Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He's not "the best player we ever had".

He was done before he got here. He couldn't move well, from the minute he arrived.

Digression about the perils of daring to say anything about St Torsten that didn't/doesn't confirm his wonderfulness: I posted that he couldn't run after the first game he played against Dallas in 2011, and got blitzed for doing so. Also got blitzed for suggesting that his note to RPB, I can't remember exactly what form that took, at the end of last season, about how committed he was to Toronto, may have been less than it seemed.

So before 18 of you give me stick for posting this, my view of the guy is, he was a professional who did his job and never mailed it in. But he didn't have it any more, and he knew it, and instead of packing it in, he stuck it out for the money. Same as you or I would do. But he's not, never was, St Torsten of TFC.

He did show flashes of his former self, especially in the game at the Rogers Centre last year.

The acquisition of Torsten never made football sense. It was a business decision to try to stanch the decline in SSHs, which didn't work.

He is a God in Bremen and will resurface there I am sure.

He owes Klinsmann for helping him to get this $7.5 million gig. Big time.
    I agree with a lot of this, especially the business decision part.

But I still maintain he was the best player we've had so far, even if he was only able to perform at that level in 2011. His other qualities more than made up for his lack of mobility (which, IMO, wasn't all that bad until he pulled his hammy against Seattle on First Kick 2012).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He's not "the best player we ever had".He was done before he got here. He couldn't move well, from the minute he arrived. Digression about the perils of daring to say anything about St Torsten that didn't/doesn't confirm his wonderfulness: I posted that he couldn't run after the first game he played against Dallas in 2011, and got blitzed for doing so. Also got blitzed for suggesting that his note to RPB, I can't remember exactly what form that took, at the end of last season, about how committed he was to Toronto, may have been less than it seemed. So before 18 of you give me stick for posting this, my view of the guy is, he was a professional who did his job and never mailed it in. But he didn't have it any more, and he knew it, and instead of packing it in, he stuck it out for the money. Same as you or I would do. But he's not, never was, St Torsten of TFC.He did show flashes of his former self, especially in the game at the Rogers Centre last year.The acquisition of Torsten never made football sense. It was a business decision to try to stanch the decline in SSHs, which didn't work.He is a God in Bremen and will resurface there I am sure. He owes Klinsmann for helping him to get this $7.5 million gig. Big time.
    I think your assessment is honest and fair, although I would suggest that he was still playing at a fairly high level when he first arrived in 2011 and prior to his injury early last season. He had lost a step, but his vision and distribution were still world class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socceronly View Post
    I think it would be truly awesome if people held the media to the same level of criticism Duane receives for being a volunteer.
    You must not read this board too often. I'd say Larsen gets much more criticism.

And for being a volunteer, nobody has asked him to be a volunteer and I am sure most people would actually prefer if he wasn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many here are saying this isn't a "major announcement," but I think that's part of the problem with the culture at Toronto FC.

This is, in every sense of the word, a legendary player, with an extensive career, both at club level and internationally for Germany -- a national side surely amongst the world's powerhouses. During his time, here, even being a fraction of the player he once was, we were at our best with him on the pitch and the results reflected this. He left it all out there and, for me, was always a class act -- a true professional.

Someone mentioned, in another thread, that he had been wretchedly thrown under the bus, in his last competitive match and I literally felt a pain inside me; as much as I was delighted to have had him here, to see how things have ended, I would prefer it if we weren't THAT club.

I would argue that this is the first sign of our club going in the right direction, towards improving our reputation and the culture, at large. For me, them stating that he is set to retire, before the major press-conference, serves to underline the importance of honouring the player; we know he's retiring -- now let's properly show our appreciation for his services. Perhaps it's just impatience brewing with some of us, here, resulting from the lack of signings.. but, this should be seen as a big deal and worthy of it's "major announcement" labelling.

Vielen Dank Herr Frings. Ich werde es nie vergessen, wenn du ein Tor gegen Limpact gemacht hast -- ein tolles Torstentor! Ich wünsche dir viel Glück und Spaß in deiner Zukunft.

(Hope what I've written above is okay, considering the special nature of this thread)
    Last edited by JuliquE; 02-26-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad he's done. Great player, but time waits for no man. Frees up a critical slot in the team, as well as $. Also notice this quote from Payne, which is encouraging:

“We appreciate Torsten’s commitment to Toronto FC and are pleased he has agreed to work with us, particularly in Europe, on future projects."

Maybe we'll get some scouting value out of Frings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think my lasting memory of Frings with Toronto will be that ridiculous subway promo where he was looking to play pass with someone. I still can't believe they did that to such a great player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Nothing but respect for Frings, a true professional.
    +1 sorry to see his career end... definitely will miss him

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    I think my lasting memory of Frings with Toronto will be that ridiculous subway promo where he was looking to play pass with someone. I still can't believe they did that to such a great player.
    Never been able to bring myself to watch that - just cringe-worthy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Glad he's done. Great player, but time waits for no man. Frees up a critical slot in the team, as well as $. Also notice this quote from Payne, which is encouraging:

“We appreciate Torsten’s commitment to Toronto FC and are pleased he has agreed to work with us, particularly in Europe, on future projects."

Would make sense, he'll be coaching young players, many of which his club will be happy to sell.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stream is up and running, just some guy reading a newspaper so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though we won't hold too huge a place in his heart, after a short and tumultuous spell with us (injury, etc.), I'm sure that he would not be able to help feeling a bit of pride to know we're doing well and, as such, I'm quite sure that, in some capacity, we can surely expect him to lend a helping hand to the last club he's played for, from time to time.

On that note, I think that, besides the departure from old ways of forcing players out, this major announcement will undoubtedly give KP the chance to field questions re: signings and calm a few nerves, on that front.. all the while appearing to have not been the focus, unless steered in that direction by the media. It would be interesting if he takes a stand and expresses that he won't be fielding any such questions, out of respect for Torsten; would still say that this is a huge positive, even if he doesn't go so far and you can certainly understand him wanting to clear the air a bit, considering the state of affairs with the side, four days from his first MLS match at the helm.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    On that note, I think that, besides the departure from old ways of forcing players out, this major announcement will undoubtedly give KP the chance to field questions re: signings and calm a few nerves, on that front.. all the while appearing to have not been the focus, unless steered in that direction by the media. It would be interesting if he takes a stand and expresses that he won't be fielding any such questions, out of respect for Torsten; would still say that this is a huge positive, even if he doesn't go so far and you can certainly understand him wanting to clear the air a bit, considering the state of affairs with the side, four days from his first MLS match at the helm.
    Yep. That's the advice I'd be giving KP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This "relationship" means Frings can stay on the payroll (not the cap) without using up a buyout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't realize Frings was actually this accomplished in English.

edit: "A couple of ideas about designated players" says Payne.
    Last edited by notthesun; 02-26-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then that implies Danny K's going to get bought out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"come back every year"

Hmmm............legends game?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bostock and Robert Earnshaw on trial
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hogan Ephraim confirmed on loan, currently negotiating with QPR.

Bostock confirmed on trial.

Robert Earnshaw! also on trial, he's 'looking at us' and we're 'looking at them'.

Looking at two players in Honduras, younger players.

Onstad is in Argentina looking to sign a young forward as a DP.

All these players will be initially on loan to assess them before signing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robbie Earnshaw...he's LIKE Dickov.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lol...Earnshaw. Not sure how much left he's got, but it is interesting when FIFA 12 comes to life, hahaha. (he's on my squad).

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post

Robert Earnshaw! also on trial, he's 'looking at us' and we're 'looking at them'.

And there you have it, the real reason for the press conference. This is huge and gives me a great degree of comfort heading into the season. Takeoff will be turbulent since none of these guys have really played together a lot, but hopefully by the 5-game mark we'll start seeing a bit of cohesion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than anything, I hope Torsten's time here was an example to players, coaches, and TFC office staff of how a world-class professional of the game conducts themselves. That alone could be invaluable in years to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then that implies Danny K's going to get bought out.
    He was referring to new signings, I didn't think that referenced Danny at all. I really doubt he'll be gone.

Good to hear about Ephraim and the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post

We have 7 spots open. If all of these pan out, there is not much room for the other trialists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne definitely has a lot of irons in the fire, and the list of names mentioned thus far is fairly impressive, all things considered.

Hopefully, these loans are finalized shortly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Luck, Torsten. Personally, I felt he was slow and unfit last season, but some of that is likely the fault of the lack of pre-season fitness training.
    Time waits for no man, and with his hip issue and age , it makes sense to retire.
    This frees up a shitload of cap space and it's time for Payne to get his finger out and bring in some players asap.
    Not the wrong players for the sake of filling out the squad, but there is some degree of urgency to bring players in over the next few weeks. This should have been done in Jan/Feb, but with the Nelsen situation it's understandable it took a back seat.
    I worry tho that many in the stands will be less forgiving if we start as we did in 2012.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of those Hondurans we're looking at is reportedly Alfredo Mejia.

15 caps for Honduras, formerly of Udinese reserve squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. It looks like Bostock would take Silva's place, Earnshaw would replace Braun, and Ephraim would take the vacant winger spot. Why do I get the feeling that we're about to become the clearing house for all the QPR players they can't afford after they get relegated?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QPR can't afford their current roster even if they stayed up. No way we would be able to afford their cast offs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the announcement Torsten looked like he was starting to choke up at one point at not being able to play this year (I doubt it's due to MLS being a big deal , I think it's always difficult when a player hangs up their boots). He sounded 100% genuine and sincere.

Payne handled his part with great class and sensitivity, something we've never seen here in the past, first refusing to answer any roster questions until Torsten had had his time, then switching to that when Torsten started to choke up. I've respected Payne in the past, but my respect just went up even more another notch.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-26-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto