Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Sounds like Devos is having a meltdown because he has his badges and Nelsen didn't have to get them to get a job.
    De Vos makes a good point.... if QPR looking for replacement the price will be over inflated because Nelsen named coach of TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    De Vos makes a good point.... if QPR looking for replacement the price will be over inflated because Nelsen named coach of TFC.
    That's common knowledge, buying in Jan is often referred to as panic buying. Other teams knows you're desperate and don't have much time and will inflate their price accordingly. Fergie although he has himself bought in the past in Jan does not like doing it for that very reason and has publicly stated that in the past.The real reason teams will make QPR pay over the odds is that their chariman has money and has shown he isn't afraid to use it. 2 classic examples of paying way over the odds in Jan are Torres and Carroll. Newcastle knew Liverpool had money and needed a striker asap after selling Torres and got 35 mil for a player who would struggle in the mls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Devos is having a meltdown because he has his badges and Nelsen didn't have to get them to get a job.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here we go...

Surely there was someone else to hire.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=413260

Just when we thought everything was going in the Right direction.

Not so fast!

FFS!!!!

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New TFC slogan: Making disasters before it even happens.

Seriously this has potential failure written all over, kind of feel he is setup for failure even with Payne involved. Comming late June with half the season done feels like his "on the job learning" is going to be set back by another full season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    New TFC slogan: Making disasters before it even happens.

Seriously this has potential failure written all over, kind of feel he is setup for failure even with Payne involved. Comming late June with half the season done feels like his "on the job learning" is going to be set back by another full season.
    Hondurian MF back out of deal, this going to fail period.

Harry will do something and this deal will fall thru.

Interim coach

MLSE = EPIC fail

Just a marriage made in heaven or H#!!

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    right, so does Devos have a problem that Sam Allardyce didn't get his coaching badges? What about Roy Hodgson? Alex Ferguson? Martin O'Neill, Harry Redknapp and Sir Bobby Robson? What about Edgar Davids at Barnet? Did these people ruin it for everyone else who got their coaching badges? Devos comes off as very bitter because Nelsen didn't have to jump through the hoops that he did.

How about a real response?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Devos is really starting to piss me off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GlenM View Post
    Here we go...

Not so fast!

FFS!!!!

GlenM
    Nelson still under contract at QPR, Burke staying on as advisor.

So when looking at MLSE in the past week, their major moves can be summed up like this:

They've hired a guy who isn't going to show up for work and they've fired a guy who isn't actually leaving.

You couldn't dream this stuff up. We're f*d.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats why i untwittered devos,rollins,molinaro,im bored with there shit..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    Nelson still under contract at QPR, Burke staying on as advisor.

So when looking at MLSE in the past week, their major moves can be summed up like this:

They've hired a guy who isn't going to show up for work and they've fired a guy who isn't actually leaving.

You couldn't dream this stuff up. We're f*d.
    it cant get any worse then a 0and 9 start or a winless in 14 can it?
    bottomline we need better players....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right, so does Devos have a problem that Sam Allardyce didn't get his coaching badges? What about Roy Hodgson? Alex Ferguson? Martin O'Neill, Harry Redknapp and Sir Bobby Robson? What about Edgar Davids at Barnet? Did these people ruin it for everyone else who got their coaching badges? Devos comes off as very bitter because Nelsen didn't have to jump through the hoops that he did.

How about a real response?
    Do you honestly expect me to think that because a few exceptions to the rule exist that the usefulness of having licenses/badges is diminished? That is ridiculous and barely worth more than the Picard facepalm that you got.

Also, to suggest that De Vos is having a meltdown because someone else without badges got a job is equally ridiculous. Agree with him or not, but give him a little credit. He is knee deep in helping to promote/develope the LTDP which is designed to improve coaching across Canada. He is well educated on the process and value of the badges.

To suggest that those courses are completely without value because a number of famous coaches succeeded without them is absurd. I will not contend that they are absolutely necessary, but to say they are a detriment is well beyond the pale of reason.

So once again:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, seems like his bitterness is growing on a daily basis.

I'd love to see Canadians running the show as much as everybody else but I don't see any strong candidates at this point. Maybe you can argue we aren't grooming people so they are in a position to take the next step, but as fully qualified head coaches? I don't see anyone who would compare favorably to Ryan Nelsen.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I'd love to see Canadians running the show as much as everybody else but I don't see any strong candidates at this point. Maybe you can argue we aren't grooming people so they are in a position to take the next step, but as fully qualified head coaches? I don't see anyone who would compare favorably to Ryan Nelsen.
    KEEM-O-SABI (RPB) for TFC head coach!

problem solved.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    I'd love to hear the training camp updates led by our NCAA Div 3 coach. It'll be comedy gold. GOLD. And BTW-- it's not up to me to turn this ship around. It's up to the GM and the MLSE.

A sucker no more.
    So bad mouthing from a distance until you see a winner makes you not a sucker? Alright. Your opinion is well noted, "Toronto".

I'm not sure what else I was expecting from the email. I expected positivity and hope for the season and got it. The appreciation towards the club and support is mutual to an extent but I didn't take offense at it. I don't get why one would. They can't hand us wins in advance...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    KEEM-O-SABI (RPB) for TFC head coach!

problem solved.

Irny. Keemo is 'Murican.

I understand the confusion tho. We love him like our own and he's done more for footy here than most of us.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you honestly expect me to think that because a few exceptions to the rule exist that the usefulness of having licenses/badges is diminished? That is ridiculous and barely worth more than the Picard facepalm that you got.

Also, to suggest that De Vos is having a meltdown because someone else without badges got a job is equally ridiculous. Agree with him or not, but give him a little credit. He is knee deep in helping to promote/develope the LTDP which is designed to improve coaching across Canada. He is well educated on the process and value of the badges.

To suggest that those courses are completely without value because a number of famous coaches succeeded without them is absurd. I will not contend that they are absolutely necessary, but to say they are a detriment is well beyond the pale of reason.

So once again:

I've never said it was detriment, please show me where I've said that. I do think freak out because someone doesn't have their badges is ludicrous. And that is what the media and some supporters are currently doing.

Jason Kreis@JasonKreis
    @AlexiLalas From one with USSF "A" License: it does not matter! Welcome to Ryan Nelsen - and good luck!

A few??

Sam Allardyce
    Jimmy Armfield
    Len Ashurst
    Ron Atkinson
    Alan Ball
    Dave Bassett
    Ian Branfoot
    Michael Buckley
    George Burley
    Mick Buxton
    Frank Clark
    Steve Clark
    Arthur Cox
    Alan Curbishley
    Sir Alex Ferguson
    Brian Flynn
    Gerry Francis
    Trevor Francis
    Barry Fry
    Bobby Gould
    Dario Gradi
    George Graham
    Billy Hamilton
    Ray Harford
    Trevor Hartley
    Glenn Hoddle
    Roy Hodgson
    Brian Horton
    Don Howe
    Kevin Keegan
    Joe Kinnear
    Lennie Lawrence
    Brian Little
    Lou Macari
    Roy McFarland
    Colin Murphy
    Martin O'Neill
    David Pleat
    Harry Redknapp
    Peter Reid
    Bruce Rioch
    Sir Bobby Robson
    Joe Royle
    John Rudge
    Dave Sexton
    Denis Smith
    Jim Smith
    Walter Smith
    Graeme Souness
    Graham Turner
    Graham Taylor
    Terry Venables
    John Ward
    Neil Warnock
    Danny Wilson
    Paul Smith
    Micky Adams
    Keith Alexander
    Kevan Broadhurst
    Steve Bruce
    Chris Coleman
    Andy Hessenthaler
    Glyn Hodges
    Ian Holloway
    Paul Jewell
    Andy King
    Gary McAllister
    Gary Megson
    Ronnie Moore
    Mike Newell
    Rob Newman
    David O'Leary
    Andy Preece
    Peter Reid
    Steve McClaren
    Mick Tait
    Last edited by Greatest Ripoff; 01-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    So bad mouthing from a distance until you see a winner makes you not a sucker? Alright. Your opinion is well noted, "Toronto".

I'm not sure what else I was expecting from the email. I expected positivity and hope for the season and got it. The appreciation towards the club and support is mutual to an extent but I didn't take offense at it. I don't get why one would. They can't hand us wins in advance...

Pete personally it's this part that I find offensive.

"The commitment and dedication of the management team, the world-class facilities, and the support from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment make this club a beacon for others in the league."

yes Payne has come but it hasn't washed away the bad taste left by years of mismanagement. only time and progress can do that.
    if we are a beacon it's to warn other teams of what can happen without proper stewardship.

there's no reason to send a message like this. a simple greeting and hope for the future would have done a lot more, not marketing propaganda. this was written by someone that is trying to impress their boss and doesn't give a shit about who it's going to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GlenM View Post
    Here we go...

Not so fast!

FFS!!!!

GlenM
    Who Knows so many people talking????

plume_d'alouette 1 hour ago

I heard he is leaving qpr right now, and that he has unbelievable coaching mind. He really helped NZ in the worldcup somaybe you guys should wait before judging him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Devos is really starting to piss me off.
    He's been using the "maple leaf factor" to promote himself since he retired from playing.
    He was very obviously angling for the President job, which Payne ultimately got.
    Then he was pushing for a Canadian to take the head coaching job (he mentioned Daso, which obviously wouldn't happen, but surprise * surprise * DeVos also happens to have his badges).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never said it was detriment, please show me where I've said that. I do think freak out because someone doesn't have their badges is ludicrous. And that is what the media and some supporters are currently doing.

Jason Kreis@JasonKreis
    @AlexiLalas From one with USSF "A" License: it does not matter! Welcome to Ryan Nelsen - and good luck!
    Sorry, I thought it was you arguing that earlier. Anyway, I would call that list a 'few' if you were to compare it to the list of coaches that tried and failed without their badges and the list of coaches who have them and have succeeded.

Anyway, did you listen to the whole bit on TFC? I thought they made many good points about the hire. De Vos even admitted that leadership is more important than badges, right off the top. But his points about the badges were excellent and I never took his position as one coming from envy, as you did suggest.

Finally, if you are going to listen to Alexi Lalas over Jason De Vos, well I guess we will have to part ways there.... I have a very low opinion of Lalas.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hold an OSA amateur coaching badge.

I don't know how the pro badges differ, but the focus for the amateur badge was on how to teach players.
    That's very useful, but doesn't make one a winning coach in and of itself. If the pro badges are similar, then it would be only one factor in making a good coach.

It's like a high school teaching certificate. It means you've been taught how to handle a group of 30-odd students and how to manage workflow. It doesn't mean you actually know what you are talking about, and I'm sure most of us have had a teacher or two that didn't.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My concern for Nelsen actually isn't with the lack of badges. I think that the lack of coaching experience is a much bigger issue. It's partially made up for by being captain of so many teams, but every coach who was a former player will tell you that it's difficult when you start to know how to translate your playing skills into coaching ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Stephen Hart is more qualified than Nelsen and he has better knowledge in our region than Nelsen. It will interesting to see what Hart can do with players who can finish their chances. Unlike Nelsen and Payne, Hart has knowledge on Canadian soccer landscape which is important because TFC success is going to lie on Canadian soccer players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason Kreis@JasonKreis

A few??
    Now that I think of it. Why are you showing us that list? Where did I say that it was impossible for a coach to succeed without the badges and furthermore that it had never happened before. I don't get your point there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally, if you are going to listen to Alexi Lalas over Jason De Vos, well I guess we will have to part ways there.... I have a very low opinion of Lalas.

That wasn't a tweet from Lalas, it was to Lalas from Jason Kreis. Kreis was saying that as someone who has a badge and has won an MLS cup it isn't that important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I think of it. Why are you showing us that list? Where did I say that it was impossible for a coach to succeed without the badges and furthermore that it had never happened before. I don't get your point there.

The point is, that it doesn't matter if you have your badges or not and people like Devos should not thinking the entire world of coaching is going to be destroyed because someone without their badge is getting a professional coaching job. As I pointed out, it is not uncommon for ex players to go straight into coaching without their badges and succeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is, that it doesn't matter if you have your badges or not and people like Devos should not thinking the entire world of coaching is going to be destroyed because someone without their badge is getting a professional coaching job. As I pointed out, it is not uncommon for ex players to go straight into coaching without their badges and succeed.
    "entire world of coaching is going to be destroyed" - that is a bit of an overstatement and not anything he said or alluded to.

"it is not uncommon for ex players to go straight into coaching without their badges and succeed" - does that mean it is preferable that they do not have their badges? Otherwise, I do not get your point. The IKEA monkey could succeed at coaching TFC, but it is less likely than a human succeeding when viewed at the outset of their being hired. Nelsen could turn out to be the next Bill Shankly. But, from the outset it seems less likely that he would compared to someone who has had training.

I simply cannot accept that it is better that someone has no training when entering a new field or profession. Is it possible that they can still succeed? To be sure. But is it more likely to be a success than someone with training? I doubt it.

We are talking about the optics of the hire. We cannot measure success until he starts. People seem to be saying that it is better that he has no badges. I still cannot fathom why that is counted as a plus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I simply cannot accept that it is better that someone has no training when entering a new field or profession.
    I have never once said it was better not to have badges, that is twice now that you have said that. I don't think coaching badges are a valid point to get caught up on. Badges or not, some coaches succeed and some fail. If you look at the numbers there seems to be no correlation between success and coaching badges. I am not saying Nelsen will be a success, but I am saying you can't automatically say he will be a failure because he doesn't have badges.