Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    God knows I didn't rate Anselmi, but this one is on Winter.

Seriously, if you run an MLS team and sign a 19 year old Ecuadorian, and you don't have a serious and well thought through game plan for managing him off field, you are brain dead.
    There definitely is a support system in place now, making the transition to Canada for some of the international players much easier.
    Even one thing I have noticed is that players from Brazil, both from TFC and the Raptors, Gilberto, Bruno and Lucas have been hanging out a lot.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God knows I didn't rate Anselmi, but this one is on Winter.

Seriously, if you run an MLS team and sign a 19 year old Ecuadorian, and you don't have a serious and well thought through game plan for managing him off field, you are brain dead.
    Bunh?! I thought Mariner was responsible, not only for all things to do with the players (as Director of Player Development), but also for helping Winter, himself, to settle into his role and the league (Mariner having been a veteran assistant coach, for many years, here)?

Winter is not without his faults, but this forum sometimes seems to hold NOTHING back for a really classy bloke, who raves on about the club, city and local players, and would return in a heartbeat. Not to mention him having his hands full, being undermined for his entire stint. I just find some of the flack he gets a bit harsh, at times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Bunh?! I thought Mariner was responsible, not only for all things to do with the players (as Director of Player Development), but also for helping Winter, himself, to settle into his role and the league (Mariner having been a veteran assistant coach, for many years, here)?

Winter is not without his faults, but this forum sometimes seems to hold NOTHING back for a really classy bloke, who raves on about the club, city and local players, and would return in a heartbeat. Not to mention him having his hands full, being undermined for his entire stint. I just find some of the flack he gets a bit harsh, at times.
    Winter is a classy guy, sure. That doesn't change anything about how he ran the club day to day, which was terrible. This wasn't that long ago, everyone remembers the set up, claiming Mariner would have owned the problem Plata had while here is just silly. That buck stopped with Winter.

It was actually probably someone like Cochrane who actually was tasked with this, and screwed it up. But one of Winter's faults was not stepping in and letting things like this happen underneath him.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-04-2014 at 07:23 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter is a classy guy, sure. That doesn't change anything about how he ran the club day to day, which was terrible. This wasn't that long ago, everyone remembers the set up, claiming Mariner would have owned the problem Plata had while here is just silly. That buck stopped with Winter.

It was actually probably someone like Cochrane who actually was tasked with this, and screwed it up. But one of Winter's faults was not stepping in and letting things like this happen underneath him.
    Oh -- IS it silly? I had thought otherwise, and also that it were subjective; apparently I was wrong. You'll excuse me, then, for thinking the Director of Player Development would have been responsible for seeing that Plata was taken care of (and especially with all they suggested the role would entail, as from the press conference). Silly, indeed.

Look.. I, too, believe Winter was out of his depth -- it was the first time he was ever named to a head-coaching role, after all (straight into the deep end, at that, with the mess that was TFC, then) -- and I'm not so delusional as to think that any nice guy should have a pass. I just feel like he should never have been appointed to the role, in the first place, as evidenced by the job he's done; because he wasn't ready, doesn't make him "brain dead."

I agree that he's at fault for not stepping in and doing something about the way things were going, behind the scenes, but I also can recognize that as being more of a character flaw. He would have needed experience coaching elsewhere, that would have allowed him to come out of his shell a bit more -- I don't think it's merely coincidental that he never made it past an assistant's role, in his three years with the Ajax youth team; it's on MLSE, then, for not vetting him, properly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing about Winter/Mariner years is that the roles were never quite defined. but generally, it's the manager who ends up being responsible for a player's welfare. he can delegate some of that responsibility to others, but ultimately, the player plays for the manager and it's up to the manager to ensure that a player is take care of.

Winter never seemed to grasp the player management thing. never showed much charisma either.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    one thing about Winter/Mariner years is that the roles were never quite defined. but generally, it's the manager who ends up being responsible for a player's welfare. he can delegate some of that responsibility to others, but ultimately, the player plays for the manager and it's up to the manager to ensure that a player is take care of.

Winter never seemed to grasp the player management thing. never showed much charisma either.
    Actually, I remember them quite clearly defining the roles, in so far as they touched on how things would work, even if they couldn't have covered 100% of possible circumstances to arise (Mariner was all but described as a chaperon); that's what I was referencing, myself, anyway.

The rest, I agree with.. but, their appointing Mariner -- someone Winter clearly had no part in bringing in -- seemed an admittance of just how green a coach they've went out and got, whether you look at it from the perspective of them suggesting he needs the help, or from a "plan B" perspective; it was always an arrangement doomed to fail, for me. A shame, really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Actually, I remember them quite clearly defining the roles, in so far as they touched on how things would work, even if they couldn't have covered 100% of possible circumstances to arise (Mariner was all but described as a chaperon); that's what I was referencing, myself, anyway.

The rest, I agree with.. but, their appointing Mariner -- someone Winter clearly had no part in bringing in -- seemed an admittance of just how green a coach they've went out and got, whether you look at it from the perspective of them suggesting he needs the help, or from a "plan B" perspective; it was always an arrangement doomed to fail, for me. A shame, really.
    Yes this is of course on MLSE, who have ALWAYS made new hires inherit people (the one time they didn't, with Leiweke, he went ahead and quickly did it himself with two-thrids of his teams -Nonis and Nelsen, sigh)

But I was particularly disappointed in Winter for not standing up to it, he had the personal stature to do so, he didn't have to just roll over like a fat seal.

As to the issue of who should recognize and own the problems a homesick 19 year old non English speaking South American might be having here, and who was best positioned as a person to handle that, screw the org chart, that seems incredibly obvious to me.

I can't look at Plata and Silva without wincing.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-04-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes this is of course on MLSE, who have ALWAYS made new hires inherit people (the one time they didn't, with Leiweke, he went ahead and quickly did it himself with two-thrids of his teams -Nonis and Nelsen, sigh)

But I was particularly disappointed in Winter for not standing up to it, he had the personal stature to do so, he didn't have to just roll over like a fat seal.

As to the issue of who should recognize and own the problems a homesick 19 year old non English speaking South American might be having here, and who was best positioned as a person to handle that, screw the org chart, that seems incredibly obvious to me.

I can't look at Plata and Silva without wincing.
    Completely agree, from this perspective.

I guess I was meaning that the roles, as they were defined, seemed to pin the responsibility on Mariner.. but, I'd be lying if I said Winter's meek demeanour didn't sometimes draw my ire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter is a classy guy, sure. That doesn't change anything about how he ran the club day to day, which was terrible.
    Agree with this 100%.

There's a difference between Aron Winter's vision (what most people like) and his ability to implement what he said he was going to do (which he was completely hopeless at). He had no idea what the level of play was here, how to find talent, or how to implement a system that met his vision and the requirements of MLS play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I just had a look at who was coaching the Dutch U19 team, and was rather surprised and pleased to see an old friend of ours there. http://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2...095/index.html

Personally, I'm glad he landed on his feet, and I think the Dutch youth team is a great place for him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    So I just had a look at who was coaching the Dutch U19 team, and was rather surprised and pleased to see an old friend of ours there. http://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2...095/index.html

Personally, I'm glad he landed on his feet, and I think the Dutch youth team is a great place for him
    Ditto.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'll bet that guy is fun-as-hell to have a drink with.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should look into gets some shirts like that?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations to Stephan Frei for backstopping Seattle to their first ever Supporter's Shield. It's good to see him get rewarded, after the honorable and loyal service he gave to Toronto. A first class guy!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    Congratulations to Stephan Frei for backstopping Seattle to their first ever Supporter's Shield. It's good to see him get rewarded, after the honorable and loyal service he gave to Toronto. A first class guy!
    and Chad Barrett, who has won 2 Supporter's Shield, US Open Cup and an MLS Cup... wanna win trophies? move out of toronto lol

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RELEASE THE GARGAN!!!!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...alaxy-backline

EDIT: Old Story, but Gargy was in the lineup today for the Galaxy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    +1 but man that hair cut, what has the west coast done to him

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    +1 but man that hair cut, what has the west coast done to him
    hanging out with too many hipsters and yuppies

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caught up with Former Red defender and head scout Tim Regan up in Ottawa yesterday. Tim is currently an assistant coach with the Indy 11 of the NASL. Had a great time with the Bytown Boys at TD Place at the season finale for the expansion Fury.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What? No Defoe news in here yet? I'll come back and check in a month or two....LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    What? No Defoe news in here yet? I'll come back and check in a month or two....LOL
    Armen Bedakian ‏@ArmenBedakian 17m17 minutes ago Defoe back in the UK? RT "@ExtensionsLeona: Look who I bumped into @IAmJermainDefoe at my local tesco "

Here you go...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Armen Bedakian ‏@ArmenBedakian 17m17 minutes ago Defoe back in the UK? RT "@ExtensionsLeona: Look who I bumped into @IAmJermainDefoe at my local tesco "

Here you go...
    Awesome....hahaha.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doubt about we know where he's at, back in London baby where the heart is, he has to be considering he was at a Tesco.

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post

Here you go...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    No doubt about we know where he's at, back in London baby where the heart is, he has to be considering he was at a Tesco.
    WTF! Is this photoshopped or does she have the worst man hands in Britain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings is now assistant coach at Werder Bremen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Frings is now assistant coach at Werder Bremen.
    Maybe a future TFC head coach, you never know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be. We should wait to see how this pans out. Gonna be assistant coaching his first game today. A cup game against Chemnitz

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should look into gets some shirts like that?
    I would like one with Bradley on it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's way too classy a guy to be subjected to that.