Page 1 of 288 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Thought we could open an in-season rumour mill now that the first match is behind us and that we could start it with this:

Toronto FC@torontofc#TFC training update: Jaime Peters, Ryan Richter & Lance Rozeboom on trial with the club. #TFClive

Some new names in there... What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC@torontofc#TFC training update: Jake Hustedt & Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault remain on trial. #TFClive

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peters could be decent at back. The other two are young DCU/PU castoffs, so shows Payne is turning back to look forward. I don't mind, as long as it doesn't funk up our roster with duds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Knew I'd heard the name Rozeboom somewhere, guess he's the ex-PU guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see how JBB isn't a upgrade on Hall or Dunfield in the centre of the park. He is a steady foot that is needed out there.

Peters could be a cheap domestic back up for Eckersly and could even possible regain some of the form he had at Ipswitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is Bostock still around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    is Bostock still around?
    Toronto FC@torontofc
    @GavinandKate: @torontofc What is the word on Bostock? #TFC” Bostock continues to train with the club. #TFClive

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bostock is still training with TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Onstad's back from Argentina. Says it'll be a couple weeks before news on a player's potential signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bekker out of training with the flu. #TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So thats 6 trialists training with the club currently.

Clearly there must be a few current squad guys on the way out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know he's already "here" but this is new regarding Earnshaw.

Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUNCORRECTION: Earnshaw signed on loan through July. "We'll see then," he said. Enjoying the here and now. #TFC

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think both management and supporters of this club would be amazed by how much our results would improve if Hall and Dunfield never started for TFC again. Hopefully this raft of trialists helps make that a reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why all the hate for Dunfield, hes not a bad player. I do not get why people hate him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andmat View Post
    Why all the hate for Dunfield, hes not a bad player.
    No not a bad player, but also not started on a good team in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why all the hate for Dunfield, hes not a bad player. I do not get why people hate him.
    For some reason that I have not been able to work out some on this forum would like Dunfield put up against a wall and shot.

While I agree that he is not a superstar he works very hard, shows leadership on the field and scores key goals. He had the two best chances on Saturday by being in the right place at the right time although he probably should have scored with the header. He seems to be thought of quite highly by the coaching staff as Winter, Mariner and now Nelsen all put him out there.

I can only think that the haters either don't know a useful player when they see one or perhaps they are Man United fans who resent that he played for City.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    I can only think that the haters either don't know a useful player when they see one
    This.

Plus it's always a thing around here to identify a player to blame for everything, one who usually does their job but isn't flashy and works hard (like Dunfield) but will heap praise on other players who actually accomplished less, looked flashy, but had reps as not being the hardest working types around (Avila).

As I said before many times; every good team in the league has a Dunfield type player on their rosters. Some start, some sub but they all have them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've never had a problem with Dunfield. At the same time, I don't think he should be a (regular) starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that if the whole team is healthy (which never happens) Dunfield is more than capable of coming off the bench. I don't mind him fighting for a starting spot, and getting some starts when starters are injured, or if we have a bunch of games clustered together (example: if we happen to qualify for Champs League).

I also love his shitty goal celebrations. He clearly cares about the team, and works hard.

I want to see what it looks like to have Dunfield beside Cesar when he returns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KurtLarSUN: Nelsen says he's hoping Bostock deal will be done soon. #TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    Would provide a big boost for the team heading into the weekend. I assume he is fit because he has been with the team for a while, just need the contract done and he should be able to slot in sat.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an issue with a central midfielder who tends to pass backwards or sideways. I don't think that's what a CM should do.

DM for Dunfield? Well, maybe. But then I also don't think Dunfield tracks well in tandem with others, which is a primary skill for a DM. I put this up to him not being as able to read the play consistently as is needed at this level.

Which is why I think he'd make a decent DM replacement coming off the bench when a good DM is beside him.

Hard to hate a guy who works so hard and obviously loves the game and the team. But he's a journeyman who's had more of a chance then he should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    Not surprised, prob another trial till July

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I know he's already "here" but this is new regarding Earnshaw.

Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUNCORRECTION: Earnshaw signed on loan through July. "We'll see then," he said. Enjoying the here and now. #TFC
    I thought Tfc and Paybe said it was a signing and not a loan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bostock and Peters would provide adequate depth at the AM and RB positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC ASN@TorontoFCasn@Aljarov: @TorontoFCasn Taylor Morgan is apparently Canadian. Who knew?! (Per MLS)”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is one of my favorite players, he does his job well and works his ass off, people don't see it much because DM isn't exactly a 'glory' position and stopping/slowing an opponent making a run so that someone else on your team can intercept a pass isn't something most people can even identify (myself often included). He doesn't make more mistakes than most BUT his position is such that when he does it is a big deal and can often lead to goals for the opposition.

I think dollar for dollar he is probably the best value we have on the entire team.

If I actually had some time I would love to get some people together to make a banner to give the guy some much deserved love.

All that said, I think I just made up my mind as to who I am getting on my new kit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting comments about TFC's attempt to sign Olof Mellberg:

ESPN: Much has been made about the league intervening in transfers like with Brek Shea. But I recall that there was an incident in Toronto last year where it was reported that they wanted to buy a player, Olof Mellberg, and the league stepped in and prevented it. Do you think it’s appropriate for the league to intervene in cases like that?

DG: At this level of our development, I think the league should continue to have enormous influence as to what kinds of decisions should be made so that teams don’t make decisions that can either compromise them, or have a negative effect on what it is we’re trying to achieve. Our view on Mellberg was that it was just not a decision that would be smart for TFC, or smart for the league as a whole. We are hesitant to ever say no but are really strong in assuring that we work with our clubs to have them make good decisions. It is that process that has put us in the position to be far more successful, and have accomplished far more than most people thought we would be able to achieve. That model works and will continue to work for the near future.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/soccerusa/id/1732?cc=5901

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Lucky for opening this thread.

A reminder that all speculation and rumours and general discussion go in this thread, individual threads can be started for confirmed by conventional media or the club player news.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To continue the discussion, some quotes from the off-season thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    You would think this league wouldn't need rules on running your team like morons. Really, what would be the upside for TFC signing Mellburg? The team was in last and not making the playoffs. What would a few more wins gain? A worse draft pick? Some short term improvements to help sell tickets and make Mariner look better? If TFC had signed Mellberg the team would be in an even worse position moving forward then they are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Personally I'm a bit shocked RE Garber's words about the Mellberg situation. I'll eat some crow on that one. I never thought last summer that the league would have interfered so judgmentally in a specific player signing. I figured if the league had interfered, it would have been due to TFC's overall DP situation (e.g., Frings + Koevermans injured but still on the books + JDG to Dallas but a big chunk of his salary still covered by Toronto + the hasty Hassli signing + Mellberg???).

Now mind you, MLS probably did interfere more vigorously in the case of TFC due to our history -- overpaying JDG; Mista; overpaying for Ecks & many others since 2007; the Plata signing & not knowing there was a hefty transfer fee due for him; etc. etc.

Also, it does seem like Garber lied, changing his story between this interview & his earlier words quoted above. I'm generally not happy with the league's lack of transparency. However, there is one explanation that would tie these changing stories together somewhat: likely Mariner & Co. wanted Mellberg, but perhaps MLS went to the MLSE owners and convinced them that Mellberg wasn't worth it: too much money for a defender in a lost season.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    People in management positions lie sometimes. They have to. What does a manager say to the employee who has heard a rumour that he is going to be canned, when the manager knows it could be true but can't say anything yet? 99% of the time the manager lies, and it's usually not because he/she is an asshole, or trying to cheat the employee.

It's a question of context and motive. Some execs think that, because you have to lie on rare occasion, what the hell, it justifies lying all the time. It's a slippery slope. We've seen a couple of those associated with our team. (But that's a different topic.)

Garber understood what was going on here and was obviously working on getting the message through to MLSE's new owners. These things couldn't be done through the newspapers. Remember, the sale hadn't closed. There wasn't a lot he could really do other than protect us the way he did. He had the long term interest of our franchise at heart when absolutely nobody else in the universe did. He was our only friend in 2012. (Let's be clear, this wasn't altruism, he also didn't want these clowns to continue screwing the league salary structure up. That was his other motive, and it was a biggie.)

I salute him for it.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto