Page 3 of 288 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    Dunfiled works hard. - Agreed
    Dunfield is effective? - NO!
    Dunfield should be kept in the team? - YES!
    Dunfield as starter? - NO!

Dunfield works really heard and had a few converted chances and scored few big goals (by probability and law of average, he will convert some of the chances, but he shanks more chances as we've seen). He does give it all and is a true warrior (keep in the team). He is disruptive to the opposition (tackles hard, will throw the body into challenges, albeit not nimble, but destructive to the play). Unfortunately, he's also disruption to our game flow. He stifles midfield movement with poor first touch, long reaction time, and lack of movement. It's all about opportunity cost, having Dunfield in the starting 11 may see him score a few goals and make some good plays, but the cost of that is: we could have someone else that has way better with movement, first touch and ball control (Silva, Bekkar, Ephraim, Earnshaw for instance). When the likes of Silva, Bekkar, Ephraim, Ecks takes 1 touch to trap/receive the ball, 1 touch to pass it and making movement before/after receiving pass (All of that takes 1 second combined), we see Dunfield takes 1 heavy touch and have to retain control, then looks up to see what he'll do, then have to either back pass or side pass because he was not in position or not making movement into next position (All of that takes 2-3 seconds, and opposition has closed the gap and has time to challenge him), our possession went from active to passive.
    Totally agree. At this level, the least you should expect from a central midfielder is to win balls, run hard for 90 minutes and have distribution skills. He's got none of the latter. At best should be a sub.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They play the same position. This would be recreating the Hassli problem.

I wouldn't expect anyone to use 2 DP slots at CF.

Only exception might be someone who put fannies in the seats (ie Del Piero). But otherwise, it's dumb.
    In no way at all is Koevs gone or is this a repitition of the Hassli problem. This Argentinian is a 5'10 145lb centre forward, I can see him maybe pushing Silva out of his position, or playing behind Koevs in the future. At no way is he capable of holding the ball up in a 4-1-3-1 which we're currently (sort of) playing. I figure the only reason we're playing a 4-1-3-1 is because Koev's is out once he returned I always believed we would be playing both Earnshaw and Koevermans at striker together. 4-4-2 with the wingers slightly pressed up more or a diamond in the centre.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's hope this Argentinian isn't another Pablo Vitti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    In no way at all is Koevs gone or is this a repitition of the Hassli problem. This Argentinian is a 5'10 145lb centre forward, I can see him maybe pushing Silva out of his position, or playing behind Koevs in the future. At no way is he capable of holding the ball up in a 4-1-3-1 which we're currently (sort of) playing. I figure the only reason we're playing a 4-1-3-1 is because Koev's is out once he returned I always believed we would be playing both Earnshaw and Koevermans at striker together. 4-4-2 with the wingers slightly pressed up more or a diamond in the centre.
    I seriously doubt Earnshaw is still around after his contract expires in July. He was signed to fill a glaring need and buy Payne et al time to sign the long-term player they want in that position. Once Cardiff stops paying for most of his salary, he'll be unaffordable to TFC, regardless of how well he does. I give it a 10% chance, max, that he's still here in August.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Let's hope this Argentinian isn't another Pablo Vitti.
    He seems to have a better nose for the net than Vitti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    ... 4-1-3-1 adds up to 9, i think you mean a 4-2-3-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    If I actually had some time I would love to get some people together to make a banner to give the guy some much deserved love.
    I would be all over this, I was gonna make a 2-stick this year for a game at BMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Haters? What football are you watching? Go back to last year's matchday threads and look at what was being said about Terry's performances.

Bottom line, Dunfield should not be starting for this team. Period, full stop. If you think otherwise, you're not watching closely enough. I don't give a rat's ass about hard work. I care about results. If achieving results require hard work, then so be it - the two aren't mutually exclusive. I commend Chad Barrett for his incredible work-rate, but am I sad he's gone? No, because for all his hard work, he couldn't get any RESULTS. If Silva works half as hard as Barrett to score more goals, you're going to tell me you'd rather have Barrett on the team and heap praise on him?

I think it's fashionable around these parts to love and adore players for their workman-like attitude, the great "heart" they put on display every weekend. But what no one is talking about is how we love and adore hard-working LOSERS.

I think sooner or later, the current regime hopefully will see things the same way, and Terry, the utility player that he is, will become a valuable 65th minute substitute brought on to seal wins for us by shutting up shop in the midfield against opponents who are tired out and more his speed.
    I'm sorry, I don't get your point. Are you saying that there are no Dunfield "haters" out there. You must be reading different threads to me. What football do I watch? Every minute of every TFC home game from the front row of the North Stand as you asked. The most vitriolic criticism of Dunfield seems to come from couch potatoes who watch on TV and don't see the work he does off the ball.

However, I don't think that we are far apart in our opinion. When we do have a team out there capable of winning something more significant than the Voyageurs Cup I don't expect Dunfield to be more than a back up midfielder.

Anyway, I think we are in the wrong thread here and that's my last on the subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't get your point. Are you saying that there are no Dunfield "haters" out there. You must be reading different threads to me. What football do I watch? Every minute of every TFC home game from the front row of the North Stand as you asked. The most vitriolic criticism of Dunfield seems to come from couch potatoes who watch on TV and don't see the work he does off the ball.

However, I don't think that we are far apart in our opinion. When we do have a team out there capable of winning something more significant than the Voyageurs Cup I don't expect Dunfield to be more than a back up midfielder.

Anyway, I think we are in the wrong thread here and that's my last on the subject.
    Same old argument. There are very few Dunfield haters. There are many people who hate him starting. You can hate someone's football and still like the guy. The majority of the posts here criticizing him are exactly that. Occasionally, some juvenile idiot says he should burn in hell or something. You know that's not representative of most people.

People can like a player all they want, but if you're debating his merits with someone, extending their argument about him to absurd proportions based on the odd off-the-cuff from some nitwit not even involved in the discussion is just a waste of both parties' time.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Argentinian DP target has been identified.

Maximilian Urruti, 22 year old striker from Newell Old Boys.

http://4-2-3-1.com/2013/03/06/exclus...their-next-dp/

Last edited by Whoop; 03-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if already mentioned, but "a source with knowledge of the negotiations told the Sun this week the Reds are keen to bring aboard Alfredo Mejia, 22, and Ricardo Barrios, 19, a pair of midfielders from Motagua, ahead of Major League Soccer's April 15 pre-season transfer deadline."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if already mentioned, but "a source with knowledge of the negotiations told the Sun this week the Reds are keen to bring aboard Alfredo Mejia, 22, and Ricardo Barrios, 19, a pair of midfielders from Motagua, ahead of Major League Soccer's April 15 pre-season transfer deadline."
    Saw that. If we end up with these two guys, Urruti, Bostock, Ephraim, and Earnshaw we'll have some pretty interesting pieces at Nelson's disposal. And we will be saying bye bye to Lambe and a few others I would assume.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    The Argentinian DP target has been identified.

Maximilian Urruti, 22 year old striker from Newell Old Boys.

http://4-2-3-1.com/2013/03/06/exclus...their-next-dp/

Highlights reel looks good but I can put together a highlight reel that would make you want to sign my 8 year old.

At 5'10" he is at least built for this league.

Until it comes out officially and I get to see him play I will hold judgement. I won't put my heart out to be broken yet again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we sign Bostock, that's all 8 of our international slots filled, and we'd have to get rid of one player occupying a slot when Koevermans returns from injury and comes off the DL. Those players are O'Dea, Eckersley, Russell, T. Morgan, Lambe, Ephraim, Earnshaw, and Koef. So, who draws the short straw?

Maybe Payne can trade for some additional slots, but I doubt all these players are going to stay, and certainly not past the summer if we leave some of our South American targets to be summer signings.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me Lambe's gone, almost for sure. And Payne said in a recent interview that the squad will look a lot different still by May, which is fine - I like this whole approach of "let's loan and see" as opposed to "let's give you a multi-year, multi-million commitment without any games played."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    TFC ASN@TorontoFCasn“@Aljarov: @TorontoFCasn Taylor Morgan is apparently Canadian. Who knew?! (Per MLS)”
    we still have 1 slot open if we count koef as taking up a spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    we still have 1 slot open if we count koef as taking up a spot
    I do not see how Taylor Morgan is Canadian......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither do I, just passing along what was already posted in this thread. Hopefully it is true (if he was an international I can't see him being signed).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My source was on twitter:
    TFC ASN ‏
    @TorontoFCasn@Aljarov: @TorontoFCasn
    Taylor Morgan is apparently Canadian. Who knew?! (Per MLS)”
    Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Neither do I, just passing along what was already posted in this thread. Hopefully it is true (if he was an international I can't see him being signed).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me Lambe's gone, almost for sure. And Payne said in a recent interview that the squad will look a lot different still by May, which is fine - I like this whole approach of "let's loan and see" as opposed to "let's give you a multi-year, multi-million commitment without any games played."
    In my opinion, Russell is likely gone before the end of the season. Given his age and the fact that he was already in Orlando so they decided to invite him to camp, seems like a convenience/short term signing to me and he probably knows it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me Lambe's gone, almost for sure.
    I don't necessarily agree unless they know for sure they are getting better. In the first game he was fairly good with the ball and got into some dangerous areas and even drew a few free kicks in good spots outside the box with his footwork. He seemed to be involved in the play alot. For pieces of the game I forgot Emphraim was playing. Didn't have that problem with Lambe. I think if he keeps it up it would be a tough call to let him go unless we are sure about an upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    For pieces of the game I forgot Emphraim was playing.
    That's because our midfield couldn't switch flank effectively and tend to run into a dead end on one side of the pitch (Lambe's side) =P

But yeah, Lambe did okay last game, not his best, not his worst, but serviceable
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    So thats 6 trialists training with the club currently.

Clearly there must be a few current squad guys on the way out?
    Any word on signing our future Argentinan DP word has it it's Maximillo Urruti from the Newell Old Boys?, How about Alfredo Meija and Marvin Barrios from Honduras?

Some say Kristain Jack has it out that Onstead was scouting him.
    http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/3/6...wells-old-boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buyout deadline was March 5 IIRC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Read somewhere that Peralta hasn't been getting paid by his club, and he refused the transfer because he didn't want his current club to get a transfer fee when they haven't paid his wages.
    Makes sense, but not sure CDS Vida is in any better situation to pay his wages. Might have lost a dollar trying to get $0.25, if you know what I mean. All moot now in any case, at least until summer window.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't Eck get citizenship at some point? Frei? Landed immigrant?

Seems there are lawyers to sort such things out. Someone has to have a Canadian/American grandparent or something.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once you've here 3 years you are entitled to apply for citizenship and brits can have dual citizenship so its a matter of time likely if he wants it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the picture of our DP target, I can't help but wonder what amount of courting is based on displaying Toronto's...
    Shall we say...as Gordon Downie put it,

Highlights of the scenery. I was listening to The Big Question podcast, which is pretty good btw, and they brought up something about Columbus being a college town and having that play into it (because otherwise, what do they have going for them compared to LA and NY), for a younger player.

What a fun tour that would be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Or Earnshaw isn't resigned in the summer. If Koevs is ready to go. That still remains to be seen.
    was in the dressing room last night,...(guest) funny how everyone has their stall with their name except ALL the new signings?-loans?,..And yes koev's complete uni is there with all the trims, flip flops the whole shebang . DeKlerk did say he was working out hard....please be true cause I want him up front, and he is a great team player. I'm wondering if come June/ , all the loans are gone.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Not sure I am too happy about signing someone with complaints re: racist comments attributed to him. He seems to have skills, but right now, I'd rather get a winger/play maker.
    hope what you say isn't true. If so we'll introduce him to Mr. Henry and T. Morgan.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana