Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Official Beer of BMO. . now with extra water!

The makers of Budweiser faced accusations on Tuesday of watering down the popular American lager in search of higher profits, in a class action lawsuit flatly rejected by the brewery. The beer-drinking plaintiffs alleged that Anheuser-Busch is violating consumer protection laws in California and Missouri by “falsely representing the alcohol content of the products it sells.

The lawsuit, which demands unspecified “compensatory damages” for anyone in the United States who has bought Budweiser products in the past five years, was filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco on Friday.

“I think it’s wrong for huge corporations to lie to their loyal customers,” said one of the plaintiffs, Nina Giampaoli, in a press release Tuesday from the Mills Law Firm, one of two firms involved in the lawsuit.

“I really feel cheated. No matter what the product is, people should be able to rely on the information companies put on their labels.”
    From its headquarters in Saint Louis, Missouri, Anheuser-Busch -- a core unit of ABInBev, the globe-girdling Belgian-Brazilian brewing conglomerate -- rejected the allegations
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looks like I'll be drinking Tetley's at BMO this year...oh wait...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can testify that this is true. I drank a fair bit it last night at the TFC kick off party and barely felt a thing. It really was like drinking water. I haven't had a Bud since almost high school days. It was remarkably like water.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a Cash Grab. Class Action Lawsuits like this give Class Action Lawsuits a bad name. If Budweiser were the focus of Erin Brackovich (sp?) and not PG&E, then Julia Roberts wouldn't have won an academy award.

Drink another beer if you don't like it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Techno you beat me to posting this hahahaha
    Last edited by zeelaw; 02-27-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a Guinness drinker, and lover of darker style ales, most domestic beer tastes like water to me anyway.
    Given the costs of beer at sports facilities I usually pass anyway so this news really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    I can testify that this is true. I drank a fair bit it last night at the TFC kick off party and barely felt a thing. It really was like drinking water. I haven't had a Bud since almost high school days. It was remarkably like water.
    it is my solemn opinion that if you are drinking Bud, you deserve to be cheated. and also get a punch in the balls
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

aren't they just reporing what everyone already knows anyway ?

Headline : Local man horrified to learn that Budweiser is shit
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will there be any other beers that I can purchase at BMO... Or is this it?
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Stella, Keith's, Michelob Ultra...and that's about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think part of this is that over the last few years American beers have started switching from ABW to ABV to list Alcohol content in their beer. ABV being the way it's been in Canada as long as I can remember. That means that the Alcohol on the label goes for something like 3.2 to 5 and people being generally dumb may think this is a sign they were watering down their beer.

I find American beer to taste weak but it's no less strong they Canadian Beer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not just about Bud or domestics. The problem is that inBev is pretty rapidly buying up every major beer in the world and destroying the quality. Read this if you have the time.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-americas-beer

If you don't read the whole thing, read the top part about what happened to Becks when inBev took it over and started brewing it in the US - same thing. It may or may not be intentionally malicious. Beer is highly susceptible to the ingredients. Purchasing the same raw ingredients from a different supplier, or brewing with a different water source can have a massive impact on the brew.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Looks like I'll be drinking Tetley's at BMO this year...oh wait...

I'm not promoting you bring your own alcohol to BMO ... I just know someone named Lewis

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the whole Canadian pride thing only counts when you're trying to sell jersey's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    it is my solemn opinion that if you are drinking Bud, you deserve to be cheated. and also get a punch in the balls
    Holy shit this post made my day. What if i just purchase a six-pack of the TFC branded bottles but don't drink it. Still ball-punch worthy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Budweiser (here in Canada) is brewed by Labatt - has been since 1980...

So while they have the Americana 'King of Beers' image, it's as Canadian as the other big brewery brands...

I don't mind the switch, as I'm not a fan of Carlsberg - but I do agree with the idea that local Toronto micro-brews should be able to purchase a beer stand in the stadium... Bud would have the signage, the stands everywhere, the volume they need to make it worth their while & profit, while the small guys would also make a profit from those wanting to wait for a different beer that is truly Toronto...

That would be my compromise of big bucks in from a big sponsor (Bud) and giving some truly Toronto beers a shot & a place at the stadium...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd LOVE to see Hogtown Ale or Junction Brewery get a stand at BMO. I don't know how Anheuser-InBev operates in various stadiums in the US, but I know that most of them nowadays do showcase local brewers. Hopefully they would be amenable to that here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I'd LOVE to see Hogtown Ale or Junction Brewery get a stand at BMO. I don't know how Anheuser-InBev operates in various stadiums in the US, but I know that most of them nowadays do showcase local brewers. Hopefully they would be amenable to that here.
    I was at one stadium in the US that was all Bud products, but had one tap for a small local craft brewery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the individual teams got the right to negotiate their own local beer deals, I think it is all up to what gets worked out. Considering how much beer is purchased, I would think MLSE would have a lot of leverage to carve out a craft brewery piece in the pouring rights. Unfortunately it's after the fact but maybe in the future something to push for.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    This is not just about Bud or domestics. The problem is that inBev is pretty rapidly buying up every major beer in the world and destroying the quality. Read this if you have the time.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-americas-beer

If you don't read the whole thing, read the top part about what happened to Becks when inBev took it over and started brewing it in the US - same thing. It may or may not be intentionally malicious. Beer is highly susceptible to the ingredients. Purchasing the same raw ingredients from a different supplier, or brewing with a different water source can have a massive impact on the brew.
    Wow, that's a very interesting but scary article. I did just read all 6 pages. Sad about Becks, which is certainly a high-school & university memory for me, and was always a reliable (if somewhat bland) choice in beer. Similar with Goose Island and other brands they've messed with. So if I'm calling for some other interesting Bud/InBev beers to served somewhere at BMO, we may not be getting what we expect.

I must be better organized this year, so I can make it to a bar & pre-drink before more games!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Think part of this is that over the last few years American beers have started switching from ABW to ABV to list Alcohol content in their beer. ABV being the way it's been in Canada as long as I can remember. That means that the Alcohol on the label goes for something like 3.2 to 5 and people being generally dumb may think this is a sign they were watering down their beer.

I find American beer to taste weak but it's no less strong they Canadian Beer.
    People always say American beer tastes like water. I know they are always just thinking of Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, MGD, Old Milwaukee, Busch Light exc. But what to many people don't realize is there are hundreds of great American beers out there. They just happen to mainly be Micro Beers. Canada is the same tho really, we got lots of shit water beer to but also alot of great Micro beers popping up everywhere now, people just need to look around a little and not just buy beers you see on TV commercials and bill-boards adds.
    Last edited by james; 02-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    People always say American beer tastes like water. I know they are always just thinking of Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, MGD, Old Milwaukee, Busch Light exc. But what to many people don't realize is there are hundreds of great American beers out there. They just happen to mainly be Micro Beers. Canada is the same tho really, we got lots of shit water beer to but also alot of great Micro beers popping up everywhere now, people just need to look around a little and not just buy beers you see on TV commercials and bill-boards adds.
    Very true. Some of the best beer I have ever had is American.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. Bud's a good beer to get a good buzz on IMO. I drink a couple of 32oz drafts of Bud, as well as a plate of hot poutine, as part of my end of the work week routine. But would I want to pay for a Bud at BMO Field at the prices they gouge?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the hell would anybody in Canada want to drink Bud anyway??
    I can understand the American success due to brainwashing / cultural propogation, etc
    I work in the brewing industry in Ontario and spend every day in a different brewery as part of my job - when i went out with clients from Labatt a few years back, I would drink a John Labatt Classic (with the gold foil top - sadly no longer available). Blue Light, Bud Light, Budweiser re all watered down, low flavour, low hopped beverages, that should be avaoided at all costs.

Molson has some good brands and when I'm out with associates from Molson-Coors, I'm happy to drink fresh draught Canadian or Export..... and the Rickards Pale is a decent ale.

At BMO, paying out of my own pocket, I dont touch the 'partner brew' Carlsberg, but hunt for tall-boys of Steam Whistle, Canadian or Kronenberg. It's not Rocket Science guys... I'm having trouble feeling any sympathy for a guy who shares a revelation that Bud is crap and he didn't feel he got value for money! I get it free and I'd still rather have a have water or milk and save my 'alcohol credits' for a good beer on my way home from work!
    Last edited by Wombat; 02-28-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The price difference between mass produced beers and decent beers is a couple of bucks. People buy Bud because that is what they see on TV. People are afraid to try new things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    What a Cash Grab. Class Action Lawsuits like this give Class Action Lawsuits a bad name. If Budweiser were the focus of Erin Brackovich (sp?) and not PG&E, then Julia Roberts wouldn't have won an academy award.

Drink another beer if you don't like it.
    If you violate consumer protection laws, you deserve to be punished.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the tap-water I drink is stronger than Bud. Oh well, not to prolong the discussion, needless to say, I'll be seeking out other beers at BMO this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    If you violate consumer protection laws, you deserve to be punished.
    You and I are agreeing all over the place