Page 156 of 288 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 8618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LEIWEKE SAYS GOOD DESIGNATED PLAYERS ARE HARDER THAN EVER TO FIND
    http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=428211
    Last edited by Wince; 07-23-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I know it's a million years in the past now, but someone should dig out those files and ask the tough question of: how did we end up signing so many players through so few agents? How was this handled? Were the deals actually made in the best interest of the club? Did the club actually seriously consider offers outside of their core group of agents? People were tripping all over themselves to help this club out early in the day and they were arrogantly turned away by an insular front office group.

Cochrane is the name we always talk about, but i'm sure there are probably a few others who should be turfed as well.
    I have a feeling we don't even know half of the shady nonsense that went on since the clubs inception. Payne running the show is going to ensure the staff aren't useless, not like the clown Anselmi or Coch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still don't know how you trade Silva without anything done. It's beyond short sighted & poor management.

TFC could have waited to see what was out there before playing their hand in public...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wince View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=428211LEIWEKE SAYS GOOD DESIGNATED PLAYERS ARE HARDER THAN EVER TO FIND
    Just took my hat off and threw it to the floor, brb going to jump on it for a bit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Man View Post
    I still don't know how you trade Silva without anything done. It's beyond short sighted & poor management.

TFC could have waited to see what was out there before playing their hand in public...
    This is what I find so frustrating. The longer we go without bringing someone in, the more headscratching the timing on that deal was. I'm not saying the results would have been any different the last 3 games, but surely having Silva around in the interim couldn't have hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

56 pages have been added to this thread since the beginning of the month...are we consumed with this, much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silva was traded ASAP to play it safe just in case he got injured if TFC kept him longer. So TFC probably didn't want to take that chance and decided to trade him to DC United.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    56 pages have been added to this thread since the beginning of the month...are we consumed with this, much?

Well when there is not much else to cheer for....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    People are making way too much out of Nelsen and Payne saying players are coming. Go check just about any team's (MLS or Europe) news and every manager is saying the same things or worse. Saying we hope to have players coming in is the equivalent of saying no comment. Now if you are like David Moyes and are announcing every single offer you make to specific players then you set yourself up to look like a knob if it all falls through.

Besides who really thinks no one, at all, is coming? I for one would rather them take their time and at least try to get good players that are financially responsible and a good fit than have barged into the market and nabbed us up some wicked Gerbas, Usanovs, or Hscanovics. We did that already and I still have horrible visions of Mista floating around out there in my head.
    Im not too concerned about whose coming in but rather who goes out.......Silva, Dero, Plata to name a few. These guys together with Laba would have improved our play big time (example). just hypothetically speaking of-course it never could have happened.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"It may be this window, it may be the next window.

Welp, see ya later.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Yep O'brian White anyone?
    Portland, the expansion club has built their team around college players such as Dike, Evans, Horst, Jean Baptiste, Harrington, Jewsbury, Ryan Johnson, Mckenzie, Miller, Richards, Zemanski, Zizzo. Last I looked Portland is playoff bound and significantly better at developing young players, unlike TFC. Besides, White suffered from a recent illness, he is your best example? MLS is fundamentaly an American league, built largely around US college players. TFC has never come to grips with this. Where US based teams build patiently following this system, we recruit mediocre UK based players from the second and third tiers-these players are generally not good enough, not the US colege counter parts who never seem to stick around longenough to develop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=428211LEIWEKE SAYS GOOD DESIGNATED PLAYERS ARE HARDER THAN EVER TO FIND
    so are good cheap lawyers
    Last edited by gate7; 07-22-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Portland, the expansion club has built their team around college players such as Dike, Evans, Horst, Jean Baptiste, Harrington, Jewsbury, Ryan Johnson, Mckenzie, Miller, Richards, Zemanski, Zizzo. Last I looked Portland is playoff bound and significantly better at developing young players, unlike TFC. Besides, White suffered from a recent illness, he is your best example? MLS is fundamentaly an American league, built largely around US college players. TFC has never come to grips with this. Where US based teams build patiently following this system, we recruit mediocre UK based players from the second and third tiers-these players are generally not good enough, not the US colege counter parts who never seem to stick around longenough to develop.
    Was just one example but there are hundreds. They usually end up playing USL/NASL or just quit the sport all together. I'm happy Portland got it together. Good for them. They must have hit a lotto ticket. Not many other teams have built the self on NCAA alone. And if its that easy then why isn't every team following that path?

I look at the NCAA players and draft as the place to get the middle of the road players that will give you a good effort might have talent but not good enough for high levels of football. You have your bottom tier players as new picks or academy players, middle players are a mix of older NCAA/academy international players on lower salary and our high end is young and full DPs. That's how I think you build a perennial contender in this league. Especially if you have good talent coming from scouting and academy that can replace older players or players being sold.
    Last edited by BuSaPuNk; 07-22-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, tell me something I don't know. I'm glad it's hard. Landing floaters like Mista and Denilson are the ones that come easy. Then nothing but crap comes from that.

Just aim for regular players and save the superstar DP stuff for later, or never.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Was just one example but there are hundreds. They usually end up playing USL/NASL or just quit the sport all together. I'm happy Portland got it together. Good for them. They must have hit a lotto ticket. Not many other teams have built the self on NCAA alone. And if its that easy then why isn't every team following that path?

I look at the NCAA players and draft as the place to get the middle of the road players that will give you a good effort might have talent but not good enough for high levels of football. You have your bottom tier players as new picks or academy players, middle players are a mix of older NCAA/academy international players on lower salary and our high end is young and full DPs. That's how I think you build a parental (perennial?) contender in this league. Especially if you have good talent coming from scouting and academy that can replace older players or players being sold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Stupid autocorrect lmao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Silva was traded ASAP to play it safe just in case he got injured if TFC kept him longer. So TFC probably didn't want to take that chance and decided to trade him to DC United.

This is dumb.

No offence, but all players for every team would be traded under this premise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still maintain that it is easier to get quality players in this transfer season then in the winter. That's why I am hoping for at least 1 decent signing of a starter.

I remain thinking we need:

• Two wide playing midfielders
    • A stud AM (where I would like to see our older DP go)
    • A young DP forward
    • A LB with a bit more experience

Convey doesn't cut it for me. I love Osorio but he's no spreader of the ball, yet. He would be perfect learning behind a DP and then coming in as a sub every game. I'm not sold on Jeremy Hall at all. Brockie I feel is going back while Braun/Earnshaw/Koevs is not enough. And, Morgan needs to be platooned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it has to be said, Leiweke never put a date on when his 'household superstar' DP was going to arrive. He merely said he wanted it to happen in the future and that he thought the supporters deserved it. And we do, by the way.

I truly hope the next three days bear fruit, otherwise I feel another last-minute rash of bandages will be slapped on to close out the season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is dumb.

Depends on the money on offer. Rumour has it DCU had a lot of allocation readily on hand and the willingness to buy it. You don't jeopardize that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Depends on the money on offer. Rumour has it DCU had a lot of allocation readily on hand and the willingness to buy it. You don't jeopardize that.

This is true.

I didn't consider that Silva was such a high value target... I wish that MLS would divulge the numbers because I find it hard to believe that a 24 year old would garner such interest. (perhaps) Kevin Payne is more of a tic tac tician than I originally assumed?

Don't get me wrong, for $100.000 I would have kept him for sure... He has skills that are valuable off of an MLS bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is dumb.

Injury can ruin trades/transfer deals. DC United were rumoured to offer tons of allocation money for Silva which TFC desperately needed to create cap space for their summer signings.

Also, I am sure DC United could have found someone else if TFC weren't willing to give up Silva so fast. So this deal was too good for TFC to turn down or tell DC United to wait it out until TFC got players ready to sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Injury can ruin trades/transfer deals. DC United were rumoured to offer tons of allocation money for Silva which TFC desperately needed to create cap space for their summer signings.

Also, I am sure DC United could have found someone else if TFC weren't willing to give up Silva so fast. So this deal was too good for TFC to turn down or tell DC United to wait it out until TFC got players ready to sign.

Yeah... sorry for being rude.

I just don't see how Silva could garner enough attention to be so valued.

That was my mistake and only time will tell us for sure...

In my mind at 24, your potential has probably been met. I could be wrong.

(I really wish that these deals and the whole financial situation with MLS was more transparent)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you, but I think DC United believe that Silva can potentially become like DeRo in the long haul. So they're taking a risk here since they can't just buy players like TFC is trying to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(I really wish that these deals and the whole financial situation with MLS was more transparent)
    That's my biggest problem with any deals. The lack of transparency in the leauge creates these problems. We don't know any numbers of this funny money. We can speculate but we don't really know and probably never will.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you, but I think DC United believe that Silva can potentially become like DeRo in the long haul. So they're taking a risk here since they can't just buy players like TFC is trying to do.
    That's the case... the DC ownership has nowhere near the resources of an AEG or an ML$E. They need to spend their league-given money to buy an up-and-coming prospect like Silva. If Payne got them to overpay for the opportunity, and we know DC had a lot of allocation, then it would be part of managing the cap. Every player has a price. Too bad everything is kept secret, so we can't really tell. $100,000 allocation wouldn't be enough for Silva, $300,000 or more would be a good deal for TFC.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didn't see this posted

my source on Saturday told me that the forlan deal was all but done until his old club decided that they wanted an extra 3 million transfer fee because the replacement they had lined up fell thru and they didn't have a backup plan.

anyone else get this info???

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're fucked because Leiweke insists on building top down, not bottom up. building a team using 3 DPs is a risky proposition. very little room for error, (your signings must pan out) and one long term injury can scupper your plans. and your min wage players must pull above their weight.

Leiweke thinks he can pull this off because LA did it. but Toronto is not LA, and the key to LA's success is not the DPs they got, but a shrewd manager who got the most out of his cheap players (Bruce Arena)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any and all approaches are risky. Leiweke is not building top down...more adding whipped cream to an existing sundae.
    Youthful base? Agbossoumonde, Henry, Osorio,Eckersley, Bekker, Morgan, Bendik, Laba A few affordable veterans? Caldwell, Convey, Earnshaw, Frei?
    3 DPs - I think Payne has mentioned 4 - says that if two are young and two are regular MLS will let you go with 4.
    I am sure that one of the complications facing TFC is Danny K. you can't sell an injured player. If you want to offer his DP spot to somebody you have to offer a nonDP contract that will magically turn into a DP when Danny K's expires. For that to happen the player has to be motivated to play for Toronto. Competing offers would be a distraction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alvaro Rey Club Fans@Alvaroreycf4m
    El Toronto FC no se rinde y vuelve a por Álvaro Rey,ya es su tercera oferta por el andaluz.

The Toronto FC does not give up and come back for Alvaro Rey, and is his third bid for the Andalusian

https://twitter.com/Alvaroreycf/stat...45855776636928