Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Hassli wants out of Toronto

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/...ut-of-tfc.html

When Toronto FC traded for French striker Eric Hassli, it was believed that the high-priced forward could potentially be a solid long-term solution for TFC.

It appears he has no intention of sticking around long enough to make that happen.

Sources tell SBI that Hassli has requested a move away from Toronto FC, with the club in the unenviable position of trying to offload a big-salary player in a league with few options for him (a move back to Europe would seem to make the most sense).

Toronto FC isn’t going to make it easy for Hassli though. When asked on Tuesday about whether Hassli had in fact requested a trade, and whether TFC was planning to trade Hassli, Toronto FC president Kevin Payne would not confirm it. His response, however, seemed very pointed, revealing and defiant.

“Eric Hassli is under contract for 2013,” Payne said. “We’ll decide where Eric Hassli plays this year. Not Eric Hassli.”
    Last edited by Damien; 01-15-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hassli re-signing days before Payne was announced stinks as much as the Nathan Sturgis signing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh. Hassli has been very appreciative of support from his arrival here. I didn't understand the move when it happened but enjoyed his attitude last year. I hope this situation can be resolved is a satisfactory way for both parties. Gawd.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its alright he can go. He was never ever DP quality. Maybe if MLSE organized all the other issues first, this wouldn't happen right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Drama, it's like a cheap Harlequin romance book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that this proves that the regime change at TFC was very abrupt and orchestrated by those outside of MLSE. Had they known Payne was coming, I don't think Hassli would have been signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    Its alright he can go. He was never ever DP quality. Maybe if MLSE organized all the other issues first, this wouldn't happen right now.
    Agreed.

A lot of people are speculating that Kevin Payne's hire came from MLS, but I think knowing what we know now, it definitely came from Bogers. Depending what Anselmi knew, he should of had controls in place. Signing a DP a few days before a new manager? That should never happen. But judging by his shocked look on the podium at the KP presser and at the Burke Presser, he's been cut out of the loop. They are just publicly making this guy the face of all these changes, because they know he looks like a dope.

MLS has never meddled at the level people are suggesting previously and to do so would raise major red flags with other ownership groups.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-15-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't imagine Bogers cares enough or knows enough about MLS to go out and find Kevin Payne. Also not sure I buy the idea that MLS intervened, but I do agree the hire was abrupt and not well managed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And where does Mr. Hassli desire to play instead of here?

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His contract is really only offloadable to a team as desperate as TFC was in 2012.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a mess if true....would like to see an actual quote though or something from Hassli confirming this rather than just a "source" for SBI before I worry about it at all.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Hassli re-signing days before Payne was announced stinks as much as the Nathan Sturgis signing.
    TRUE,

Another magic move by two stooges Cockrane and Mariner
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I think that this proves that the regime change at TFC was very abrupt and orchestrated by those outside of MLSE. Had they known Payne was coming, I don't think Hassli would have been signed.
    Haslli was signed TWO DAYS before Payne,no way they did not know.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If people dont think Payne was sent by the league to clean up the mess called TFC they are naive. We were starting to become an embarrassment not just to the city, but also to the league and the professionalism its trying to portray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Haslli was signed TWO DAYS before Payne,no way they did not know.
    this is what totally baffles me about the Haslli signing. I'm sure it had to go for board approval and if they knew Payne was coming I can't imagine they'd not wait a day or 2...Make's no sense unless the Payne hiring was totally last minute or they did ask him and he agreed...I don't buy that MLS dropped Payne into TFC...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    If people dont think Payne was sent by the league to clean up the mess called TFC they are naive. We were starting to become an embarrassment not just to the city, but also to the league and the professionalism its trying to portray.
    I get the feeling Rogers/Bell contact MLS to help them hire a proper president. Seems like Rogers/Bell don't want loud mouth and unprofessional people running their teams who have done a poor job. Heck, Burke and Mariner gone speaks volume.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I can't imagine Bogers cares enough or knows enough about MLS to go out and find Kevin Payne...
    Somebody outside of the Tannenbaum/Anselmi group gave them binders on all the MLSE assets back in the fall.

They've had a GOOD long time to think this all through.

Knowing them, they probably talked to Paul Beeston and Pat Gillick and a few other trusted hands.

They would have been told to go hire the best in the business.

From there, they ask somebody else (MLS?) who is the best in the business.

And thus we get KP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post

Sources tell SBI that Hassli has requested a move away from Toronto FC, with the club in the unenviable position of trying to offload a big-salary player in a league with few options for him (a move back to Europe would seem to make the most sense).

“Eric Hassli is under contract for 2013,” Payne said. “We’ll decide where Eric Hassli plays this year. Not Eric Hassli.”
    This got me thinking, would it be theoretically possible for him to leave the country on a plane one night, return to Europe and sign with a European team without ever stepping on North American soil again?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    this is what totally baffles me about the Haslli signing. I'm sure it had to go for board approval and if they knew Payne was coming I can't imagine they'd not wait a day or 2...Make's no sense unless the Payne hiring was totally last minute or they did ask him and he agreed...I don't buy that MLS dropped Payne into TFC...
    Why would you think that a 750K signing needs board approval? The Leafs and Raptors sign journeymen 10x a year for more.

It was a big deal for TFC, but beyond nothing for MLSE.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Why would you think that a 750K signing needs board approval? The Leafs and Raptors sign journeymen 10x a year for more.

It was a big deal for TFC, but beyond nothing for MLSE.
    maybe not but i had understood DP's were approved by the board - none-the-less it is still hard to understand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would give him away for free, TFC need all the cap space they can get. Either way TFC will have 0-1 DP in 2014 which is good.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shame...I'd looked forward to seeing Hassli, Koevermans and Frings on the field.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I get the feeling Rogers/Bell contact MLS to help them hire a proper president. Seems like Rogers/Bell don't want loud mouth and unprofessional people running their teams who have done a poor job. Heck, Burke and Mariner gone speaks volume.
    It's hard to say who contacted who first, but I think that anyone with half a brain would know that TFC has been a mess. It will take a lot of effort and determination to clean up the club, both of which Kevin Payne seems to have.

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    maybe not but i had understood DP's were approved by the board - none-the-less it is still hard to understand
    That was under the Teachers' regime... they kept a tight hand on things, and micro-managed everything.

Part of running an enterprise well is knowing when to delegate. My gut feeling is that under the Bogers board Payne has all of the authority he needs to hire or not hire a DP. The way it should be and probably is that he will present a budget to the board, and it will be up to him how to allocate that money, within the bounds of the budget, whether for a DP or a new assistant coach, or whatever.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-15-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we traded away a first round pick in the 2014 draft and an international roster spot for 7 games of Eric Hassli?

I'm sure we'll get that kind of value back trading him now. LOL

And that draft pick position will be determined by a team with a coach that is not yet a coach or even around the team.

Sounds about par for the course with this club. LOL

It's scary when stuff like this doesn't even surprise me anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Earl F*CKING Cochrane shitshow

How long can this clown stay on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post

Sent by the league?!!!

LOL. You guys must be having a laugh with this.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good riddance. Expensive and over-the-hill, much like Frings and, sadly, soon Danny K will join them in this category. Here's hoping we can get something in return in addition to cap room relief.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    Sent by the league?!!!

LOL. You guys must be having a laugh with this.
    You are naive, then.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post

When Toronto FC traded for French striker Eric Hassli, it was believed that the high-priced forward could potentially be a solid long-term solution for TFC.

It appears he has no intention of sticking around long enough to make that happen.

Toronto FC isn’t going to make it easy for Hassli though. When asked on Tuesday about whether Hassli had in fact requested a trade, and whether TFC was planning to trade Hassli, Toronto FC president Kevin Payne would not confirm it. His response, however, seemed very pointed, revealing and defiant.

If that is KP's exact quote . . . I like it! The tail should not be wagging the dog! KP you are in charge, not EH.