Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Kevin Payne interview

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...culture-change

“Also, we’re first in line to participate in the league’s new young, designated player program. So, as players are acquired by the league and made available to the teams, we’re at the top of the list. This is a key program because the players will come in at a discounted cap charge and they also will not count (as one of team’s three) designated players.”
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...culture-change

“Also, we’re first in line to participate in the league’s new young, designated player program. So, as players are acquired by the league and made available to the teams, we’re at the top of the list. This is a key program because the players will come in at a discounted cap charge and they also will not count (as one of team’s three) designated players.”
    That quote is VERY encouraging!

(Could this end up being Lopez? Could he be the player TFC is "first in line" and at "the top of the list" for?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More importantly, have they not changed the young DP rule then? Didn't a young DP count toward the 3 before?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q: Is new coach Ryan Nelsen central to this culture change?
    A: “Obviously Ryan is going to be the leader of this team as the head coach. But we also hope there will be some players — Danny Califf is certainly one, we hope Darren O’Dea is another — who want the responsibility to say to everybody else ‘hey, follow my lead and we’ll win this game.’ Some guys do that in a lot of different ways. Some guys do it very overtly. Some guys just do it by example.

I find it interesting that when talking about the players who will be the leaders of this team, he doesn't mention Frings.
    Am I reading too much into this omission?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    A: “Obviously Ryan is going to be the leader of this team as the head coach. But we also hope there will be some players — Danny Califf is certainly one, we hope Darren O’Dea is another — who want the responsibility to say to everybody else ‘hey, follow my lead and we’ll win this game.’ Some guys do that in a lot of different ways. Some guys do it very overtly. Some guys just do it by example.

I find it interesting that when talking about the players who will be the leaders of this team, he doesn't mention Frings.
    I think so. He mentions Frings as one of the four experienced defensive players that will make us difficult to score against.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    More importantly, have they not changed the young DP rule then? Didn't a young DP count toward the 3 before?
    Yeah, this is new. I never heard of this before. Now I am no conspiracy theorist but I am thinking that maybe with Payne we are in the MLS good books (along with LA & NY) as the teams with endless allocation and where rules are made to be broken (or changed to suit).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yeah, this is new. I never heard of this before. Now I am no conspiracy theorist but I am thinking that maybe with Payne we are in the MLS good books (along with LA & NY) as the teams with endless allocation and where rules are made to be broken (or changed to suit).
    I think you may be right!
    We are now "first in line" and at "the top of the list"

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had read before that Payne had flown to London to meet with Frings before Christmas. That to me means he is well within the plans of the team.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Inukshuk as a team symbol!?

Make a good TIFO though.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The Inukshuk as a team symbol!?

Make a good TIFO though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he means no disrespect towards Frings, but he's well aware that with Torsten's age he won't be a pillar of our team for very long. He mentioned as much when he was first hired and people asked what fans can expect of the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or it could be a move to try and get exceptional young talent into the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think so. He mentions Frings as one of the four experienced defensive players that will make us difficult to score against.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I had read before that Payne had flown to London to meet with Frings before Christmas. That to me means he is well within the plans of the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark83 View Post
    I think he means no disrespect towards Frings, but he's well aware that with Torsten's age he won't be a pillar of our team for very long. He mentioned as much when he was first hired and people asked what fans can expect of the team.

I didn't mean that I thought Frings wasn't going to be on the team, or whatever...

Just found it odd that when talking about Leadership and a new winning culture, you wouldn't want the most experienced and successful player on the team, by far, to play a big role in that.

But again... I'm over-analyzing. Blame it on the anxiousness of the off-season.
    Can't wait for the draft tomorrow, and then the season to start in less than 2 months!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can see Payne's strong leadership skills in this interview.
    In an organization, culture is one of the most important elements.
    DC had a culture of effort, pride, and winning,
    I want TFC to have that kind of culture.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think you may be right!
    We are now "first in line" and at "the top of the list"
    By virtue of our poor record.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dobbers interview Payne at the Combine

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/...raft%20options
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this new young DP mechanism is how TFC ends up with Alex Lopez from Honduras?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm holding out for Neymar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this new young DP mechanism is how TFC ends up with Alex Lopez from Honduras?
    I certainly hope so! I wonder if the allocation ranking for returning us internationals and former mlsers is used for this too, I know we're top of the list on that one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    By virtue of our poor record.
    We've been shit for a while but now we seem to be at the top of all these allocation lists (pre-existing and newly invented). Now I read we have 3 international spots left. I thought we were up against it there too. Hopefully next our allocation works like it does in NY and LA too (ie. Limitless supply).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dobbers interview Payne at the Combine

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/... draft options
    Nice little tidbit at the end of the Dobson interview from Payne. Dobson asks "if you were a betting man what would the chances be that Nelson will arrive sooner rather than later ?". Payne responds by saying that he feels very good about when Nelson will arrive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/...for Toronto FC

New Kevin Payne interview with Dobbers. Kinda propaganda piece and no new info
    Last edited by Yohan; 01-19-2013 at 11:49 PM.

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's saying all the right things and, so far, is doing the right things as well. I'm cautiously optimistic for next year, especially if Nelsen arrives on schedule and if we manage to shed some of the more expensive contracts before the year starts. I love Ecks, but my god...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/...for Toronto FC

New Kevin Payne interview with Dobbers. Kinda propaganda piece and no new info

Well he does say something to the effect that he is surprised that TFC fans would assume that he doesn't know when Nelsen will arrive, which is kinda new. He said that he knows when Ryan is coming, but out of respect for QPR is not saying... 1:11 in the interview.

2:52 = I feel stronger about the appointment of Ryan than any other coaching decision that I've made since Bruce Arena in 96. I've won titles with 4 different coaches.

.... Some very good points from the 'gaffer'

He's basically saying 'shut up bitches.... I've got this.' 'How many coaches have you hired?'

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin Payne at The Soccer Show with Reed and Iarusci

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Socce...January-31.mp3

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/the_soccer_show/

Payne segment starts around 7:30 mark
    Last edited by Yohan; 01-31-2013 at 11:54 PM.

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After guys on here slammed Califf for coming back fat, it's interesting to hear him praised by Payne as a consummate professional who takes care of himself and is consistent. Interested to see him take his place in our back line.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I REALLY like about that interview is that he sets out expectations as 'in the discussion for the playoffs' and 'we are going to have good options for next year (2014)'

I hope he can keep the wolves at bay for long enough to see his vision through. Toronto Fans (all sports) have the attention span of gnats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with those who think the fitness tirade in public feels a bit off. I know Payne is trying to set a tone, but I never think that the way to do this is through the papers.

I have followed this league for 7 years, and never once has Dominic Kinnear criticized players to the press.

This belongs inside the room.

(Also I agree with whoever said, let Nelsen handle it.)
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't someone post some tweets about him going buck wild on players in the dressing room about fitness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I agree with those who think the fitness tirade in public feels a bit off. I know Payne is trying to set a tone, but I never think that the way to do this is through the papers.

I have followed this league for 7 years, and never once has Dominic Kinnear criticized players to the press.

This belongs inside the room.

(Also I agree with whoever said, let Nelsen handle it.)
    On one half I agree with this but on the other hand, it's nice to see shit getting done.