Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually managers go public with fitness rants after their private rants have heeded no results.

The fact that we'll be grinding out results again this year, Payne feels the need to make sure we don't lose games because we're outworked.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say all this as someone who likes Payne, and is desperate to keep liking/supporting him....

Players need to believe management has their backs. You rip guys to their face, in your office, behind closed doors.

Along the same lines, why is Payne talking about all these potential signings? It can't be good for the room either.

Stop trying to sell SSH tickets, and just worry about the team.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne didn't call anyone out individually, so it's fair play in my book. He's just trying to make a point that the country club atmosphere of the past will no longer be tolerated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Payne didn't call anyone out individually, so it's fair play in my book. He's just trying to make a point that the country club atmosphere of the past will no longer be tolerated.
    I agree. Players need to understand its a privilege to play pro, not a right. Abuse of privileges isn't tolerated anywhere in the world, and it shouldn't be in pro soccer. Payne is building a team, not a fan base, so he needs to inject a certain factor of "accountability" into the players. If I was a player, I would take his comments to the head, not the heart, and bust my ass to be the strongest player on the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have no problem with what Payne is saying at all, in fact i'm thrilled to hear it. Also it is refreshing to listen to player interviews so far about how organized and clear the pre-season instruction has been. That they know everyday exactly what is expected of them.

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to come down on the side of KP. Look at the article on Klinnsman from the NY Times in the thread below this, and compare that to the attitude that allows a player to come to camp out of shape! It can't be acceptable and someone has to call them on it. For too long we have seen Toronto players amble onto the field at the start of a game and at the half as if they were out for a gentle scrimage, while the other team runs full tilt, ready to play. Then we see our team getting their asses handed to them until they wake up and begin to play - but by then we're often down a goal. This is the same attitude that allows a supposed professional to come to camp out of shape!

The team can't keep the same old attitude and expect anything to change, and it has to be clear from the top on down that the old ways won't be tolerated. If we are still going to be, for the next year, a work in progress, then I damned well expect to see the team at least working hard, and being at least better prepared than the other team, even if they can't be better players. Full marks to KP, and I expect that the message WILL be repeated, forcefully, when Nelsen arrives.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    I have to come down on the side of KP. Look at the article on Klinnsman from the NY Times in the thread below this, and compare that to the attitude that allows a player to come to camp out of shape! It can't be acceptable and someone has to call them on it. For too long we have seen Toronto players amble onto the field at the start of a game and at the half as if they were out for a gentle scrimage, while the other team runs full tilt, ready to play. Then we see our team getting their asses handed to them until they wake up and begin to play - but by then we're often down a goal. This is the same attitude that allows a supposed professional to come to camp out of shape!

The team can't keep the same old attitude and expect anything to change, and it has to be clear from the top on down that the old ways won't be tolerated. If we are still going to be, for the next year, a work in progress, then I damned well expect to see the team at least working hard, and being at least better prepared than the other team, even if they can't be better players. Full marks to KP, and I expect that the message WILL be repeated, forcefully, when Nelsen arrives.

Very well stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very concerned with what De Vos just tweeted in regard to cochrane and the hassli extension. Payne, can't be that naive, right?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    Very concerned with what De Vos just tweeted in regard to cochrane and the hassli extension. Payne, can't be that naive, right?!
    We'll never know how involved he is.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's quite common to blame the guy who has left, and can't defend himself, for example :

Payne: Who's stupid idea was it to re-sign Hassli?

Cochrane: Mariner insisted on it. I just did the paperwork.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I tend to agree with this.

I understand where ensco is coming from, but I don't agree; I think it can even be better when the message is coming from the top down, benefiting the coach, without him having to get on the bad side of the players. Not to suggest that the players should be running the show, but more along the lines of why it was good that KP didn't single anyone out; the diplomacy shown will see the point made, without making it difficult for the players to buy into their vision.

Worth noting, as well, is the way he spoke about making sure that they're the hardest working FO in the league and wanting to set an example to the players. Coupled with how he underlines that it's disrespectful to your peers to show up unfit, I think it would be tough for anyone not to feel that this is only fair.