Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Will Rogers Centre be packed?

Hey guys,

I'm wondering how many tickets have been sold for the TFC vs SKC match this upcoming weekend. Is the outcome expected to be as great as it was last season in the Champions League match vs Galaxy? I've said before on this forum that I don't live near Toronto, so I can't come to most games. I've decided to come out to really special occasions. But, will the atmosphere at the Rogers Centre be great this time around?

I sure do hope so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not going to be packed like CCL game last year, but it still be a good turn out given current state of TFC. I believe there will be 30K fans at the game.
    Last edited by TFC07; 03-03-2013 at 04:47 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is 35ish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is zero buzz around this game or this team. That game last March was a huge game, and had Beckham.

They'll announce 30-35K, but it'll be more like 20K.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the giant banner coming?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently there are 50% off deals

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They havn't bothered to advertise this much.

I look forward to a VERY big push for the opening game in the Dome next season. I would hope somebody at Rogers will be pointing out the whole opening day vibe of the Jays, and the potential with a group of supporters that skew younger.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be real suprised if it was 30K in attendance unless the do the right and give tickets to local soccer teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say about 25k, which is a decent crowd considering our opponents don't have a Beckham or an Henry in their ranks. There is a buzz amongst the fans this season and it will probably be more noticeable in the numbers we bring to Montreal, which depending who you speak to will be in the 3-5k region, which is exceptional for an away team in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short of a huge pump up throughout the week, I'll say mid 20s.

I'd use stubhub prices as an indicator. They just released new blocks of tickets in the past five days and prices went way down. Luckily for me I bought for my group when they were significantly more expensive

Just call me another happy customer of dynamic ticket pricing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I'd say about 25k, which is a decent crowd considering our opponents don't have a Beckham or an Henry in their ranks. There is a buzz amongst the fans this season and it will probably be more noticeable in the numbers we bring to Montreal, which depending who you speak to will be in the 3-5k region, which is exceptional for an away team in MLS.
    I am involved with 2 of the bigger clubs in the Durham region and there has not been 1 email or note about this game. Another example of this team missing the boat methinks. I say you'll be luck to see 20k there. It will look like an early season Argo game, despite all of the pre-game bluster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Beirne a few weeks ago tweeted that they were already at the 25K mark.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Paul Beirne a few weeks ago tweeted that they were already at the 25K mark.
    TFC's track record on reporting attendance is atrocious.

It's sad. The next guy in the job will tell the same lies. Such is the world we live in.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

It's sad. The next guy in the job will tell the same lies. Such is the world we live in.
    Are you talking about what they annouce on game day, because outside of the LA game where they were pretty good with updates on ticket sold they have never really talked about tickets sold leading up to a game.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that we will break 20k... I can see a bunch of season ticket holders not turning up as this doesn't feel like the home opener... Also despite all the cheap/freebie tickets I think the % of no shows will be very high. There has been no push with the football clubs in the area and limited motivation for the floater to attend.

Hopefully I'm wrong but there has been no buzz about this game from any of the more casual fans.
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps some food for thought:

"Chivas USA’s announced attendance was 7,212 … and it looks highly dubious as an actual attendance count. (Teams across all sports routinely announce “tickets distributed” as the attendance, so Chivas USA is doing nothing unusual there.)"

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...at-chivas-usa/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS announced attendance is tickets distributed not turnstile attendance. So that why announced numbers are often 'embellished.'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Are you talking about what they annouce on game day, because outside of the LA game where they were pretty good with updates on ticket sold they have never really talked about tickets sold leading up to a game.
    I'm talking about the number of games over the last 3 years where they've announced 18-20K in attendance, and anyone can see that the actual attendance has been maybe 10-14K.

I'm tired of people posting that it's tickets distributed or sold, as though its normal that 40% of people who buy tickets just don't show up. As if that's reasonable to assume.

It's hogwash. The whole thing is rotten, dishonourable.

It's way bigger than TFC. Lying about attendance is now table stakes in getting/keeping a job in an FO in pro sports.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-03-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm talking about the number of games over the last 3 years where they've announced 18-20K in attendance, and anyone can see that the actual attendance has been maybe 10-14K.

I'm tired of people posting that it's tickets distributed or sold, as though its normal that 40% of people who buy tickets just don't show up. As if that's reasonable to assume.

It's hogwash. The whole thing is rotten, dishonourable.

It's way bigger than TFC. Lying about attendance is now table stakes in getting/keeping a job in an FO in pro sports.
    Look up the Columbus Dispatch's story on this from a couple of years ago, proving about half the Crew's attendance was ticket give aways, releasing free blocks of tickets to charities and such on gameday or the day before, then claiming the attendance regardless of whether they went.

People are right. It is based on "distributed." But that number is whatever the team wants it to be. It's as much a joke as the "losses" some of these teams are posting despite a 2.7M salary cap (about half the CFL, for crying out loud) and attendances of 15,000 plus.

But it is a big deal on a world basis because it drives the perception of the American league as taking over other from other countries in popularity rankings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I for one believe the claim that they've sold 25k as of two weeks ago. I think about 30k show up which should make for a decent atmosphere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE ticket distributing:I read somewhere that the MLS is now the 7th most attended league in the world now. seems about right.

anyway, back on topic; I think that if we get the reported 30k then it will be a success, especially if they decide to do the right thing and cut off the upper bowl to maximize the space in the lower tiers - Looks better on TV etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 issue for the game at the sky dome is tickets for non-season ticket holders in some sections is over pricd. That is 1 reason for them not selling as much tickets.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt we'll see much more than 20K at Rogers Centre for this match. There has been very little marketing for this game, so I wouldn't hold my breath expecting the same size crowd we had when we were playing LA this time last year.

Come to think of it, there has been very little fanfare about the club and the new season altogether in this city. Could it be the Blue Jays stealing a lot of the thunder?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    3-5k would be amazing. But i don't know if these numbers are real. I know TFC is giving away hundreds of free tickets and bus trips to Montreal but are all these people actually going to show up in Montreal or are they just going to throw the tickets away? wouldn't be suprised if that happens. My early prediction was 1k maybe 2k at most showing up in Montreal and i don't want people to be disapointed if 1 or 2k end up showing up you were thinking there was going to be 3k-5k. We will see what happens but i wouldn't have exspectations to high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I doubt we'll see much more than 20K at Rogers Centre for this match. There has been very little marketing for this game, so I wouldn't hold my breath expecting the same size crowd we had when we were playing LA this time last year.

Come to think of it, there has been very little fanfare about the club and the new season altogether in this city. Could it be the Blue Jays stealing a lot of the thunder?
    Some if it might be the Jays stealling the show. The fact that TFC has been at the bottom of the league for 6 years is another big issue followed by the fact TFC coaching and players has been a revolving door so no one has any connections or even know who the hell play and coach TFC anymore. Another reason there is no high exspectations in MLS, at the moment there isn't any reason to make people think TFC squad will be any better then last year. Also I think over priced tickets in the passed has scared people away even tho tickets sales have dropped now (some people probably don't know prices changed).
    Last edited by james; 03-04-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget the distributed free tickets thing. My point is that I went to a game early last year (it was against Chivas, and early in the year, ie they were 0-2 or 0-3 at the time, not 1-9). They announced 18,500 attendance, ie 85% of capacity, and I counted fannies in the seats in two representative sections (I sat in the west side, so was looking at the east side), and they were .... 30% full.

I posted this, and it was surreal, I got a stream of responses about the beer garden, people going to the washroom, people not coming, the south end has more (conveniently forgetting that the north end is deserted) .... as though these things could be the difference between the stadium being 30% and 85% full. So I've learned that, for whatever reason, people are somehow invested in this particular form of corporate storytelling.

You can take it to the bank that when a team official is tweeting excitedly about attendance, it's 100% weapons grade BS. Doubly true for this team.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-04-2013 at 07:36 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Well I for one believe the claim that they've sold 25k as of two weeks ago. I think about 30k show up which should make for a decent atmosphere.
    Paul has never lied about tickets distributed from what I've seen , and it's been many years now. The attendance figures announced for the games may be bogus, but that's an MLS issue as much as a TFC one.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-04-2013 at 08:04 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post

"Chivas USA’s announced attendance was 7,212
    Molinaro tweeted that it was time they moved Chivas.... enough already, and that was based on the announced attendance!

With Chivas it's much worse, because even out of the tickets distributed, a huge percentage of theirs are given away.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Paul has never lied about tickets distributed from what I've seen , and it's been many years now. The attendance figures announced for the games may be bogus, but that's an MLS issue as much as a TFC one.
    You say that as though it's possible to know how many tickets TFC have given away.

Re Beirne, he absolutely peddled nosestretchers about the waiting list long after it obviously evaporated.

It's a pro sports issue for sure. It's bad in all sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, some of you guys getting way too worked about how figures are reported, who cares. Go to the game and cheer your team on, try and enjoy yourself, don't be standing trying to count empty seats. It's almost like you're amazed that the FO might be a bit dodgy. All professional teams spin, that's the way the world works.The whole Montreal ticket giveaway is spin, as the actual ticket price is the cheapest part of it, it is the hotels etc that are the expensive aspect, but announcing free tickets has generated interest in this game at a time when we know a lot of people are not as committed as they once were.Deal with it, so what if we have 20k as oppossed to 25k or whatever, we have a lot bigger fish to fry re our club right now than disputing how many people actually attend games.Pick your battles lads, this isn't one of them.