Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not "the best player we ever had".

He was done before he got here. He couldn't move well, from the minute he arrived.

Digression about the perils of daring to say anything about St Torsten that didn't/doesn't confirm his wonderfulness: I posted that he couldn't run after the first game he played against Dallas in 2011, and got blitzed for doing so. Also got blitzed for suggesting that his note to RPB, I can't remember exactly what form that took, at the end of last season, about how committed he was to Toronto, may have been less than it seemed.

So before 18 of you give me stick for posting this, my view of the guy is, he was a professional who did his job and never mailed it in. But he didn't have it any more, and he knew it, and instead of packing it in, he stuck it out for the money. Same as you or I would do. But he's not, never was, St Torsten of TFC.

He did show flashes of his former self, especially in the game at the Rogers Centre last year.

The acquisition of Torsten never made football sense. It was a business decision to try to stanch the decline in SSHs, which didn't work.

He is a God in Bremen and will resurface there I am sure.

He owes Klinsmann for helping him to get this $7.5 million gig. Big time.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-26-2013 at 02:58 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh how jaded we have become.

But more or less, it's a fair assessment of his time here IMO.

But. I am willing to shower him with praise and play along, none the less. It's what compadres do right?

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He's not "the best player we ever had".

He was done before he got here. He couldn't move well, from the minute he arrived.

Digression about the perils of daring to say anything about St Torsten that didn't/doesn't confirm his wonderfulness: I posted that he couldn't run after the first game he played against Dallas in 2011, and got blitzed for doing so. Also got blitzed for suggesting that his note to RPB, I can't remember exactly what form that took, at the end of last season, about how committed he was to Toronto, may have been less than it seemed.

So before 18 of you give me stick for posting this, my view of the guy is, he was a professional who did his job and never mailed it in. But he didn't have it any more, and he knew it, and instead of packing it in, he stuck it out for the money. Same as you or I would do. But he's not, never was, St Torsten of TFC.

He did show flashes of his former self, especially in the game at the Rogers Centre last year.

The acquisition of Torsten never made football sense. It was a business decision to try to stanch the decline in SSHs, which didn't work.

He is a God in Bremen and will resurface there I am sure.

He owes Klinsmann for helping him to get this $7.5 million gig. Big time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Oh how jaded we have become.
    Hey. I've been jaded from the get go!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    he stuck it out for the money.
    He received more lucrative deals elsewhere. Anonymity was his main motivation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Hmm, you heard it here first, 3pm from Glenchen in Monday's news thread....
    to be fair, the story broke on friday on twitter by duane rollins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if Torsten retires does that mean TFC can still buy out another player?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    TFC is expected to announce retirement of Torsten Frings tomorrow morning

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...r-announcement
    It may be true, but Duane is just guessing. You shouldn't quote him as a source for anything. Especially not start a thread based on his stuff. He's been wrong so many times before.

However, Kristian Jack is saying the same thing. When a reputable journalist says something, you listen.

The announcement, whatever it is, will be streamed live at 11 AM:

http://www.torontofc.ca/live
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...of_season.html

While speculation has been that TFC will buy out the contract of Frings, whose injury-plagued 2012 season was abruptly ended by hip surgery, retirement is also a strong possibility after the midfielder left training camp in Florida earlier this month.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so even when a reporter gets something right, he's just guessing? the fact is, like it or not, duane rollins was the first to come forward and say that an announcement was forthcoming, and low and behold, that is exactly what is happening.

reputable or not, Rollins was the one who broke the story.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    so even when a reporter gets something right, he's just guessing? the fact is, like it or not, duane rollins was the first to come forward and say that an announcement was forthcoming, and low and behold, that is exactly what is happening.

He didn't break anything. People have been speculating for months.

Part of the reason that Duane is unreliable is that he jumps to posting something before all the facts are in.

As Girard noted, we don't know yet if it will be a buy out or a retirement. Girard is better connected than Duane and he doesn't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now i remember why i should just stay in the TM thread and find somewhere else to talk about TFC.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now i remember why i should just stay in the TM thread and find somewhere else to talk about TFC.
    http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/f...ronto-fc.1045/

It's grown into a fair-sized community.

Their discussion on this same topic:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/t...-gone.1983140/

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings.
    Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings, Torsten Fri-ngs.
    Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings, Torsten Frings.
    Torsten Frings! Tor-sten Frings.
    RPB has Obama'ed me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    It will be disappointing for me if the Major Announcement is only Frings leaving.

The optimistic part of me is hoping they have at least 1 or 2 players to announce. The rational part of me expects to be disappointed.
    I think out of respect for Frings they shouldn't announce any signings tomorrow. Leave that for later in the week (and let's pray that they actually are coming)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad to see such a such a classy player leave. I wish him all the best and I hope he enjoyed his time here.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    First post the announcement and then have a press conference to confirm your posting?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    I was looking for a good picture of "Boxer" from the book "Animal Farm" to post in memory of Torsten Frings's career, but I found this instead:

love it.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    First post the announcement and then have a press conference to confirm your posting?
    post announcement for his retirement and press conference for signings??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wouldn't expect any signings to be confirmed at this press conference, but hopefully KP will be able to shed more light when he's asked the inevitable questions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    Yeah that is what I thought. Kinda weird to book a major announcement press conference and then post an announcement about it before the press conference. Hopefully there is something more to it than just rehashing what was said in the announcement on the TFC site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Yeah that is what I thought. Kinda weird to book a major announcement press conference and then post an announcement about it before the press conference. Hopefully there is something more to it than just rehashing what was said in the announcement on the TFC site.
    I was thinking the same thing. There has to be more news that Frings retiring, maybe 3 or 4 new signings

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember watching him lift the Voyageurs Cup and thinking, "You know, that's going to be the last trophy he ever lifts as a player." He was smiling that day like he'd won the Bundislega.

Like all the best older middies, it was his ability to be in the right place that stood out most.

Good to see that he leaves on good terms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Luke Wileman twitter yesterday there will be no signing announcements today.

https://twitter.com/LukeWileman/stat...19804602269696

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are saying a Major Announcement, then it can't be for just Frings retirement. I'm thinking they need some good news to offset the seemingly endless litany of woes this club is experiencing and new signings would help. But there is no way we get Lampard - we still don't have enough of the right pieces to support his talents. I just see him becoming increasingly disillusioned and asking for a trade within two years. I'm hoping we sign two players using the young DP rule instead.

Edit: If it really is just a retirement announcement, my opinion of KP will continue to sink. At this point, my optimism has faded to fatalism - there is nobody else on the horizon willing to touch this organization, so we just have to live with the status quo for the next 3 years before MLS finally pulls the plug on this franchise.
    Last edited by Initial B; 02-26-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, Mr Frings!

Stop with the dick measuring contests.

The Voyageurs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be truly awesome if people held the media to the same level of criticism Duane receives for being a volunteer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. There has to be more news that Frings retiring, maybe 3 or 4 new signings
    The press release does refer to "Watch Frings announcement live at 11 a.m. ET" so perhaps all that there is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    If they are saying a Major Announcement, then it can't be for just Frings retirement. I'm thinking they need some good news to offset the seemingly endless litany of woes this club is experiencing and new signings would help. But there is no way we get Lampard - we still don't have enough of the right pieces to support his talents. I just see him becoming increasingly disillusioned and asking for a trade within two years. I'm hoping we sign two players using the young DP rule instead.

Edit: If it really is just a retirement announcement, my opinion of KP will continue to sink. At this point, my optimism has faded to fatalism - there is nobody else on the horizon willing to touch this organization, so we just have to live with the status quo for the next 3 years before MLS finally pulls the plug on this franchise.
    There should be some signing announcements soon, I agree. FFS, we have four days until our first match! But Payne should not announce those this morning at this press conference. This should be about Frings only. My respect for Payne will actually go down if it is anything more than a retirement announcement. But it looks like they are doing this right, which is good to see. Maybe things are changing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socceronly View Post
    I think it would be truly awesome if people held the media to the same level of criticism Duane receives for being a volunteer.

they are - i don't know how many times i read complaints about our media and specific reporters "covering" TFC