Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Johnson didn't sound like he wanted to be here much longer so I'm not too sad to see him leave. Kocic on the other hand was soldier for TFC and showed the pride to play for us not many players seem to have.
    Portland seems like they have a lot of shuffling to do with these new players. We shall see what happens.
    I'm of the same mind. Not hating on Johnson or anything, but I think I got the same vibe as you from him. As for Kocic, man, I'm gonna miss that guy. He always showed pride and passion out on the pitch. I wish for the very best for the guy - except when he has to face us next season.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    This trade gets me excited. 1st and 3rd overall, plus we have Siva from last year who was 4th overall, we're going to have some good, cheap, young talent on the roster. Those guys, along with Henry and Morgan from our academy, and it looks like we're going to have a solid team that will only improve as these kids get older, and learn the game more.
    Unlikely, as long as Mariner is still here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kocic and Frei both on the same team is a waste of cap space, and if I had to choose, Frei would be my man even if just because of his attitude.

I want players who will give their all for the badge. Kocic is decent, but Frei gives his all.

Good trade, I'm pleased.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Fixed, my bad. We have the first and third picks in the draft this year.
    Love the position, hope we get someone decent.

Dont want to see Milos go. . . really enjoyed him playing for us between the sticks.
    Regretfully, the trade makes perfect sense. . so I cant get enjoyment of being overly critical of it on the interwebs. . .
    As an RPB, our collective favorite pastime.

Lord help the internet if TFC actually start winning. .
    then we'll have to winge about the WAY in which we won. .
    (wont THAT be nice)
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do like the trade but we are still lacking depth in the CB position and a few decent Attacking Midfielders from being a decent team . But it is a start. I am crossing my fingers if guys Like Stinson, Morgan , and Henry can improve even more this season just because they are Canadians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This can also be seen as a show of confidence in Mariner from Payne, given that RJ publicly criticized him and Kocic and he already didn't see eye to eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This can also be seen as a show of confidence in Mariner from Payne, given that RJ publicly criticized him and Kocic and he already didn't see eye to eye.
    Its possible that Kocic requested the trade considering he's the sole earner in his household, with his wife not being able to get a work visa in Canada. Maybe personal choice to go back to the US. Ryan Johnson was worth the 1st rounder and Kocic was a lateral move to give him some help in getting back to the US and Portland would get a possible replacement for Ricketts.

IMO we've missed a big part of the original thread post where it says that there are a possible 4 players of swedish origin coming to TFC. Mariner said he wanted two box to box midfielder which might or might not include Luis Silva.

So my guess is the following:

1. CB
    2. LB
    3. CM
    4. LM

And select a Striker and 2 central midfielders in the MLS Draft. I dont wanna admit it with Mariner at the helm but this might be a good team, depending on who these Swedish players might be.

*Edit: It will be an interesting lineup considering the two slowest striker partnership in MLS will be playing together.
    Last edited by [NBF]; 12-13-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to be a pain.. but, could you or someone else link me to the comments from RJ, where he criticises Mariner?

It's particularly interesting to me, because I felt like it's a classic case of be careful what you wish for; I remember when he added fuel to the fire, when things were piling up on Winter and offered a fairly heartfelt endorsement of Mariner's increased role as striker coach -- like he would have been happy if his role exceeded this, even.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Hate to be a pain.. but, could you or someone else link me to the comments from RJ, where he criticises Mariner?
    Not a problem JuliquE. As Spider-Man says, 'you get ONE.'

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...re-las-donovan

Scroll down, it's half-way through. In the same interviews Kocic, as I recall, said basically "it's not up to me", which isn't much better.

That's a repeat of a quote from the year-end interviews.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RJ and Kocic both had huge roles to fill with injuries to bigger starters in front of them.

Kocic would have never had that sure starter role unless Frei wasn't there and management was committed to Frei. Good luck to Kocic and his family. I think this will be a positive move for him. RJ is more a maybe.

What we're left with is more unknown quantities, not less. It's a bit frazzling.

Frei will be ready for the pre-season...just.
    All our DP's will be ready but coming back from injury/surgery for pre-season, first kick, or later.

And what we have is unproven or undependable backups in goal.
    Even if we get starters from the draft (and we should) that doesn't guarantee MLS starting quality.

Season 7- Extreme Faith required it seems.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a problem JuliquE. As Spider-Man says, 'you get ONE.'

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...re-las-donovan

Scroll down, it's half-way through. In the same interviews Kocic, as I recall, said basically "it's not up to me", which isn't much better.

That's a repeat of a quote from the year-end interviews.
    heh Vielen Dank. Es war sehr interessant, dass zu lesen, wie ich vorher erraten habe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

In the year end interviews Steph said he was a couple weeks away from 100%. That was Oct 30. I imagine he'll be 98-99% by pre-season

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny K is the one who won't be ready until a couple of months into the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Danny K is the one who won't be ready until a couple of months into the season.
    I agree. Based on Cann and Williams recovery I doubt we'll ever again see the Danny that was the scoring machine before his injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    RJ and Kocic both had huge roles to fill with injuries to bigger starters in front of them.

Kocic would have never had that sure starter role unless Frei wasn't there and management was committed to Frei. Good luck to Kocic and his family. I think this will be a positive move for him. RJ is more a maybe.

What we're left with is more unknown quantities, not less. It's a bit frazzling.

All our DP's will be ready but coming back from injury/surgery for pre-season, first kick, or later.

And what we have is unproven or undependable backups in goal.
    Even if we get starters from the draft (and we should) that doesn't guarantee MLS starting quality.

Season 7- Extreme Faith required it seems.

there has to be some other moves in the making or else you are correct about the unknown quantities to have faith on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Kocic and Frei both on the same team is a waste of cap space, and if I had to choose, Frei would be my man even if just because of his attitude.

I want players who will give their all for the badge. Kocic is decent, but Frei gives his all.

Good trade, I'm pleased.

have you ever talked to Milos, I have and he loved playing for TFC, he gave his all and to say he didn't is wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good trade, I'm pleased.
    I am kind of scratching my head at this statement. As much as I also like Frei, Kocic was more than capable and always wore his heart on his sleeves. He seemed to really care about the club and I never doubted his efforts. I'd actually say that of all our players, he was one of them that really gave it his all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good trade, I'm pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    have you ever talked to Milos, I have and he loved playing for TFC, he gave his all and to say he didn't is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I am kind of scratching my head at this statement. As much as I also like Frei, Kocic was more than capable and always wore his heart on his sleeves. He seemed to really care about the club and I never doubted his efforts. I'd actually say that of all our players, he was one of them that really gave it his all.
    Gotta agree with both these guys James....I sat directly behind Milos in 115 and I agree that he gave 110% every game...he loved playing for the crest.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    heh Vielen Dank. Es war sehr interessant, dass zu lesen, wie ich vorher erraten habe.
    No problem. Lucky timing, as they'd just reposted the quote a day earlier. I imagine the day after he said it, he was done. He might have even said it to force a move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    I agree. Based on Cann and Williams recovery I doubt we'll ever again see the Danny that was the scoring machine before his injury.
    Nah, don't worry man. ACL is routine these days. Lots of guys are just as strong after it as before.

Someone said yesterday he was injury prone in Holland; he averaged more than 20 games a season there, so he wasn't that injury prone. And this was an injury based on his studs planting hard and then a player changing his direction of motion abruptly. I did it at 19 on a basketball court, and it was never an issue once repaired -- although psychologically, maybe, which can be tough on a striker.

I think he'll be back fine. Ideally we use him two out of three, so that he lasts the year. If we balance how we play older guys -- if we have a decent enough depth of roster to do that -- then maybe he makes it through the year intact.

I'm actually more worried about Hassli. He has mad skills but disappears for every third or fourth game, either figuratively in that he mentally checks out or literally in that he gets a lot of little nagging injuries.

Braun is a really raw talent, even though he's 25, as he started pro soccer late. Maybe Danny can mold him; Payne's probably going to be asking both of the big guys to tutor him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, don't worry man. ACL is routine these days. Lots of guys are just as strong after it as before.

Someone said yesterday he was injury prone in Holland; he averaged more than 20 games a season there, so he wasn't that injury prone. And this was an injury based on his studs planting hard and then a player changing his direction of motion abruptly. I did it at 19 on a basketball court, and it was never an issue once repaired -- although psychologically, maybe, which can be tough on a striker.

I think he'll be back fine. Ideally we use him two out of three, so that he lasts the year. If we balance how we play older guys -- if we have a decent enough depth of roster to do that -- then maybe he makes it through the year intact.

I'm actually more worried about Hassli. He has mad skills but disappears for every third or fourth game, either figuratively in that he mentally checks out or literally in that he gets a lot of little nagging injuries.

Braun is a really raw talent, even though he's 25, as he started pro soccer late. Maybe Danny can mold him; Payne's probably going to be asking both of the big guys to tutor him.

averaging 20 games a season in Holland is still missing a decent chunk of their season, basically 1/3 of each season and that was when he was younger, older you get the longer it takes to heal.Not sure we'll see the best of Danny, hope we do. He struggled with his fitness early on this season also, so that is another issue he faces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    averaging 20 games a season in Holland is still missing a decent chunk of their season, basically 1/3 of each season and that was when he was younger, older you get the longer it takes to heal.Not sure we'll see the best of Danny, hope we do. He struggled with his fitness early on this season also, so that is another issue he faces.
    All true; but if you look at his strike rates, if we get 15 games out of him, we get 9 or 10 goals. So it's sort of another squad balance issue ... which with us isn't really a shock, I suppose.

The nightmare is that both he and Hassli go down early on, before they've had a chance to influence Braun. I think it's underestimated how much working with a top veteran can help a younger striker. One thing about Mariner (again, I hate his coaching to date) is that he was a top striker; when he was in New England Taylor Twellman claimed he basically changed his game, helped his movement off the ball and his reading of the game particularly.

I think Braun has a lot of untapped potential. He hasn't really been in a situation since Chivas where he could make use of it and he's not a technical guy, like Agudelo, so he wasn't going to be able to hold his spot there. He's a prototypical strong, target forward. But he scored some from around the edge of the box as well and can use space, so if he has some time to work with one of them about his off the ball movement, holding up the ball, an dpulling central defenders apart positionally for the advancing midfielder and that sort of thing, he has a legitimate shot in MLS.

But if they both go down in the first two weeks, the pressure on him could be immense. I have to think we're trying to get in at least one technique-based forward who can finish, in case the big man route isn't working or Braun is left up top alone. Maybe one of the Swedes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem. Lucky timing, as they'd just reposted the quote a day earlier. I imagine the day after he said it, he was done. He might have even said it to force a move.

He doesn't strike me as a stupid man, and as such you are probably right.

He made those comments to sabotage his time at TFC and get as far away from the club as possible.

At the time who could blame him. I wonder if after recent events if he would reconsider.

Portland is a great place to play though, so I think he's probably happy how it all turned out.