Page 226 of 288 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236276 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,780 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    It was probably done so fast because the offer was there, was good, and Forlan was pretty much coming. We'll never get a straight answer on what happened but if the rumour that he wanted an extra $3M all of a sudden was true or if he just decided to stay close to home there's not much you can do. I'm happy that never worked out anyway. Another way to look at it is that the allocation for Silva may be the reason we signed Caldwell for $90K. Since allocation amounts are a mystery maybe it was enough to cover Caldwell, Rey, and Elmer. Or maybe even Urruti if all the stories about gym building are true.

If at the end of the day we lost Silva, Dunfield, and O' Dea but gained Caldwell, Rey, Elmer, Bloom, Thomas, and Urruti then I consider us at least moving in the right direction so far.
    Sorry I didn't read this prior to my previous post, it's the same point I was trying to make.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    a lot of players who sign for a new club do really well in their first few games, see Earnshaw for us. Silva scored early for us in his career against LA if I recall. Let's talk about Silva after 8-9 games, after 15-20 games, if he is still knocking in goals then maybe we messed up, but I think after this little hot streak he will settle back to being that frustrating nearly good player he was for us.As many have said, he did have potential but at 25 you really need to be at your peak not threatening to be. Osario is better than him now and much younger. Always sad to see players who clearly have ability leave, but that is the nature of the game
    Totally agree. The new team bounce. He did the same last year after Mariner came. Once he settles in I expect him to go back to being how he was here. I figure DC really wanted him as he can replace DeRo. They are similar in that both want to be AMs but are more effective at forward. Olsen set this team up to let DeRo do his thing and maybe they'll just drop Silva in his place when they dump him. I expect DeRo to be bought out anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The craziness around this Urruti situation is probably not unique. I can see why MLS 1.0 wasn't able to get too much talent from S Amer despite loads of people saying they should. Now with ownership groups maybe are a bit more equipped to deal with this kind of stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    What if we got $300 to $500k allocation money for Silva? I would take that! That's going to help no end in the long term. Unfortunately, we all want success now, but it doesn't happen like that. Allocation is worth gold in the MLS.
    That's probably what we did get. The press release only said allocation, not whether it was partial or full. Partial is supposed to be up to $150k and full about twice that. Since it was an "offer we couldn't refuse" I'm assuming it was a high end full allocation, but we'll never find out exactly how much.

It is gold though, and I think Payne is the first GM we've had who knows how to use it properly. I get the impression Payne is one of the better gamers of the cap out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw.........any rumours????............. at least the league as a whole has improved considerably during these last 2 windows.
    Last edited by gate7; 08-10-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    WOW A STAR player in a US COLLEGE, sign him for millions please.

Avg player, will never be a superstar. TFC needs a DP at AM, if you can't see that than whatever. Keep crying about losing a 25 yr old guy who is already been replaced by a younger/better/cheaper/Canadian player.
    Hey, you watch what you're saying. That Silva kid's going to tear this league a new one.

Realistically, he's a bit player at this level. He just never gets involved enough in games; he has great technical skill but, as was the knock on him before the draft, simply not the work rate to be a midfielder; his defense isn't particularly good, either. That leaves him as a one-dimensional attacking player; in this league, the only guys who get away with that are players like Higuain, Ferreira, Schellotto.

He was considered a star in college but a lot of scouts at the draft DIDN'T rate him as likely to go in the first round, due to his lack of speed and ability to cover ground. I think he's like Hassli: so much skill that if you played him 32 games a year, you'd probably get 10 goals out of him. But you'd lose so much in other areas by having him on the pitch.

And no, that doesn't excuse players like Lambe from still being here and still being shit. But that's a false economy; the onyl reason he's still here is BECAUSE he's too shit to be in demand. Silva's technique makes him attractive to a team desperate for offense like DC. We're desperate for offense too, but we're also rebuilding the core of our team from the ground up; DC isn't. They've had most of their components for several years now and just lack goals.

And I wouldn't be surprised, given that trade allocation doesn't carry over from year to year, if we got up to a half-million in allocation space, which is probabl why Steven Caldwell is only making 90K a year officially.

It's one thing to lament a lack of progress; that's fair. But Chevy, you sound like Roogsy now; on the one hand, you seem to think acknowledge our old management was inept; on the other hand, you rely on their vision of a good player at the draft to establish that Silva is a star. You can't eat your cake and have it, too. They can't be both great judges of talent and idiotically poor judges of talent.

I think the current crew have yet to prove anything. I also think, given that most of us were realistic to see that an NASL-level team would take more than a year, that they haven't failed at anything yet, either. It's too early.

Should they shut the fuck up? Yes. But when it comes to making extreme statements rather than seeing a little nuance in life, we should all probably shut the fuck up occasionally. Payne is a promoter; 90% of this talk isn't for the diehards, who they assume will never leave, it's for the other 13,000 people who may or may not come to the game. And some of it is just dumb ego, assuming they can get things done faster than they can.

But the jury is still solidly out on this regime, and last time I checked, SIlva or no, we had seven of our last nine points. I'm going to call that a pleasant surprise, not an assumption that the job is or should be done by now.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-10-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Hey, you watch what you're saying. That Silva kid's going to tear this league a new one.

Realistically, he's a bit player at this level. He just never gets involved enough in games; he has great technical skill but, as was the knock on him before the draft, simply not the work rate to be a midfielder; his defense isn't particularly good, either. That leaves him as a one-dimensional attacking player; in this league, the only guys who get away with that are players like Higuain, Ferreira, Schellotto.

He was considered a star in college but a lot of scouts at the draft DIDN'T rate him as likely to go in the first round, due to his lack of speed and ability to cover ground. I think he's like Hassli: so much skill that if you played him 32 games a year, you'd probably get 10 goals out of him. But you'd lose so much in other areas by having him on the pitch.

And no, that doesn't excuse players like Lambe from still being here and still being shit. But that's a false economy; the onyl reason he's still here is BECAUSE he's too shit to be in demand. Silva's technique makes him attractive to a team desperate for offense like DC. We're desperate for offense too, but we're also rebuilding the core of our team from the ground up; DC isn't. They've had most of their components for several years now and just lack goals.

And I wouldn't be surprised, given that trade allocation doesn't carry over from year to year, if we got up to a half-million in allocation space, which is probabl why Steven Caldwell is only making 90K a year officially.

It's one thing to lament a lack of progress; that's fair. But Chevy, you sound like Roogsy now; on the one hand, you seem to think acknowledge our old management was inept; on the other hand, you rely on their vision of a good player at the draft to establish that Silva is a star. You can't eat your cake and have it, too. They can't be both great judges of talent and idiotically poor judges of talent.

I think the current crew have yet to prove anything. I also think, given that most of us were realistic to see that an NASL-level team would take more than a year, that they haven't failed at anything yet, either. It's too early.

Should they shut the fuck up? Yes. But when it comes to making extreme statements rather than seeing a little nuance in life, we should all probably shut the fuck up occasionally. Payne is a promoter; 90% of this talk isn't for the diehards, who they assume will never leave, it's for the other 13,000 people who may or may not come to the game. And some of it is just dumb ego, assuming they can get things done faster than they can.

But the jury is still solidly out on this regime, and last time I checked, SIlva or no, we had seven of our last nine points. I'm going to call that a pleasant surprise, not an assumption that the job is or should be done by now.
    Ok, I concede. No more whining about losing Silva. I will find something else to gripe about.. Whatever happened to Roogsy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Ok, I concede. No more whining about losing Silva. I will find something else to gripe about.. Whatever happened to Roogsy?
    Pissed in the drinking well one too many times, got banned. I imagine he's still active on other boards, very passionate guy.

Maybe Jon Arne Riise?

http://www.football365.com/news/2155...Riise-Released

He's only 32, good winger, good fullback when needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pissed in the drinking well one too many times, got banned. I imagine he's still active on other boards, very passionate guy.

Maybe Jon Arne Riise?

http://www.football365.com/news/2155...Riise-Released

He's only 32, good winger, good fullback when needed.
    Also, http://www.football365.com/transfer-...and-leaves-QPR

Seems unlikely having signed caldwell but you never know.

(haha, just replied to my own message. #narcissist.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anton has already signed for a team in Turkey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, http://www.football365.com/transfer-...and-leaves-QPR

Seems unlikely having signed caldwell but you never know.

(haha, just replied to my own message. #narcissist.)
    Ever thought of a scouting assignment with TFC? I think the manager could use some help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
    Flying in on Monday...stop me if you heard that one before. Seems more definitive this time though. Someone make sure they don't unveil a hologram of Urruti, he's pretty much like a mystical unicorn at this point.
    Last edited by dantdot; 08-10-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who is going to the airport on monday to confirm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With our luck, odds are as followed:
    - Doesn't sign 1.75
    - Signs but gets home sick 1.5
    - Signs, is terrible the rest of the season, forcing a decision 1.25
    - signs, does ok, suffers a career ending injury last game of the season. 2.5

Sorry, but we've been talking about this guy for so long, there's no way he could ever meet the expectations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel exactly the same way, its like the FO is treating him like comming of Jesus or something. He isnt the only good SA player, seems to me they have all their eggs in this basket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I feel exactly the same way, its like the FO is treating him like comming of Jesus or something. He isnt the only good SA player, seems to me they have all their eggs in this basket.
    Well he was heavily scouted similar to Laba. Payne, O'Leary and Onstad have seen him so I assume they think he'll be a good addition. At least it's not a Mariner scouting report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Well he was heavily scouted similar to Laba. Payne, O'Leary and Onstad have seen him so I assume they think he'll be a good addition. At least it's not a Mariner scouting report.
    Also, they've been after other South Americans - like Moralez and Forlan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miker View Post
    Also, they've been after other South Americans - like Moralez and Forlan.
    Forlan, just seems like such a crazy rumour. Im sure he would consider it but not until after the World Cup and he does have a fairly good chance of making it on to the Uruguay roster for 2014. Moralez as well. It just seems like maybe the Montreal Impact supporters started a rumour and it started the same song and dance that never ends.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Forlan, just seems like such a crazy rumour. Im sure he would consider it but not until after the World Cup and he does have a fairly good chance of making it on to the Uruguay roster for 2014. Moralez as well. It just seems like maybe the Montreal Impact supporters started a rumour and it started the same song and dance that never ends.

There must have been something there for the Globe to go ahead with the big Forlan piece. Funny how they've not retracted it, as far as I've heard.

Moralez was real as well.. we know that Nelson went to Italy.

So... nothing to do with Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal rumours?

Joey pays his players under the table, now that's a rumor.
    Expect, it's Quebec,
    And they love to bribe
    And he's Italian
    So Mafia.

Doesn't seem like such a rumor anymore...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we have a gm that it is a founding father of this league and spent 17 years with one club and now he's here because he wants to be. Riiiiiiiiight. Lol

The league sent him to save us and I'm sure there's lots going on behind the scenes in our favour now.

Montreal did it without the help of the league. We're currently a charity case.

And I'm happy for it. It's about time we start playing the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I feel exactly the same way, its like the FO is treating him like coming of Jesus or something. ....

No, the Messiah is playing for Seattle....he came in yesterday in the first half.

Seriously, I don't think anybody is treating Urruti as a saviour; we've just spent so long talking about him and our offence is so bad that he has to be an upgrade.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forlan not in the starting 18 for Inter today. (Insert jaws theme)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Forlan not in the starting 18 for Inter today. (Insert jaws theme)
    Don't be starting rumors now lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im simply stated a fact... If people want to think why inter's leading scorer isn't playing the same week Paye said TFC would likely announce something. Coincidence? I think not!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could be onto something and now I'm going to search around twitter to see if theres any reason he never played

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
    You could be onto something and now I'm going to search around twitter to see if theres any reason he never played
    Muahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Im simply stated a fact... If people want to think why inter's leading scorer isn't playing the same week Paye said TFC would likely announce something. Coincidence? I think not!

I cant take it anymore!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League forked out the 3 extra million that Inter was looking for after doing the same for Dempsey?