RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    welcome back
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we could potentially have 2 GA players from the draft, good prospects with no cap hit. Interesting for sure.

Dom

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes exactly, build with the draft and supplement with others. Try to stay away from the overpriced fuzzy foreigner journey-men.

and

COED GIRL
    Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.

The Dynasty Continues - RWN - Champions SoctoberFest! '11, GoTFC Supporters Cup '10. Indoor Cup '10, '09, Niagara Cup '08 & '09. Be Champions. 6 for 8 :)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    So we could potentially have 2 GA players from the draft, good prospects with no cap hit. Interesting for sure.

Dom
    only to be potentially screwed if the two GAs have big number contracts and end up graduating GA after one year... typically, they have 100k to 200k contracts. and the players end up not being worth the contract they are on (Jeremy Hall anyone?)

it's a risk drafting GAs. though on average, GA players graduate GA after 2 seasons. people tend to just look at immediate salary exemption and think GAs are a deal, but there is other side of the story.

in a lot of ways, I'd rather draft a more proven seniors with low cap hit contract (like Silva) because they are less of a gamble salary cap wise
    Last edited by Yohan; 01-04-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't follow how all the rules work so could you explain how a player graduates from GA?

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The GA players I understand don't count against a team's salary cap,however, who pays their salary, the league or the team,and is it a set salary, I'm hearing GA players make 100 000 to 200 000 is that right, and what is the length of a GA contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives rumor watch: apparently Ryan Nelsen is going to quit QPR to being coaching in MLS. Nelsen is tight with Kevin Payne so some are assuming it may be at TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Taylor Twellman tweeted it about 5 minutes before Ives....(hate Ives, don't want to give him credit for anything). The article says specifically he's going to DC United though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    I don't follow how all the rules work so could you explain how a player graduates from GA?

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    The GA players I understand don't count against a team's salary cap,however, who pays their salary, the league or the team,and is it a set salary, I'm hearing GA players make 100 000 to 200 000 is that right, and what is the length of a GA contract?
    Adidas funds GA, which is administered by MLS FO. generally players are signed to a GA contract for 3 years. however, players can 'graduate' from GA depending on how many first team mins a player gets. it is very arbitrary and it is done on case by case basis. however, generally if a GA player is seen as a regular first team guy, he graduates GA. again, another one of not so transparent MLS thing
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keem-o-sabi View Post
    Keep them comin Keemer . . now that the SSG is a subscription thingy. . .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ Taylor Twellman tweeted it about 5 minutes before Ives....(hate Ives, don't want to give him credit for anything). The article says specifically he's going to DC United though.
    Missed that TT tweet. Generally agree regarding Ives, I quit following him for a while, have to parse his bs from actual info that he occasionally gets a hold of. Goff asked Ben Olsen about this, he said "100% not coming to DCU."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    only to be potentially screwed if the two GAs have big number contracts and end up graduating GA after one year... typically, they have 100k to 200k contracts. and the players end up not being worth the contract they are on (Jeremy Hall anyone?)

it's a risk drafting GAs. though on average, GA players graduate GA after 2 seasons. people tend to just look at immediate salary exemption and think GAs are a deal, but there is other side of the story.

in a lot of ways, I'd rather draft a more proven seniors with low cap hit contract (like Silva) because they are less of a gamble salary cap wise
    Kevin Payne acknowledged as much in a recent interview on TFC's website. I doubt he will be drafting any GA players in the SuperDraft.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Kevin Payne acknowledged as much in a recent interview on TFC's website. I doubt he will be drafting any GA players in the SuperDraft.
    I think he'll get one GA player, one non GA if he keeps both 1st rounders

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Adidas funds GA, which is administered by MLS FO. generally players are signed to a GA contract for 3 years. however, players can 'graduate' from GA depending on how many first team mins a player gets. it is very arbitrary and it is done on case by case basis. however, generally if a GA player is seen as a regular first team guy, he graduates GA. again, another one of not so transparent MLS thing
    Teams can also sign Home Grown Players to GA Deals, in which a HG is already not counted towards the cap.

However, I have always wondered and researched my question of how long(years) does a HG not count towards the cap?
    Figuratively speaking, if a player like doneil henry or ashtone morgan are with the club for 5 more years, and are considered solid starters, at what point do they count towards the cap?

Yohan you know?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Teams can also sign Home Grown Players to GA Deals, in which a HG is already not counted towards the cap.

However, I have always wondered and researched my question of how long(years) does a HG not count towards the cap?
    Figuratively speaking, if a player like doneil henry or ashtone morgan are with the club for 5 more years, and are considered solid starters, at what point do they count towards the cap?

Yohan you know?
    It would make sense if HG players signed to a GA contract is treated like NCAA GA players, same with graduating from GA process

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings interview from yesterday translated by some dude to English. Easier to read

Here's the link to the original article (in German): http://www.derwesten.de/sport/torste...id7442449.html

Mr. Frings, you were German champion with Bayern Munich and Canadian champion with Toronto FC. Are the celebrations in Toronto similar to those in Munich (holding the Trophy with the team on the City Hall Balcony at Marienplaz)?

(Laughs) Nah. It was a small competition, so afterwards we went and got a beer. And that was it. You can't really compare it to the Bundesliga. People here aren't really interested in soccer as they are for ice hockey or basketball. The title was important however.

How come?

Because then you qualify for the North American Champions League. You leave Canada to play clubs from Costa Rico or Mexico, and that's a lot of fun. But you really can't compare it to Europe, because in the Canadian Cup we're only competing with four other clubs so our chances are really good. We've been Canadian Cup champions for 4 years in a row now. While it didn't work out great for us in MLS, it worked out for us in the Champions League.

How is the level of play in MLS? It's been compared to the lower divisions here in the past.

Toronto would be mid level in the 2nd Division, or maybe a little lower on the table. The Galaxy, Beckham's club, MLS Champions of the last two seasons, would be at the level of a 'Greuther Furth', but they wouldn't be in the relegation zone. There is definitely a gap, but the league structure becomes more and more professional.

You've played in the World Cup and the Euro Cup, and you were world class in your position, was switching leagues a big adjustment for you?

Sure, I'm used to a different kind of play, the quality in Europe is higher, but you learn to deal with it and try to help my fellow players with corner kicks and throw-ins, and so forth. With these teams there are a lot of young players that come straight out of College. We have a completely different training system here in Germany. They are however physically in excellent shape and very fit, (North) Americans value that greatly.

You are 36 years old. Can you still keep up?

(Laughs) I played in Europe, there the quality is clearly and simply higher, but naturally you have to keep yourself fit. There's not a high level of value placed here on a technical style of football. They can all run, but the oversight is lacking, however that'll get better.

You were quickly made captain at Toronto.

I was asked, and here I'm sort of a marquee player. I really enjoy it. We're a close-knit group here, everyone really gets along, it's different than in the Bundesliga. Here you can befriend someone very easily because there is no envy, with the salary cap, players here all make around the same salary. There are players here who earn 40,000 dollars a year, no one would play in Germany for that amount, but for young players here the league can act as a nice springboard.

Let's talk about what's going on around you, what's the stadium atmosphere like?

Not as bad as you'd think, actually pretty good. Here in Toronto, we have 20,000 fans regularly, the stadium is usually almost full, and they make for a great atmosphere. New York has a really nice stadium and Seattle brings in crowds of 50,000.

The Travel...

...is something I totally underestimated. It's quite exhausting, you fly 6 hours to a game in Los Angeles or Vancouver, plus there's a 3 hour time difference. Also, we don't fly charter planes, we use the airlines. The entire team sits scattered around the plane where they can find free seats. The good thing though is that you see a lot of North America, it's really beautiful.

The Media...

...All the games get broadcast live on television, but usually there's only 3 or 4 journalists there plus the guys from our club channel (Toronto FC TV). In Munich or Dortmund it was completely different. Sports journalists here, however, are allowed to go straight to the locker room after the game and interview you while you're in the shower, but you get used to it. And here in the city no one recognizes me, thankfully.

That's different than in Munich or Dortmund.

That's the best part! I've always wanted to live in a big city, and here I can walk around free without being photographed or watched. Toronto is really nice city. I don't know anyone who doesn't like it, I highly recommend for people to come here and visit. The city changes every month, its constantly growing with new skyscrapers. It's nuts. During the summer here, the beaches and the lakes here are just like in the Mediterranean. During the winter however it's incredibly cold, so I'm happy to be here in Germany during that time.

Toronto is a big sports town, and you're a big sports fan.

Yeah, that's also great. All the teams here have the same owner, so that becomes really pracitical when you need tickets. I can go watch the Maple Leafs (Ice Hockey), the Raptors (Basketball), or the Blue Jays (Baseball). You can usually spot me at the games when I've got the time. Half the players live in my apartment complex, so we go out to dinner too.

How do you do it with the family?

My girlfriend is with me here in Toronto, and my children visit me during their vacation, they like it here. I also go to Germany 2 or 3 times a year.

So, in conclusion, you did the right thing?

Yeah, I'm really glad I made this decision, and I feel very comftable here.

What's next? How much longer are you going to play?

I just had an injury, but everything's OK now. I head over to start preseason in January. One more year should do it for me, I don't want to play longer than that.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the translation. I feel better about the interview now than compared to my limited read through in German.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to beat the subscription thing for a lot of papers, the sun included, just hit it up in Private Browser.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Germany invested in youth soccer
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/sp...er=rss&emc=rss

Improved MLS TV ratings for NBC
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article...-coverage.html

Former Sporting KC youth academy keeper signs for Atletico Madrid
    http://fox4kc.com/2013/01/03/lees-su...ccer-in-spain/

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBS 60 minutes to air a documentary on Messi and La Masia on Sun, 7pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50138176n

-Eduardo Galeano