Page 169 of 288 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219269 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,070 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is going on between the journalists and TFC based on some comments made as of late. I have no idea what it is but its clear there is something at play. If I were to speculate based on some the stuff that has been made public:

1. Payne is using them vs. giving them info ie he feeds them things he want to be public vs. actual development and progress to disguise his intent
    2. Payne is going over their head and "leaking" news to the non day to day guys which is irritating the day to day guys
    3. They are being more tightly managed and controlled

All of the above plus a crappy season and big signing news that does not happen leads to negativity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just kidding. Actually I like short pants. I may replace shorts with short pants in my day to day conversing.
    Last edited by Canary10; 07-25-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What bothers me the most is a lot of people are treating transfers and the transfer window like a fifa video game. Even with months of negotiation, stuff happens things fall through. People on twitter are joking about "this is the DP we are signing"? Id rather payne and nelson do their due diligence and stick to a long term plan (which it appears they are doing). If the players they rate aren't available I think it is better to hold off and wait rather then being stuck with bloated contracts like in the past.

Granted we don't know the terms of the deal but Rey is young and they obviously rate him (3 weeks and 3 different contract offers show this). Also demonstrates he is probably one of their first choices. Hopefully this can turn out like the Laba trasfer. When he came in no one knew anything about him. I think they are slowly building a young core group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be quite honest, I put more faith in the opinions expressed on this forum than the opinions of the vast majority of wannabe football journalists in this city.

Likewise, I'll reserve judgement on Alvaro Rey until he has had enough time to get acclimated with his new environment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Somehow over the past 4 week everyone that covers TFC has turned into rollins.... constant negativity and hate towards the team.

Maybe they don't like that the leaks have dried up.
    theres a reason why I unfollowed Rollins. His "sources" are long gone, so he provides no new information, and he's always such a damn downer... I feel like punching myself in the face every time I read his depressing tweets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    To be quite honest, I put more faith in the opinions expressed on this forum than the opinions of the vast majority of wannabe football journalists in this city.

Likewise, I'll reserve judgement on Alvaro Rey until he has had enough time to get acclimated with his new environment.
    Exactly. I don't believe a single Toronto journalist knows anything about the guy other than what they read on Wikipedia. It's pathetic and shameful to their profession - and I'm not talking about the fact that they don't know him, but that they write him off and bash the team before he's even assigned a number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I would love to know what TFC Journo's are basing this on.. Could it be the one reserve game that he played in? Solid foundation for making a judgement.
    It certainly wasn't that...the game, in which Braun scored on a Rey cross, was in Montreal...surely none of our "journalists" were even aware there was a game...I know, for example, Molinaro that evening, was presiding over the opening of a one-man show of photographs he'd taken of his dinner...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

This is either a poor depth signing which we'll regret and look back at as nothing more then a rushed decision because we missed out on a main target and he's the backup.

or

This is a great signing, and we'll look forward to seeing Rey send lots of crosses into the box.

Either way, two things are for sure - I wont write him off until he shows me what he can do on the pitch & I hope this doesn't force Osorio out of the XI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a few TFCA players now practicing with the first team, does anyone know who they are?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    There's a few TFCA players now practicing with the first team, does anyone know who they are?
    I find Wikipedia keeps track of our reserve games pretty well, and Toronto FC Academy players who have been involved in reserve games are...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    theres a reason why I unfollowed Rollins. His "sources" are long gone, so he provides no new information, and he's always such a damn downer... I feel like punching myself in the face every time I read his depressing tweets.
    Speaking of Rollins, I came across this gem (regarding the new DC stadium):

Duane Rollins@24thminute8h
    Amazing that they finally got this done just 8-months after Kevin Payne taken off the file!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK folks and media types that are viewing this site. Let's give Rey a chance before we past judgement. His play on the field will determine if this was a rush signing or not. I can guarantee that not one journalist from Toronto was at the reserve game in Montreal so why are some so quick to past judgement? I just can't believe that the media that follows TFC wasn't this vocal in years past when Mo, Preki and Mariner were pulling their questionable moves and stunts. I have not been 100% behind everything that Payne and Nelson have done so far but at least they seem honest and sincere when trying to convey their message unlike the management trolls we have had in the past. Again, I wonder why the knives weren't out when Andy Iro was signed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post

Amazing that they finally got this done just 8-months after Kevin Payne taken off the file!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post

AND only 5 months after Nelsen began with TFC. And 3 weeks since Silva was traded... Coincidence? I think not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    This week Manu Aparicio and an older forward, Mackenzie Pridham, who never was Academy, but is going into his senior year at Cal Poly...was attacking player of the year, or something, in whatever conference they play in...I assume he'll be turning out with the u23/college team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree about waiting to see Rey play before deciding what he is.

In fairness to Molinaro, all he said is that he doesn't expect it to be much more than a depth signing. Is that such a terrible thing to say?

Also, imo, he's been BY FAR the best guy covering TFC. Never heavy handed and seems pretty objective and diplomatic with the way he says things. Way more diplomatic than the vast majority of us (myself included lol)

He's also openly admitted to considering not covering TFC anymore. He sees more of what goes on then most of us and he delivers it in a manner that has seemed both fair, and honest.

Now we're gonna jump on him because he gave his opinion on what he thinks Rey is going to be?

It's not like Rey has been signed and presented with any kind of hoopla or ceremony. He's not being touted by the club to be one of our stars so it shouldn't come as any surprise that people don't expect him to be.

I hope he's an everyday player on the wing that gives us another option in running at the opposing fullback and spreading the ball around the field effectively. That's my hope.

My hope is very different than what he actually is. None of us knows that. We're all just guessing. Some of us guess with a negative tinge and others with a positive one.

I think the anger may be a result of people having been waiting for so long for any shred of an addition after the subtractions that have gone down + all the bullshit rumour and speculation that the club has been spewing for the last month.

I, for one, think it's absolutely normal for people (including the media) to be cynical right now. The club has said so many things to lead us all on and this is the first delivery. It had better be good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    ... Again, I wonder why the knives weren't out when Andy Iro was signed?
    Herd mentality. Mariner was such a cluster of uck, and MLSE has been such a cluster of uck, the journo's, and quite a few others in this city, can not believe that anything done by TFC, or any other part of MLSE actually makes some sense.

Personally I think most journo's spend too much time looking at twitter and facebook. After awhile, they think that short pithiness passes for insight.

That and nobody sells SEO and eyeballs by saying, "Building for the future here."

Oh, and I agree about Molinaro.

I just don't know where he got his opinion of Rey from.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-25-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I agree about waiting to see Rey play before deciding what he is.

In fairness to Molinaro, all he said is that he doesn't expect it to be much more than a depth signing. Is that such a terrible thing to say?

Also, imo, he's been BY FAR the best guy covering TFC. Never heavy handed and seems pretty objective and diplomatic with the way he says things. Way more diplomatic than the vast majority of us (myself included lol)

He's also openly admitted to considering not covering TFC anymore. He sees more of what goes on then most of us and he delivers it in a manner that has seemed both fair, and honest.

Now we're gonna jump on him because he gave his opinion on what he thinks Rey is going to be?

It's not like Rey has been signed and presented with any kind of hoopla or ceremony. He's not being touted by the club to be one of our stars so it shouldn't come as any surprise that people don't expect him to be.

I hope he's an everyday player on the wing that gives us another option in running at the opposing fullback and spreading the ball around the field effectively. That's my hope.

My hope is very different than what he actually is. None of us knows that. We're all just guessing. Some of us guess with a negative tinge and others with a positive one.

I think the anger may be a result of people having been waiting for so long for any shred of an addition after the subtractions that have gone down + all the bullshit rumour and speculation that the club has been spewing for the last month.

I, for one, think it's absolutely normal for people (including the media) to be cynical right now. The club has said so many things to lead us all on and this is the first delivery. It had better be good.
    My issue is that Rey's abilities quickly became a victim of the journalist's opinions of the team. I get TFC didn't land Forlan, but that doesn't mean Rey was not part A.
    On what ground does Molinaro say that Rey is a depth player? Depth to who? Reggie Lambe, or Convey?
    All I'm saying, is that if they're clueless on the matter, either dont say anything, or comment on what you DO know - like Rey's resume. whether it is impressive or not is up to the reader to decide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he is a depth player then its a pointless signing and a waste of an international slot. My issue with the journalists thinking he is a depth player is they think Payne would waste an international slot for depth. No statements can be made about the player before he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue is that Rey's abilities quickly became a victim of the journalist's opinions of the team. I get TFC didn't land Forlan, but that doesn't mean Rey was not part A.
    On what ground does Molinaro say that Rey is a depth player? Depth to who? Reggie Lambe, or Convey?
    All I'm saying, is that if they're clueless on the matter, either dont say anything, or comment on what you DO know - like Rey's resume. whether it is impressive or not is up to the reader to decide.
    Didn't Rey train on several occasions with the team? Or maybe Molinaro thinks he's a depth player based on the lack hype surrounding the announcement of his signing. Lord knows this club will hype every little thing it can.

Who knows?

I just don't get why people are surprised that some people are skeptical of what the club is doing and how things are going?

At best, I'd say the Rey signing should be seen as a neutral thing or cautious optimism. To suggest that this was "plan A" is also just talking out of our asses. It's all a guess. TFC has cocked up the management of peoples expectations when it comes to signings. It's been going on for a while and this is the first shoe to drop. It's pretty obvious its not the signing that the club was hinting at a couple of weeks ago.

I'm glad they signed someone cause we have another option now. Time will tell if it was good or bad. It could be a GOOD depth signing. LOL

If he's a decent winger that gives the team a different look AND is not on a stupid salary then we may be happy, despite him not being a star. Who knows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If he is a depth player then its a pointless signing and a waste of an international slot. My issue with the journalists thinking he is a depth player is they think Payne would waste an international slot for depth. No statements can be made about the player before he plays.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Somehow over the past 4 week everyone that covers TFC has turned into rollins.... constant negativity and hate towards the team.

Maybe they don't like that the leaks have dried up.
    Duane Trollins.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Caldwell wasn't hyped at all either. Showed up in complete silence, with similar prejudice opinions from most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Caldwell wasn't hyped at all either. Showed up in complete silence, with similar prejudice opinions from most.
    True. Only difference is that Caldwell wasn't brought in after a shit storm of "we're gonna bring in....." and "we're looking to add the best player in the league" and "when we add our players other teams will fear us".

All amidst 2 wins in 20 games. LOL

Edit: Went back (page 49 of this thread) to see the prejudiced opinions on Caldwell's signing and didn't find any.
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 07-25-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep.

Some of the best players in MLS (Morales, Camilo) were plucked from small teams in second-tier leagues. Morales played for a team relegated from the Spanish second division before he joined Salt Lake. Sound familiar?

Not saying Rey is gonna be an all-star, but it's *slightly* premature to write him off before he's even donned a TFC jersey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Not saying Rey is gonna be an all-star, but it's *slightly* premature to write him off before he's even donned a TFC jersey.
    Yeah, can we give the guy 5-10 games before making any judgement?

Though I'm sure around these parts people will be bitching barely 5 minutes into the match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Yeah, can we give the guy 5-10 games before making any judgement?

Though I'm sure around these parts people will be bitching barely 5 minutes into the match.
    Lol... considering theres been bitching before the guy even signed, yah... i think youre right

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, I played him in FIFA 13 at left wing and he was considerably more awesome than Bobby Convey.

His best asset seems to be his speed. He can run and accelerate with pace. His shooting is meh though. Couldn't score with him for the life of me, but to be fair, I can't hit the back of the net with anyone except Koevermans or Earnshaw in FIFA 13.

But yeah, it's a video game, so take it for what it is....
    Last edited by ArmenJBX; 07-25-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't understand why there would be complaints. The year is a write off let's just see what they got. We might be pleasantly surprised. He's it to be better then Lambe and Convey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Didn't Rey train on several occasions with the team? Or maybe Molinaro thinks he's a depth player based on the lack hype surrounding the announcement of his signing. Lord knows this club will hype every little thing it can.

Who knows?
    A somewhat important aspect of journalism is telling people why you know. You know, other than a potentially drastically unqualified opinion.