Page 271 of 288 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,130 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    MLS site can say whatever it wants. There's been multiple reports he's going back to Italy and retiring.

Plus you think the leauge is going to say a top player to one of its teams is going to leave the league?

Not saying it's not possible. Just think when there's smoke there's fire. He's as good as gone.
    Now I don't want to say you're wrong but...

""I am very pleased to be back with the Impact in 2014," said Di Vaio in a club statement. "After discussions with my family, it was clear that I wanted to keep playing and I am happy to be in Montreal for another season."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ercises-option

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    MLS site can say whatever it wants. There's been multiple reports he's going back to Italy and retiring.

Plus you think the leauge is going to say a top player to one of its teams is going to leave the league?

Not saying it's not possible. Just think when there's smoke there's fire. He's as good as gone.
    The Impact are reporting it themselves. Though there's no quote from Di Vaio in there, I doubt they'd go and report that if he hadn't told them personally he decided to stay.

edit: ^ Didn't see that story. Weird they wouldn't include those quotes on their own website but there you have it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to ask this question. If we have two good goalkeepers why are we getting rid of the one we've already given a hefty contract? Doesnt that count against the cap? It would be better if the team could trade or loan out Bendik.

RE: Vancouver Canucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the nucks only did that after having a very long term contract on the books and not being able to trade it. you can't loan in the NHL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Now I don't want to say you're wrong but...

""I am very pleased to be back with the Impact in 2014," said Di Vaio in a club statement. "After discussions with my family, it was clear that I wanted to keep playing and I am happy to be in Montreal for another season."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ercises-option
    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The Impact are reporting it themselves. Though there's no quote from Di Vaio in there, I doubt they'd go and report that if he hadn't told them personally he decided to stay.

edit: ^ Didn't see that story. Weird they wouldn't include those quotes on their own website but there you have it.
    Well don't I have my foot in my mouth. LoL

Weird it was everywhere that he wasn't coming back. And yes it is weird that they wouldn't have those quotes.

Oh well one more year of giving shit to DiVaio I'll take it.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    I have to ask this question. If we have two good goalkeepers why are we getting rid of the one we've already given a hefty contract? Doesnt that count against the cap? It would be better if the team could trade or loan out Bendik.

RE: Vancouver Canucks.
    His contract is up at the end of the season and we are choosing not to extend. Result is 200k off the cap unless he signs for lower. I would expect Stephan to land in Europe somewhere.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Again another player that needs service. I've thought for years Gilardino was not very good and should definitely no where near the national team. For the MLS, he is good striker but needs service. He doesn't create chances out of nothing, he relies on service and he is a good finisher. I think there are better players we could get with that money then him thou.
    he scored 13 goals in Serie A last season. Gilardino is good enough for MLS. If he bags 12-15 goals, I'd be very happy
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    he scored 13 goals in Serie A last season. Gilardino is good enough for MLS. If he bags 12-15 goals, I'd be very happy
    Would finally replace the only double-digit goal scorer the club has ever had - DeRo had 12 and 15 in consecutive seasons. Danny K came close with 9 in 2012. That's it. Sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Gilardino really have that huge impact TL is looking for though? If we can get him service and he can score in the double digits I'll be happy but I don't see how he satisfies the bigger than Beckham claims. (unless of course the 2nd DP is one hell of an AM to sit behind him)
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Does Gilardino really have that huge impact TL is looking for though? If we can get him service and he can score in the double digits I'll be happy but I don't see how he satisfies the bigger than Beckham claims. (unless of course the 2nd DP is one hell of an AM to sit behind him)
    This is probably not an ideal signing. We should be looking for two creative forwards, guys who can pull something out of nothing. Both are likely to be 30ish or north of there, so we need two to get through a whole season. One can play up top and one in the hole, and if one gets injured, trade off roles.

A guy like Schellotto wasn't just a playmaker, he could finish too. But we need playmakers first and foremost. We don't create any chances for forwards to finish.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not everyone they are chasing right now will be a DP.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This is probably not an ideal signing. We should be looking for two creative forwards, guys who can pull something out of nothing. Both are likely to be 30ish or north of there, so we need two to get through a whole season. One can play up top and one in the hole, and if one gets injured, trade off roles.

A guy like Schellotto wasn't just a playmaker, he could finish too. But we need playmakers first and foremost. We don't create any chances for forwards to finish.
    I agree with this and desperately want a Schellotto/Blanco player who can do a bit of everything. Christian Gimenez is one who comes to mind who would fit.

BEN - I don't think TL said he'd be finding someone bigger than Beckham - I think he actually said there'd never be another one, but was looking for that "type" of signing.

I don't think this would be a good signing - I agree w Yohan we'd be looking at 12-15 goals a year. You can find that output in N.America and C.America without going with a DP (just saw Phil's post so yeah if he's not, never mind) and IMO his name is not big enough to make up for that in raising the team's profile. IF we're looking at DP strikers, they have to be capable of pushing 20 goals a season IMO.
    Last edited by spark; 10-16-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Not everyone they are chasing right now will be a DP.
    Any clues as to where they are looking for Non-DP's?
    I doubt we'd be able to get non-DP's that make sense from EPL and Serie A where Nelson/Lieweke are currently scouting...

Steve Bottjer over at RNO has a piece on which CMNT players could be a fit for TFC at reasonable cap-hits (Fresenga, Edwini-Bonsu, Pacheco, Ledgerwood)
    http://rednationonline.ca/Articles20...aluetoTFC.aspx

Any chance Nelson/Bez are lookin at any of these guys?

I could see Fresenga being a decent option to replace Ecks, and Edwini-Bonsu could be an interesting utility attacker off the bench - provided salaries for both make sense in MLS terms
    (i.e. not inflated simply because they are Canadian)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    BEN - I don't think TL said he'd be finding someone bigger than Beckham - I think he actually said there'd never be another one, but was looking for that "type" of signing.
    Fair enough - I can't keep track of all the hype talk TL comes out with about DP's. Either way I don't see this as fulfilling TL's "type" of signing, this is not a name (many) casual soccer fans will recognize.

Phil - you're not talking about Gilardino not being a DP though right?
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Any clues as to where they are looking for Non-DP's?
    I doubt we'd be able to get non-DP's that make sense from EPL and Serie A where Nelson/Lieweke are currently scouting...

Steve Bottjer over at RNO has a piece on which CMNT players could be a fit for TFC at reasonable cap-hits (Fresenga, Edwini-Bonsu, Pacheco, Ledgerwood)
    http://rednationonline.ca/Articles20...aluetoTFC.aspx

Any chance Nelson/Bez are lookin at any of these guys?

I could see Fresenga being a decent option to replace Ecks, and Edwini-Bonsu could be an interesting utility attacker off the bench - provided salaries for both make sense in MLS terms
    (i.e. not inflated simply because they are Canadian)
    Fresenga? Really? Nobody knows about this guy, except he's not doing much to stick around for his team, and Vancouver turned him down
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What will T.F.C look like next year.
    Bendik
    Bloom Henry Caldwell Morgan
    Rey Osario ---- ------
    --- Dike ---

Bench goalkeeper 2defenders 2midfielders 1forward;these could be any one still on the books at season end.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its still way too early to really speculate on who would fit where in the money end / DP. RIght now they are just looking to gauge interest in a number of players, some DP and some not. I don't have any specific info that lends to anything solid. I suspect it will heat up after the season is done, but even then they may not be able to talk about specifics until certain windows and FIFA timing rules are met.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I thought it was the league will tear him a new one. But no, I'm not opposed to Klose as long as we do our diligence on wear-and-tear. But I question how many DPs are necessary. Other clubs in this league are successful with less than that and there is a huge risk you become cap-strung.
    It might be that. Glad you got the joke!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot Laba in mid field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear Mista is ready to come out of retirement....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    What will T.F.C look like next year.
    Bendik
    Bloom Henry Caldwell Morgan
    Rey Osario ---- ------
    --- Dike ---

Bench goalkeeper 2defenders 2midfielders 1forward;these could be any one still on the books at season end.
    Dear god I hope we hold onto Laba, players like that don't grow on trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    I forgot Laba in mid field

Haha, oops forgot to read on!

I think Convey will be in the squad too. He'll be like our version of Justin Mapp (but worse). But ideally we'll have a stable of reliable midfielders. Really need to have some squad rotation in the area because these guys take a lot of grind over a season.

Think they should make a move for Attakora as well for defensive depth.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-16-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresenga? Really? Nobody knows about this guy, except he's not doing much to stick around for his team, and Vancouver turned him down
    Similar situation to Osorio before this year... unheard of, developed game in South America, etc...

Really, if he comes on a cheap contract, is he any worse of an option than Bloom or Richter?

Worst case - we have a cheap, domestic, depth/bench player
    Best case - he develops into a mainstay, and his SA football background helps him mesh well with the likes of Laba, Osorio, Rey, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Fresenga stands a decent chance of becoming a serviceable pro player. As was mentioned above, he's in the same mold as Osorio. Fairly impressed the few times I've seen this guy play. He's sort of like your poor mans version of Eckersley. Better passer, worse dribbler, slightly slower, but more disciplined with his defending while still being fairly intense out there.

Would definitely take a shot at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know he said Italy and England but Xabi Alonso just said he wouldn't rule out coming to the MLS after the season is done. 31, but he's not the " AM" we are looking for i guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please take all this transfer information in with a large amount of salt.
    This is a lot of postulating, yet we are selling the idea of our economical prowess well.
    Unfortunately been hearing difficult rumors about Ecks. I like him as a player, he seized his moment well here. Yet please remember, it's not all about the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Hey Ben; Gilardino may not be the impact name that TL is looking for but he would be a good fit on the football side of things. I think he is better than Di Viao. We would definitely need a very good attacking midfielder to get the best out of him though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meanwhile, enjoyed reading that TFC Academy qualified for the GA tournament with wins over Montreal, Columbus and Philly. Let's hope that at least one of goal scorers Restrepo, Montoya and Timachy stays the course and one day becomes the striker that club and country so badly need.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think Fresenga stands a decent chance of becoming a serviceable pro player. As was mentioned above, he's in the same mold as Osorio. Fairly impressed the few times I've seen this guy play. He's sort of like your poor mans version of Eckersley. Better passer, worse dribbler, slightly slower, but more disciplined with his defending while still being fairly intense out there.

Would definitely take a shot at it.
    Fresenga is not as same mold as Osorio. Certainly don't have same level of technique as Osorio.

What I really want to know is, why did Caps turn down Fresenga? Not good enough? Certainly Caps could have used Fresenga to fill in Canadian quota at the beginning of season, and I don't think Caps would have turned down a half decent domestic FB, considering they need someone to groom as Lee Young Pyo replacement. (which they still don't have yet)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresenga is not as same mold as Osorio. Certainly don't have same level of technique as Osorio.

What I really want to know is, why did Caps turn down Fresenga? Not good enough? Certainly Caps could have used Fresenga to fill in Canadian quota at the beginning of season, and I don't think Caps would have turned down a half decent domestic FB, considering they need someone to groom as Lee Young Pyo replacement. (which they still don't have yet)
    I think we should follow some cues from teams like Colorado, Dallas and Portland and look at some of the young talent in SA before it's snapped up. Look at the improvement in this kid's numbers playing in the Ecuadoran league, from 2 goals in a handful of appearances as a 17 year old to 17 goals as a starter in 30 games as a 19 year old. I don't care how small the pro league is; if you're 19 and scoring 17 in 30 anywhere in south America, you're worth a look.
    http://ca.soccerway.com/players/juni...oreira/180800/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your opinion. It's also not necessary for him to have the same level of technique since we're talking about a potential backup for the lowest paid position in MLS.

I don't know why the caps made the decision they did, but they aren't infallible. He was injured coming out of the Canada camp in Arizona thanks to Dunfield, so not sure how much of that trial went according to plan.