RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is TFC U23/College team?

http://www.torontofc.ca/academy/team...er-u23-college

Saw this... anyone have any idea about this?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

TFC Academy entering there team in the CIS for competition, can they even do this???

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know TFC Academy had what I think they called an overage team that played an OSL schedule
    in 2012. It appears to me they played an exhibition schedule and were not actually in an OSL division. I had heard they had some of the past academy players who are not in college on the team, but I am not completely sure what the actually make up of those who played in these games was.

http://www.ontariosl.com/MyTeam_Results.aspx

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it was exhibition schedule...teams were made up of sr. and jr. academicians, academy grads like Janniere, and others like Adam Street and Skylar Thomas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About time! Hopefully younger players who have been cut from TFC sign with Under 23 team.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    TFC Academy entering there team in the CIS for competition, can they even do this???
    No. They can play exhibition games, but cannot enter CIS competition proper. At least, not under the rules as they currently exist. Could they be changed to accommodate? Of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CIS ???

as in Canadian Interuniversity Sports???

Not likely gonna happen, unless TFC opens a university

sounds alot more like a PDL team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

My best guess is that TFC have realized that they are sending and going to continue to send kids to university, so I would think that this would allow these kids to train with the academy still, so tfc still have their MLS rights and they will probably play in the PDL

i see pdl was suggested above now...makes the most sense since pdl season ends right by the time kids go back to uni...so our u18 academy team (if they stay in the csl), don't get short changed come september like they have the last 2 years
    Last edited by prizby; 12-15-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will probably be a PDL team. TFC should also partner with Ryerson, U of T or York and have all their kids go to one university. The university that becomes TFC's U23 team would be like soccer's equivalent to The Central Red Army.
    Last edited by Macksam; 12-16-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    It will probably be a PDL team. TFC should also partner with Ryerson, U of T or York and have all their kids go to one university. The university that becomes TFC's U23 team would be like soccer's equivalent to The Central Red Army.
    All of the U of T coaches are involved in the academy, so it would be them. But thats pretty weird, to team up with a university. Those are adults. I think the academy needs to team up with a private school and unify a residency for academy players to be brought in from around the country. A good school, so it encourages parents to send their kid. UCC and St Michaels gives kids scholarships all the time for sports, so it could work similar to that. I have heard of a few TFC academy kids at Crescent in previous years as well.

This team will just help give college players a team to play/ practice with in the offseason and fill a void that became obvious. Not every promising playing can step into MLS as an 18 year old. Need time to mature and what not. Holds a close tie with players we send off. Another link between academy and first team where he kids are signed to pro deals. Keeps options open for both parties.

And maybe it'll give Jimmy B a place to go off and coach to avoid the awkwardness of his impending demotion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most of the kids first choice is UofT due to the coaches being with TFC academy...the problem you run into is if they don't qualify academically for UofT standards or UofT doesn't offer their program of choice, then what do they do...they go to another university like Angelo Cavalluzzo, who is at MacMaster (his hometown school) and is studying Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering which is not offered at UofT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    About time! Hopefully younger players who have been cut from TFC sign with Under 23 team.
    That would be fantastic. Vukovic being a primary target of course. Hopefully this team can avoid situations like his from now on.

This is much needed. Kids get to train year-round and stay affiliated to the club while TFC can keep monitoring their progress up close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    That would be fantastic. Vukovic being a primary target of course. Hopefully this team can avoid situations like his from now on.

This is much needed. Kids get to train year-round and stay affiliated to the club while TFC can keep monitoring their progress up close.
    Why would Vukovic sign for a PDL team...if he was interested in PDL, he'd have signed for one this summer...heck I bet if he was interested in turning pro at a low level, he'd have signed for Edmonton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    All of the U of T coaches are involved in the academy, so it would be them. But thats pretty weird, to team up with a university.
    It would be strange, but I can see a few benefits from this arraingment. First, it would bring about more cohesion for the Toronto FC U23 team in general by having all their guys at one university. Second, it would increase the level of competition within in the OUA by having TFC's U23 team indirectly competing in it. The other teams will have to adapt and find a way to attract better talent in order to compete. The end result would be a more competitive CIS, a league that may even start arguing again about being included in the MLS combine and resulting draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be strange, but I can see a few benefits from this arraingment. First, it would bring about more cohesion for the Toronto FC U23 team in general by having all their guys at one university. Second, it would increase the level of competition within in the OUA by having TFC's U23 team indirectly competing in it. The other teams will have to adapt and find a way to attract better talent in order to compete. The end result would be a more competitive CIS, a league that may even start arguing again about being included in the MLS combine and resulting draft.
    again, not all of them qualify academically for UofT, so its a moot point if half the kids can't be on the team because they don't have the marks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    again, not all of them qualify academically for UofT, so its a moot point if half the kids can't be on the team because they don't have the marks
    lol, maybe pump the kids with lower marks into Ryerson, the arch rival. I did both my undergrad and masters at Ryerson so I say this with jest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what's next? the leafs will start sending their 22 year old prospects to U of T as well. The idea of a TFC and a university hooking up is so far fetched it's laughable. Any change to any sport in the CIS would effect all of them. And let's face it, if a local product hasn't made TFC by 21--- why have him stick around? And it's not like Real Madrid will buy him. Nor would Edmonton FC-- he'd be going for free.

I'm betting these guys have to PAY to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    TFC u23?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    All of the U of T coaches are involved in the academy, so it would be them. But thats pretty weird, to team up with a university. Those are adults. I think the academy needs to team up with a private school and unify a residency for academy players to be brought in from around the country. A good school, so it encourages parents to send their kid. UCC and St Michaels gives kids scholarships all the time for sports, so it could work similar to that. I have heard of a few TFC academy kids at Crescent in previous years as well.
    Which makes me ask the question: who's benefiting if TFC kids go to CIS? Don't really see the quality / depth within that system that will allow our prospects to get to where they need to be. If not careful there are a lot of problems and conflicts of interest with using CIS coaches. Let's not forget one is an infamous player agent often linked to this team in the past.

I can understand the desire of MLS to tap into the existing infrastructure of other organizations to fund their development, but with soccer essentially being a free market, they have to realize that their won't be a free lunch the way the NFL, NBA, and to a certain degree NHL benefit from the lack of other global options for their prospects. Nobody is going to develop their players for free and then turn around and provide them to the league for below market prices. The players as free agents or the clubs as sellers will take every dollar they are worth.

Minor league soccer, bigger reserve league, more loans with NASL ... it's time for more progress on those fronts and the league getting to some real solutions, because it they want to continue to expand at the pace they are, the domestic talent is going to absolutely burst and the seams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    this isn't new england

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    this isn't new england
    Yeah, that was just over cynicism taking hold. I can't blame him considering he is a TFC fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC still haven't updated this section on their website but the team seems to be up and running.

Kyle Walton@Kwalton15

Great training session today with the U23 College team. Capped off with a great meal. @tfcacademy #TFC

He plays Div 1 college football with Lincoln College.
    http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/msoc/2...kylewalton5cpl

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    TFC still haven't updated this section on their website but the team seems to be up and running.

Kyle Walton@Kwalton15

Great training session today with the U23 College team. Capped off with a great meal. @tfcacademy #TFC

He plays Div 1 college football with Lincoln College.
    http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/msoc/2...kylewalton5cpl
    In adition to the league play in OSL Provincial Elite (Senior Academy Team) and OSL U21 Provincial Elite West (Junior Academy Team) their is an eight game TFC exibition schedule from June 3rd to July 26. I wonder if this is for the U23 College team.

# Div Day Date KO Field Home Team Away Team
    1275 TFC Mon Jun 3 21:00 Downsview Turf 1 Toronto F.C. Ex. Durham Celtic
    1272 TFC Fri Jun 21 20:00 Downsview Turf 1 Toronto F.C. Ex. GS United
    1274 TFC Mon Jun 24 21:00 Downsview Turf 1 Toronto F.C. Ex. NY Hearts
    1268 TFC Fri Jun 28 20:00 Downsview Turf 1 Toronto F.C. Ex. AC Soccer Diavoli
    1276 TFC Mon Jul 8 21:00 Downsview Turf 1 Toronto F.C. Ex. Sigma FC
    1270 TFC Fri Jul 12 20:00 Downsview Turf 1 Toronto F.C. Ex. Caledon FC
    1271 TFC Mon Jul 22 21:00 Downsview Turf 1 Toronto F.C. Ex. Ulster Thistle
    1273 TFC Fri Jul 26 20:00 Downsview Turf 1 Toronto F.C. Ex. Woodbridge Strikers

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice find. I would definitely like to attend some of these matches and see what the college team is all about. Hopefully some of the senior academy players that went on to play NCAA football will be there. I really enjoyed watching Morris play last summer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have confirmed that the schedule I posted above is for TFC's U23 College Team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Nice find. I would definitely like to attend some of these matches and see what the college team is all about. Hopefully some of the senior academy players that went on to play NCAA football will be there. I really enjoyed watching Morris play last summer.
    I heard some of the Seniors will be filling the empty roster spaces at the game tonight.

Hope for good weather and I may go take a look?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC 2 V. Durham Celtic 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    TFC 2 V. Durham Celtic 0
    How was the game? Style of football? Crowd?

Was thinking of going but backed out last minute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    How was the game? Style of football? Crowd?

Was thinking of going but backed out last minute.
    Game was good, some good performances from several positions that the first team need to improve on. Lots of pace from both wings, leading to a goal from the left winger, #17, and a strong performance from the central defenders.

Not a big crowd, 30-40 maybe, when is it guna warm up ?
    Last edited by Leedsoronto; 06-04-2013 at 01:00 PM.