0 Thread(s)

Can't believe I didn't get the job!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It was evident at the conclusion of last season that Mariner wasn't likely to lead our club to success moving forward, and in that sense, I'm relieved that Payne pulled the trigger now as opposed to feeling obliged to start the season with Mariner.

I would have preferred a proven coach as well, but as OT mentioned, it's not as if there are an abundance of proven MLS coaches lining up to manage TFC given our troubled history.

I do think that Nelsen has the characteristics necessary to evolve into a quality leader and a motivator, but make no mistake, this is a risky maneuver in terms of garnering positive results in the short term.
    This is a long term move. For people expecting Nelsen to deliver immediate success is likely not going to happen.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is massive pressure on Payne. This is now his team. A guy with everything on the line would not be making this move lightly.

Also really like what Harry Redknapp had to say about Nelsen. Pretty high praise from a guy that knows his shit. I think he could be very good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Detractors of this move have little to stand on.

An unknown quantity is always better than a sure misfire.

If one wants to be down on this move because its not good enough little would appease them at this point. Anyone brought in now wouldn't have enough time...blah, blah, blah.

I look forward to what this young coach can do.

For an entire season, please.
    I have no ide is Nelsen will be successful. But one thing is sure, we've wanted a single person making the calls at TFC of who is in charge at TFC and let that person stay or go based on those decisions. We've wanted to see people in the club having clear and concise roles. TFC gave us that by hiring Payne. Payne is now building the out the coaching and other areas as he sees fit. We're getting wat many of us asked for. Time to get behind the people being put in place to take us forward.
    Last edited by Suds; 01-07-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Nelsen wear a suit on the sidelines...SUIT THERE IT IS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Can't believe I didn't get the job!
    You will, it's part of the SSH renewal package.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Have you ever hired people before? Sometimes you'd probably take a risk on a guy with ZERO experience
    I've been running a business for the past 10 years I have hired many people and none of them have had any experience in my field. But they have been all people I that I have known and knew what type of person they were. And in this case, Payne knows Nelsen and knows they type of person he is getting. From my experience, that cuts out a lot of the risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    looks like our new coach will be in better shape then the players are when camp starts..
    Sad, but probably true!

Hopefully that can rub off on the team tho... be a motivating factor for players.

I would imagine it could get embarrassing to repeatedly get beat by your coach in training!
    Last edited by gdg_9; 01-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed Yohan, but I fear that this fan base is fragile at this point, and I don't think it can withstand another embarrassing season with a rookie manager learning on the job. At the very least, TFC has to display tangible progress as the season wears on and finish with some momentum. Another lost season that finishes with a wimper would be catastrophic.

That being said, I have the utmost confidence in Payne, and I know that he is hiring a known quantity from his perspective. I just hope it pays dividends sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 01-07-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    This is a long term move. For people expecting Nelsen to deliver immediate success is likely not going to happen.
    Really, who could deliver for this club short term?

Moves notwithstanding the roster is still an unmitigated disaster. We're spending way too much on injury prone DPs, too much for a couple of so-so defenders, and generally giving USL quality players the illusion they belong in a better league than they do. I don't think anything is going to save us from having a bad year.

Mariner and Cochrane extended players they shouldn't have and tied up resources that makes it hard for the next person in the door to do their job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, yes and yes, nothing else to say!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    I'd rather have the Ikea Monkey running the team than Mariner... wait - they've never been seen together have they ? Hmm... I wonder...
    No way in hell - the Ikea monkey dresses way more professionally than Mariner ever did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CP24 is saying Mariner was fired. lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really liked Nelsen as a player, strong defender!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we run out of players, we have a better option than our equipment guy to lace 'em up and step in. I like the way Payne thinks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    When we run out of players, we have a better option than our equipment guy to lace 'em up and step in. I like the way Payne thinks.
    Hey now! That only happened once and we actually WON that game didn't we?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny Dichio should have been hired.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the press conference, I hope somebody asks them folks about these Hundurians we been hearing about... And PM's magical time in Scandanavia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen captained the only undefeated team at WC2010. For that reason alone, Nelsen has my support even if he starts 0-18.

But then I didn't renew.

(Seriously, the hire makes sense. He doesn't know MLS but that's Payne's job. The real risk is that he'll be gone back to England quickly if he has a moderate level of success. But those are problems it'd be nice to have.

Nice to see TFC, and MLS, not be the Last Chance Saloon - for an example of that see Montreal's hire today - but instead be a natural landing spot for someone on the way up)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-07-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always admired Nelson as a player. Extremely professional. He's been QPR's player of the season so far, without doubt. It will be a pity if he's hanging up his boots, but will also be an excellent training for the young guys we have in the squad.

I can't wait for the official announcement tomorrow, will be fascinating!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus fucking christ.

I don`t get this club. We change the man up top making the decisions, but the decisions stay the same. There is absolutely no fucking reason why Ryan Nelsen, Someone with absolutely no coaching experience whatsoever, should be our first fucking choice for a manager when the exact fucking thing we need is a proven, MLS, Winner. Just some fucking guidance,please.

Why is it that whenever there are problems with the team on the field, their first reaction is to throw money at it to sign players that, on face value, bring a lot of talent and experience to the team. BUT NO.NEVER. EVER. A COMPETENT FUCKING COACH.

Maybe Nelsen will turn out to be the second coming of Mourinho or Ferguson or whoever. Maybe this is the start of a dynasty. But this move is really (reaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy) uninspiring and frankly, to me at least, stinks of a lack of ambition. I guess we really are aiming to be just hovering around a playoff spot every year, just like they said.
    Last edited by maxpower; 01-07-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something else I am curious about is who will be Nelsen's assistant? I really doubt Brennan would be sticking around in that role? Promoting Rongen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those calling this the same old thing that MLSE has always done: There's a huge difference between Tom Anselmi - A building engineer for MLSE - hiring a guy with no previous experience, and Kevin Payne - an experienced a proven MLS executive - hiring a guy with no previous coaching experience. Besides that, unlike Anselmi, Payne will actually fully support his coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    CP24 is saying Mariner was fired. lol
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...lsen-as-coach/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Arry: “He’s just one of the best pros I’ve ever met in my life,” said Redknapp of a player he signed for Tottenham from Blackburn Rovers. “Fantastic player, great trainer, leader.

“He’s a massive part of your team. To lose him would be a massive blow for us.”

So, Nelsen has been helping with training at QPR?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was just mentioned on CTV news as being set to be announced tomorrow.

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Arry: “He’s just one of the best pros I’ve ever met in my life,” said Redknapp of a player he signed for Tottenham from Blackburn Rovers. “Fantastic player, great trainer, leader.

I think that probably means that he trains really well himself not that he is training others...IMO

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    For those calling this the same old thing that MLSE has always done: There's a huge difference between Tom Anselmi - A building engineer for MLSE - hiring a guy with no previous experience, and Kevin Payne - an experienced a proven MLS executive - hiring a guy with no previous coaching experience. Besides that, unlike Anselmi, Payne will actually fully support his coach
    for the love of god, this completely!!!!!!

This is right up Payne's alley, his did it with Olsen and Nowak

he obviously has certain things he looks for in these guys. Payne must see this in Nelson to hand his first appointment here to him.

I'm much more excited over someone like this then rehashing some MLS 1.0 reject with "experience" but does not know how to adapt their game to the modern incarnation of this league.
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually remember that 2010 New Zealand team quite well. They weren't supposed to get a point and they didn't lose a match! Fun show they were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't read in to that too much. Knowing 'Ol Harry he's probably just commenting on his work ethic in practice. He's been known to like work ethic. He's English after all.
    Last edited by maxpower; 01-07-2013 at 07:04 PM.