Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back line was organized for the most part, aside from the mistake on the goal. Really liked the Boss-O'Dea pairing. Boss' athleticism potentially makes him a better fit than Califf. Good to see TFC created some chances, although they should've scored too.

Cabrera looked decent on the wing, but Lambe was poor. Payne needs to bring in another winger, a forward, and a box-to-box midfielder. Overall a good start to preseason. Some holes on the roster but a solid foundation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I watched highlights from the Crew's pre-season game vs. Chicago. They look decent. It's not going to be easy today.

LOL RE the Morgan comment. In this league, he's a decent LB, especially considering his age & salary. Puts in some good crosses as well, both left-footed, and a few with the right when he cuts in. 5 assists in 2012, 2 in 2011. (Plus perhaps a few more in VC/CCL? Also had at least 1 assist for the CMNT.) That's better than the much more expensive Ecks BTW (total 2 assists over 2 years). Yes Ecks played some CB, but much higher total minutes than Ashton, so he probably still had higher minutes at the wingback position. When Ecks comes forward into the attack, even from CB occasionally last year, it never amounts to anything. He barrels forward at full speed with the ball, but doesn't seem to have a plan (or the accuracy) to do something useful with the ball once he's up there. Also gets beat & out of position frequently in defense.

Yet even Ecks is a very decent wingback in MLS -- in that case it's his salary that's the problem. I just find it odd that Morgan in particular gets called out here. I think the whole back line needs serious coaching to address some serious weaknesses we've seen, despite these guys' natural talents & athletic ability. Hopefully Nelsen can provide that guidance.
    heads up for Ashton,..remember he was virtually ignored by baggy shorts. which slowed his development immensely. If any cares to watch him closely, he has the heart and stamina of the always revered Barrett (here anyway) lol, and his way quicker and has the football intelligence needed.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Morgan could do with an ex-pro working with him week in week out, showing him the defensive ropes. You know, somebody like Ryan Nelson!
    exactly...people are not realizing the potential for defensive learning we now have at our disposal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems some people were happy with todays game.The new players that I thought played well were Gabe and Welshman.I expected alittle more from some of the others trying to make the team.Disappointed we gave up another goal off a corner.I have never seen so many goals given up by corners as this team gives up.Thought Cabarera got dispossessed alot.We need to bring in some attacking players and goalscorers if we are going to compete.I thought they said last week they had a signing to be out in a few days and some more later.It has been a week and no mention of anyone.Kansas and Montreal both looked better then then Toronto and Columbus.Hope our next game is better and we can find the back of the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    I agree, but that's why I'd take exception with the comment he's an athlete not a football player. I can tell you football is in his DNA. He's most definitely a footballer, just not a good defender - yet. He has lots of tools, if he gets that area of his game sorted he will be solid.
    Hes a left back right? being a left back the most important thing to do is Defend... Yet i didn't see him put one tackle in at all today actually i've never seen him defend well. Second he will run to the by line and put a ball across the boxeither A doesn't get over the first defender or B goes right to the keeper. Teams that come and play TFC know the weak link is down our left side of the pitch. He has no football brain and at 21 22 you cant teach someone that.
    Last edited by Connon_1991; 02-09-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Connon_1991 View Post
    Hes a left back right? being a left back the most important thing to do is Defend... Yet i didn't see him put one tackle in at all today actually i've never seen him defend well. Second he will run to the by line and put a ball across the boxeither A doesn't get over the first defender or B goes right to the keeper. Teams that come and play TFC know the weak link is down our left side of the pitch. He has no football brain and at 21 22 you cant teach someone that.
    Then you simply didn't watch the game. I watched him get multiple solid tackles in today. He also had one low cross directly to Silva for a good shot on net and I believe he was also the supplier on Silva's second chance at the back post.

Your criticism is way over the line. Does his defensive game need work? Sure. But he's already a decent 1v1 defender, his awareness and positional sense are fairly good (not dumbstruck like Aceval and not running around like a headless chicken like Eckersley sometimes does), and both of those things will improve over time; he only turned 22 today. As for his crossing, all he needs is consistency, and it'll be the easiest of the things he needs to improve. When he gets it right his crosses can be undefendable. 2 assists in 2011 and 5 in 2012 so he's already improving.

It's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about. Morgan's already a perfectly viable starting MLS LB and in 3-4 years he'll be one of the league's best.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your argument is invalid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?? Don't know wat ur watching. Maybe ur trying hard not to see it, even the commentators complimented his defensive game against oduro, which is no easy task.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this Nicolas Cabrera?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHBL...ature=youtu.be

full game for those who missed it
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post-game interview with Nelsen: http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/0...ebruary-9-2013

Early days yet, but I'm thinking, I kinda like this guy. I get the impression he's telling the players exactly what they need to know face-to-face, but he's not going to publicly throw them under the bus.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Wow- another lose. Welcome to a new year, where the faithful hang on with hope. Jesus. It's ground hog day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    Wow- another lose. Welcome to a new year, where the faithful hang on with hope. Jesus. It's ground hog day.
    hold off the panic button until the season opener jeez. it's pre season ffs
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woo hoo, quote of the day, thanks for coming out!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At some point winning more games than we lose has to become the bench mark or has the standard been set so low that being competitive with Crew in pre-season is now enough. I like groupon deals just as much as the next guy...but in reality we've changed one bad coach for one whose never coached a game and I don't think the talent level is any better than last year.

You know you're f@cked when people talk about Morgan being a decent player in 3-4 years. Ground Hog day. That's all I'm saying. The same nieve hope leads to the predictable feelings of betrayal after week 4. And I have no confidence that our number two coached NCAA div 3 for most of his life. FFS>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Klinsmann View Post
    Is this Nicolas Cabrera?
    Actually Taylor Morgan, after collecting Frings' long ball, cutting inside Gehrig and firing straight into the keeper's chest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How's Frei?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At some point winning more games than we lose has to become the bench mark or has the standard been set so low that being competitive with Crew in pre-season is now enough. I like groupon deals just as much as the next guy...but in reality we've changed one bad coach for one whose never coached a game and I don't think the talent level is any better than last year.

You know you're f@cked when people talk about Morgan being a decent player in 3-4 years. Ground Hog day. That's all I'm saying. The same nieve hope leads to the predictable feelings of betrayal after week 4. And I have no confidence that our number two coached NCAA div 3 for most of his life. FFS>
    Clearly you're missing the point of playing pre season games.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    How's Frei?
    Last I heard, his nose is swollen and bent out of shape, and they weren't sure of his exact condition yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At some point winning more games than we lose has to become the bench mark
    Yeah. That point is when the actual season starts. Funny how that works, eh?

You know you're f@cked when people talk about Morgan being a decent player in 3-4 years.
    He's already a decent player, champ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Then you simply didn't watch the game. I watched him get multiple solid tackles in today. He also had one low cross directly to Silva for a good shot on net and I believe he was also the supplier on Silva's second chance at the back post.

Your criticism is way over the line. Does his defensive game need work? Sure. But he's already a decent 1v1 defender, his awareness and positional sense are fairly good (not dumbstruck like Aceval and not running around like a headless chicken like Eckersley sometimes does), and both of those things will improve over time; he only turned 22 today. As for his crossing, all he needs is consistency, and it'll be the easiest of the things he needs to improve. When he gets it right his crosses can be undefendable. 2 assists in 2011 and 5 in 2012 so he's already improving.

It's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about. Morgan's already a perfectly viable starting MLS LB and in 3-4 years he'll be one of the league's best.
    Tell me this how many goals did we lose last year from Morgans side. You all think he's gods gift because he's Canadian and he came from there academy. I love how you said Ecks runs around like a headless chicken he's out best defender we have, and he can put a tackle in. Teams come to Toronto and don't want to play down his side. All that morgan has going for him is his Speed and Fitness. His touch needs work on and playing a FIVE YARD PASS BACKWARDS all the time isn't a positive.

I can almost guarantee i have played football at a higher level than you and know more about the game than you do. A wing backs main job is to defend morgan doesn't do it well, and his Final ball is terrible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me this how many goals did we lose last year from Morgans side. You all think he's gods gift because he's Canadian and he came from there academy. I love how you said Ecks runs around like a headless chicken he's out best defender we have, and he can put a tackle in. Teams come to Toronto and don't want to play down his side. All that morgan has going for him is his Speed and Fitness. His touch needs work on and playing a FIVE YARD PASS BACKWARDS all the time isn't a positive.

I can almost guarantee i have played football at a higher level than you and know more about the game than you do. A wing backs main job is to defend morgan doesn't do it well, and his Final ball is terrible.
    Somehow Morgan managed to get 5 assists from fullback position on a terrible TFC team. Must be really flukey, eh.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Somehow Morgan managed to get 5 assists from fullback position on a terrible TFC team. Must be really flukey, eh.
    how many goals against came from his side?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you've spoken with him then, no football brain?...what ditch did you crawl out of?...here we go , nothing positive to say but shitting on a young prospect who admittingly has a lot to learn but in his relatively short career has stymied some of the best MLS has to offer , simultaneously been an offensive threat. as k Koevermanns about Morgan . We haven't had a target for him all year with the ridiculous coaching from the past year and injuries. I remember him attacking down the wing sending a ball directly to Koev's head , bang a goal. After koevs was gone he had shit as a target. AND i can't tell you the times he has lead the attackpassed off and ran back to regain his positioning or chase down a ball someone else has given up. He's my type of player , local and all heart. go back and follow Mariner with your negative BS. BTW he came directly from high school that had to fight to even play soccer, and basically ineffectual coaching. Not bad progress and heart for young athlete. Who was going to teach him the Academy , ya right!..Ryan Nelson will be a revelation to his always willingness to improve. Objectively criticize go ahead but don't shit on our youthful prospects, esp before the season's even started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    you've spoken with him then, no football brain?...what ditch did you crawl out of?...here we go , nothing positive to say but shitting on a young prospect who admittingly has a lot to learn but in his relatively short career has stymied some of the best MLS has to offer , simultaneously been an offensive threat. as k Koevermanns about Morgan . We haven't had a target for him all year with the ridiculous coaching from the past year and injuries. I remember him attacking down the wing sending a ball directly to Koev's head , bang a goal. After koevs was gone he had shit as a target. AND i can't tell you the times he has lead the attackpassed off and ran back to regain his positioning or chase down a ball someone else has given up. He's my type of player , local and all heart. go back and follow Mariner with your negative BS. BTW he came directly from high school that had to fight to even play soccer, and basically ineffectual coaching. Not bad progress and heart for young athlete. Who was going to teach him the Academy , ya right!..Ryan Nelson will be a revelation to his always willingness to improve. Objectively criticize go ahead but don't shit on our youthful prospects, esp before the season's even started.
    A youthful prospect your having a laugh.. last i checked this is my opinion and MY opinion is we need a new left back and Morgan can sit on the bench because as of RIGHT NOW he is not ready for first team football. If you think he is you need to stop drinking the cool-aid. If you really think he's good enough to be our starter week in and week out then i don't what to say. He is our weak link and when the season starts and were losing goals from that side ill come back on here and tell you lot that i was right.
    Last edited by Connon_1991; 02-10-2013 at 01:50 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to find stats about this, but I sure as hell can remember lots of goals from Ecks' side as well, when he was playing fullback. Not to say Ecks is an awful defender, but he's a problem at his salary, which Ashton is not. Nobody is saying Morgan is perfect, so stop playing that straw man argument. But to single Morgan out, after all the messed-up play by the whole team last year, and after today's game, is straight-up ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are all aware of how good Ecks can really play. When he first came here on Loan and was playing for a contract from Burnley he was class.Maybe now he's just picking up his pay cheque. Morgan isn't good enough to be starting week in and week out and if he does we will be struggling down that side of the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We conceded goals from fucking everywhere last year. Show me the stats which prove we let in more goals from the left when Morgan was playing. Otherwise I can't help but chalk this up to confirmation bias.

I don't care that Morgan is Canadian or an academy player, I care about his game. And I've seen enough of his game to know he's good enough to start for us, and will only improve if he keeps getting minutes.

I'd rather have Morgan pass backwards all day than boot long balls up the field to nobody, which Eckersley did multiple times today... but since you didn't see any of the multiple tackles Morgan put in today I'm guessing you missed Ecks' punts to the Columbus back line as well. If Morgan's final ball is so terrible you must think Eckersley is useless going forward given that Morgan has had more assists than him the last two years (making special note of the 0 assists in 23 games Eckersley tallied in 2011 - all played at RB). And yes, Eckersley can put a tackle in, but he can also be pretty reckless. He's been among our leaders in fouls committed the past two years, both years over a foul a game on average (Morgan remaining under a foul a game both years).

Eckersley sometimes tries to do too much. When things get hectic in the back he can be caught chasing/watching the ball, trying to make that tackle or intercept that pass, but losing his man in the process. Off the top of my head, here he is completely forgetting about his man the instant Henry touches the ball in the box. Now please don't find a similar clip of Morgan because I'm well aware they exist. My point is Morgan's a capable player and to suggest otherwise is unfair... and to suggest he's garbage, like you are, is flat out ridiculous.

Also, I want to be clear: I like Eckersley. A lot, in fact. He's our best 1v1 defender, his work rate is phenomenal, his passing is good enough and he gets involved in the attack well (though his crossing needs a ton of work). The only reason it looks like I'm picking on him is because you're comparing Morgan to him as if Eckersley does no wrong and Morgan does no right. They both have strengths and weaknesses. You're ignoring both Eckersley's weaknesses and Morgan's strengths.

And for the record, I couldn't possibly give less of a shit about how much football you've played or how much you claim to know about the game. It's irrelevant to me and only serves to make you look arrogant by bringing it up. I'm confident in my ability to understand the game and accurately assess the players who play it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    We conceded goals from fucking everywhere last year. Show me the stats which prove we let in more goals from the left when Morgan was playing. Otherwise I can't help but chalk this up to confirmation bias.

I don't care that Morgan is Canadian or an academy player, I care about his game. And I've seen enough of his game to know he's good enough to start for us, and will only improve if he keeps getting minutes.

I'd rather have Morgan pass backwards all day than boot long balls up the field to nobody, which Eckersley did multiple times today... but since you didn't see any of the multiple tackles Morgan put in today I'm guessing you missed Ecks' punts to the Columbus back line as well. If Morgan's final ball is so terrible you must think Eckersley is useless going forward given that Morgan has had more assists than him the last two years (making special note of the 0 assists in 23 games Eckersley tallied in 2011 - all played at RB). And yes, Eckersley can put a tackle in, but he can also be pretty reckless. He's been among our leaders in fouls committed the past two years, both years over a foul a game on average (Morgan remaining under a foul a game both years).

Eckersley sometimes tries to do too much. When things get hectic in the back he can be caught chasing/watching the ball, trying to make that tackle or intercept that pass, but losing his man in the process. Off the top of my head, here he is completely forgetting about his man the instant Henry touches the ball in the box. Now please don't find a similar clip of Morgan because I'm well aware they exist. My point is Morgan's a capable player and to suggest otherwise is unfair... and to suggest he's garbage, like you are, is flat out ridiculous.

Also, I want to be clear: I like Eckersley. A lot, in fact. He's our best 1v1 defender, his work rate is phenomenal, his passing is good enough and he gets involved in the attack well (though his crossing needs a ton of work). The only reason it looks like I'm picking on him is because you're comparing Morgan to him as if Eckersley does no wrong and Morgan does no right. They both have strengths and weaknesses. You're ignoring both Eckersley's weaknesses and Morgan's strengths.

And for the record, I couldn't possibly give less of a shit about how much football you've played or how much you claim to know about the game. It's irrelevant to me and only serves to make you look arrogant by bringing it up. I'm confident in my ability to understand the game and accurately assess the players who play it.
    I brought up how much i played and know about football because you said i don't know what i'm talking about you muppet. Please tell me right now what Morgans Strengths are. I Cant be arsed reading your novel the only thing that caught my attention is the end and the part where you said Morgans strengths.... So lets hear them then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought for a week now that I was gonna miss the first preseason game, got to watch it (couldnt believe it was a 1pm start) I know its a pre season game and not a good one by any means but I thought dunfield was spot on, I was waiting a long time to see bossamounde in our back line and I am exremely happy we got him, welshman was a great surprise to me, I had such a hard time adjusting to the single camera pan, but I was pleasantly gifted to see TFC attacking, pushing forward and playing with a purpose. osorio was a real positive in the game, cabrera will need the next few practice games to convince nelson and payne he has more than he showed today. my vote on morgan and henry is theres nothing to mention because theyre that solid. these guys are footballers, they are young, they do play utility roles sometimes. I dont knock either of them, and I agree I hope to hell we can sell them overseas someday so we can help instill our academy is the best way to get to the big leagues from MLS.