Page 150 of 288 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    The guy's name is "Osorio" and he didn't know Spanish before heading to Uruguay to play soccer? C'mon Man!

IMO, $2 million dollars per player, is a frightening thought, because what you're saying is that for $2 million dollars TFCA can't produce 1 player for the first team. This kind of wild spending to me says that Payne will last one season and maybe a few months into next season.
    I have a few friends on SA decent who don't speak much Spanish so having a Spanish sounding last name doesn't mean you speak the language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Lucas Melano has signed with Lanus for 2 million dollars for 80% of his future transfer.

TFC offered 2.7 million for 70% of his future sale. Melano did not want to join MLS.

I actually spoke to Matias Laba after the game and he told me that he knew him. Not sure why Laba did not speak with Payne about Melano and try to convince him to sign with TFC.

That's what you have to do because a lot of Argentinians have a misguided view of MLS
    Can you blame them though? MLS isn't feeding nearly as many players to Europe as other leagues out there. Argentina is still a better place to develop and more respected. Realistically, given that it's MLS and given that we are a club with a poor reputation, the offers can't be marginally better, they have to be superior. I want to see more money on the table to get these deals done.

As a side note, I think we need to start looking at more regular roster players as well. Everything we've been linked to lately has been DP quality... we still need regular roster players in the 120-250k range to strengthen this squad. The type of MLS players that typically come from Honduras, Columbia, CR, etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Can you blame them though? MLS isn't feeding nearly as many players to Europe as other leagues out there. Argentina is still a better place to develop and more respected. Realistically, given that it's MLS and given that we are a club with a poor reputation, the offers can't be marginally better, they have to be superior. I want to see more money on the table to get these deals done.

As a side note, I think we need to start looking at more regular roster players as well. Everything we've been linked to lately has been DP quality... we still need regular roster players in the 120-250k range to strengthen this squad. The type of MLS players that typically come from Honduras, Columbia, CR, etc...
    According to Star boy's (the Irish dude with the good turn of phrase but the shit information, can't remember the name) interview with Lieweke one of the two we're currently focussed on is demanding to be the league's highest paid player.

Lieweke also said there were maybe 10 other players on Earth with that kind of exposure, which means it has to be Kaka or Drogba or someone of that caliber. Not sure Forlan would even meet that description.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Right now, I don't even care about DPs. I just want any news of young S. American/C. American players that might fit with Paysen's long-term vision coming to fruition. Lord knows our squad is threadbare enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    According to Star boy's (the Irish dude with the good turn of phrase but the shit information, can't remember the name) interview with Lieweke one of the two we're currently focussed on is demanding to be the league's highest paid player.

Lieweke also said there were maybe 10 other players on Earth with that kind of exposure, which means it has to be Kaka or Drogba or someone of that caliber. Not sure Forlan would even meet that description.
    Basically we're likely pushing to get one guy who is not for sale (Kaka) and one who would demand the biggest salary in the history of the MLS: Forlan. Makes sense to me. Both are MASSIVE names. And it would give TFC a lot of publicity. Check these numbers: TFC has 48000 twitter followers. Forlan himself has 3.5 million twitter followers. Kaka is 16 million. 16 million twitter followers would learn about TFC if we were to get Kaka. That's a fun idea.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forlan is not the massive name that Kaka is. He just isn't. 2010 WC aside he's not achieved nearly the success Kaka has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Forlan is not the massive name that Kaka is. He just isn't. 2010 WC aside he's not achieved nearly the success Kaka has.
    Being MVP and top scorer of the most recent world cup puts Forlan in that category. But yes, Kaka is a much, MUCH bigger name for sure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I get a feeling that afew people on these boards didn't even know of Forlan until he was heavily linked to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inter officially signed Scocco (striker). Could be cover for Forlan or Damiao transfers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damiao has been linked to Napoli

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Being MVP and top scorer of the most recent world cup puts Forlan in that category. But yes, Kaka is a much, MUCH bigger name for sure.
    It's sort of like a good player getting hot in the playoffs. Across their careers Kaka has by far the more impressive résumé. Forlan has a few scoring titles and one transcendent World Cup performance. Kaka has a plethora of European awards, as well as a FIFA player of the year.

That, and Kaka is still just 31, three years Forlan's junior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Agreed. I get a feeling that afew people on these boards didn't even know of Forlan until he was heavily linked to TFC.
    Everybody who watches football knows Forlan. But yeah, there may be a few on here who missed the last WC and never watch EPL, Serie A or La Liga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's sort of like a good player getting hot in the playoffs. Across their careers Kaka has by far the more impressive résumé. Forlan has a few scoring titles and one transcendent World Cup performance. Kaka has a plethora of European awards, as well as a FIFA player of the year.

That, and Kaka is still just 31, three years Forlan's junior.
    I would definitely take Kaka over Forlan. But Forlan has been pretty impressive throughout most of his career, less so for Man Utd or Internazionale.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Everybody who watches football knows Forlan. But yeah, there may be a few on here who missed the last WC and never watch EPL, Serie A or La Liga.
    The sentiment that North Americans aren't familiar with Forlan is not misplaced. He underperformed in the EPL, played for Spanish clubs that aren't Real or Barcelona and flamed out of Serie A. Not the kind of track record that leads to widespread NA fame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inter are playing right now. Anyone know if Forlan is in the line up or know how to find out ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sentiment that North Americans aren't familiar with Forlan is not misplaced. He underperformed in the EPL, played for Spanish clubs that aren't Real or Barcelona and flamed out of Serie A. Not the kind of track record that leads to widespread NA fame.
    Yeah that's true. I mean he really only had 3 bad years in his whole career. At ManU he was young and was trying to make a huge leap in playing level, and Inter was just a bad situation for him. His years in Spain are amazing, severely underrated by a lot people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this mystery player wants more then Henry's $4.35M...there is no way that is Forlan, or at least that particular play is not Forlan...Forlan might be the second player.

Also, if it is KaKa and I know this is silly to say but it is reality...I am sure they are thinking of the many people who will get KaKa TFC shirts because they think it is amusing more than any real knowledge of the player...I am sure merchandise sales are a consideration.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah that's true. I mean he really only had 3 bad years in his whole career. At ManU he was young and was trying to make a huge leap in playing level, and Inter was just a bad situation for him. His years in Spain are amazing, severely underrated by a lot people.
    He's had an amazing career, but without 2010 most outside of serious football/La Liga fans wouldn't know about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Inter are playing right now. Anyone know if Forlan is in the line up or know how to find out ?
    Yes and yes.

http://espnfc.com/us/en/gamecast/365...t=true&cc=5901

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forlan's time in Inter Milan was unfortunate, and a lot of it was not his fault. Inter was in a downward slope after winning the Treble in 2009-2010 and trying to find a new personality after Morinho left. Forlan was brought in to be their goal scoring savior, but suffered a relatively long injury to his leg (I think it was a torn hemmy) when he wasn't able to recover quick enough or whatever other reason, Inter sold him.
    He was a beast in Madrid, and a pretty damn good player for internacional. If he played for Real or Barca and his face was mounted on a FIFA case, he would be seen as auch greater player.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If he played for Real or Barca and his face was mounted on a FIFA case, he would be seen as auch greater player.
    That's all I'm saying.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but a better player , although Forlan is at the end I think Kaka is also..imo...he's not what he was . Did he ever play above his reputation ? Forlan on the other hand with a slighly weaker side DID deliver in 2010. Period
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be a mistake signing Kaka over Forlan. Forlan can score buckets of goals, Kaka needs a striker to finish his wondrful distribution. Last time I checked we are last in mls in scoring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fine. Forlan didn't work out. Probably for the best.

This is what would make me happy: I hope Payne has the discipline to selll all this allocation back to one of the contenders, so that they can add DPs, in return for really terrific young domestic assets.

At the end of this, I want to see Silva more than replaced.

If they just buy whoever they can get, they are fools.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forlan got subbed today in the 71st minute. Had a few shots on goal, but all off target. Inter won 1-0 in overtime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Fine. Forlan didn't work out. Probably for the best.

This is what would make me happy: I hope Payne has the discipline to selll all this allocation back to one of the contenders, so that they can add DPs, in return for really terrific young domestic assets.

At the end of this, I want to see Silva more than replaced.

If they just buy whoever they can get, they are fools.
    Well, Lieweke's interview was pretty foolish. He was basically saying "TFC fans deserve a show pony" as an immediate reward. We don't want an immediate fucking reward, we want a good team. If NOT signing someone like Kaka will get us five potential MLS all-stars, I don't give a shit what their names are.

I wonder from the way Nelsen talked in that post-game whether he's on that same page; he seemed a little frustrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to agree... this "major" DP will not be around when we are truly competing (2 years i hope). It is all about getting TFC recognized internationally and getting some positive press in the city... For entertainment value it would be good but it isn't a move for the long term success of the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Well, Lieweke's interview was pretty foolish. He was basically saying "TFC fans deserve a show pony" as an immediate reward. We don't want an immediate fucking reward, we want a good team. If NOT signing someone like Kaka will get us five potential MLS all-stars, I don't give a shit what their names are.

I wonder from the way Nelsen talked in that post-game whether he's on that same page; he seemed a little frustrated.
    yes but people like us believe in slowly and smartly improving the team, i.e Laba, caldwell. But a lot of people just want that one star player, i.e Forlan. Also signing i guy like forlan, puts asses in the seats. I believe in slow increments. Leiweke, mabye not