Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see the Argos moving to a purpose built stadium in Mississauga or Vaughn or Markham.

The issue with grass at the Dome is light - that darn photosynthesis thing. Science has yet to work out how to do a field that big with our weather; the only examples are in warm weather where a dome can stay open most of the year. Rogers talks about it but I suspect it will be another 10-15 years until they do. By then, they should be thinking of moving to a purpose built stadium north of the city as well (Downsview comes to mind). The Dome isn't designed for a 50+ lifespan.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting soft... I think I would prefer a December MLS Cup finals match to be indoors. Yeah, it's not as great view and the Dome cuts some of the noise, but the thought of playing in deep winter (even if they do it in England) is unappealing.... especially since we would get low turnout for one of the most critical matches ever! It needs to be indoors..

Besides, I'd love to break all the records for a match in TO.

November semis though? BMO it is.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I could see the Argos moving to a purpose built stadium in Mississauga or Vaughn or Markham.

The issue with grass at the Dome is light - that darn photosynthesis thing. Science has yet to work out how to do a field that big with our weather; the only examples are in warm weather where a dome can stay open most of the year. Rogers talks about it but I suspect it will be another 10-15 years until they do. By then, they should be thinking of moving to a purpose built stadium north of the city as well (Downsview comes to mind). The Dome isn't designed for a 50+ lifespan.
    If I'm not mistaken, Rogers is installing a permanent natural grass surface at the Dome as early as next year in time for the 2014 MLB season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dome isn't designed for a 50+ lifespan.
    I'm not sure where people get these figures from. The dome structure it's self was designed for a 300 year return period for the City of Toronto, while the roof was built to withstand loads for a 100 year period. Both with proper maintenance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not talking the basic engineering structure (although I remember the 80's and engineering promises)

I'm talking about the natural obsolescence of how we interact with the form. The 60-80's mega structures were designed to please the needs of the time, without thought to how we would deal with them in the future. Skydome is one of the last mega structures like that in NA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not talking the basic engineering structure (although I remember the 80's and engineering promises)

I'm talking about the natural obsolescence of how we interact with the form. The 60-80's mega structures were designed to please the needs of the time, without thought to how we would deal with them in the future. Skydome is one of the last mega structures like that in NA.
    With Rogers pouring 250million into renovations into the Skydome over the next few years. I don't see a new stadium being built for the Jays anytime in the next 20-30 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are still problems in this area but for a stadium where cost is not a constant solutions are available.

I toured Ajax's stadium in the summer and from what they were saying pretty much every modern enclosed stadium has issues with the grass, because of light, airflow and a whole bunch of other reasons. In most of these modern structures the grass itself is grown on a great-like structure that also facilitates heating / drainage. Ajax is considered a world leader in this area and the way they deal with the problem is they have huge sun-lamps that are brought around to different areas of the pitch that provide a substitute for natural sunlight. They also have huge fans that sit around the sides that circulate the air. Seems to work, they were voted the best pitch in europe. They are also further north than Toronto so despite having very favorable agricultural conditions, they'd also struggle with natural light a bit.

Anyway, point being that you could probably find a feasible solution for the dome if you threw enough money at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogers has not been a very cordial landlord to the Argos. I guess since the Argos are not owned by Rogers/MLSE they're probably seen as a necessary evil more than anything else. While I have no reason to doubt people's report of Rogers putting in natural grass for the Jays the amount of revenue they would lose from the loss of the Argos plus I can't imagine how you can host other events like Motorcross/Monster Trucks, concerts, trade shows and Disney on Ice with permanent real grass on the field. It seems like a bad business decision to me, but then again I'm not privy to their decision making process.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm getting soft... I think I would prefer a December MLS Cup finals match to be indoors.
    It might even give us a tactical advantage, if we're playing there once or twice a year. We're still undefeated at Rogers Centre - against the likes of Galaxy and Liverpool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Arizona Cardinals solved the grass indoors issue. They built the stadium so that the field actually is put on rollers and slides outside of the stadium to grow. When it is game time they wheel the grass back into the stadium. I don't know if it is possible to do that in Toronto as where would you even put the grass ?(like many NFL stadiums Arizona play in middle of no where, Sky Dome is in Downtown prime real estate) And also the Sky Dome was not originally built to do something like that so might not be possible and even if it is possible would cost some mega bucks to do such a renovation.