Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there will be a good number of people there. My guess is around 30k. Will be nice to not freeze my ass off on opening day. I remember opening day a few years ago vs. Dallas or Seattle (I believe) it was FREEZING at BMO!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Yes, that would be Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    I think there will be a good number of people there. My guess is around 30k. Will be nice to not freeze my ass off on opening day. I remember opening day a few years ago vs. Dallas or Seattle (I believe) it was FREEZING at BMO!
    Remember the home opener against Portland a few years ago. It was like -10c! Then Martina scored a wonder goal and I tipped a beer all over my buddy. Good times

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Remember the home opener against Portland a few years ago. It was like -10c! Then Martina scored a wonder goal and I tipped a beer all over my buddy. Good times
    Seattle was cold but Portland was the coldest.

Remember the song written for that goal? A classic.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?27317
    Last edited by ensco; 03-09-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so about 25k was what they said on TV was at the game. Not the greatest but if we are getting 3-4k travelling to Montreal next week that is a new record which is impressive so not so upset we only had half full Sky Dome.

Montreal i believe have sold around 30k total for next week game and they are aiming to sell 38,000 (the top deck will be closed so 38,000 is a sell-out).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    so about 25k was what they said on TV was at the game. Not the greatest but if we are getting 3-4k travelling to Montreal next week that is a new record which is impressive so not so upset we only had half full Sky Dome.

Montreal i believe have sold around 30k total for next week game and they are aiming to sell 38,000 (the top deck will be closed so 38,000 is a sell-out).
    As of a few days ago there were 8,000 tickets left. The upper deck is not actually open for sale, it is just where they issued a bunch of the tickets for TFC season ticket holders.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I'm the one who made a big deal of the history of false reporting, I should say that, to my eye, announced attendance of 26K looked accurate to me. The lower bowl was mostly full.

I appreciate TFC not inflating the number. Good on them.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Since I'm the one who made a big deal of the history of false reporting, I should say that, to my eye, announced attendance of 26K looked accurate to me. The lower bowl was mostly full.

I appreciate TFC not inflating the number. Good on them.

And good on you for saying so. Very big. Thumbs up!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    so about 25k was what they said on TV was at the game. Not the greatest ...
    The announced attendance was 25,991 at the stadium, if I remember correctly. Over 26K if you count those on the pitch

Surely that IS the greatest attendance for an MLS game in Toronto, ever.

It doesn't exactly send a message to the club that they shouldn't be playing at Rogers Centre. Though if the league is going to start so early in future years, I don't really see another option.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    The announced attendance was 25,991 at the stadium, if I remember correctly. Over 26K if you count those on the pitch

Surely that IS the greatest attendance for an MLS game in Toronto, ever.

It doesn't exactly send a message to the club that they shouldn't be playing at Rogers Centre. Though if the league is going to start so early in future years, I don't really see another option.
    playing on that carpet is a disgrace to the game. even though Rogers will be happy that Skydome gets more use, and willing to use the weather as the excuse, but I'm not fan of Skydome. unless real grass gets used
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    playing on that carpet is a disgrace to the game. even though Rogers will be happy that Skydome gets more use, and willing to use the weather as the excuse, but I'm not fan of Skydome. unless real grass gets used
    I 100% agree.

And yet given that the early games do attract the crowds, that TFC doesn't control whether there's grass or not at Rogers, that realistically not playing indoors means that we'd be starting with 3-4 weeks on the road every year ... I can see this continuing.

And once or twice a year ... I can live with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Jays said they are planning for real grass in about two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think the Jays said they are planning for real grass in about two years.
    Which boots the Argos out, also making me wonder if they'd allow it for soccer use?

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be a horrible shame to play more than a few early season games in the dome.
    The SSS has an intimate feel that you just don't get at the Rogers Centre.

Far from the field in a large cavernous area of bad acoustics, I might just as well watch it on TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do people ever expect to:

1. honour international dates
    2. alleviate summer fixture congestion
    3. not play on turf

all at the same time. I'll take 3 or 4 games on the plastic if it means acheiving 1 and 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    How do people ever expect to:

1. honour international dates
    2. alleviate summer fixture congestion
    3. not play on turf

all at the same time. I'll take 3 or 4 games on the plastic if it means acheiving 1 and 2
    Good news is that Rogers are planning to install real turf (grass) in couple of years. Not sure Rogers would allow TFC (or soccer) play at Rogers Centre when they install grass, but I think loss of Argos and couple other events means they need to find something to replace them so they make some extra money. Having soccer games at Rogers when the grass is install makes perfect sense for them IMO. Since Rogers own TFC and sponsor TFC, I wouldn't be surprised to see more games at Rogers Centre in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Good news is that Rogers are planning to install real turf (grass) in couple of years. Not sure Rogers would allow TFC (or soccer) play at Rogers Centre when they install grass, but I think loss of Argos and couple other events means they need to find something to replace them so they make some extra money. Having soccer games at Rogers when the grass is install makes perfect sense for them IMO. Since Rogers own TFC and sponsor TFC, I wouldn't be surprised to see more games at Rogers Centre in the future.
    The Bills in Toronto series was extended for 5 years. So I guess that grass would be destroyed every year in November or December when the NFL game is played on it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    The Bills in Toronto series was extended for 5 years. So I guess that grass would be destroyed every year in November or December when the NFL game is played on it?
    It's possible or they can take grass out and install plastic turf for football. I am sure Rogers might be regretting about extending Bills series for 5 more years now (they can't even sell tickets for this game at regular price).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is with real grass i am guessing real dirt at the bases, could be a mess to play a Socce game there.

Jays want real grass at Dome soon so they don't want Argos ripping up the grass and TFC don't want them doing the same to BMO field, no to mention there painted yard lines and eveything that just look awful. Argos need there own stadium.
    Last edited by james; 03-10-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So why not winterize BMO? Im sure in todays world this can be made possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just received an email from Argo HO in regards to season tix and I couldn't help but notice that their exhibition game is being played at varsity stadium. Perhaps this test is the first step to having the Argos relocated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So why not winterize BMO? Im sure in todays world this can be made possible.
    It costs a lot of money and TFC don't see any big ROI from it unless they do it so they can host Leafs game annually for winter classic, but BMO field currently too small to host an event like that.
    Last edited by TFC07; 03-10-2013 at 07:30 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos can never relocate to Varsity. The current stadium seats like 5G and there is no room for expansion. That ship has sailed. York U could be a possibility though, but I imagine they have their eyes set on somehow getting into BMO.
    The fear I have with the DOme is TFC getting the idea that they could move a playoff or championship game there in the future.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    I just received an email from Argo HO in regards to season tix and I couldn't help but notice that their exhibition game is being played at varsity stadium. Perhaps this test is the first step to having the Argos relocated
    Wow.

Just the fact they're playing ANY game there is huge after the negotiating debacle that made sure they couldn't make varsity their home...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i ended up at the Dome and i thought it was a good atmosphere. I don't know what it looked like on TV, but in person the crowd looked respectable and sounded good. Honestly, other than the fact that the games are played on carpet, i think the Dome is not a terrible place to enjoy one or 2 games a year.

and LOL at the idea of any professional team playing a game at varsity. why on earth would the argos play there? That place is a glorified high school ground. I respect the Argos and what they mean to this city and i hope they sort out their playing situation.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    and LOL at the idea of any professional team playing a game at varsity. why on earth would the argos play there? That place is a glorified high school ground. I respect the Argos and what they mean to this city and i hope they sort out their playing situation.
    Rogers Centre gave them no dates for a possible pre-season home game. They were faced with the idea of neutral site game (Quebec City possibility), play 2 road pre-season games, or play at varsity.

The Argonauts don't even get 4th pick of dates there. Playing on Tuesday's and Thursdays, Sunday evening? 1 home game between September 3rd and October 24th.

From all accounts, I've heard that Rogers Centre gave 10 dates to play 9 home games.

Last year we played a home game on every single day of the week. I'd complain, but this also happened in 2004. Look what happened both those seasons.
    Last edited by Mulder; 03-11-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Argos can never relocate to Varsity. The current stadium seats like 5G and there is no room for expansion. That ship has sailed. York U could be a possibility though, but I imagine they have their eyes set on somehow getting into BMO.
    The fear I have with the DOme is TFC getting the idea that they could move a playoff or championship game there in the future.
    BINGO!

Should we ever go on a run, make the playoffs - the LAST THING I want to see happen is for us to abandon BMO for the Dome...

Yes, even if that means my tickets at BMO are 4-times the cost for the MLS Final at BMO than the Dome - I'd rather stay at BMO...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    BINGO!

Should we ever go on a run, make the playoffs - the LAST THING I want to see happen is for us to abandon BMO for the Dome...

Yes, even if that means my tickets at BMO are 4-times the cost for the MLS Final at BMO than the Dome - I'd rather stay at BMO...

Carts...
    I think that ship has sailed. They've had two very successful games there. They would move a championship game to the Dome for sure. It's not just the money, it's what the fan base would want. While nobody here supports it, the majority of the ticket base (suits and families) do not want to be outdoors in December.

Only hope is that they would put grass in for it.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-11-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    BINGO!

Carts...
    Agreed.

Although, we are undefeated at the Dome in 3 total matches thus far...

Just sayin'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a bit surprised how good the 25K looked. Filled in nicely. From where I was in 130 (for the first half), the sound from the supporters section wasn't too bad. Despite those things, it's not a good space for soccer, not sure it is a good place for baseball even.