View Poll Results: Did KP do well in the draft?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

194 92.38%
  • No

4 1.90%
  • Meh

12 5.71%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Approve of Payne's first draft for TFC?

Do you think he came off well?

$400-$560k in allocation (estimated)
    Kyle Bekker
    Emery Welshman
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-18-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: updated allocation estimate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we got 20% cap relief like someone had posted in the other thread, than yeah I think we did excellent. Two great young local canadian prospects, and a bunch of cash to pay down other contracts. Sounds like a great deal, and it gives Payne a bit of room to play around before the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say so. Gave a couple of Canadian kids a good home in what was considered to be a weak draft, plus brought in quite a bit the allocation money... Sounds like a pretty successful day for KP.

Now all he has to do is somehow get out of Hassli's contract, then use all that allocation money for a couple of solid discovery signings...and we'll be in decent shape.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yep, no complaints from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was a good day, but I hope there is a plan for that allocation money. We're still exceedingly thin in the midfield - need to get some wide players and I'll feel we're in much better shape. All in all I feel good about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than satisfied.
    Now lets see if TFC can play as well as Payne's team played that draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the numbers are correct, to save 20% of cap space and still get two players he wanted is fantastic.
    Hopefully both players can be useful this year, and the money be allocated smartly...

Still hope Toronto can grab a forward in the supplemental Draft...
    Ashton Bennett (Coastal Carolina) – 5'9 167 Pounds
    Will Bates (Virginia) - 6'0 185 Pounds

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say yes...but hopefully will look even better if we can utilize that allocation money well. Here's hoping...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got Bekker (the guy we had our eyes on), Picked up another Canadian, and 20% lift off cap....Yea, Payne did GOOD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the difference between the Superdraft and Supplemental draft? Are the top players in this one going to be better than the lower players of the Superdraft, or just the leftovers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless what you think would you have had any confidence that Mariner and COCKrane pulling off the trades that Payne did today? I say he did a good job today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exceedingly happy about the draft. Granted, we've usually had okay pick-ups (Edu, Silva, etc), but this year blows them all away, I think. Bekker and Welshmen both seem to be very happy to be in Toronto, and I think that they will both be able to get some solid minutes this year. The allocation money... Wow, just wow. If we can make one or two big signings with them, that would be very nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leftovers...

But still some decent ones according to the MLS Superdraft panel that hosted the event.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner would have called it a day after pick #3.
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really happy with the way things turned out. I originally was really high on Farrel, but after seeing how things turned out, I'm happy with the end result. I've read that we now have about 750k to play with and the possibility of a DP spot if Hassli moves. Lots of potential and a very exciting time around these parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne did VERY well.

Got the players he wanted, and a TON of Allocation $$$

If we cap it off by getting Bennett (who also has Canadian Residency) with the first pick of the Supplemental Draft, it will be even better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I approve of his ability to bring people back to the message boards.
    The bigger pick up might be that some of us care again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where does the $560K estimate for the total allocation received today come from?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Where does the $560K estimate for the total allocation received today come from?

A quote from Payne saying that he has cleared 20% off the cap...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    A quote from Payne saying that he has cleared 20% off the cap...
    OK thanks.

Most 22 year old NCAA kids aren't excited to come to Toronto, which decreases the odds of those picks working out.

But the kids he picked will be thrilled.

Seems smart to me.

Ask in a year though, really. Need to see what he does next. I remember when Dunivant and Marshall got dumped for allocation, then the allocation dollars got wasted.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins is saying on Twitter that there's no way Payne got 560k in allocation and I'm inclined to agree. That seems way too large, don't you think?

"There is no way in hell TFC got $560k in allocation @redpatchboys. He was likely talking about where his cap position is overall, not that he got 20% off today. $560k is an absurdly large allocation figure." - @24thminute

The trade rumour with Colorado getting our #1 pick had a kicker of 100k in allocation. Even if Payne managed to get 100k in allocation with his three trades, that's still only 300k. I don't see why teams would give up in excess of 100k to us if that was the price Colorado agreed to to get the #1 pick in the draft. 560k is massive, I mean shit, I hope it's true, but I doubt it.

Anyways, I'm very pleased with Payne today. Great draft overall. Now he has to prove he can put this allocation to good use and fill out our roster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We shouldn't read too much into exact allocation numbers. Just know that we have flexibility now to add to the roster.

This draft was Exhibit A of why you need to have a MLS-savvy guy at the helm. Payne worked the system to maximize return on assets. Fantastic job.

Can't wait to see who we sign now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting stuff from payne today...he also said we can sign a dp type player with this extra allo,and that he is looking south not east for these players or player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mayyybeeeee MLS secretly matched any allocation that TFC managed to acquire. I mean, we are the new LAG and NYRB after all...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be interesting if one of the 3 people who voted no could bother to explain what they think went wrong...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sure rollins voted no...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins is reading in here it seems...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted meh because there is no real way to tell how the two Canadian boys will do. I temper my expectations when it comes to the mls drafts. Kudos to him for collecting a great deal of allocation money.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin Payne:
    "We actually got the two players we really wanted and we got a bunch of money, so we're pretty pleased about that," Payne said. "We love the fact that they're both from the greater Toronto area. They both grew up cheering for this team, the crest means something to them before they even put the shirt on, and that's important to us."
    Got two players that fills a need in TFC roster. A creative CM who can also play wing in a pinch. A striker with pace to complement slow strikers. Plus a bunch of allocation.
    Love the fact that Kevin Payne is so far true to his word that he's building a team that would be proud to wear the shirt. And who wouldn't be more proud to wear the shirt than a bunch of local lads?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Rollins is saying on Twitter that there's no way Payne got 560k in allocation and I'm inclined to agree. That seems way too large, don't you think?

"There is no way in hell TFC got $560k in allocation @redpatchboys. He was likely talking about where his cap position is overall, not that he got 20% off today. $560k is an absurdly large allocation figure." - @24thminute

The trade rumour with Colorado getting our #1 pick had a kicker of 100k in allocation. Even if Payne managed to get 100k in allocation with his three trades, that's still only 300k. I don't see why teams would give up in excess of 100k to us if that was the price Colorado agreed to to get the #1 pick in the draft. 560k is massive, I mean shit, I hope it's true, but I doubt it.

Anyways, I'm very pleased with Payne today. Great draft overall. Now he has to prove he can put this allocation to good use and fill out our roster.
    Wow Rollins trying to take Payne down a bit, that came out of no where. I'd be much inclined to buy into what Rollins posted if it wasn't him who posted it. I don't think he has had a positive thing to say about Payne yet.