Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mariner has been traded to NYRB for their water boy!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that it matters, but I had a good feeling this was coming.
    I even posted a couple of replies on here about all the recent articles over the last month or so on TFC not including comments by Mariner, mostly Cochrane and Payne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, 'Arry thought very highly of Nelsen. These are the kinds of qualities you want in a leader (from Sky Sports):

And Redknapp said: "There is some truth in the rumour I'm afraid. Nelsen is very important to us, a fantastic leader and a top player, but he has been offered a job in America and I think there is every chance he might want to go.
    "He wants to be a manager and it is a chance for him to manage a club.
    "He has been fantastic. I took him to Tottenham last year from Blackburn and he's one of the best pros I've ever met in my life, a fantastic player, a great trainer, a leader. He is a massive part of your team and to lose him would be a massive blow for us."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8382530/
    Last edited by Canary10; 01-07-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Well, this explains Mariner's silence as he must have known something like this is coming for a while.

Ryan Nelsen looks to be Kevin Payne's next Ben Olsen project, except Nelsen has better playing pedigree. Looks to be similar character though. Captains New Zealand and also at DC, Blackburn and was QPR's vice captain. At least Nelsen won't take guff and gives a shit about result in the field, if anyone saw QPR in 1st half season this year when Nelsen was like the only guy who gave a damn on the pitch.

Also, don't expect playoffs this year as KP is clearly looking for rebuilding. He gave Ben Olsen 3 years to make the playoffs, and likely will be patient with Ryan Nelsen to learn the ropes of MLS as well.
    It'sactually weird that QPR are letting him go. Seriously. They're in a desperate situation and Nelson has been playing major minutes and, apparently, playing well.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have to trust in Payne at this point. He is doing a floor to ceiling rebuild (and I think we all agree the baby had to be thrown out with the bathwater). Makes total sense to bring in someone he can TRUST implicitly. Mariner would never be that guy as we saw with the power struggle between him and Winter/BDK.

Clean slate. Timing is good 2 weeks before the superdraft and pre-season training.

Yes I'd have been more enthusiastic with a proven coach but I'm willing to give KP the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Earl Cockring - you are next

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God damn it. Was hoping he'd land in DC with Olsen :/ GRRRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woohoo! Party time. I have tons of respect for Ryan Nelsen as a leader. Given the right support, I'm sure he'll do a fine job. But best of all, Mariner is gone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am ECSTATIC that Mariner's gone. Got up and did a dance when I read the news.

I don't know about Nelson though. I'm tired of inexperienced coaches. Who knows how prepared he'll be going straight from playing to coaching. Training camp kicks off in a couple weeks. Interesting note (to me anyway): he's a year younger than Frings.

This is a big risk by Payne, let's see how it plays out. Right now I'm just elated about the much-needed change. Going to be a fun season, can't wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it goes to show you just how far this team has gone down, dragging its supporters with them, that you have excitement for hiring somebody with 0 management experience as the new head coach.

congrats for buying into MLSE's excuse for this season. no wonder they do what they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne bringing the pain. God damn this news made me happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    For what it's worth, 'Arry thought very highly of Nelsen. These are the kinds of qualities you want in a leader (from Sky Sports):

And Redknapp said: "There is some truth in the rumour I'm afraid. Nelsen is very important to us, a fantastic leader and a top player, but he has been offered a job in America and I think there is every chance he might want to go.
    "He wants to be a manager and it is a chance for him to manage a club.
    "He has been fantastic. I took him to Tottenham last year from Blackburn and he's one of the best pros I've ever met in my life, a fantastic player, a great trainer, a leader. He is a massive part of your team and to lose him would be a massive blow for us."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8382530/
    looks like our new coach will be in better shape then the players are when camp starts..

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    it goes to show you just how far this team has gone down, dragging its supporters with them, that you have excitement for hiring somebody with 0 management experience as the new head coach.

congrats for buying into MLSE's excuse for this season. no wonder they do what they want.
    You don't know Payne, if you followed DC (or even read the article), you'd see that Payne has hired rookies for DC twice, both of whom have proved stellar coaches, Nowak even winning the MLS Cup.

Now if it was still Tom Anselmi making the coaching decisions, I'd be even more cynical than you.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Sigh* Here we go again. I'm guessing that this year will be another writeoff as Nelsen learns how to coach.

Whatever happened to the party line that TFC would lose all credibility with MLS if they fired Mariner after the end of the season? I guess Payne has credibility in spades?

Why do I have a bad feeling that the franchise is about to auger into the ground and the end of its final death spiral? There's to many new pieces to fit and all I forsee is chaos. Why didn't he pull the trigger earlier and give the new coach time to prepare for the player Combine? This is like Winter all over again. Payne had better do a god-like job of managing expectations of the fans if he hopes to have any season ticket holders left for next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen is supposedly like an on field mentor while playing. And he can motivate the hell out of people. As much as New Zealand sucks, they only let in 1 goal in group stage during World Cup, incl 1-1 draw against Italy. A lot of it is manager's tactics, but I also think Ryan Nelsen as the All Whites captain did helluva job organizing the defence. Hopefully he can fix the leaky defence and instill new mentality into the team.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Guys !!! Long time reader first time poster lol. Great news and for a guy like Harry Redknapp to comment the following this Nelson guy must be the ticket. I like the LEADER part. Just what weve needed for the longest time.
    "He has been fantastic. I took him to Tottenham last year from Blackburn. He's one of the best pros I've ever met in my life, a fantastic player, a great trainer, a leader," he said.
    "He is a massive part of your team [but] he wants to be a manager and it is a chance for him to manage a club."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    *Sigh* Here we go again. I'm guessing that this year will be another writeoff as Nelsen learns how to coach.

Whatever happened to the party line that TFC would lose all credibility with MLS if they fired Mariner after the end of the season? I guess Payne has credibility in spades?

Why do I have a bad feeling that the franchise is about to auger into the ground and the end of its final death spiral? There's to many new pieces to fit and all I forsee is chaos. Why didn't he pull the trigger earlier and give the new coach time to prepare for the player Combine? This is like Winter all over again. Payne had better do a god-like job of managing expectations of the fans if he hopes to have any season ticket holders left for next year.
    That was hardly the consensus. I think most people saw him as a poor coach, beyond a few in the media and the odd blogger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to hear a little more about what happened here behind the scenes leading up to the Payne hiring. This just looks like an extension of the same theme.

1. season comes to an end - no indication from the club whatsoever that they'll be firing mariner. Press friendly to management are given their token rah-rah stories.

2. Payne shows up at press conference - Anslemi, Cochrane, Mariner ... all look completely stunned. complete 180 from everything the club was saying previously

3. Mariner gets shown door one month later and we have new coach

Somebody north of Anselmi in the totem pole must really have got behind cleaning house here, don't think this was his work. Lot of links to the "MLS blocked my deal" Mariner sorry floating around today. Have to wonder if they didn't like that so much and decided to call in a hit to clean up an under-performing market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Nelsen is supposedly like an on field mentor while playing. And he can motivate the hell out of people. As much as New Zealand sucks, they only let in 1 goal in group stage during World Cup, incl 1-1 draw against Italy. A lot of it is manager's tactics, but I also think Ryan Nelsen as the All Whites captain did helluva job organizing the defence. Hopefully he can fix the leaky defence and instill new mentality into the team.
    Only team to go undefeated at the World Cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to hear a little more about what happened here behind the scenes leading up to the Payne hiring. This just looks like an extension of the same theme.

1. season comes to an end - no indication from the club whatsoever that they'll be firing mariner. Press friendly to management are given their token rah-rah stories.

2. Payne shows up at press conference - Anslemi, Cochrane, Mariner ... all look completely stunned. complete 180 from everything the club was saying previously

3. Mariner gets shown door one month later and we have new coach

Somebody north of Anselmi in the totem pole must really have got behind cleaning house here, don't think this was his work. Lot of links to the "MLS blocked my deal" Mariner sorry floating around today. Have to wonder if they didn't like that so much and decided to call in a hit to clean up an under-performing market."

^ I think he's just a shit coach and Payne knew it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interested to read that Nelsen has a degree in political science from Stanford. This must make him our smartest Head Coach by a mile.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he takes fried chicken seriously

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to hear a little more about what happened here behind the scenes leading up to the Payne hiring. This just looks like an extension of the same theme.
    Agree with you. The Payne signing has MLS all over it. The league probably didn't think Mariner/Cochrane were the best people to run a club and sent Payne's resume to Anselmi. Cue the accelerated makeover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As cool as it would be to have him as a player-coach, more likely he will retire to be released from his QPR contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    As cool as it would be to have him as a player-coach, more likely he will retire to be released from his QPR contract.

I would like this move if he was coming in as the ASSISTANT COACH. The guy will still have the jitteries to play week in and week out and its hard coming so recently from such a high level to then watch your lower class players struggle and literally want to get into that game and help.. Also Frings is older then him...

bahahha What will Torsten think of a player with less pedigree then he, who is also younger, becoming the coach..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    People said the same thing about Kries at the the end of 2007. Look how that turned out.
    Kreis was a former player and therefore knew RSL intimitely. That's not the case with Nelsen. Also, they obviously took a chance. Have you ever hired people before? Sometimes you'd probably take a risk on a guy with ZERO experience, but would you take that risk every single time? Or do you just not value experience? I'm puzzled by your comment on this thing. TFC have hired inexperienced coaches like 7-8 times, and every time we failed. Now we're trying it one more time. Every single time I hear Peter Kreis' name thrown around as if that proves that experience is not needed to be successful in football. Of course it isn't. But lack of experience should NEVER trump experience - if you can find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    People said the same thing about Kries at the the end of 2007. Look how that turned out.

Kreis was a former player and therefore knew RSL intimitely. That's not the case with Nelsen. Also, they obviously took a chance. Have you ever hired people before? Sometimes you'd probably take a risk on a guy with ZERO experience, but would you take that risk every single time? Or do you just not value experience? I'm puzzled by your comment on this thing. TFC have hired inexperienced coaches like 7-8 times, and every time we fail. In fact, it seems like it's the lack of experience that kicks us in the ass every time as well. It's our #1 problem: lack of experience. Every single time I hear Peter Kreis' name thrown around as if that proves that experience is not needed to be successful in football. Of course it isn't absolutely needed. But lack of experience should not be equal to experience - or even trump it.

I'm willing to give the guy a chance, but if it doesn't work then I'll blame the inexperience - yet again. And then I hope it'll be the last time I have to hear about Peter Kreis when we once again move for another name with ZERO coaching experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was evident at the conclusion of last season that Mariner wasn't likely to lead our club to success moving forward, and in that sense, I'm relieved that Payne pulled the trigger now as opposed to feeling obliged to start the season with Mariner.

I would have preferred a proven coach as well, but as OT mentioned, it's not as if there are an abundance of proven MLS coaches lining up to manage TFC given our troubled history.

I do think that Nelsen has the characteristics necessary to evolve into a quality leader and a motivator, but make no mistake, this is a risky maneuver in terms of garnering positive results in the short term.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    I would like this move if he was coming in as the ASSISTANT COACH. The guy will still have the jitteries to play week in and week out and its hard coming so recently from such a high level to then watch your lower class players struggle and literally want to get into that game and help.. Also Frings is older then him...

bahahha What will Torsten think of a player with less pedigree then he, who is also younger, becoming the coach..........
    Frings will still be a professional? It's not like Nelsen's resume blows. Years of exp in EPL plus played in a WC. Plus Frings is gone after this season.

Important thing is that any player who joins TFC will likely to have respect for Nelsen, at least as a player.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Detractors of this move have little to stand on.

An unknown quantity is always better than a sure misfire.

If one wants to be down on this move because its not good enough little would appease them at this point. Anyone brought in now wouldn't have enough time...blah, blah, blah.

I look forward to what this young coach can do.

For an entire season, please.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER