Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC v Crew, Mickey Mouse Cup, Sat Feb 9 1PM Pre/In/Post Match Thread

We've decided to have a thread for each of these matches, apart from other pre-season play.

Match streamed live at http://www.torontofc.ca/live

Saturday Feb 9, 1PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. I gotta say I hope this tourney gets Orlando eventually "promoted". Pretty sure that's the goal.

Looking forward to seeing the lads in competition.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 weeks till the season starts up again. Amazing to think - especially with SNOWMAGEDDON (DUN, DUN, DUN) going on outside.

Hoping to see something promising out of these pre-season friendlies.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Nice. I gotta say I hope this tourney gets Orlando eventually "promoted". Pretty sure that's the goal.

Looking forward to seeing the lads in competition.
    Watching other MLS teams play in preseason, I'm looking forward to seeing our lads in action!

PS: I think you can put the Japan friendly in your sig
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Watching other MLS teams play in preseason, I'm looking forward to seeing our lads in action!

PS: I think you can put the Japan friendly in your sig

Thanks bud. Will do!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excited for the game. Hopefully we can start on the right foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what time, will there be a way to watch it later. I work afternoons tomorrow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to see what formation Nelson uses. Since our midfield and forward situation is UGLY, I don't expect much in the way of results.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Looking forward to see what formation Nelson uses. Since our midfield and forward situation is UGLY, I don't expect much in the way of results.
    I'll settle for not getting blown out by those columbus wankers. 0-0 or 1-1 suits me just fine.

considering lack of strikers, I expect a 4-2-3-1 of some sorts.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-2-3-1 would be my preferred formation, and with the players we have I'd go with:

Frei
    Eckersley-----Califf--------O'Dea--------Morgan
    Cesar---------Frings
    Lambe--------------Silva--------------Bekker
    Braun

Assuming we don't start any academy players or trialists.

I'm working under the assumption that Bekker could be a good option for a temporary wide attacking midfielder, until Payne makes a signing to fill the hole in left midfield. Opinions? In a 4-2-3-1 I realize his best position is probably DM or in the hole. As of now if we started him at LAM in a 4-2-3-1 he'd start every game. At CAM I'd rather have Silva full-time than having them rotate. If Payne does sign that midfielder though, I'd like to see him at DM rotating often with Cesar and Frings, who'll need the rest. He would probably be able to get minutes every game in that situation, whether he starts or as a sub.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-1-2-1-2, very vertical, totally zonal defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who do we have after Braun?

Really, who are our strikers going forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouderwien View Post
    Who do we have after Braun?

Really, who are our strikers going forward.
    For this game? Weedman, Welshman, Bennett, Taylor Morgan

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Formations? Is there an expected starting line up? Back four is set and most of midfield. 4-5-1 most likely?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need a left back... Morgan is an athlete not a football player. Hopefully Dunfield doesn't see much of the pitch this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to those Brazilian brothers who had been training with TFC?
    They do not show up on the player's list put out by the club a few days ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe not good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Connon_1991 View Post
    we need a left back... Morgan is an athlete not a football player. Hopefully Dunfield doesn't see much of the pitch this year
    This is the first criticism I've seen for Morgan. He's a great left back and a bright spot on our team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched highlights from the Crew's pre-season game vs. Chicago. They look decent. It's not going to be easy today.

LOL RE the Morgan comment. In this league, he's a decent LB, especially considering his age & salary. Puts in some good crosses as well, both left-footed, and a few with the right when he cuts in. 5 assists in 2012, 2 in 2011. (Plus perhaps a few more in VC/CCL? Also had at least 1 assist for the CMNT.) That's better than the much more expensive Ecks BTW (total 2 assists over 2 years). Yes Ecks played some CB, but much higher total minutes than Ashton, so he probably still had higher minutes at the wingback position. When Ecks comes forward into the attack, even from CB occasionally last year, it never amounts to anything. He barrels forward at full speed with the ball, but doesn't seem to have a plan (or the accuracy) to do something useful with the ball once he's up there. Also gets beat & out of position frequently in defense.

Yet even Ecks is a very decent wingback in MLS -- in that case it's his salary that's the problem. I just find it odd that Morgan in particular gets called out here. I think the whole back line needs serious coaching to address some serious weaknesses we've seen, despite these guys' natural talents & athletic ability. Hopefully Nelsen can provide that guidance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    This is the first criticism I've seen for Morgan. He's a great left back and a bright spot on our team
    The first? Really? He only really shone because the rest of our defence was even worse. He's got a bright future but no where near the finished article yet.
    Last edited by Island Man; 02-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    The first? Really? He only really shown because the rest of our defence was even worse. He's got a bright future but no where near the finished article yet.
    I agree, but that's why I'd take exception with the comment he's an athlete not a football player. I can tell you football is in his DNA. He's most definitely a footballer, just not a good defender - yet. He has lots of tools, if he gets that area of his game sorted he will be solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning is winning, and winning breeds winning, no matter what the fixture... Go out and WIN lads...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna be stuck at work for this one, keepin myself posted threw twit's and this thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the same spot. Does anyone think there will be a torrent or something of this game folks like us can watch later?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im expecting full swaps of players at half. No flow, just a good at pace run out for as many as have been working in training. Lots of different combos and different formations. Will watch to see some of newer names and Nelsens influence but we have a long way to go to see how and who TFC will play this year. Today will not answer those questions.

OT btw...morgan- he will be sold on to Europe (less likely but maybe henry instead) because those whole advantage of the catchment available to TFC academy goes away if TFC dont prove to academy prospects that a path to Europe does exist through TFC academy. Suttons job includes widening the academy reach and relationships a la the recent LA Academy announcement.
    also, recent interpretations of the HG rule makes it imperitive that TFC train younger players (ie number of training days in the academy) so that later, the player can train other places but TFC still have a HG claim on the player. It is a land rush where TFC have many advantages but execution is as always key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CC: Gruenebaum; Williams, Marshall, Glauber, Wahl; Oudro, Viana, Sanchez, Speas; Higuain, Finley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    I'm in the same spot. Does anyone think there will be a torrent or something of this game folks like us can watch later?
    Most likely it will be youtube like the other preseason games

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to be more of a fitness excersice than anything technical. I don't expect to be able to judge anything about TFC this coming season from this first game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei; Eckersley, Agbossoumonde, O'Dea, Morgan; Lambe, Osorio, Hall, Welshman; Silva, Braun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Connon_1991 View Post

Was improving under Winter, regressed under Mariner.