Page 175 of 288 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,250 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed. I am very thankful this fell through.

We need to use more of the international slots on low-budget guys with upsides. It can't just be high priced DPs.
    I think a big sigh of relief all around - If there's anything the contracts of O'Dea and Ecks show is how incredibly handcuffing an overpaid international can be against the cap and against any kind of forward progression on the roster -eating up cap space unnecessarily as well as costing an international spot, be sure the player is worth it. Although Henry's last performance did nothing to asuage concern in the middle of the defence, he can learn from that, but i think a left footed player in there might not have been eaten up by Arrieta so easily - he pretty much just made a final move to the right to get off a shot against henry a few times, and got a couple away a little too easily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is getting desperate if they were trying to sign Neill. But then again, Nelsen may wanted to hook up his friend (assuming here) a job? So maybe Nelsen was trying to do a flavour here? Thankfully, it didn't workout in the end.

Hopefully we get more attacking players. Hall and Convey aren't doing the job consistently as starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    I think a big sigh of relief all around - If there's anything the contracts of O'Dea and Ecks show is how incredibly handcuffing an overpaid international can be against the cap and against any kind of forward progression on the roster -eating up cap space unnecessarily as well as costing an international spot, be sure the player is worth it. Although Henry's last performance did nothing to asuage concern in the middle of the defence, he can learn from that, but i think a left footed player in there might not have been eaten up by Arrieta so easily - he pretty much just made a final move to the right to get off a shot against henry a few times, and got a couple away a little too easily
    Besides last game, Henry has been solid in the back. People sometimes forget he's only 20 years old. Most players in his age are playing college soccer in NA. So I except Henry to make mistakes and be inconsistent at times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Henry's upside - not the small coachable mistakes he makes.

He'll be a great centre half for TFC and Canada for years to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    I see Henry's upside - not the small coachable mistakes he makes.

He'll be a great centre half for TFC and Canada for years to come.

I think we are witnessing alot of progress already from Henry - even when he got beat, he didn't foul unnecessarily, didn't get faked out into sticking in a tackle that would have left the keeper to fend for himself - even backtracked and blocked a shot after being beat

Hope he continues to grow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact he wanted to stay with tfc and was open about being a home town boy at a home town club I say henry will be at the tfc wall of fame when he's done here ... keep it up boi

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    I think we are witnessing alot of progress already from Henry - even when he got beat, he didn't foul unnecessarily, didn't get faked out into sticking in a tackle that would have left the keeper to fend for himself - even backtracked and blocked a shot after being beat

Hope he continues to grow
    You'd be saying something different if Arrieta went down easy and Henry got sent off. Gets beaten, grabs shirt. Henry was lucky that Arrieta played fair

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    You'd be saying something different if Arrieta went down easy and Henry got sent off. Gets beaten, grabs shirt. Henry was lucky that Arrieta played fair

From in 111, that looked like it was within the box too. He lets people inside him a bit too often.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't have been completely opposed to the Neill signing. I think TFC still has the youngest average back five in the league, and a lot can be said for an older average defense and goally. TFC's defense is young, and at times it really shows. I think its easy to forget how young Henry is and normally a centre back doesn't mature until at least 24 or 25, probably older in many cases. Could the whole TFC defense learn from another veteran CB? I would say yes. It would be short term, but the long term benefits of Boss and Henry learning from Neill would be massive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry was lucky that he didnt get sent off, even without arrieta going down at all. Henry grabbed his shorts and then his shirt too. It was a clear foul even without going to ground. We were very lucky.

Arrietta tried having a go at Caldwell early and quickly realised that Henry was a much easier target and he exploited him.

Henry is a good, young player with plenty of upside. Games like Saturday will happen. I'm okay with a bad game as long as he learns from his mistakes. He's been awfully over agressive on the edge of our box this year. Hopefully Nelsen can mentor it out of him.
    Last edited by v00d00daddy; 07-29-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always worried whenever Henry gets beaten on the ball. His go-to seems to be to grab onto the guys shirt and pull him down. He has good raw skill but that's the problem sometimes - it's too raw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think Forlan is coming. They were obviously close. Leiweke wants this deal. Bad.

Feels like a deal that gets done at the stroke of midnight on the last day of the window.

Who's with me?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps not Forlan, but Payne made it known to Luke Wileman on Saturday that up to 3 DP signings may be announced shortly. I continue to wait for official announcements with bated breath.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I still think Forlan is coming. They were obviously close. Leiweke wants this deal. Bad.

Feels like a deal that gets done at the stroke of midnight on the last day of the window.

Who's with me?
    Yup. Somebody mentioned earlier in this thread that the deal fell through cuz Inter wanted 3 million more for the transfer. If TFC really want Forlan, who here thinks that they're gonna drop the deal for an extra 3 million? Not me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yup. Somebody mentioned earlier in this thread that the deal fell through cuz Inter wanted 3 million more for the transfer. If TFC really want Forlan, who here thinks that they're gonna drop the deal for an extra 3 million? Not me...
    To put 3 mil into perspective for MLSE it is less than they are paying for the leafs 3rd line C... And probably less than the raptors 9th man will make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forlan's contract ends 17.07.2014(according to transfer market). No one pays 5+ million(2 supposed TFC offer+ 3 million demanded) for a 35 year old player that close to free agency.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-29-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    To put 3 mil into perspective for MLSE it is less than they are paying for the leafs 3rd line C... And probably less than the raptors 9th man will make.
    Exactly my point. I think the deal is now at a poker standoff, and both sides are waiting to call each other's bluff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Kaka will find out he's not in the plans at Madrid within the next six months, which will put TFC in position to make a move during winter transfer season. Maybe this is what they mean when they say they are targeting a player that won't be here this summer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Forlan's contract ends 17.07.2014(according to transfer market). No one pays 5+ million(3+ 2 TFC offer) for a 35 year old player that close to free agency.
    You do if you're an MLS team and want to get a player with Forlan's pedigree. The man is producing every game in brazil and just played for Uruguay, so his age does not concern me much.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other sticking point would be Forlan's new bride. She's a medical student in Brazil (no he did not marry the model everybody keeps posting pics of); its unlikely she would be able to continue her training here. Wheras, in the States, these things are less controlled.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Who's with me?
    If it doesn't happen this week, I predict they move on.

A lot was invested in him coming this window. A shame that news got into the press.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reading between the lines from what Payne said, I doubt Urruti is our young DP. He would have 1 year of young DP status and then would be a regular. If we are bringing in a regular DP now and another one in January we won't have the ability to graduate Urruti to a full DP after next season.

The player will have to be a very young DP level player.

Also how long has the "young" DP designation been around? I feel like they will have to do something with a bridge contract between young DP and full DP if the league wants to retain some of the young talent they are trying to develop via this rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think Kaka will find out he's not in the plans at Madrid within the next six months, which will put TFC in position to make a move during winter transfer season. Maybe this is what they mean when they say they are targeting a player that won't be here this summer.
    I agree. He wants to have a genuine chance at making the Brazil squad next year too. By January, Scolari will have made up his preferred squad and Kaka will know by then if he has a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You do if you're an MLS team and want to get a player with Forlan's pedigree. The man is producing every game in brazil and just played for Uruguay, so his age does not concern me much.
    Well sure MLSE has money. TFC needs to play hardball though, or agents will hike their transfer demands. In the grand scheme of things I think Kaka is being targeted, TFC need to show they are not going to pony up cash just like that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The other sticking point would be Forlan's new bride. She's a medical student in Brazil (no he did not marry the model everybody keeps posting pics of); its unlikely she would be able to continue her training here. Wheras, in the States, these things are less controlled.
    What are you talking about, he married Paz Cardoso, what a dog:
    Last edited by 69Chevy396; 07-29-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree as that happened in front of me there is no way Henry gets sent of on that call. At most a penalty, but they were both tugging on each others jersey.

The no call is the right call there, the same as the non call on Brockie late in the first half

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^if Henry gets called for a foul, it would have been a denial of clear goal scoring opportunity call. Red card.

If we are talking about same play that is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    Disagree as that happened in front of me there is no way Henry gets sent of on that call. At most a penalty, but they were both tugging on each others jersey.

The no call is the right call there, the same as the non call on Brockie late in the first half
    Henry was the last defender back and his grabbing/tugging would have stopped a goal scoring opportunity. Undeniable Red and Penalty if Arrieta went down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just can't see Kaka ever playing for TFC...no way this happens, y'all can stop dreaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    Henry was the last defender back and his grabbing/tugging would have stopped a goal scoring opportunity. Undeniable Red and Penalty if Arrieta went down.
    I am not sure if he was last man... None the less it was the right call they were both grabbing each other's jersey. Henry was just more obvious.