks he's listening. So he's not really a future winger for us.

    Couple that mindset with his perceived softness (remember the story about him at a practice going down and being ignored) and I suspect he will not be here for long. Shame, because he's not smart enough yet to be a CM.

  30. #1320
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Frozen Swampland
    Posts
    17,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Speculation

    Bostock has been a CM and thinks he is a CM. And Bostock isn't good enough to be a CM with us. He's not better then Silva. He's maybe better then Bekker, but in comparison costs too much. He's not a DM. His mindset is he has to play the midfield. What he's being told is he's not good enough so try the wing. I don't thinks he's listening. So he's not really a future winger for us.

    Couple that mindset with his perceived softness (remember the story about him at a practice going down and being ignored) and I suspect he will not be here for long. Shame, because he's not smart enough yet to be a CM.
    it'd be easy to dismiss Bostock as suck at CM... if he actually plays a game as CM for TFC. actually, he's an AM, which really has no spot in TFC

    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

    I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

    And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

    -Eduardo Galeano

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •