Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES! Best news in a while, outside of having Payne hired.

I am slightly worried about Nelsen's lack of management experience and am unsure about his knowledge of the league having left so long ago, but Payne does seem to have an eye for management talent with his appointment of Olsen (and it appears Nowak too based on what the article said).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I am too, to be honest. TFC has never hired anyone with previous senior team managerial experience outside of MoJo's few games at RBNY. But such is my distate for Mariner that I'm glad he's being replaced (and I have tended to advocate stability at the position, so that says a lot).

NEXT: Earl Cochrane!
    Last edited by Lucky Strike; 01-07-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SBI - Nelsen to be named new Head Coach of TFC

as per SBI, Nelsen to be named new head coach - Mariner on his way out...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/breaking-tfc-set-to-name-nelsen-new-head-coach.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Mariner out but not sure of Nelsen's coaching credentials. Amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

danceparty.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@JohnMolinaro: A source just confirmed to me what Ives first reported. Ryan Nelsen has been hired as the new #TFC coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    ^I am too, to be honest. TFC has never hired anyone with previous senior team managerial experience outside of MoJo's few games at RBNY. But such is my distate for Mariner that I'm glad he's being replaced (and I have tended to advocate stability at the position, so that says a lot).

NEXT: Earl Cochrane!
    False.

We had Preki. He had MLS experience before TFC. No one else did except MoJo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro has tweeted the same.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Best. News. Ever.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd rather have the Ikea Monkey running the team than Mariner... wait - they've never been seen together have they ? Hmm... I wonder...
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This makes no sense to me at all, as much as Paul Mariner being fired is a great late Christmas present....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its party time!!!! I want to go down to BMO and dance naked as promised

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not suprised.
    Good job Payne !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow piss poor move. The guy has no coaching experience. Im glad mariner is on his way out, but this better not be a long term move. I hope we have a true head coach coming, because he won't be the one to lead us long term.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this explains Mariner's silence as he must have known something like this is coming for a while.

Ryan Nelsen looks to be Kevin Payne's next Ben Olsen project, except Nelsen has better playing pedigree. Looks to be similar character though. Captains New Zealand and also at DC, Blackburn and was QPR's vice captain. At least Nelsen won't take guff and gives a shit about result in the field, if anyone saw QPR in 1st half season this year when Nelsen was like the only guy who gave a damn on the pitch.

Also, don't expect playoffs this year as KP is clearly looking for rebuilding. He gave Ben Olsen 3 years to make the playoffs, and likely will be patient with Ryan Nelsen to learn the ropes of MLS as well.
    Last edited by Yohan; 01-07-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I guess I have no choice but to be on board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    YES! Best news in a while, outside of having Payne hired.

I am slightly worried about Nelsen's lack of management experience and am unsure about his knowledge of the league having left so long ago, but Payne does seem to have an eye for management talent with his appointment of Olsen (and it appears Nowak too based on what the article said).
    Yep, little concerning about his experience but I think the young managerial candidates bring a lot to the table these days. I really think it's the way to go as opposed to re-treading some MLS 1.0 hire.

The best of the old crop have adapted and still have jobs. The worst have fallen off and it doesn't look like they are becoming more effective with additional kicks at the can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Wow piss poor move. The guy has no coaching experience. Im glad mariner is on his way out, but this better not be a long term move. I hope we have a true head coach coming, because he won't be the one to lead us long term.
    People said the same thing about Kries at the the end of 2007. Look how that turned out.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I trust Payne in this area. As the article points out, he gave Peter Nowak and Ben Olsen their starts.

Several observations:

(1) While I would prefer someone with a lot of MLS experience, clearly no one with experience would come to a club with the reputation of TFC, and TFC's infamy as the "worst club in the world" means that the bad reputation is world-wide.

(2) Payne is clearly now in charge and putting in his own people. He knows Nelsen well, so has a good idea of what he brings to the table.

(3) I expect Paul Mariner to be totally gone. The original plan looked like it was to have PM mentor Nelsen and then PM to be kicked upstairs. I think he didn't go with the plan and now he finds himself out of a job.

I am very pleased with what I am seeing, both in player acquisitions, and (now) with the coaching change.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing news. they could of replaced Mariner with a 5 year old and they would do a better job with this team than Mariner.

TFC has found a proper footy president, dropped ticket prices back to year one and fired Mariner. Hit all three wishes on my wishlist for the offseason!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yep, I am eager to have this confirmed! BTW, would Nelsen still be a player-coach, as was initially mentioned, or would he now solely be in a managerial role? Yes, it's a bit concerning (his lack of experience) but it also is a new direction - at least he's not some retread. That in itself is a refreshing change. If he's half as successful as Olsen's been so far, I'll be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic news. Brick Top is gone!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing news. they could of replaced Mariner with a 5 year old and they would do a better job with this team than Mariner.

TFC has found a proper footy president, dropped ticket prices back to year one and fired Mariner. Hit all three wishes on my wishlist for the offseason!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I posted in the other thread, but the initial speculation was that Nelsen would come in as a player-coach. Now with this latest development, does that mean he'll focus solely on managerial duties?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good riddance - I'll not miss his antics at all

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious to see this confirmed but its looking more and more solid.

I know Mariner was back in NE during some critical moves, so that alone made me scratch my head a bit.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC United family reunion - rongen coached nelsen at DC while Payne was president, I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy to see Mariner go. Nothing personal. I just don't think he's right for us. Best of luck to him!

Ryan Nelsen? Sure, why not. We've become known to be the club that hires head coaches with little to ZERO coaching experience at the top level. I only hope that this is the one time where doing the same thing doesn't have the same outcome.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daner90 View Post

I heard you the first time.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha