Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a nice trick but you are also spending $10m a week on a player that isn't getting you points. You also are hoping that both of them don't score.

Thats why I usually favour 5-4-1 or 4-5-1. I spend most of my cash on D and mid while shopping the bargain bin for forwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I understand of the rules you are correct, but you will only see the point total player one. You will need to choose to sub in player 2 before his game starts on Sunday otherwise the substitution window will close and the auto sub will take place at the end of the round.

I have not used the captain switch myself so I am only speculating as to how it would work.

I have just reviewed the rules relating to captain substitutions they state "If your captain plays 0 minutes in the round and no manager substitutions or captain changes have been made, the captain will be changed to the vice-captain."

My earlier post said that if you allowed the auto sub to take place the incoming player would become captain. That appears to be untrue.

also relating to Manual substitutions

"Brand new to the 2013 game, manager substitutions allow you more flexibility to make alterations during a round. After all matches on a single day have finished and before the next matches start, you can:
    • Replace any player who has not played, with one from your bench whose team is yet to play.
    • Change your captain (if he did not play), with a player from your squad whose team is yet to play."

There can be some advantage to not naming any of the bench players as captain or vice captain.

In my scenario I will name the "dummy" (Braun) as captain and say Keane as vice captain both will start the game.

If you allow the auto-sub to take place then Braun will be subbed out and Keane will become the double point player as vice captain. If Keane does not have a good game then you will have the option to name any of the players who have not played as captain by subbing in Player 2. This might be beneficial if you learn that say Higuain (Player 2) may not be starting but will still play on Sunday at the last minute.

The added advantage would be that if Keane had an OK week with 5-6 points he is still on the field and gets those points while you may want to gamble on someone else getting more points. If he stays on the bench and does not get used he gets nothing.

This switcheroo while sounds like it would give you a major advantage by hedging your bets with your captaincy it is really dependent on specific conditions. If you take this week for example you would need to have a Dallas player on your team (Dallas are on the bye week which many people will have) combined with players from either Seattle or Chivas (only teams that play on Sunday). I don't see anyone on either Chivas or Seattle that I would like as my captain. That being said my choice in captaincy lately has not been exactly stellar. Who knows?

How I have used this to my advantage is with the fringe players who are less consistent, or players who have a tough match up for a particular week. I usually name my captains from my starting lineup and use my subs to fill in the gaps with the switcheroo when conditions are right.

I believe you should start your best players and play to the advantages of the particular week. I don't think I would put Keane and Higuain on the bench at the same time. Too much money on the bench. One of them will not get points in this situation, my luck would be that Keane had a good 12 point week and I make him captain while Higuain had a super week of 16 points and stays on the bench negating his points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone used their 2nd wildcard?

if not does anyone plan on using it? looking at my team i like the way it is set out and barring a rash of injuries (at the same time) i can't see me needing to make an overhaul in the next few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't even used my first yet. Maybe when the Gold Cup players are back. But my team has been pretty good too. I can't see needing to make that many changes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any 2013-14 versions of U-Sector or TFC Supporters on Fantasy Premier League yet? Interested in anything TFC or MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post

if not does anyone plan on using it? looking at my team i like the way it is set out and barring a rash of injuries (at the same time) i can't see me needing to make an overhaul in the next few weeks.

I plan on using mine.

More for strategy than anything else... if you can tweak your team to take advantage of the teams playing that week it has paid off for me more than not....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post

Since we have unlimited transfers for the round when using the wildcard, I might try and make some money through multiple transfers with the hot players from that round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgesico View Post
    Since we have unlimited transfers for the round when using the wildcard, I might try and make some money through multiple transfers with the hot players from that round.
    Dude the fact that you are 25th in the entire MLS fantasy league is mind boggling.

You have done well sir, and good luck to you the rest of the way...

It would be great to see one of us finish in the top 10 overall! (Out of 24,000 contestants, that is not an easy task)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost in the Top 200!!!!........in Canada -.-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Alonso for the encouragement. Alas I have not been putting up the numbers as of late, I will have to do much better if a top 10 finish in order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Alonso for the encouragement. Alas I have not been putting up the numbers as of late, I will have to do much better if a top 10 finish in order.

When you are into the finer percentiles of greatness, it all comes down to luck, or insider knowledge.

So hopefully you have one or the other.

:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my situation it was luck with a lot of research. I was reading everything I could find relating to MLS, and watching every game, occasionally twice. MLS Live was my go to for games. Really good service for out of market teams. I have not been able to devote as much time into Fantasy Soccer lately and it really has shown in my team results. At least that is my excuse.

Out of curiosity how many of you out there have multiple teams? I have 4 that I am playing with. One is kind of a novelty team called Red Past Boys that only has players that were once signed to or currently play for TFC. (I did have to cheat once and break my rule for my goaltender, just in case someone checks my transfer history, lol)

Maybe that could an alternate RPB Forum league next year, only past or current TFC players. On second thought it's really sad that that could be a reality come to think of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my situation it was luck with a lot of research. I was reading everything I could find relating to MLS, and watching every game, occasionally twice. MLS Live was my go to for games. Really good service for out of market teams. I have not been able to devote as much time into Fantasy Soccer lately and it really has shown in my team results. At least that is my excuse.

Out of curiosity how many of you out there have multiple teams? I have 4 that I am playing with. One is kind of a novelty team called Red Past Boys that only has players that were once signed to or currently play for TFC. (I did have to cheat once and break my rule for my goaltender, just in case someone checks my transfer history, lol)

Maybe that could an alternate RPB Forum league next year, only past or current TFC players. On second thought it's really sad that that could be a reality come to think of it.
    think the rules state you can only have 1 team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only have 1 team going at the moment, but the former tfc players sounds like a fun twist....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    think the rules state you can only have 1 team?
    It turns out you are right prizby. After reading your post I contacted MLS and relayed my Fantasy Soccer situation in relation to multiple teams. They responded by saying that If I wanted to remain in contention for any prizes I would have to allow my alternate teams to be deleted. So long story short I gave them my team names and they deleted my "for play teams".

I was curious to know how the monitored the use of multiple teams and asked how they monitor Fantasy Soccer.

They responded:

"We spot check accounts and toward the end of the season during the playoffs,
    we would have manually checked all the account and alerted fans. Future
    versions of the game won't allow you to register a second team."

I also asked about the switcharoo/caparoo work around for changing players mid round that was discussed earlier in this forum. Personally I do not like the workaround and would like to see this eliminated. I have used it and benefited from it, but it feels like an unfair advantage to me. Not everyone knows about it or uses it, but if you want to be competitive you almost have no choice.

The response:

"Next season will have several improvements. Parts of the game - like selecting a captain and vice-captain - will get harder and more tactical for players. But other parts like the user experience and some of the scoring will become more initiative and less of a hassle.

We are working on next season's game now so everything is very fluid. As we have more updates to share we'll have post on MLSsoccer.com."

Anyway my account is legit now, and will continue to have fun with my 1 team.

Thanks prizby for the heads up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no problem; wasn't sure about the rule myself...good for you for tackling it head on; would have sucked if they dqed you after the fact