Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This press conference doesn't inspire confidence. This doesn't feel thought out at all.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the most likely situation is that 'Arry will release him. It's the transfer window.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne is talking about the type of culture TFC has needed since day 1 but never had.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ This sounds like a car crash to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So he's not even available until about 12 games into the season? So if we start on another 9-game losing streak, do we fire Nelsen before he ever gets here?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On the one hand, it wouldn't be TFC if this situation wasn't at least a bit f**ked up, which it appears to be. OTOH, everything I've read about Nelsen and QPR, especially in regards to 'arry, seems to suggest he'd be willing to let Nelsen leave if need be. So who knows when he could be actually joining us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Coach . . .

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'll reserve my judgement now and let the situation play out. If Fran wasn't there, I would be suspicious.

Yea, Fran O the assistant will be the coach since the new coach isn't a coach and is still under contract to QPR.
    Eventually, our new coach will join the trip . . .when? . . . not sure. Hope the team is clear on this new direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Payne keeps his word and trial 5 years, and see if we can keep him on for a longer period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so it sounds like he'll try to get out earlier if possible but can't guarantee his release.

Press is pretty openly hostile. Where was this when the guy at the podium was a crazy arm-waving foaming-at the mouth winless in 14 idiot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the more fucked up it is, the better it gets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been excited about the prospect of Nelsen taking over ... but I have to say I am pretty upset at the idea of Nelsen continuing as a footballer at QPR until May. This doesn't look very good in terms of Nelsen's commitment to TFC and TFC's preparations for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was an absolute disaster of a press conference. Be skeptical everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do I get the feeling that Mariner is the one who actually quit, and Payne is trying to make it sound like its was his idea? I think Mariner found out he wasn't in the long term plans, said "screw that", and left. Now Payne is scrambling and picked up someone from his contact list who was available on short notice.

Isn't it kind of weird that the new Assistant Coach has more Coaching experience than the new Head Coach? Something just feels really odd about this situation.

To be honest, I don't feel MLSE is in control of the franchise anymore, MLS is...
    Last edited by Initial B; 01-08-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Ok, so it sounds like he'll try to get out earlier if possible but can't guarantee his release.

Press is pretty openly hostile. Where was this when the guy at the podium was a crazy arm-waving foaming-at the mouth winless in 14 idiot?
    Agreed, however atleast we can say there will be no more favouritism. Fresh start.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne is taking a huge risk, but one that's paid off for him before.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if it's any consolation, O'leary has a stellar record as a collegiate coach, so hopefully, TFC will be in good hands if Nelsen has to miss part of the season. It is a very unusual situation though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd just let the boys figure out where they're playing like in rec. Can't do worse than Mariner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that Mariner is the one who actually quit, and Payne is trying to make it sound like its was his idea? I think Mariner found out he wasn't in the long term plans, said "screw that", and left. Now Payne is scrambling and picked up someone from his contact list who was available on short notice.

Isn't it kind of weird that the new Assistant Coach has more Coaching experience than the new Head Coach? Something just feels really odd about this situation.

To be honest, I don't feel MLSE is in control of the franchise anymore, MLS is...
    You raise a good point, maybe Mariner did quit. No way would anyone choose to roll out these change the way they did today. Seem logical that Nelsen wasn't going to be available until June, Payne told Mariner he was going get sacked or bumped then, he said fuck it, I'm not an interim coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yep, that's fair. Everyone keep their guard up.

BTW, maybe I'm just a grumpy old guy on the wrong side of 25, but reading off your blackberry twitter feed to gauge fan reaction and calling that journalism?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner was fired. Payne has a lot of belief in this guy and went (ridiculously) out of his way to sign him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't know what to say... i want to be positive but all I can manage is slightly nervous.

all we can do is wait and see.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So TFC now have a coach with:

No coaching badges?
    Currently playing for another team in another league?
    Won't be here for the preseason or even the first game?

Surely this can't be right? Is today April 1st?

Looks like the shit show continues…
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure why people are upset here. This is what the majority wanted.. that being, Mariner out as coach. That alone is the most positive move this offseason.

Sure it's a messed up situation but that is commonplace around these parts. I'm not surprised, but I'll give Payne/Nelson the benefit of the doubt. He was smart enough to fire Mariner before the season began so that's a positive sign.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually when you take a big risk, either it pays of huge (like with Kreis) or it is a massive failure.
    Hopefully we get that massive payoff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Nelsen plans on playing in Brazil in 2014 (if they make it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    You raise a good point, maybe Mariner did quit. No way would anyone choose to roll out these change the way they did today. Seem logical that Nelsen wasn't going to be available until June, Payne told Mariner he was going get sacked or bumped then, he said fuck it, I'm not an interim coach.

Or, Payne knew that Nelsen was his guy, and as he said, is willing to wait a few months to get the guy for the next 5 years. There's no point in letting your guy slip through your fingers because you couldn't wait for him. There's also no point in keeping a guy around that you have no plans for, and intent on sacking in a few months.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole situation is weird. I guess all we can do is buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Ryan does seem to be a good guy, but having been on this merry - go - round before, I have a lot more questions than answers right now.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner was fired. Payne has a lot of belief in this guy and went (ridiculously) out of his way to sign him.
    That's really what's holding this up right now. If Kevin Payne wasn't sitting behind this situation with his track record, we'd be pretty nervous. Everybody seems to vouch for the fact this guy is a leader and has high potential. Would that alone be enough for us to be confident if this hire was brought forward by Anselmi or someone similar? Probably not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people wanted change and we got exactly that today. Whether Mariner did not want to be an interim coach until June or not he did not fit in with Payne's plan. Mr. Payne leaves no doubt on who is in charge and that is refreshing. Not sure how the Ryan/Fran thing is going to work but because I wanted a change I am supporting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post

I'm under the impression that Mariner's the kind of guy who will do whatever he has to to keep his job. I highly doubt that he's so high in demand (or that he thinks he's high in demand) that he can just quit a job in which he has two more years on contract.

It was a disaster because the media (mainly Nigel Reid) made it a disaster with their loaded questions, and outright brainless questions