Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not sure about what the legal implications are here, but I would strongly suspect TFC heavily has QPR by the balls. Doubt they can stop Nelsen from retiring as a player and going behind the bench, for whatever reason he chooses. So while this is being framed as "letting him go", I would suspect "let" has nothing to do with it. It's all about RN and what he feels his obligations are.
    It's not TFC that has anybody by the balls, it's that world football (indeed all of sports) has a culture of allowing people to break contracts in circumstances that involve a promotion (assistant going to manager being the common example). I've never seen it challenged (thoiugh I predict someone will post an example now!)

But I agree with the gist of what you say. Nelsen holds the cards.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's not TFC that has anybody by the balls, it's that world football (indeed all of sports) has a culture of allowing people to break contracts in circumstances that involve a promotion (assistant going to manager being the common example). I've never seen it challenged (thoiugh I predict someone will post an example now!)

But I agree with the gist of what you say. Nelsen holds the cards.
    does QPR have a case to get some sort of compensation from TFC? Like how teams have to pay another team compensation for poaching a manager? I realize player retiring to becoming a manager is a bit different.

I think both sides made it clear what they want to happen, but it's now a big exercise in PR esp at QPR vs British media. TFC also don't want to come out looking a villain and ruin reputation.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good god i'd LOVE to see Nelson in a TFC shirt the way he played today!! I really don't blame 'Arry for doing and saying anything for him to stay...he was a beast out there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure there would only be an issue if Nelsen was to play. His contract with QPR is a players contract. He is retiring as a player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    Pretty powerful picture, you can see how happy they are for him, lots of respect from his team mates.
    I have a feeling that we are getting one special person as a coach.
    Will he succeed?
    We will see.
    As of right now I like what I see.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    Only in TFC land can these conversations exist. Thank god for WCQ in March.
    so true....why I'm not sure but I knew he would be here earlier prob mid feb and I'm no expert..It was hinted at by many and in England also.And Harry has been great I feel. He never said FO, simply praised the class of the man....love the way we treat professionals so disrespectfully. we have a very distinguished and classy coach who wants to be here. How refreshing , hopefully when he hits some roadblocks we are patient. I wonder if Toronto fans have it in them. I'm beginning to wonder.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    we have a very distinguished and classy coach who wants to be here. How refreshing , hopefully when he hits some roadblocks we are patient. I wonder if Toronto fans have it in them. I'm beginning to wonder.

I'm starting to think it's not the fans who need to be more patient. Management needs to follow through with a plan, regardless of fan opinions.. There will always be fans in opposition from day 1.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I'd like to see a link to where anyone at TFC suggested that Nelsen would be here before June.
    Tough to do without reviewing all the tape in the last month ... but pretty sure that either Rongen or Dichio made some pretty direct comments on Soccer Central one night ... and I thought Payne had made some comments just after the initial announcement to try and take the edge off what the media was saying, to deaf ears ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Tough to do without reviewing all the tape in the last month ... but pretty sure that either Rongen or Dichio made some pretty direct comments on Soccer Central one night ... and I thought Payne had made some comments just after the initial announcement to try and take the edge off what the media was saying, to deaf ears ...
    hmm. I didn't hear those interviews, but if what you say is true, than it might change things a little. But from what I remember, it seemed like the majority of positive comments (from a TFC perspective) were coming from England rather than Toronto. The vibe coming from the TFC FO seemed very "don't hold your breath", whereas the comments from QPR about Nelsen leaving started before he was even announced as the new TFC coach

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony Fernandes ‏@tonyfernandes
    Thank you ryan nelsen. You have been an absolute star. Wish you good luck in your new role.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21255960

Nelsen, 35, received a standing ovation at Loftus Road after the draw with Manchester City - his final game in English football before becoming full-time coach of Major League Soccer club Toronto FC from 1 February.
    Redknapp said: "I tried to sign Ryan Nelsen many times over the years when he was at Blackburn. I finally got him on a free at Tottenham and he is a top pro, a top guy and I wish him well.
    "I am sure he will be a success in his new career."
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    I'm starting to think it's not the fans who need to be more patient. Management needs to follow through with a plan, regardless of fan opinions.. There will always be fans in opposition from day 1.
    Pretty much. While the has been an outlier or two where a bad team goes from bad to good in a single offseason (NYRB comes to mind), most good teams take a few years to put together.

The real fire-test of MLSE's resolve is going to be what happens at the end of the season - if we are poor this year and season tickets erode further. This is not the first time that we have been promised a long term vision and we know how that has ended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    hmm. I didn't hear those interviews, but if what you say is true, than it might change things a little. But from what I remember, it seemed like the majority of positive comments (from a TFC perspective) were coming from England rather than Toronto. The vibe coming from the TFC FO seemed very "don't hold your breath", whereas the comments from QPR about Nelsen leaving started before he was even announced as the new TFC coach
    It was on Sportnet and I beleive TSN around the time of the draft. I saw them. They explicitly said he'd been here Feb 1st - pretty sure Payne said it directly. Apparently he might play one last game with QPR on Saturday and arrive on Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

surely QPR should have been the one to make an announcement about the date - not TFC.
    TFC didn't make the announcement of the date...Ryan Nelsen did

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    TFC didn't make the announcement of the date...Ryan Nelsen did
    At a TFC media event. It should have occurred at QPR.

Still, it looks as though this is now a past-issue (though has QPR actually made an official announcement - they did everything else but yesterday, or are we going to see Nelsen in the line-up against Norwich on Saturday?). Did Redknapp say anything in his post-game interview - I didn't record it.

Nelsen must be thrilled to be going out on a high. He's looked spectacular in his matches this month. I'm surprised he's not tempted to try and play a little more in Toronto.
    Last edited by nfitz; 01-30-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Except for Dunfield's personal development plan, we in the TFC stands have not seen many plans come to fruition. We bitch, but they need to be solid and stick to it or risk seeming ballsless (new word?)

I am happy with R.N. and can look past these last few weeks of a headless TFC only if we can have a CONSISTENT FULL SEASON. I am not the most die hard fan, probs the least on these boards, but the perils of TFC are so numerous that even grandmas are rolling their eyes.

R.N. has walked into slimer and is now covered in the goo, poor guy. But, thank you R.N. and good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    Except for Dunfield's personal development plan, we in the TFC stands have not seen many plans come to fruition.
    and that plan has clearly failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can we keep him for more than 2yrs plz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samba set to join QPR relegation fight: Nelsen's Replacement

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/p...er&pk_kwd=gesm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen must be thrilled to be going out on a high. He's looked spectacular in his matches this month. I'm surprised he's not tempted to try and play a little more in Toronto.
    Unless QPR negotiated a transfer or outright released him it would not be possible. A player can retire and pursue other avenues (such as coaching) but not other playing options.

Imagine the can of worms that would open if it was allowable...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Unless QPR negotiated a transfer or outright released him it would not be possible. A player can retire and pursue other avenues (such as coaching) but not other playing options.

Imagine the can of worms that would open if it was allowable...
    I'd assume that he'd only be bound as long as his original contract lasted. So if his QPR contract was to terminate July 1st (not sure if that's true or if there were options, etc.), then he couldn't play for us until July 1st ... but not sure what would stop him after.

The operative word here is "assume". I'm no lawyer ... I only play one on the Internet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QPR signed a South Korean fullback Yun Suk Young and CB Christopher Samba, so should be no question about Nelsen not return to TFC now

-Eduardo Galeano