Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    V cup will be reserved to MLS and NASL in Canada. The CSA are planning something for the PDL teams. It will be separate from the provincial D3 development of leagues.
    Considering that the CSL has been de-sanctioned and is now an outlaw league, the MLS and NASL cannot play against them and maintain FIFA eligibility for their players. The PDL is too far down the pecking order to give quality opposition. So I think that MLS and NASL (and maybe D3 once it's set up) is the right way to go.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Considering that the CSL has been de-sanctioned and is now an outlaw league, the MLS and NASL cannot play against them and maintain FIFA eligibility for their players. The PDL is too far down the pecking order to give quality opposition. So I think that MLS and NASL (and maybe D3 once it's set up) is the right way to go.
    the number of cupsets at US Open Cup suggests otherwise
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems so much of the arguments being made here are related to issues of pride and humiliation. We have never made MLS playoffs, even when winning V-Cup and playing in CCL. People feel that is embarrassing, and to a great extent it is. If we'd made the MLS playoffs at some point already, would we still be having this debate? Some think we will only gain respect if we make the MLS playoffs, and some go further to say any competition outside MLS hurts our chances to get into the league playoffs (which of course will bring us the respect we want so badly). Honestly, I don't get why so many want to draw a line in the sand and pick one over the other, we should always value both league and continental play. Things get twisted because we don't play in a true domestic league, and our only means to qualify for CCL is through an odd little canadian championship tourney. I wish we had our own league. I wish we had a proper domestic open cup tourney, and I wish that tourney was named for the cup (even if it has to be with a corporate sponsor). But, it is what it is, for now at least. It's all a matter of perspective, and the slight majority perspective here seems to be that league and continental play are in contrast to each other. Put me in the camp that feels all competitions we play in should be complementary, making us a better team all-around.

For a different perspective, look at Vancouver. They've made the MLS playoffs but never won the V-Cup. Complete opposite to us. Do you think they are having the same 'which is more important' debate? I doubt it. I suspect they badly want to win the V-Cup now, and get back in the MLS playoffs.

There will always be that NA sports mindset about playoffs being the penultimate goal, with the MLS Cup being the ultimate goal. But I'm hopeful over time more people will come to respect the Voyageur's Cup and CCL play, as well as some healthy respect for the Supporter's Shield. But we'll never approach that point until we get into the damn MLS playoffs. Once that monkey is off our backs, hopefully perspectives will change.

This debate as it stands now is framed by our history. Here's hoping it s only temporary.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    If TFC can't even make the playoffs, what makes you think they can win the Supporters Shield?
    No one talks about it because TFC have never been a competitive team that could honestly be considered contenders for it.

oh and for what it's worth, I think the Voyagers Cup is a joke of a tournament. It's just another round of CCL IMO.
    The only reason people are so responsive to it is because they added a trophy to it and called it a championship.
    Good points...but IMO here's my thoughts:

Isn't the Supporters Shield design by and for the Supporters?

Sounds like it should just be given to the MLS champion as an automatic but IMO it should be judged on the actual Fan support.

You can have the best team but not actual fan support (home/away) vs not the best team and have the greatest fan support (home/away).

I don't think making or not making the playoffs should be an automatic deciding factor for the winner.

It should carry weigh but not a given.

Voyageurs Cup gives us an opportunity to go all the way the World Cup of Football tournament which would be EPIC if we ever made that far.

It's something and something is better then nothing.

You have to be a bit battle tested before any CCL no matter what.

GlenM
    Last edited by GlenM; 03-21-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there some type of road trip in plan, same day head there and back? to MTL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 24th will be a spring Christmas. Stomping those fuckers, because it is fun and we want revenge.

This game is very important and I do not wish to start a fight about which competition is; but it is those blue bastards from down the way, enough said. Winning the VC is good, but shitting on Montreal's chances is enough considering our past successes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be in Montreal for the second leg of the Voyageurs Cup semi-final. Looking forward to it.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning on going to Montreal for the May 1 game, but what section at Saputo Stadium will the TFC supporters be standing?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avon View Post
    I am planning on going to Montreal for the May 1 game, but what section at Saputo Stadium will the TFC supporters be standing?
    section 112

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leafs-Habs could very easily be meeting in Montreal May 1 in first playoff game.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Leafs-Habs could very easily be meeting in Montreal May 1 in first playoff game.
    That would kill the attendance at Saputo, every bar in Montreal would be packed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Awesome, thanks for sharing Yohan.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Great video, had never truely known the history before. Always love to learn something new each day. Looking forward to being in Montreal on May 1 when the Reds take on the Impact in the Voyageurs Cup semi-final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there A march For the First leg? at home?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    You know, it is possible for you to state your preference for the playoffs without calling the Voyageurs Cup "crap".

It's the ultimate supporters trophy, funded by fans from coast-to-coast.
    I was under the impression that AMWAY was funding this event. If that's not the case why is they're name on the Trophy? It's just another marketing vehicle for MLSE to sell to mask the shit seasons we've had. I can guarantee that if the league performance gets better, like Montreal, TFC will be using subs during future Amway Canadian Championships.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
    I was under the impression that AMWAY was funding this event. If that's not the case why is they're name on the Trophy? It's just another marketing vehicle for MLSE to sell to mask the shit seasons we've had. I can guarantee that if the league performance gets better, like Montreal, TFC will be using subs during future Amway Canadian Championships.
    Stop talking about Montreal, I know they're your team, but give it a break. What should I care what strategy they use, and why on earth would TFC follow Montreal's lead? That's ridiculous to contemplate.

TFC/ML$E has nothing to do with Amway being the sponsor, the Canadian Soccer Association runs the competition and named Amway the sponsor, and Amway's name is not on the trophy, it's on the tournament. The trophy is named after the Voyageurs, which is the Canadian National Team's Supporter Group, it's not the Amway Cup it's the Voyageurs Cup. The competition is older than TFC and has nothing to do with ML$E, except that TFC fields a team in it.

Your post is wrong in so many ways, it's hard to know where to begin. Maybe take the time to learn a bit about the history of the competition (try Wikipedia) before you start giving your "impressions."
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-19-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Stop talking about Montreal, I know they're your team, but give it a break. What should I care what strategy they use, and why on earth would TFC follow Montreal's lead? That's ridiculous to contemplate.

TFC/ML$E has nothing to do with Amway being the sponsor, the Canadian Soccer Association runs the competition and named Amway the sponsor, and Amway's name is not on the trophy, it's on the tournament. The trophy is named after the Voyageurs, which is the Canadian National Team's Supporter Group, it's not the Amway Cup it's the Voyageurs Cup. The competition is older than TFC and has nothing to do with ML$E, except that TFC fields a team in it.

Your post is wrong in so many ways, it's hard to know where to begin. Maybe take the time to learn a bit about the history of the competition (try Wikipedia) before you start giving your "impressions."

Well bad news for ya. Unless you can remember the Hamilton Steelers or the North York Rockets, and you've come to watch the pro game under MLSE grip on it in this city, you think the Canadian Club competition is the Amway Cup. As you said you their name in on the Tournament. WHICH is what it being sold. Just as there isn't a person under 30 who calls it the Skydome. The Voyageurs supporters group should have retired the cup when the MLS came to town or donated it to the CSA to be the Men's Amateur cup. It was rather nieve to think that MSLE would give something back in exchange for that history. They are an organisation of takers. Vampires. And thankfully judging by the empty seats today, the soccer moms that everyone here hates so much are the first to turn their backs on them. Maybe you should open your eyes and realize that MLSE has taken you for a chump.

And thanks, next time I'll use any of the other MLS teams field crap sides as an example when pointing out that Cups in North America that aren't play-off cups, are treated like exhibition games by the corporations that run our pro leagues who like guaranteed dates. That they can pre-sell for months or make part of ticket packages.

And this is a free country. As such I enjoyed your impressions that your emotional attachement to the past matters.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Is there A march For the First leg? at home?
    Planning is in progress just about to start the thread
    Ai estes são os Ultras do Benfica Primeiros a nascer
    Odiamos os tripeiros Queremos ver o Porto a arder
    DIABOS VERMELHOS 1982

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well bad news for ya. Unless you can remember the Hamilton Steelers or the North York Rockets, and you've come to watch the pro game under MLSE grip on it in this city, you think the Canadian Club competition is the Amway Cup. As you said you their name in on the Tournament. WHICH is what it being sold. Just as there isn't a person under 30 who calls it the Skydome. The Voyageurs supporters group should have retired the cup when the MLS came to town or donated it to the CSA to be the Men's Amateur cup. It was rather nieve to think that MSLE would give something back in exchange for that history. They are an organisation of takers. Vampires. And thankfully judging by the empty seats today, the soccer moms that everyone here hates so much are the first to turn their backs on them. Maybe you should open your eyes and realize that MLSE has taken you for a chump.

And thanks, next time I'll use any of the other MLS teams field crap sides as an example when pointing out that Cups in North America that aren't play-off cups, are treated like exhibition games by the corporations that run our pro leagues who like guaranteed dates. That they can pre-sell for months or make part of ticket packages.

And this is a free country. As such I enjoyed your impressions that your emotional attachement to the past matters.
    Could you please give a proper connection between MLSE and the sponsorship of this cup? Last I checked, AMYWAY is not a sponsor of TFC (please see the team's list of sponsors here: http://www.torontofc.ca/content/partners). Furthermore, there are 3 other teams that compete for this same cup. Why is TFC the only one that is the bad guy here? Has Vancouver not beaten their head into the ground the last 3-4 years when they haven't won it? Did Montreal not take advantage of winning the cup in 2008 to go all out to "sell" out the Olympic Stadium during their CCL run?

And your logic about teams using second stringers is overly simplistic. Rosters lack depth in North America so when they have to play these extra games, some teams will field second units - at least in earlier rounds. I assume you are referring to the US Open Cup. Then again, that's the case in domestic cups around Europe, too. Teams will rest their players in early rounds when they play inferior or lower division teams.

I guess if Montreal wins the cup, you won't care then? Or I guess you'll care because TFC didn't win it and therefore the TFC fans that do care about it are disappointed?

In Greece, when a fan of another team shows to care more about the fans of other teams than his own, we call that a complex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's called the Voyageurs Cup!!!!!!!!!!! Please do one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voyageurs, it will be won.
    No whitecap too high, no impact can try.
    Voyageurs, it will be won.
    Five for fun?
    All For One!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    We need to make the playoffs never mind this Voyageurs Cup crap. We have won this cup a few times now and what has it done to the image of this team. We have won this thing but we have had crappy regular seasons and have never made the playoffs, due to this fact we have been the laughing stock of the league and the general media even here in Toronto. This organization will only gain some respactability and get people interested in this team again by having a decent regular season and finally making the playoffs.
    Because the team was playing like shit under them. I care about the Canadian tourney and the CL more then the MLS. THat does not mean that I want my team to be shit in the MLS. Also the only real success in the CL was under Winter, we did OK with Preki. But clealry after the start of 2012, Winter was not going to reapeat his CL success last year.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AMWAY? Nutralite? MLSE? Saputo? Nowhere to be seen.

The Voyageurs are alive and well thanks and this trophy and tournament will grow with pro teams in Canada. Your hate for MLSE has dulled your perception of this competition. Why would I want to celebrate the sponsor of any event more or instead of the founders of it and what it stood and stands for?

MLSE's team TFC have had a stranglehold on this tournament practically since our entry into it. If you want to misguidedly demonize this tournament then you have to give the blame up equally to all the owners of Canadian pro teams.

Otherwise it's only your own bias that looks "nieve".
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as there isn't a person under 30 who calls it the Skydome.
    I'm in my mid 20's and everyone I know calls it Skydome.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People, don't feed the

The rest of us will get on with getting on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have high hopes for the team only because I love seeing the likes of Santos Laguna and Pumas come through BMO. The international flair brings out motivated fans on both sides. Games are lots of fun (in some cases more than regular season mls games for me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do prefer CL footy to MLS footy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I do prefer CL footy to MLS footy.
    because we get to play 2 games against a decent opposition from Mexico! Yay!

and I look forward to awesome games against quality teams like Aguila and Tauro FC!!!!

-Eduardo Galeano