Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Think part of this is that over the last few years American beers have started switching from ABW to ABV to list Alcohol content in their beer. ABV being the way it's been in Canada as long as I can remember. That means that the Alcohol on the label goes for something like 3.2 to 5 and people being generally dumb may think this is a sign they were watering down their beer.
    I live in the US, have been drinking beer for almost 10 years, and have close to 1000 different empty bottles in my collection. I've never seen a beer that measures ABW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I find American beer to taste weak but it's no less strong they Canadian Beer.
    The 12% abv American Brown Ale that I drank last night would like a word with you.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carlsberg was crap also. Personally I prefer much stronger beers (I drink Crest some times which is 10%) so like the fellow Guinness drinker said, they all taste like water to me. No change on the beer front, but hopefully Budweiser can help in other areas where they seem to have an unlimited budget (ie. events for the team).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keiths Cider is fantastic, grabbed the last one after the game at the trailer. There is one Stella tap at the south end and the BUD draft line ups were very short, even the guys at the consession stands were making comments about BUD and Michelob Ultra. Would be nice to see Stella on tap more but they might figure it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy at the bud stand was actually a bit emabarassed to be serving bud
    to quote

"I know it sucks, but its all we have at this booth"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly off topic but I heard Rickards Red is actually just Molson Export with caramel/colour. Wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think TFC fans know their beer and are well rounded as to what is good and not so good and will have preferences, were not all NASCAR fans

What I wonder is if the Bud on tap is an experiment, remember season one when there were two tap stands beside each other Carlsberg/Carlsberg Light and it wasn't long before Carlsberg Light was gone on tap as ther was no line for it. Last year we had Steam Whistle but that vanished.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bud is not going away. Major sponsor. But, INBev is not stupid. If they notice a trend over a number of weeks, they will adjust. Most likely by adding more bottle/can options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone notice they had a beer stand with 3 imports on it around the 113/114 gate entrance. 1 Being a German beer that I can't remember the name, the other 2 Belgium beers Leffe and Hoegarden.

Bud was not the only option on Saturday but I don't think to many people noticed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Did anyone notice they had a beer stand with 3 imports on it around the 113/114 gate entrance. 1 Being a German beer that I can't remember the name, the other 2 Belgium beers Leffe and Hoegarden.

Bud was not the only option on Saturday but I don't think to many people noticed it.
    Stella was the other one.

Even though they are part of inBev, I guess there is no chance of getting any Goose Island brews. Dare to dream.
    Last edited by Seen; 04-01-2013 at 01:14 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Slightly off topic but I heard Rickards Red is actually just Molson Export with caramel/colour. Wouldn't surprise me if it were true.
    That could be an urban legend. Have you tried a blind taste test?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Labatt Breweries of Canada (owned by AB/InBev) sponsorship and pouring right deal is for 5 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaahuuu View Post
    I live in the US, have been drinking beer for almost 10 years, and have close to 1000 different empty bottles in my collection. I've never seen a beer that measures ABW.

The 12% abv American Brown Ale that I drank last night would like a word with you.

As i said when people here American beers they are just thinking of big brand names like bud light, Miller lights, Coors light and so on. Canada has a lot of crap big name beers tho to, Canada just tends not to make many light beers but still tend to make bland taste lagers. But what Canadians need to realize is America has some of the best craft beers in the world and craft beers are a small percent but are slowly growing across the country. Much like Canada it depends where you are in the country as some states have more craft beers then others, Northern West Coast and Northern East Coast states having some of the most craft beers while places like down south and the central states craft beer is less common and may never really arrive as they like there bland water beers. Much like USA, some provinces in Canada have more then others, Quebec coming out with the most and some of the best beers (In 2012 of the 100 Canadian beer awards 43 were awarded to beers made in Quebec) followed by BC and then followed by Ontario picking up momentum in the craft beer scene. But then there is places like Manitoba where craft just hasn't hit them yet.
    Last edited by james; 04-01-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seen View Post
    Stella was the other one.

Even though they are part of inBev, I guess there is no chance of getting any Goose Island brews. Dare to dream.
    oh thought it was a different beer. But anyways ya it was there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The beer vendor that comes through our area was having great difficulties selling beer at the LA game, especially the Bud Light. At some point he cracked a joke "Does anybody want a Carlsberg?" At least that got people's attention. Next time I'm thirsty I'll check out the beer stand near 113/114, or see if there's something closer to the west side. Perhaps the club could put out an accurate map where everything is being offered? Also didn't see any of the new food yesterday (although I didn't look much since I wasn't planning to buy anything).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walked up and down the east stands area and I think I only saw one booth selling cans - and it was only Stella, Rickards Cider and Michelob. If I don't make it to the bar before game and get a thirst for a drink at the game, I'll make my way over to the leffe. The cider wasn't bad, but a little too sweet and will be a hangover-maker in the summer sun.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    The beer vendor that comes through our area was having great difficulties selling beer at the LA game, especially the Bud Light. At some point he cracked a joke "Does anybody want a Carlsberg?" At least that got people's attention. Next time I'm thirsty I'll check out the beer stand near 113/114, or see if there's something closer to the west side. Perhaps the club could put out an accurate map where everything is being offered? Also didn't see any of the new food yesterday (although I didn't look much since I wasn't planning to buy anything).
    I think there are 'specialty' food shops. there was only 1 shop that sold the new hot dogs on the east side
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One thing's for sure - I've never spent as little at BMO as I did last Saturday. I found the stand that was selling Keith's cans fairly easily, and just had the one. Maybe this is a good thing (for my wallet anyway).

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a Rickards cider?? Who new.
    Not that I would pay the BMO prices anyway ... especially for inferior products I do not like.

It was even impossible to get a Guinness at Joe's before the game. Weird.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That could be an urban legend. Have you tried a blind taste test?
    I've heard that one as well. Wouldn't be surprised if it was true as Rickard's White in Canada and Blue Moon in the US are the same beer.
    Another summer of hope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    There is a Rickards cider?? Who new.
    Not that I would pay the BMO prices anyway ... especially for inferior products I do not like.

It was even impossible to get a Guinness at Joe's before the game. Weird.
    Sorry - Keith's Cider... Though I'm sure Rickard's makes a cider now too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As i said when people here American beers they are just thinking of big brand names like bud light, Miller lights, Coors light and so on. Canada has a lot of crap big name beers tho to, Canada just tends not to make many light beers but still tend to make bland taste lagers. But what Canadians need to realize is America has some of the best craft beers in the world and craft beers are a small percent but are slowly growing across the country. Much like Canada it depends where you are in the country as some states have more craft beers then others, Northern West Coast and Northern East Coast states having some of the most craft beers while places like down south and the central states craft beer has not reached them yet and may never as they like there bland water beers. Much like USA, some provinces in Canada have more then others, Quebec coming out with the most and some of the best beers (In 2012 of the 100 Canadian beer awards 43 were awarded to beers made in Quebec) followed by BC and then followed by Ontario picking up momentum in the craft beer scene. But then there is places like Manitoba where craft just hasn't hit them yet.
    Right you are James, about 16 years ago I discovered Saranac Pilsner and have been finding great craft brews and they are getting better. Some great beers there and many other states have a deep German heritage and have been brewing local good ones for some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

had no idea...tfc never did let fans know where these selections could be found; how much more epensive?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm......What this requires is a TFC beer food and bathroom app.

To tell you what beer and food is where and at what price. It could GPS you and give you directions to the nearest booth. Heck, if TFC got in on it, and the LCBO got into the 21st century, you could order your beer from your app, then pick it up, swipe your phone like us Starbucks drinkers do, and use your app store credit card to pay for it all.

And if they were really inventive, they'd put sensors in the lineup areas to all these things (including the bathrooms) so you could tell which bathrooom/vendor is busy and which has no lineup.

Then they could link it in to the TTC and GO to tell you about streetcars and trains.

I'd pay a buck a game for that.

I'll stop dreaming now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They could always start with a map of the stadium with concessions and facilities. I almost want to so that myself now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    had no idea...tfc never did let fans know where these selections could be found; how much more epensive?
    I still didn't buy any beer even tho I like Leffe, I try not to buy beer at stadiums as much as possible as the costs are still crazy high no matter what beer they are selling (I don't understand why they have to charge so much at sport events in Canada, sometimes i think they would sell much more if the costs were more at pub prices). I did see the sign that i think said a small-$7.99 now how many ML is in a small i don't know and how much does a large cost i don't know.
    Last edited by james; 04-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the hoegaarden was excellent on saturday
    bud is shite beer but cheap if you want to drink it and dont forget our new pres is a yank and probably not a canadian beer drinker
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect proper beer would probably kill a person who has drank nothing but Bud and Coors Light their entire life.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Support Local Football
    Support Local Beer
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenchen29 View Post
    Right you are James, about 16 years ago I discovered Saranac Pilsner and have been finding great craft brews and they are getting better. Some great beers there and many other states have a deep German heritage and have been brewing local good ones for some time.
    I would say in recent years America, and for sure on the West Coast they have been most famous for there extra hoppy IPA's usually between 6%-9% ABV. and i noticed that trend has been growing in Canada now to. But there is always new beers pushing the barriers these days on the local beer scenes.
    Last edited by james; 04-02-2013 at 01:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    Support Local Football
    Support Local Beer
    I agree with that!