Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    He has.
    I think he needs to shift from the "contend for playoffs" language which makes it sound like it's still a possibility. Improve by 20 points would be a better goal to communicate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    Seems to me that some people just really, really want to believe in this guy contrary to a great deal of evidence. Perhaps it is the six years of failure and all the negativity it has brought just boiling up into this irresistable need to be positive no matter the evidence or circumstance. I don't know. All I know is I cannot understand the optimism about this choice at all and it seems very forced to me.

I'll be first in line to support him and cheer on our team this year, but I do not understand this choice. Perhaps if it wasn't one of the worst PR presentations in history I would. But I don't.

The points in his favour appear to be:

- we heard he was a good leader
    - he plays at the highest level
    - he used to play in the MLS (7+ years ago)
    - he watched some great coaches do their jobs
    - he won't break his contract with QPR, ergo he is of great character and full of honour.
    - he has never damaged his coaching ability by getting his badges/licenses etc. (still wowing about this one)

Have I missed any other points in his favour? Because that list still seems a little weak to me. I'm not saying he can't do it, but I am saying it does not look good on paper.
    Payne moved very early to snap up Nelson as it is well known that he was looking to go into management, and plenty of teams would be genuinely interested in him, not just in mls but Australia and UK.As I said in another post, the press conference was a bit of a farce as Nelson couldn't say much at this stage as he is still legally contracted to QPR. Reading between the lines he'd be here tomorrow if he and QPR could work out an agreement on release from his contract.I think 100% this will happen, Redknapp will get someone in this month, as Nelson has publicly stated he is playing on "glass knees" and when you are fighting for your lives as QPR are, I don't think you'd want that. Also players who know they are retiring or moving at the end of season aren't as foscussed as people who know they will be at QPR next season. Not a criticism of him just human nature.I applaud Payne for moving early on this, might have been a wee bit too early but if he had of waited we may not have got him. Also worth noting, Nelson apparently has taken an active role in helping with coaching at clubs he has played for ie youth teams etc, so this is something he has definetly been planning

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The rollout of Anselmi to Leaf Nation has been the most amusing thing that's happened over the last 2 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I love how that thread title was phrased in the form of a question. ie. Could Tom Anslemi be a problem? So naive.
    Yeah, vintage Tom all the way, along with the usual platitudes and dodging questions. We knew that Leafs fans were in for a huge shock, and sure enough they are.

I love this quote from the thread...
    So they fire a GM, for reasons which aren't entirely clear, and everyone here jumps to the conclusion that they are meddlers and will be sticking their noses into hockey decisions? One firing does not mean they are going to try to micro-manage everything about the hockey team and people really need to get a grip and wait to see how everything plays out.
    how little you know.

The interesting question is, how long will Anselmi last now that he's in the intense Leafs media spotlight instead of the backwater of soccer operations, before he gets the proverbial multi-million dollar golden handshake? But that's a topic for another thread.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-10-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ The interview he did with McClown yesterday was interesting. Bob basically called him on the idea that this was motivated by performance, anselmi was squirming all the way through and had to be saved by Damien Cox of all people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The part I don't understand about the past few days is this:

1) Payne hires a guy who has no coaching experience. ML$E are gushing over the fact that Payne has built championships in the past and if he says it's ok, then they have the utmost confidence and trust.
    2) Burke is a guy that has built near and actual Stanley Cup winning teams that they stated THE EXACT SAME THING about confidence and trust. Where did the trust go?

This must be the "cyclical part of sports" that Tommy was talking about no?

All I know for sure, Mr. Colangelo is probably NOT taking any calls today.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Payne should be dampening expectations between now and the start of the season. Realistically, we need a 30 point turnaround over last year to make the playoffs. No team in MLS had a 30 point turnaround last year. So playoffs are not going to happen. Maybe set sights a 38-40 points or something doable.
    I want TFC to be a competitive team. We should be going into every game as a realistic bet to win or even tie the game. If this can happen, we won't have to worry about how many points we could potentially get by year end. It will just happen. I'd rather see us in playoff contention, doesn't matter if it means 24 pt or 60pt, we should be fighting with at least mid table teams.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...-addition.html

Paul Gardner muses on Nelsen. He's not impressed
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    The part I don't understand about the past few days is this:

1) Payne hires a guy who has no coaching experience. ML$E are gushing over the fact that Payne has built championships in the past and if he says it's ok, then they have the utmost confidence and trust.
    2) Burke is a guy that has built near and actual Stanley Cup winning teams that they stated THE EXACT SAME THING about confidence and trust. Where did the trust go?

Not sure if this is serious? Payne has been on the job for two months and the team has yet had an opportunity to play a match while the Leafs have had 5 season under Burke where they haven't made the playoffs. I would expect if Payen was still in charge in 5 years and Toronto still hasn't made the playoffs they will fire him as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

"But we have seen plenty of Nelsen as a player, and I find this a much more worrying aspect. Watching him play for Stanford U, D.C. United, Blackburn Rovers and lately Queens Park Rangers, I can seriously ask myself whether I have ever seen Nelsen smiling on the field. I mean, does this guy always have to snarl? Does he like playing, or is it the snarling that he enjoys?

A trivial point? No, not at all."

Definitely a great reason not hire him...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The rollout of Anselmi to Leaf Nation has been the most amusing thing that's happened over the last 2 days.
    LOL, agreed.

As fans and journalists alike rolled their eyes in disbelief and shook their heads in disgust at the complete and utter BS that was being shoved down their throats during that complete farce of a press conference, all I did was experience an inexplicable sense of deja vu.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Luckily you won't have to witness it with you just showing up for Playoffs until the team folds...

And like I said, There's football at Lamport. That's closer to BMO than North York if your too frustrated with all things MLSE.

It's been presented pretty clearly that Payne has a better history at finding new coaching talent than anyone else previously in our organization. If you don't approve of trying new coaching talent I'd have to ask who is it with experience that we missed that would want to come here?

Saying that he has a better track record as a soccer professional than anyone else in our organisation isn't saying much.

I guess I should put you in the camp of being a huge fan of NCAA div 3 coaches running pro practices (until June at least) . SO give me some updates of the professional NEW atmosphere at the training center. Maybe Sir Fran O’Leary can find some gems playing in NCAA div 3 as he's also the "director of player recruitment" or at least bring some that Bedowian College swag and pass some of it along to the players like Frings or Koevermans. "Hey you guys should be tying your laces under your shoe" or "Hey, I realize you guys haven't played DIV 3 NCAA, but we pass the like this" or " Take it easy, you guys are playing to fast for me to understand what's going on"

And you have a point. With this roster, save 4-5 players, who would want to come here. So if a guy with ZERO coaching experience and a guy with only NCAA div 3 experience is the way out. There is NO hope.

And will be JUNE. BTW
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/10/qpr-ryan-nelsen-relegation

However, the player's contract at QPR runs until 30 June and Redknapp is determined that Nelsen stays until the team have guaranteed their survival or, as is looking more likely, are relegated to the Championship.
    QPR remain bottom of the Premier League having won only two of 21 fixtures, albeit the most recent being last week's 1-0 victory at Chelsea, and Nelsen has been one of their few impressive performers since arriving on a free transfer in June.
    Redknapp can ill afford to lose the New Zealand international at such a critical stage of the campaign, particularly as he has just had a £5m bid for the Sweden centre-back Jonas Olsson rejected by West Bromwich Albion, and will make that clear to Nelsen shortly after QPR host Tottenham on Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by Toronto; 01-10-2013 at 03:52 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make up your mind. Do you want to be updated in training or wait till playoffs?

You still haven't offered any great description on the alternatives out there.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody who is torqued about the "problem" of Nelsen not showing up until he is released, here is my suggestion: just don't pay attention until he shows up. No biggie. It's a rebuilding year anyway. Watch hockey until then.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington red View Post
    payne moved very early to snap up nelson as it is well known that he was looking to go into management, and plenty of teams would be genuinely interested in him, not just in mls but australia and uk.as i said in another post, the press conference was a bit of a farce as nelson couldn't say much at this stage as he is still legally contracted to qpr. Reading between the lines he'd be here tomorrow if he and qpr could work out an agreement on release from his contract.i think 100% this will happen, redknapp will get someone in this month, as nelson has publicly stated he is playing on "glass knees" and when you are fighting for your lives as qpr are, i don't think you'd want that. Also players who know they are retiring or moving at the end of season aren't as foscussed as people who know they will be at qpr next season. Not a criticism of him just human nature.i applaud payne for moving early on this, might have been a wee bit too early but if he had of waited we may not have got him. Also worth noting, nelson apparently has taken an active role in helping with coaching at clubs he has played for ie youth teams etc, so this is something he has definetly been planning
    bingo!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    "But we have seen plenty of Nelsen as a player, and I find this a much more worrying aspect. Watching him play for Stanford U, D.C. United, Blackburn Rovers and lately Queens Park Rangers, I can seriously ask myself whether I have ever seen Nelsen smiling on the field. I mean, does this guy always have to snarl? Does he like playing, or is it the snarling that he enjoys?

A trivial point? No, not at all."

Definitely a great reason not hire him...
    All the years that Danny Dichio played, he always had a snarl and never smiled on the field.

Off the field? One of the nicest, kindest guys I ever had the pleasure to meet.

I don't care if Nelsen is hardcore as a player, in fact I prefer it.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm trying to give him a chance but that email that just arrived. oy vey!

stop with the "wonderful management" and MLSE lines! it's really getting on my nerves.

vent over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    i'm trying to give him a chance but that email that just arrived. oy vey!

stop with the "wonderful management" and MLSE lines! it's really getting on my nerves.

vent over.
    My favourite part:

"I have admired the passion and loyalty of the TFC supporters since the team began play in 2007. The commitment and dedication of the management team, the world-class facilities, and the support from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment make this club a beacon for others in the league."

A warning beacon perhaps...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite part:

"I have admired the passion and loyalty of the TFC supporters since the team began play in 2007. The commitment and dedication of the management team, the world-class facilities, and the support from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment make this club a beacon for others in the league."

A warning beacon perhaps...
    I know he's only saying what they tell him and this was written by somebody else..... but please stop pissing on my back and tell me it's raining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has been a long time since I posted, but I need to vent. My favourity part is that the '...team will match the passion and dedication of our fans...' .

I guess since I have a full time job away from TFC, it is only fair that they do as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Not sure if this is serious? Payne has been on the job for two months and the team has yet had an opportunity to play a match while the Leafs have had 5 season under Burke where they haven't made the playoffs. I would expect if Payen was still in charge in 5 years and Toronto still hasn't made the playoffs they will fire him as well.
    Oh god not serious here. I'm just making fun at the "we have the utmost confidence...." that drivvles out of Tommy every time there's a new big cheese.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Make up your mind. Do you want to be updated in training or wait till playoffs?

You still haven't offered any great description on the alternatives out there.
    I'd love to hear the training camp updates led by our NCAA Div 3 coach. It'll be comedy gold. GOLD. And BTW-- it's not up to me to turn this ship around. It's up to the GM and the MLSE.

A sucker no more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

I'm not too enthusiastic personally about the Nelsen hiring. But that article is a pile of crock. So because Nelsen played defense, he'll automatically select an overly defensive style as a coach? And I suppose that's why Preki employed such a daring & attacking style of footy when he became a coach?

Plus, Gardner is drawing clues about Nelsen's coaching from the fact that he grimaces & snarls while he's playing? When everyone says that Nelsen is a consummate professional, and quite personable & funny off the field? Sounds like that article was written by a People magazine journalist...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article in the UK Guardian doesn't sound too promising on the timing.

"Redknapp is determined that Nelsen stays until the team have guaranteed their survival or, as is looking more likely, are relegated to the Championship."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...sen-relegation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems more likely that Nelsen will not join the club for several more weeks at the very least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm not too enthusiastic personally about the Nelsen hiring. But that article is a pile of crock. So because Nelsen played defense, he'll automatically select an overly defensive style as a coach? And I suppose that's why Preki employed such a daring & attacking style of footy when he became a coach?

Plus, Gardner is drawing clues about Nelsen's coaching from the fact that he grimaces & snarls while he's playing? When everyone says that Nelsen is a consummate professional, and quite personable & funny off the field? Sounds like that article was written by a People magazine journalist...
    I'm not sure what the hell this has to do with anything? As you said crap article...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman and Jason De Vos have a great discussion about the Ryan Nelsen hiring in the first 10-15 minutes of their TSN FC podcast yesterday. I agree with them 100%.

Well worth a listen:

http://www2.tsn.ca/podcasts/tsn1050fc.xml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBrace View Post
    I'm not sure what the hell this has to do with anything? As you said crap article...
    Oh fuck, he also wears shorts while he's playing. What does that say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    And Guardiola, Rijkaard, and frank de Boer's (three coaches that i can think of who played defensive positions) sides must all be known for their hard working, defensive styles according to his logic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman and Jason De Vos have a great discussion about the Ryan Nelsen hiring in the first 10-15 minutes of their TSN FC podcast yesterday. I agree with them 100%.

Well worth a listen:

http://www2.tsn.ca/podcasts/tsn1050fc.xml
    Sounds like Devos is having a meltdown because he has his badges and Nelsen didn't have to get them to get a job.