Page 215 of 288 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225265 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,450 of 8618
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Rey isn't fit for Seattle, from an entertainment standpoint they should have Payne come back to the booth and tell us some more of what's on his mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    If Rey isn't fit for Seattle, from an entertainment standpoint they should have Payne come back to the booth and tell us some more of what's on his mind.
    I doubt that he'll play on Saturday. O'Leary mentioned him needing 2-3 weeks to get his match fitness level up there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so help me to understand. Every MLS team faces the same challenges, have the same $ issues, but only TFC manages to be at, or near the bottom every season? Dont all the teams sign players from the lower level leagues? Parity is virtually guaranteed. But not here. Could it have something to do with the constant changes at the top? If that were true, how does the hiring of an inexperienced coach help, and not worsen things? Just saying, cause you guys are pretty quick to shoot down any diverging opinion. There are times when I have the feeling this is an MLSE apologist forum, and not the RPBs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so the window has not provided the names we all expected yet but I for one am not upset about it - disappointed, but not upset. NO team always get their man. Some of the biggest clubs in the world try to land certain names for YEARS and sometimes never do. TFC's situation is no different. Just another club trying to make their team better but face fierce, worldwide competition and may or may not be successful.

The way I look at it, we could have ended up with another Mista or even worse, Jarju.

I think the FO has the right idea of how to get the job done. It just may take some more time. Yeah, yeah, we've been waiting for SO long already but this time is different imho. They guys running the show aren't here for a vacation. They recognize that there is a right way and a wrong way and the wrong way is to be impatient.

HOWEVER, FO did fuck up by setting expectations WAY too high. Just like Payne's "get used to it" comment, the message that they are going after good players could have been put together differently and still achieved the same goal.

/$0.02.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I doubt that he'll play on Saturday. O'Leary mentioned him needing 2-3 weeks to get his match fitness level up there.
    I should've said available, following his knock vs. Roma. Maybe we'll get an update tomorrow although I wouldn't know if there's been one already.

edit: He was on against Crew and i have to believe would've come on again @Revs if we weren't bunkering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    If we don't sign someone today, we are fucked for the NEXT TEN YEARS!!!

this is true.........but its because ML$E are ass clowns...

This year : "tear down"
    next year : "rebuild"
    2015 : "almost make the playoffs"
    2016 : "tear down"

etc.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I looked to see where TFC was last year in August.

Starting lineup 4 August against Chicago Fire

Kocic

Morgan Ecks Henry Emory

Frings

Lambe Silva Dunfield

Johnson Hasli

I think we are significantly better then that team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of which, anybody know if Dunfield is kicking around TFC since getting released. He's gone very quiet. I doubt he'd be offered a job with his hometown Caps, given they gave the boot. As much as he lacked technical skill, his grit wore on me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Although I agree that Rey getting injured wouldn't be good - I also think that injuries can happen anytime. My team back in the UK, Oxford, during their preseason they signed a guy called Meades, who got injured in preseason and will now miss the first 3 months of the season. Yeah, it sucks, but preseason, mid-season, friendlies, training, league games - any time these things can happen. Look what happened to Frei - broke his leg in training kicking a ball! Does that mean TFC should never train in fear of injuries? No, of course not. These things happen, unfortunately.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NolbertoS View Post
    Speaking of which, anybody know if Dunfield is kicking around TFC since getting released. He's gone very quiet. I doubt he'd be offered a job with his hometown Caps, given they gave the boot. As much as he lacked technical skill, his grit wore on me.
    http://www.rednationonline.ca/Interv...yDunfield.aspx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Kocic

Morgan Ecks Henry Emory

Frings

Lambe Silva Dunfield

Johnson Hasli

so is every other team in the league. TFC isn't the only one adding "talent"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point. I'm just tired of the people who don't see progression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oranje View Post
    What division you previously played for is irrelevant. Small country/lower division players succeed and high profile league players flop. When those lower div. players flop it hurts a lot less because they have lower expectations from the fans and cost less, when they succeed they score bag loads of goals for the whitecaps and the staff look like genius'. Worst thing you can do is write them off because they didn't come from a top league in Europe
    I think you're missing my point. Nothing against those two signings. My point is that Leiweke and Payne talked up and down about BIG NAME players, and that is obviously not what we got. Sure, these two guys may prove to be awesome, but they're hardly in the same league as Forlan. And that is what was promised.

Sure, they tried hard enough. But they failed. That's football. Wait and see what the football world will say to Wenger if He fails to bring in something big.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I think you're missing my point. Nothing against those two signings. My point is that Leiweke and Payne talked up and down about BIG NAME players, and that is obviously not what we got. Sure, these two guys may prove to be awesome, but they're hardly in the same league as Forlan. And that is what was promised.

Sure, they tried hard enough. But they failed. That's football. Wait and see what the football world will say to Wenger if He fails to bring in something big.

lemme start off by saying wegner is the worst example of bringing in "something big"

i do believe that it shows the front offices maturity though, and a few people have commented on it. i'd rather play slow and steady trying to grab players that fit during a transfer window than bring in people like mista, or JDG just to appease fans. all they would need to do is communicate that to us. say they didn't get the player they were going for, but that they're not going to ruin all of their hard work by panicking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can i just get my July back please? The summer is short enough without having to be spending it pressing F5!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    lemme start off by saying wegner is the worst example of bringing in "something big"

i do believe that it shows the front offices maturity though, and a few people have commented on it. i'd rather play slow and steady trying to grab players that fit during a transfer window than bring in people like mista, or JDG just to appease fans. all they would need to do is communicate that to us. say they didn't get the player they were going for, but that they're not going to ruin all of their hard work by panicking.
    LOL, well, that's a good point about Wenger. But this transfer window he's starting to feel it. Anyway, regardless of bad example, Leiweke and Payne set the standard high and didn't deliver. Doesn't matter if you or I are happy with the end result, fact still remains that they failed. That's my point. IF they were all about slow and steady, looking, but not making promises, they would have played all of this differently. Leiweke's first line to us was: I'm the dude that brought in Becks. I'll do the same for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kocic

Morgan Ecks Henry Emory

Frings

Lambe Silva Dunfield

Johnson Hasli

Ryan Johnson has 6 goals with Portland, Silva 3 in a couple games with DC, Frings was the best player onthe team prior to injury, the rest were bums. So the current team is better, but not by much. As the other dude stated, the comparisons are only meaningful when you factor in the opposition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Ryan Johnson has 6 goals with Portland, Silva 3 in a couple games with DC, Frings was the best player onthe team prior to injury, the rest were bums. So the current team is better, but not by much. As the other dude stated, the comparisons are only meaningful when you factor in the opposition
    When I look at that last team compared to this one I see more high end, but more low end as well. Hasli, Silva, and Johnson provided more attack dynamics than anything this team has currently (ignoring Ray ftm because we don't know what he offers yet). That backline is crazy weak and the midfield is atrocious. Frings and Dunfield were run over on a weekly basis and couldn't keep up with anyone. We are hugely improved in that area, even if we are not spectacular and it's mostly all about Laba.

I would say progress isn't necessarily a straight line as well. Snap shots in time might make us look a little further ahead or behind our ultimate path. Anyway, I am cautiously optimistic or slightly skeptical depending on the day. We'll see what this team has opening day 2014. There will be no excuses from that point forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Leiweke's first line to us was: I'm the dude that brought in Becks. I'll do the same for you.
    But he never once said it would be this window. High hopes were leading some to assume otherwise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post

Based on this reasoning most mls managers must be fucking geniuses for doing it quick and effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point. I'm just tired of the people who don't see progression.
    We have 20 points after 22 games so far this season. After that joke of a season last year (like all seasons but last was a different level of terrible) after 22 games we had 19 points..... So we made a 1 point improvement so far...... wow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy Omar Salgado low, our prized medical team and 15 assistant coaches will fix his foot.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benficachop20 View Post
    We have 20 points after 22 games so far this season. After that joke of a season last year (like all seasons but last was a different level of terrible) after 22 games we had 19 points..... So we made a 1 point improvement so far...... wow.
    By another analysis we've improved by leaps and bounds defensively (despite late-game lapses), but have lagged offensively. That can really e attributed to having few attacking options, which we are hopefully close to solving.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And that team was built slow and steady too. Memory is an awful thing when you discuss all things TFC. Wonder what people will be saying about 2013 in a few years? The year we traded Silva for a manager. We didnt even get a bag of pucks. When healthy, I predict Silva will one day lead the legue in scoring. Payne, he will still be an asshole.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    so is every other team in the league. TFC isn't the only one adding "talent"
    So you think SJ, Columbus, & DC are significantly better this year than last?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And managed how many points after Mariner's new manager bounce wore off? I will bet money we manage more than 4 points down this same stretch this year. All said and done I am expecting around a 10 point increase over last season. Still not great but it is significant improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    But he never once said it would be this window. High hopes were leading some to assume otherwise.
    He didn't say this window. He didn't say any window. But we know that they were actively engaged in trying to sign a DP player IN this window. In other words: he meant this window.

He'll have his chance to try again in the next window of course.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    So you think SJ, Columbus, & DC are significantly better this year than last?
    Lmao. Ok. 16 of the 19 teams have acquired more talent. Better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And that team was built slow and steady too. Memory is an awful thing when you discuss all things TFC. Wonder what people will be saying about 2013 in a few years? The year we traded Silva for a manager. We didnt even get a bag of pucks. When healthy, I predict Silva will one day lead the legue in scoring. Payne, he will still be an asshole.

now the comment about Payne is way over the top imo.

this team has improved - a much more solid back line with Laba just in front at DM & Osorio, some wing potential - yes it would have been amazing to add Urruti and Moralez - and who knows as the window isn't closed and Urruti might be outside of it anyway with his situation - but add into that a much better cap situation and we are far better off getting this team in order for a stronger finish for 2013 and a better start to 2014.

i like what the new FO are doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silva isn't going to lead the league in scoring . The guy is 25 years old has probably reached his peak as a footballer, that's part of the reason he was deemed expendable so quickly.