Page 258 of 288 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,740 of 8618
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    Apparently we've shown interest in Sam Collins from Hartlepool.
    To replace Brennan?

Cause no way we use an int spot on a 36 year old defender.

Oh and no way Donovan plays for anybody but a US based team. MLS loves him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Not only that, but he isn't type of DP we're looking for even though LD is half Canadian (his father is a Canadian). We going international for a DP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sam Collins for coach? Sure.

As a player? You must be kidding. Any hints on the source? Sounds absolutely farcical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently Ron Berg on twitter.

Ron Berg @ron_berg_mls Aug20
    Sam Collins meets Owen Coll, John Wilson, Kevin Ellison at Pearson.

Last seen 'blading arm in arm down shoulder of 401 toward Downsview.Morlesio14 vindicated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    That guy shouldn't be embarassed, that guy was a god damn hero.
    agreed
    all hail rollerboy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Not only that, but he isn't type of DP we're looking for even though LD is half Canadian (his father is a Canadian). We going international for a DP!
    Considering the Dempsey fee (and his own willingness to come to Toronto) Donovan could be a bargain. I don't see why it's out of the realm of possibility. He's not that old and has the big name clout and track record TFC are trying to find, MLSE has money to burn, we have Leiweke, we have multiple open DP slots for 2014 now that Urruti has been signed below that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landon Donavan would contribute to a winning team here but his name would not put many butts in seats. I don't think he has the same appeal here or anywhere in Canada that he does in the states.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Landon Donavan would contribute to a winning team here but his name would not put many butts in seats. I don't think he has the same appeal here or anywhere in Canada that he does in the states.
    If you have a winning team you don't need a name to put butts in the seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone else watched Hull-Chelsea, Robbie Brady on Hull is exactly the type of winger we need. Decent pace, very good on the ball, and likes to take on defenders but not to the point of selfishness. He was making crisp passes all game and had some nice whip on his crosses. A winger that can actually threaten game in and game out, not just, at best, maintain possession like the wingers we currently have.

I'd never heard of or seen him play before but he stood out in an otherwise bland performance from Hull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    Apparently we've shown interest in Sam Collins from Hartlepool.
    Mighty mighty Hartlepool united....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    ...for the guy that actually roller bladed to BMO field and sat at the gate for like 30 minutes?
    No. That's the stuff of legends.

I'm talking about those of us who were informed that Folran was in town - when he obviously was not. In fact, it was later confirmed that he was suiting up to play in Brazzzzil.

"Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    If anyone else watched Hull-Chelsea, Robbie Brady on Hull is exactly the type of winger we need. Decent pace, very good on the ball, and likes to take on defenders but not to the point of selfishness. He was making crisp passes all game and had some nice whip on his crosses. A winger that can actually threaten game in and game out, not just, at best, maintain possession like the wingers we currently have.

I'd never heard of or seen him play before but he stood out in an otherwise bland performance from Hull.
    Ah yes, Brady, one of my cheapos in fantasy league. Would shred MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I fully agree, i was more pointing out that he would not be the "name" DP that TL is looking for.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elironico View Post
    Apparently Ron Berg on twitter.

Sam Collins meets Owen Coll, John Wilson, Kevin Ellison at Pearson.

Last seen 'blading arm in arm down shoulder of 401 toward Downsview.Morlesio14 vindicated
    Given your limited number of posts, I'm having a hard time telling if you think that's genuine, or if you're trying to give an assist to the mega-troll who thinks it's funny to set up fake twitter accounts and write that kind of shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fully agree, i was more pointing out that he would not be the "name" DP that TL is looking for.
    This is it! Leiweke is going big with DP signing. Forlan, Lampard, Kaka, Drogba etc.. is probably on his radar not LD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With 2 DP slots he could do both but I don't see LD as TL's DP he would be a move Payne would push for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With 2 DP slots he could do both but I don't see LD as TL's DP he would be a move Payne would push for.
    I think KP would sign another South American with DP while TL will sign a more "big name" player.

EDIT: Just imagine if TFC manage to sign both Drogba and Lampard with their 2 DP's. lol

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Rooney only goes if they sign a big name replacement first (which would basically mean they land Bale or Ronaldo).

Don't think there would be an issue with Donavon being signed tbh. United fans know that signings of different levels are needed - and Donavon would still be a useful player in a position that needs depth. Wouldn't see it as a loan though - especially considering his contract is up in Jan, and he'd have to re-sign with LA then go on loan.

Wide area is an area that is considered weak right now - most fans think that area needs to be strengthened. Young is garbage, Valencia is one dimensional and looked awful last year. Zaha is a work in progress, and Nani is inconsistent and injury prone.

I could see Donanvon at United tbh. He is also well thought of in the EPL.
    Oh God I hope not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    ^^^ This! ^^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Payne say last week that there would be two significant signings coming? We got Urruti, just wondering if there are any rumblings on who the other one is?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the idea is to annouce a DP for January, but its been a while since I have heard anything 'fresh'.

As far a Lampard, he isn't planning on coming to the MLS to my knowlege. Everyone is discouraging the move from his end and it seems he is listening. That being said, you never know.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be a fantastic signing...

Unfortunately, at the age of just 21 and already playing in the Premier league and for his National team, he's not a realistic target for MLS.

Maybe one day our league can get to the point where this type of player is within reach, but it's definitely not there yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also delivers an excellent set piece.

But, yea, not a chance he is coming to MLS at this stage of his career.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    That would be a fantastic signing...

Unfortunately, at the age of just 21 and already playing in the Premier league and for his National team, he's not a realistic target for MLS.

Maybe one day our league can get to the point where this type of player is within reach, but it's definitely not there yet.
    Sadly, at TFC we dont seem to have the same appreciation of good young American players who have been targeted by MLS. Like so many other sports, the Americans usually start behind somewhere in the shadows, and then through their amazing athletic programs, coaching, training facilities etc, eventually lead the way. I see this happening with soccer during the next decade or two. I know a lot of people here have a hard on for English soccer, and that is perfectly fine, but TFC plays in an American based league, and we are part of this system. I predict the US will win the world cup one day, it will take some doing and a long time, but it is not inconceivable given their supremacy in so many other sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Sadly, at TFC we dont seem to have the same appreciation of good young American players who have been targeted by MLS. Like so many other sports, the Americans usually start behind somewhere in the shadows, and then through their amazing athletic programs, coaching, training facilities etc, eventually lead the way. I see this happening with soccer during the next decade or two. I know a lot of people here have a hard on for English soccer, and that is perfectly fine, but TFC plays in an American based league, and we are part of this system. I predict the US will win the world cup one day, it will take some doing and a long time, but it is not inconceivable given their supremacy in so many other sports.
    I highly doubt highly skilled American players would choose to play for TFC over American clubs unless we offer DP money which isn't going to happen and be accepted by fans who want more high profile players or a younger player from one of better soccer countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think the idea is to annouce a DP for January, but its been a while since I have heard anything 'fresh'.

As far a Lampard, he isn't planning on coming to the MLS to my knowlege. Everyone is discouraging the move from his end and it seems he is listening. That being said, you never know.
    From what I have heard in British press, at end of last season he was very open to the idea. I guess there were a few of the old guard at Chelsea unhappy with their treatment by Rafa. With Mourinho coming back I think that notion has been definetly axed for this season. There's a feel good factor again at Chelsea, and I think Lampard will want to stay, esp with world cup next yr. He may re-visit the MLS possibility next season, but my guess is we'd not even be on his radAr, I'd say LA would be his choice if he ever does to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    From what I have heard in British press, at end of last season he was very open to the idea. I guess there were a few of the old guard at Chelsea unhappy with their treatment by Rafa. With Mourinho coming back I think that notion has been definetly axed for this season. There's a feel good factor again at Chelsea, and I think Lampard will want to stay, esp with world cup next yr. He may re-visit the MLS possibility next season, but my guess is we'd not even be on his radAr, I'd say LA would be his choice if he ever does to MLS.
    Yeah, it's bit of a pipedream to except Lampard to sign with TFC. This is why I still think Forlan is going to sign with us next season. He has a personal connection to Canada and he has shown interest signing with us in the past (this year and few years ago).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's bit of a pipedream to except Lampard to sign with TFC. This is why I still think Forlan is going to sign with us next season. He has a personal connection to Canada and he has shown interest signing with us in the past (this year and few years ago).
    I hear his free kick taking is complete shit. Totally lost it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly doubt highly skilled American players would choose to play for TFC over American clubs unless we offer DP money which isn't going to happen and be accepted by fans who want more high profile players or a younger player from one of better soccer countries.
    I understand, but I am not referring to designated players. The US college system is churning out MLS calibre players every year, and we have done a crap job of picking the right ones, and keeping the ones we did pick. There will be a time when that 21 year old star player is just as likely to come from the US as from any other place .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I hear his free kick taking is complete shit. Totally lost it.
    Yeah, heard he has a right foot like a present-day Margaret Thatcher...