Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm.....Kurtis Larson still in denial about Mariner's abilities. http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/07...-as-head-coach

Focusing a bit much on what Payne said about Mariner back in November.

And repeats the 3 year deal thingie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hmmm.....Kurtis Larson still in denial about Mariner's abilities. http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/07...-as-head-coach

He's just bitter that he lost his source. lol Now he has to find a new source within TFC so he can write his articles.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I don't rate Harry as a good judge of the ability to coach/manage a team.

I do rate Payne as one.
    Two points from eight games when Redschnapps arrived. Champions League qualification the next season, clinched with a gritty 1-0 away win at Man City.

Vindication for 'Arry came in three words chanted from the Park Lane End when they were spanking Inter Milan - Taxi for Maicon!

'Arry didn't bring Nelsen into Spurs for the speed of his wheels. He brought him in for the speed of his brain cells, the work ethic, and the character that made him instantly respected in the changeroom, wherever he played.

This guy's a leader. Mariner looked like an outcast extra from Wayne's World. Never filled me with confidence. Nelsen is 180 degrees in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 01-07-2013 at 11:52 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, here's an interesting quote from that article: "Still, the silent majority was interested in seeing what Mariner could conjour up in 2013."

Silent majority, really? Now we perhaps know what Larson's "sources" really were -- the voices in his own head?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy that Mariner is gone, but I don't think Earl will be leaving. My feeling is Payne will keep Earl as a personal assistant who gets him coffee, picks up the dry cleaning and shines his shoes.

As for Nelson he has a presence that commands the respect of fellow players. Should be an interesting season.

Am sure Nelson & Payne will bring in one or two coaches with Brennan & Bent continuing to work with TFC Academy programs.

I would like to see Danny Dichio on the sidelines with Nelson and hopes he gets promoted.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikers View Post
    I'm happy that Mariner is gone, but I don't think Earl will be leaving. My feeling is Payne will keep Earl as a personal assistant who gets him coffee, picks up the dry cleaning and shines his shoes.
    Agreed, he'll use Earl in the capacity in which he's qualified, not as a contract manager or GM, but maybe showing new players around the clubhouse, booking travel, etc.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Agreed, he'll use Earl in the capacity in which he's qualified, not as a contract manager or GM, but maybe showing new players around the clubhouse, booking travel, etc.
    getting coffee, taking the uni's out of the dryer...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    What Payne does with Cochrane remains the true litmus test of the independence of his regime.

Cochrane reports to Anselmi. In reality if not on paper.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    What Payne does with Cochrane remains the true litmus test of the independence of his regime.

Possibly, but not a given IMHO. This is based on the fact that Payne has a prior working relationship with Earl, and we don't know what he thinks of Earl from that time.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cochrane worked for Payne in DC. It's no litmus test at all, Payne might keep him because Payne likes him as an administrative assistant, a job he is actually good at. We dislike Cochrane because as a GM he is a massive failure, but everyone has a job that they are good at.

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Hmm, here's an interesting quote from that article: "Still, the silent majority was interested in seeing what Mariner could conjour up in 2013."

Silent majority, really? Now we perhaps know what Larson's "sources" really were -- the voices in his own head?
    I gotta thank you for sharing the best bits of his articles since I don't read him. I think that silent majority were just resigned to the signs of atrophy from the people in charge of making the decision for the change.

I'm glad the decsion was made in the end and the task of getting a new regime ready is well at hand.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Possibly, but not a given IMHO. This is based on the fact that Payne has a prior working relationship with Earl, and we don't know what he thinks of Earl from that time.
    So what? Cochrane was in an unimportant role in DC. He spit the bit when given his shot here.

We're in a global war for talent. Payne just went to England to find his manager. How can Payne look at Cochrane's track record here, and keep him in the important role he has had here, working closely with Nelsen? Who in the entire world would speak highly of Cochrane (the way so many important people are speaking highly of Nelsen)? What kind of message is keeping Cochrane, for Nelsen?

btw demoting people doesn't work in life, it poisons the work environment. Cochrane has to go.

Based on how he handles himself and what he is doing, I now have complete confidence that Payne knows all this. The question is, what does Payne have the freedom, perceived or otherwise, to do?
    Last edited by ensco; 01-08-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw listening to the Soccer Show on Sirius XM this morning, Ray Hudson started the show by breaking off the planned first topic (the announcement of the Fifa All World XI yesterday) to discuss Ryan Nelsen. Hudson was the coach at DCU when Nelsen was there. He absolutely loves Nelsen, thinks he will be a massive success in MLS. He took the armband away from Marco Etcheverry to give it to Nelsen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what? Cochrane was in an unimportant role in DC. He spit the bit when given his shot here.

We're in a global war for talent. Payne just went to England to find his manager. How can Payne look at Cochrane's track record here, and keep him in the important role he has had here, working closely with Nelsen? Who in the entire world would speak highly of Cochrane (the way so many important people are speaking highly of Nelsen)? What kind of message is keeping Cochrane, for Nelsen?

btw demoting people doesn't work in life, it poisons the work environment. Cochrane has to go.

Based on how he handles himself and what he is doing, I now have complete confidence that Payne knows all this. The question is, what does Payne have the freedom, perceived or otherwise, to do?
    My guess is I think Cochrane will be doing the legwork on things (finding out stats, making phone calls, crunching some numbers, etc.) and Payne probably figures that he is good enough for that and when something gets closer to being done, or a real opportunity comes along, he will get involved and give it the final approval. It works that way in my job...I manage and there are people to do the smaller stuff. They don't need to be great...just good enough to do the legwork on some tasks. That is my guess for the Cochrane situation anyway. Not a demotion or anything...just a change in duties/processes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Two points from eight games when Redschnapps arrived. Champions League qualification the next season, clinched with a gritty 1-0 away win at Man City.

Vindication for 'Arry came in three words chanted from the Park Lane End when they were spanking Inter Milan - Taxi for Maicon!

'Arry didn't bring Nelsen into Spurs for the speed of his wheels. He brought him in for the speed of his brain cells, the work ethic, and the character that made him instantly respected in the changeroom, wherever he played.

This guy's a leader. Mariner looked like an outcast extra from Wayne's World. Never filled me with confidence. Nelsen is 180 degrees in the opposite direction.
    This quote also caught my attention about this guy:
    “He’s one of the best pros I’ve ever met in my life, a fantastic player, a great trainer, a leader,” Redknapp told the BBC

Having a manager with a strong work ethic and fresh out of the game will hopfully light a fire under the asses of these guys.
    Wondering how the veterans will view him though - Frings, Koevs, and french guy who's name i can't remember right now.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thsi being the4 internet, I say have at it.
    LEt the assumptions and feelings fly wildly!!!
    Fact is, we are the worst team ever. . and we dont know a THING abotu Nelsen as a coach.
    but. . it cant be any worse.

Anyone willing to be associated with this franchise deserves a chance. . .AN-E-ONE.
    including all of us here. . . . . and IKEA monkey of course.

Maybe he can convince Harry Kewel to sign for us. . .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    My guess is I think Cochrane will be doing the legwork on things (finding out stats, making phone calls, crunching some numbers, etc.) and Payne probably figures that he is good enough for that and when something gets closer to being done, or a real opportunity comes along, he will get involved and give it the final approval. It works that way in my job...I manage and there are people to do the smaller stuff. They don't need to be great...just good enough to do the legwork on some tasks. That is my guess for the Cochrane situation anyway. Not a demotion or anything...just a change in duties/processes.
    That would work if Cochrane hadn't been Anselmi's man. But he was/is, so it doesn't work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post

Maybe he can convince Harry Kewel to sign for us. . .
    QPR also released Kieron Dyer today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I think Cochrane needs to go, I think he'll be staying because iirc he's also the TFC contact with the CSA. I just hope he doesn't poison the work environment or work behind Payne's back. I don't put too much stock in him reporting to Anselmi because the COO position is *not* the top position at MLSE - that will be the CEO whenever they get around to appointing one. I also have a feeling that MLS itself is backing Payne to the hilt and won't put up with any more shenanigans from MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

Ah yes, the press coverage is starting to get interesting. All these guys are going to spin reasons why they weren't "wrong" but that we never actually got a chance to fully evaluate mariner etc...

Fact remains a seasoned MLS executive came in here, took one look at the guy and put him in the dirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any insights on Fran O'Leary?
    Seems like a smart pick to take a college coach who knows the NA style, but can't find much on his track record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's the ass hat who directly told nelsen that the online reaction was generally negative?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HE 's got one thing going for him.
    He is used to being bottom of the league. .

wakka-wakka.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Who's the ass hat who directly told nelsen that the online reaction was generally negative?
    im not sure..but sounded like larsen,one of PMs pets...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reaction on twitter was generally very negative. I'm a bit surprised it is not similarly so here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The reaction on twitter was generally very negative. I'm a bit surprised it is not similarly so here.
    But still. "everyone online hates you already, what do you have to say about that?" How is that, in any world, a good question? How does it help in any way?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I think its called - comfortably numb.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twitter doesn't do positive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the complaints about them being unprepared for the media:

I thought that Payne and Nelsen answered the questions as best as they could (apart from the style of play). What are they supposed to do if the press wont accept those answers, and keep asking the same questions again and again. Do they want Nelsen to say that he's desperately trying to ditch his last place team to come to this last place team? They asked about his lack of experience, and he explained why that wasn't a problem. What else do you want him to say?