0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm more optimistic. Obviously we still have a very short roster, and I dont' think they're out there looking for more depth. On top of that, the players we'd expect to contribute down the road are starting to round in, Bekker looked decent, Welshman looked ok, T. Morgan has looked decent all camp.

We just need the final three or four puzzle pieces to be reasonably competitive, at least. Who expects Jeremy Hall and Terry Dunfield to be our starting central mid duo...
    I too am optimistic - These first 1 1/2 games have been very hard to watch but nobody should have a cow over these pre-season games, nor the first 8-10 regular season games. Payne's been here a couple of months and Nelson a couple of weeks... It makes sense they are going to play Hall, Dunfield, Weedman, Bennett etc to get their full measure - hopefully the result is that several go packing and Dunfield gets some quality bench time. Farting around in practice isn't going to give the staff the full picture of a player - better to measure twice and cut once by giving them playing time... They got the measure of Mariner pretty quick - look what happened to him... I have faith that they can also evaluate the talent on the field. Realistically we need to wait to May or June to see a settled roster, how the team gels and how fast Nelson can adjust to coaching life... In the mean time - keep the faith! Anselmi is gone, Mariner is gone, we have an experienced president with autonomy and season 1 pricing... A lot of good things have happened in the past 3 months - more than anybody hoped for or predicted!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
    I too am optimistic - These first 1 1/2 games have been very hard to watch but nobody should have a cow over these pre-season games, nor the first 8-10 regular season games. Payne's been here a couple of months and Nelson a couple of weeks... It makes sense they are going to play Hall, Dunfield, Weedman, Bennett etc to get their full measure - hopefully the result is that several go packing and Dunfield gets some quality bench time. Farting around in practice isn't going to give the staff the full picture of a player - better to measure twice and cut once by giving them playing time... They got the measure of Mariner pretty quick - look what happened to him... I have faith that they can also evaluate the talent on the field. Realistically we need to wait to May or June to see a settled roster, how the team gels and how fast Nelson can adjust to coaching life... In the mean time - keep the faith! Anselmi is gone, Mariner is gone, we have an experienced president with autonomy and season 1 pricing... A lot of good things have happened in the past 3 months - more than anybody hoped for or predicted!
    Wow -- this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Not true. They traded Johnson for Kyle Bekker, and Andrew Farrell for Welshman and a whackload of Allocation.
    But in any case, a Welshman vs Johnson comparison after a couple of preseason games is ridiculous. There were many games last year when Johnson looked like the worst striker the world has ever seen.
    I agree with this, besides Johnson whined an awful lot. my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Connon_1991 View Post

This is so out of line it boggles the mind.

The last thing out of all the criticisms that are laid at his feet is out of shape, unprofessional, or someone who is not 100% fit for action at all times.

This man is a workhorse and this is slapping him in the face for what he does best.

Not to mention that in this picture the man is showing some pride and fight... who can argue with that?!?
    Last edited by Alonso; 02-17-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post

The last thing out of all the criticisms that are laid at his feet is out of shape, unprofessional, or someone who is not 100% fit for action at all times.

This man is a workhorse and this is slapping him in the face for what he does best.

Not to mention that in this picture the man is showing some pride and fight... who can argue with that?!?
    well said.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really do not understand - he is emulating his mentor - he is giving the "Mariner salute" that is reserved for all Toronto FC fans - wtf is wrong with that - jeez - he may be known for his 6 foot passes backwards - but man - way out of line....

ps I like the game of boggle too...
    Last edited by tiberius; 02-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really do not understand - he is emulating his mentor - he is giving the "Mariner salute" that is reserved for all Toronto FC fans - wtf is wrong with that - jeez - he may be known for his 6 foot passes backwards - but man - way out of line....

ps I like the game of boggle too...
    Nah, Dunfield is a hard-working team guy; he's not a great footballer but he gives his all and his preseason has been pretty decent compared to some of the team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, Dunfield is a hard-working team guy; he's not a great footballer but he gives his all and his preseason has been pretty decent compared to some of the team.
    I don't mind the workin' man, but he is not the second coming... he works hard, is probably overpaid, but is a level up from Hardin and Gargan - but that is it... hard to get worked up about...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind the workin' man, but he is not the second coming... he works hard, is probably overpaid, but is a level up from Hardin and Gargan - but that is it... hard to get worked up about...
    Meanwhile, Ryan Johnson had a hat-trick for Portland today and Avila scored the winner for Chivas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a little bit of Banter clearly you took it the wrong way... He may be a "workhorse"... But he isn't a football player simple as that. The quicker TFC get rid of him the better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a little bit of Banter clearly you took it the wrong way... He may be a "workhorse"... But he isn't a football player simple as that. The quicker TFC get rid of him the better.
    In football terms, and certainly in terms of TFC, Dunfield is hardly the world's worst footballer! We've had MANY players worse than him, by far! And we've currently got several players in the squad worse than him too! I can see why Dunfield isn't a "fan favourite" as he isn't a flair type of player at all, but he doesn't deserve to be the number one hated player in the squad right now! There were times last season when Dunfield looked much better than Frings, and I don't see Frings getting hounded on this forum! Dunfield is cheap, a domestic, and a very useful squad player! If he can be used to give people like Cesar and Frings a rest this season, then he's going to be extremely useful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on guys you must be having a laugh, defending Dumbfield! One poster said he is a hard working but not a great footballer some one else compares him to Frings .Are our standards so low that a player who is at best an average USL player is worth a spot on this team. He struts around the field taking all the free kicks ,pens ,throw ins like he is David Beckham. Vancouver knew how good he was and offloaded him , he played at the lower leagues in England ,Frings in contrast may be getting older but he played at the top level and played for one of the best national teams in the world. Terry was Mariners boy and his days are numbered , it does not matter that he is Canadian , he does not matter how much he costs or he plays with passion ( all that is smoke and mirrors to cover his lack of talent) if this franchise is happy with a player who is this technically poor we are doomed. Time that this type of bang average player is shown the door and we recruit players that can play more than a 6 yard pass backward. And it time the fans DEMANDED more quality and STOP drinking the Kool aid that the management feed them. I hope indeed that Ryan Nielsen shows Dumfield the door or at the very least parks his arse on the bench for the season. Dumbfield is no way good enough, hard working doesn't cut it plenty players are hard working . If the fans don't demand a raising of standards we will forever be average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on guys you must be having a laugh, defending Dumbfield! One poster said he is a hard working but not a great footballer some one else compares him to Frings .Are our standards so low that a player who is at best an average USL player is worth a spot on this team. He struts around the field taking all the free kicks ,pens ,throw ins like he is David Beckham. Vancouver knew how good he was and offloaded him , he played at the lower leagues in England ,Frings in contrast may be getting older but he played at the top level and played for one of the best national teams in the world. Terry was Mariners boy and his days are numbered , it does not matter that he is Canadian , he does not matter how much he costs or he plays with passion ( all that is smoke and mirrors to cover his lack of talent) if this franchise is happy with a player who is this technically poor we are doomed. Time that this type of bang average player is shown the door and we recruit players that can play more than a 6 yard pass backward. And it time the fans DEMANDED more quality and STOP drinking the Kool aid that the management feed them. I hope indeed that Ryan Nielsen shows Dumfield the door or at the very least parks his arse on the bench for the season. Dumbfield is no way good enough, hard working doesn't cut it plenty players are hard working . If the fans don't demand a raising of standards we will forever be average.
    This debate is really old and stale. Even most of his detractors here like him as a person, but the vast majority of posters here know he's not a starter.

We're long past rants about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This debate is really old and stale. Even most of his detractors here like him as a person, but the vast majority of posters here know he's not a starter.

Thanks for that good sir..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield seems like a decent guy and I wouldn't take anyone’s comments on his play as an indictment of his character, but let me say this:

His presence on the field and style of play bothers me to no end. It’s like the embodiment of everything that’s wrong with player development and sporting culture in this country wrapped up in one package. High energy, low skill, low football IQ. Misplaced cheering for the “underdog”, although he’s not exactly a fan favorite at BMO. Also hard to think of him without the Paul Mariner association.

Anyway… he’s decent enough for bench depth, but that’s as far as it should go. Seems like everyone is on the same page in that regard.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Dunfield seems like a decent guy and I wouldn't take anyone’s comments on his play as an indictment of his character, but let me say this:

His presence on the field and style of play bothers me to no end. It’s like the embodiment of everything that’s wrong with player development and sporting culture in this country wrapped up in one package. High energy, low skill, low football IQ. Misplaced cheering for the “underdog”, although he’s not exactly a fan favorite at BMO. Also hard to think of him without the Paul Mariner association.

Anyway… he’s decent enough for bench depth, but that’s as far as it should go. Seems like everyone is on the same page in that regard.
    That's just it. Dunfield is a depth, typical NA plugger type of player. Unfortunate necessarily need in a league like MLS
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a lot of respect for Terry and the fact is TFC management has not been able to bring in a player that would would replace him in the lineup, thus improve this club. So until that happens he will be here.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly agreed!

Dunfield makes 86k! That's not even starter money! But at 86k hes absolutely FINE as a depth player! If he starts 10 games, and comes on as sub to rest players like Frings and Cesar, then that's great! I'm not arguing that Dunfield is a great player, or comparable to Beckham, or anybody else. He is what he is - a depth level player, both wage wise and talent wise, and he's fine for that.

Compare him to players like Chad Barrett, who was earning over 200k, and he's only a depth player. Dunfield is actually good value as a depth player, if you put it in context.

Dunfield can stay at the club, he's decent value depth, and Canadian. If you put it that way, I actually kinda like the guy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 things to say regarding this:

1) He is exactly what you need on the bench in MLS. If you followed the league you'd realize every team has their version of him. A sub $100K player who can fill a role.

2) He is one of only two players who showed improvement last season with Morgan being the other. Does that mean he's amazing? No, but it'd be hard to deny he got better in the past two seasons in MLS.

3) He was on Man City, not that long ago either. Yeah, he boozed, banged, and coked his way out of England but he had to have had something to be there in the first place. Not too many other domestic players on our roster or on many other MLS rosters either can boast to being in the EPL. Even as a bench or reserve option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    exactly agreed!

Dunfield makes 86k! That's not even starter money! But at 86k hes absolutely FINE as a depth player! If he starts 10 games, and comes on as sub to rest players like Frings and Cesar, then that's great! I'm not arguing that Dunfield is a great player, or comparable to Beckham, or anybody else. He is what he is - a depth level player, both wage wise and talent wise, and he's fine for that.

Compare him to players like Chad Barrett, who was earning over 200k, and he's only a depth player. Dunfield is actually good value as a depth player, if you put it in context.

Dunfield can stay at the club, he's decent value depth, and Canadian. If you put it that way, I actually kinda like the guy!

Exactly, he's good value for what he brings to this club.

I just wish people would let it rest with Dunfield. I hate the scape goating that some people like to do with our players. Dunfield is the least of our problems, and he can be a good part of our team off the bench. Don't forget that the man has also scored some very big goals for us when they were sorely needed. At $86,000 the man is worth every penny.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    In football terms, and certainly in terms of TFC, Dunfield is hardly the world's worst footballer! We've had MANY players worse than him, by far! And we've currently got several players in the squad worse than him too! I can see why Dunfield isn't a "fan favourite" as he isn't a flair type of player at all, but he doesn't deserve to be the number one hated player in the squad right now! There were times last season when Dunfield looked much better than Frings, and I don't see Frings getting hounded on this forum! Dunfield is cheap, a domestic, and a very useful squad player! If he can be used to give people like Cesar and Frings a rest this season, then he's going to be extremely useful!
    you're right of course, I too am not over the roof with him, but one should never confuse talent with heart, has anyone ever seen Dunfield give up? not likely. I just wish he wasn't given carte blanche on free kicks or set pieces. As you should know going all out simply isn't good enough,..patience and decision making is a must. AND I don't understand this Connon's threads , seems to be always condescending and "the critic" in his own mind, (taking a sh*t?), Apparently he's the ultimate judge of a "FOOTBALLER"...a laugh since Dunfields on the pitch and he isn't! Makes one hope players never read this stuff.....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry has no business starting in this league. Talent-wise, he's a joke -- but at least not an expensive one. Cann made $126K or so and we deemed him surplus for what he brought to the table versus what he was costing us.