Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    Well bad news for ya. Unless you can remember the Hamilton Steelers or the North York Rockets, and you've come to watch the pro game under MLSE grip on it in this city, you think the Canadian Club competition is the Amway Cup. As you said you their name in on the Tournament. WHICH is what it being sold. Just as there isn't a person under 30 who calls it the Skydome. The Voyageurs supporters group should have retired the cup when the MLS came to town or donated it to the CSA to be the Men's Amateur cup. It was rather nieve to think that MSLE would give something back in exchange for that history. They are an organisation of takers. Vampires. And thankfully judging by the empty seats today, the soccer moms that everyone here hates so much are the first to turn their backs on them. Maybe you should open your eyes and realize that MLSE has taken you for a chump.

And thanks, next time I'll use any of the other MLS teams field crap sides as an example when pointing out that Cups in North America that aren't play-off cups, are treated like exhibition games by the corporations that run our pro leagues who like guaranteed dates. That they can pre-sell for months or make part of ticket packages.

And this is a free country. As such I enjoyed your impressions that your emotional attachement to the past matters.
    On this board, his emotional attachment matters a hell of a lot more than your opinion, 56 post boy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I do prefer CL footy to MLS footy.

I agree but the CCL format changes from last year has made it a lot less exciting.

And for all of the naysayers, what MLS matches would you rank higher than the CCL quarter final home and away against LA, CCL semi final at bmo against Santos Laguna, CCL play-in home and away against Motagua, Cruz Azul at BMO, away at FC Dallas to qualify for the knockout round and Plata brace against Real Estelí? And I could add another 5 matches form the Voyageurs cup that I would rank higher than any MLS match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    because we get to play 2 games against a decent opposition from Mexico! Yay!

and I look forward to awesome games against quality teams like Aguila and Tauro FC!!!!
    I do not find any american MLS team interesting or enjoyable to watch. I prefer the brand of footy played by Aguila and Tauro despite their lack of talent. No MLS player has impressed me in seven years nor has any MLS system or coach, I watch only when a Canadian side is playing otherwise I have no interest in this league. I am interested in world football in general and as I said I would watch almost any football game played by two pro or semi pro sides, with the exception of MLS the football played here continues to be somewhat naive and lacking. Again you thought that Houston would come here and whip our behind. It did not happen. Why? Because no side in the MLS is all that good, and an organized side can beat any of them with a littel offensive talent. Montreal has figured it out, and finally after seven years we seem to have figured it out. There is very little skilled or tactically intelligent play in this league. and it is boring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It is a bit of a hyperbole, some players I have liked, but they are few and far between, De Ro and Cooper( with Houston) come to mind. Otherwise very little impression was left on me by any.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not find any american MLS team interesting or enjoyable to watch. I prefer the brand of footy played by Aguila and Tauro despite their lack of talent. No MLS player has impressed me in seven years nor has any MLS system or coach, I watch only when a Canadian side is playing otherwise I have no interest in this league. I am interested in world football in general and as I said I would watch almost any football game played by two pro or semi pro sides, with the exception of MLS the football played here continues to be somewhat naive and lacking. Again you thought that Houston would come here and whip our behind. It did not happen. Why? Because no side in the MLS is all that good, and an organized side can beat any of them with a littel offensive talent. Montreal has figured it out, and finally after seven years we seem to have figured it out. There is very little skilled or tactically intelligent play in this league. and it is boring.
    I thought that when RSL was playing in the CCL final first-leg a couple of years ago I saw some very good flowing possession football, the best I've seen in North America. It was like something from a totally different league than TFC. That was one of the most memorable matches I've watched in recent years, in any league. I could barely believe my eyes.

TFC has never (yet) played at that level, but we sometimes see it with the best MLS sides.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    Well bad news for ya. Unless you can remember the Hamilton Steelers or the North York Rockets, and you've come to watch the pro game under MLSE grip on it in this city, you think the Canadian Club competition is the Amway Cup. As you said you their name in on the Tournament. WHICH is what it being sold. Just as there isn't a person under 30 who calls it the Skydome. The Voyageurs supporters group should have retired the cup when the MLS came to town or donated it to the CSA to be the Men's Amateur cup. It was rather nieve to think that MSLE would give something back in exchange for that history. They are an organisation of takers. Vampires. And thankfully judging by the empty seats today, the soccer moms that everyone here hates so much are the first to turn their backs on them. Maybe you should open your eyes and realize that MLSE has taken you for a chump.

And thanks, next time I'll use any of the other MLS teams field crap sides as an example when pointing out that Cups in North America that aren't play-off cups, are treated like exhibition games by the corporations that run our pro leagues who like guaranteed dates. That they can pre-sell for months or make part of ticket packages.

And this is a free country. As such I enjoyed your impressions that your emotional attachement to the past matters.
    25 and it's skydome, just because everybody else could see what's wrong with the rest of the post.
    I wanted to point that one out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ To time to time, I see a MLS game/side and it does surprise me, particullalry when playing non-MLS team but then the next game I see tends to be so fucking disappointing that I never watched two MLS games in a row. (again I do follow all three Canadian sides)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is still often true. I find it's a mixed bag; some teams have just enough skill to be able to open up space and create some steady flow: montreal, L.A., Seattle two years ago, RSL three years ago.

I watch a lot of MLS because I've adapted to it; you learn to key on the skill players and lament the general lack of tactical approach.

I think Nelsen is trying a hybrid in that he's trying to keep shape solid, like San Jose, but to not only rely on long balls to create. So effectively he's trying to create a two-way team with pretty static roles, but taking advantage of quick ball movement on the break to create openings.

I prefer free flow, a la Mexico, but most leagues you either get small and skillful, like mexico, or strong and fast like MLS -- it's only really the top divisions that combine both, the EPL, the Spanish league, to a lesser extent now the German and Italian leagues.

If you look at second division or below, it's always one or the other. Portugal is like Mexico in that there's a premium on technique and guile; Sweden and Norway are like the U.S. The championship in England is maybe the only hybrid, where the top teams have great flow, and speed, and strength. Of course, in almost any other large country, it would be the premier league.

I get what you're saying; second-division football by its nature will always be inferior, but there's inferior clever and there's inferior hard-working, and mls is the latter. I tend to agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I am a bit harsh on the MLS, but it is borne out of frustration, because at times you see games which are played well, but it is only a game here and there.

"I think Nelsen is trying a hybrid in that he's trying to keep shape solid, like San Jose, but to not only rely on long balls to create. So effectively he's trying to create a two-way team with pretty static roles, but taking advantage of quick ball movement on the break to create openings."

That is exactly what I see Nelsen doing, and while we have dropped points, it is working. Also I have to say this is my type of football. This is the basic philosophy of the football I grew up with and played as a child. Not direct in the old English style, long ball to the CF, but a direct quick counter, using the space created by the over team coming forward pressing to create. It is simple, but very effective. I tend to believe that this will be a good team by mid-late season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    25 and it's skydome, just because everybody else could see what's wrong with the rest of the post.
    I wanted to point that one out.
    Thank You!!! I was born in 88' and I will never call it anything other than the Skydome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walms View Post
    Thank You!!! I was born in 88' and I will never call it anything other than the Skydome
    What he said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there even going to be many fans at tonight's game?? At least are the supporters in the south end going to be in full voice today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This is still often true. I find it's a mixed bag; some teams have just enough skill to be able to open up space and create some steady flow: montreal, L.A., Seattle two years ago, RSL three years ago.

I watch a lot of MLS because I've adapted to it; you learn to key on the skill players and lament the general lack of tactical approach.

I think Nelsen is trying a hybrid in that he's trying to keep shape solid, like San Jose, but to not only rely on long balls to create. So effectively he's trying to create a two-way team with pretty static roles, but taking advantage of quick ball movement on the break to create openings.

I prefer free flow, a la Mexico, but most leagues you either get small and skillful, like mexico, or strong and fast like MLS -- it's only really the top divisions that combine both, the EPL, the Spanish league, to a lesser extent now the German and Italian leagues.

If you look at second division or below, it's always one or the other. Portugal is like Mexico in that there's a premium on technique and guile; Sweden and Norway are like the U.S. The championship in England is maybe the only hybrid, where the top teams have great flow, and speed, and strength. Of course, in almost any other large country, it would be the premier league.

I get what you're saying; second-division football by its nature will always be inferior, but there's inferior clever and there's inferior hard-working, and mls is the latter. I tend to agree.

German 2nd division is also up there with England. Strong teams with even higher attendence then in England, 2nd division teams in Germany usually have nice stadiums, good support and enough money. Other countries once you reach 2nd division the teams quality and size of stadiums usually makes a big decline, money is often on a much smaller scale and quality of play makes a huge dip from 1st division to 2nd division. I think England and Germany can go even further to about 3rd and 4th division teams that have more fans at games then other countries 2nd and sometimes even 1st division teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I prefer free flow, a la Mexico, but most leagues you either get small and skillful, like mexico, or strong and fast like MLS -- it's only really the top divisions that combine both, the EPL, Bundesliga, Real Madrid and Barcelona, to a lesser extent now the Italian league.
    Fixed that for you.
    I think I'd probably rate Bundesliga on par, possibly better, than EPL. In this year's Champion's League only Spanish and German teams are left. Bayern Munich seems to have put together a monster team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edmonton with the stunning 2-1 lead right now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver's goal was offside too. lol

While dominating possession for Vancouver, Edmonton is up for this one.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a definite lower quality feel to the Eddies, but they are giving it way more effort than Vancouver.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    There is a definite lower quality feel to the Eddies, but they are giving it way more effort than Vancouver.
    Colin Miller blew up last year's Eddies team. This year's team has a bit more quality, but team chemistry is lacking
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor Eddies they are being robbed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very harsh decision.

TFC isn't the only team that gives up late goals. So sad. 2-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, just wow. This game must be fixed! Vancouver gifted with PK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh my Miller sent off... he is a bit of a potty mouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver is up 3-2 now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-2 for the Caps... Colin Miller sent off..

I think fitness and the Ref just killing the spirit of the Eddies ended this game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Wow, just wow. This game must be fixed! Vancouver gifted with PK.
    I wouldn't say "fixed," but the ref is doing the Eddies no favours.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There you go Silviu. Job done.
    Congratulations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuckin lucky shitcaps! I pray for the day Tfc can beat up on the fcE.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wonder if Evil Ernie made the trip?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUCKING BEARDED HIPPIES!

I bet that instead of showers the shitecraps have a fucking sweat lodge where they all go and bathe in each others filth and roll around in mud.

Little known fact: Darren Mattocks is actually a blonde white man!
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we will just have to shut down Montreal, and then avenge the Eddies give Vancouver their 12 loss in a row.