Page 219 of 288 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229269 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,570 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two major issues with this window:

1. Payne and Nelsen talking us us up about "4-5 players" they're looking to sign, especially attacking players, and talk of DPs. We got 2 players, 1 of which is an attacking player, and no DPs. They need to learn to shut up about potential signings, it does nobody any good. Now not only does this window look like a failure by regular standards, it looks a failure by the standards they set themselves.

2. If you trade a good, established player, you better have a replacement lined up to sign very quickly. Doubly so when you're trading such a player for allocation. I don't mind the Silva move if we can bring in Urruti, but I do mind all this time we're going to be very short up front. And if we don't sign Urruti or someone similar this deal is a catastrophe. Payne should've held off on the trade if there was any doubt about getting Urruti this window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much hype... all this talk of Forlan, other known DP's and not so known players... making statements like "where going to be dangerous the 2nd half of the season"... just dont say anything at all... disapointing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree that we're the problem with the expectation. They made noise about a difficult transition in the winter and basically pushed out expectations to the summer window, where we weren't expecting the team to be fixed instantly but add some important pieces.

They told us what they wanted to do, they didn't come through on it. More work to do for opening day 2014, because I have no interest in excuses at that point. They can sink or swim on their own.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point of the transfer window is for clubs to add talent to improve the side's chances for the remainder of the season. On that front, Payne and Nelsen have been an abjet, utter and complete failure.

They moved all these players to open up cap and allocation, and for what? For nothing. The brand is so beaten down here that no one - not even the over-the-hillers from Europe we were able to attract in the past - will come here. Now, mind you, ironically this is also probably the only highlight of this window: that we didn't sign some near-retiree looking for his final payday.

We have NO GOALS in us. Like, almost none. I'm not exaggerating. If you understand it to be that to win football games you must score more than the other guy, then we're in deep shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Leiweke is the guy that really worries me. His public statements have been a debacle, much more so than Payne's. I don't see how Leiweke and Payne can avoid clashing.
    This.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

2. If you trade a good, established player, you better have a replacement lined up to sign very quickly. Doubly so when you're trading such a player for allocation. I don't mind the Silva move if we can bring in Urruti, but I do mind all this time we're going to be very short up front. And if we don't sign Urruti or someone similar this deal is a catastrophe. Payne should've held off on the trade if there was any doubt about getting Urruti this window.
    I believe that trade was with the expectation of Forlan coming. There is a story there of some sort, as TFC were leaking that out; and I'm not talking the tweet of that now likely fired staffer. Something happened, either Forlan saying no or something else. Happens but it would be nice if one of the intrepid journalists we have covering this team would actually find out what exactly.

Regardless, I really hope that somebody somewhere rethinks the communication policy going on cause right now its far too haphazard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bottom line is that management teased us with all these quotes and blurbs about how players were coming in including DP like players - and they have NOTHING to show for it. They set the expectations themselves and they failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We signed Rey and Elmer. Jury is still out on whether or not either will succeed here. They were unknown and from lower divisions in Europe. You can still find a gem here and there in lower divisions in Europe, but it's a bit of a risk. They're likely cheap, so we don't run much of a risk. We lost Silva, a decent player, so that has to be taken into consideration as well.

That's the sum total of the transfer window.

I'll give TFC an F on this window. Complete failure as far as I'm concerned.

However, they still may end up signing a few players outside of the window. But as far as this window goes: absolutely typical TFC failure - and good luck finding anyone outside of Toronto who wouldn't agree with that. Problem is far too many people are satisfied with mediocre. And that really is why we continue to struggle as a club. Standard needs to be set really high for us to be able to compete in this league. And not Leiweke fantasy high. But "get us players who can win us games" standard. Rey and Elmer aren't likely to be those guys. Maybe they'll help to strengthen our team, sure, but I doubt Leiweke and Payne would come out and say that these two guys are what they talked about when they said "BIG NAMES are coming" earlier in the season.

So yes, absolutely failure. Probably one of the worst transfer windows in the history of the club.

Now, having said that, I'm actually quite pleased with the current squad - and they're playing much, much better. We may just continue to improve, even without significant reinforcements. So that's what keeps me excited about TFC these days.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be clear, the window to sign is not completely closed. We could still see some players come in. (out of contract and other MLS players) Until such time that there is no more opportunity to sign a player I think we need to withhold final judgement on this window.

But yeah, we are now limited in who can be brought in so it is not looking to be great at this stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough sell to bring in any DP quality players at this point.Most players would probably want to run out their existing seasons and start afresh with us next season, plus with world cup next year, players like this are more than likely internationals whose country will be at world cup and they want to play for them. Doesn't look too good on their form if they are playing for one of bottom teams in league, regardless of how their form is personally. Glad we haven't panic bought, although it would have been good to have brought in a striker (still might happen) and another attacking mid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Urruti signing goes through as anticipated, I'll be reasonably satisfied with this transfer window, because I never bought into the grandstanding by Leiweke regarding a marquee DP signing in the first place. My expectations were realistic.

I'm still pissed off about giving Silva away for allocation that hasn't officially been put to proper use yet, but I'll reserve judgement on that issue depending on what transpires in the coming weeks and the next transfer window, because the allocation could very be in play for the next 2 seasons if it was substantial.

Overall, I’m fairly pleased with the quality of the acquisitions since Payne’s arrival. I believe that the likes of Laba, Osorio, Caldwell, Earnshaw, Rey, and Elmer will be positive contributors to this club moving forward. The players that haven’t panned out were on loan for the most part.

The FO just needs to shut up and do their best behind the scenes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carlton Cole is still available on a free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    If the Urruti signing goes through as anticipated, I'll be reasonably satisfied with this transfer window, because I never bought into the grandstanding by Leiweke regarding a marquee DP signing in the first place. My expectations were realistic.

I'm still pissed off about giving Silva away for allocation that hasn't officially been put to proper use yet, but I'll reserve judgement on that issue depending on what transpires in the coming weeks and the next transfer window, because the allocation could very be in play for the next 2 seasons if it was substantial.

Overall, I’m fairly pleased with the quality of the acquisitions since Payne’s arrival. I believe that the likes of Laba, Osorio, Caldwell, Earnshaw, Rey, and Elmer will be positive contributors to this club moving forward. The players that haven’t panned out were on loan for the most part.

The FO just needs to shut up and do their best behind the scenes.
    Agreed on all points, well said.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Funny how the general consensus of the Silva trade has swung in the other direction now that the window has closed, not just on these boards, but elsewhere as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    rather strangely, there was rumour he played a closed doors game for Spurs the other night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing these guys they might still announce a DP before the end of this season who would join the team next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    Knowing these guys they might still announce a DP before the end of this season who would join the team next season.
    Payne actually said that's very likely. However, he also said a number of other things were very likely so we'll see. I think it will happen though. They desperately need something to help with renewals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    So yes, absolutely failure. Probably one of the worst transfer windows in the history of the club.
    Not even close. Last year signed Freddy Hall and overpaid for a decent O' Dea. Before that we traded a first rounder for Hassli, moved JDG for Wiedeman, and picked up Amerikwa for a supplemental pick. All moves that ended up making our team worse and the numbers proved it. This year we will not be worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Tough sell to bring in any DP quality players at this point.Most players would probably want to run out their existing seasons and start afresh with us next season, plus with world cup next year, players like this are more than likely internationals whose country will be at world cup and they want to play for them. Doesn't look too good on their form if they are playing for one of bottom teams in league, regardless of how their form is personally. Glad we haven't panic bought, although it would have been good to have brought in a striker (still might happen) and another attacking mid
    Bingo. This is exact reason why Forlan didn't sign with TFC. I am sure once World Cup is over, TFC will get their big name DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro1m
    No new player signings will be announced today, I am told. So Nelsen didn't bring back anyone from "overseas" with him. #TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim and Kevin: "Don't worry guys, we got this. Next transfer window we're lining up Falcao"

Honestly, I'd be happy with Davide Somma at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Not even close. Last year signed Freddy Hall and overpaid for a decent O' Dea. Before that we traded a first rounder for Hassli, moved JDG for Wiedeman, and picked up Amerikwa for a supplemental pick. All moves that ended up making our team worse and the numbers proved it. This year we will not be worse.
    Thanks for that jolt of reality. I can't believe we did all that last year. If only Mariner was still around to continue his rebuild of the team!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering the huge promises (World Class player(s) coming) made by new management - and how EVERYBODY fell for that, I'd say this one ranks way up there. I don't think most of us had this much, if any, hope in any other transfer window in recent history.
    Last edited by Super; 08-09-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    rather strangely, there was rumour he played a closed doors game for Spurs the other night.
    and apparently scored two goals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he'd do it for non-DP money I would do it. Otherwise not sure. Would be better than any of our current forwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he'd do it for non-DP money I would do it. Otherwise not sure. Would be better than any of our current forwards.
    I'm not a big fan of his, but have to agree.

He played for Spurs? Why?! That's a strange one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was looking for £40,000/week with West Ham and they offered him less. So I don't see him coming as a non dp.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that jolt of reality. I can't believe we did all that last year. If only Mariner was still around to continue his rebuild of the team!
    I prefer Preki and his Eastern European rejects.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    He was looking for £40,000/week with West Ham and they offered him less. So I don't see him coming as a non dp.
    Looking for $40,000/week explains why he's available on a free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Considering the huge promises (World Class player(s) coming) made by new management - and how EVERYBODY fell for that, I'd say this one ranks way up there. I don't think most of us had this much, if any, hope in any other transfer window in recent history.
    If everyone counted promises and hopes of managers then Man U would have Ronaldo, Alcantara, Baines, and Fellaini. Man U would keep Rooney and Liverpool would keep Suarez and everything would all peaching keen in northwest England. You follow Football enough you learn not to listen and more so invest your hopes into what managers say during transfer windows.