Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having a trial for a mid table Div 2 German side doesn't sound right to me. I don't even think that it could be considered an upward progression for him. Considering his age ie 24, I think he genuinley is just getting some training sessions in to build up his experience levels.He is probably approx 3 yrs off reaching his true potential, and i think he'd be better doing it here in MLS. I think gone are the days when signing for obscure German, Dutch, Scandinavian etc clubs was seen as progression. The MLS has grown in stature enough that it competes favourably with any Euro 2nd tier league and in some cases even their top tier leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but I think Silva would do best in a 2nd tier euro league compared to over here. He's talented, but he's unathletic and has a low work rate. He'd do better over there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    but I think Silva would do best in a 2nd tier euro league compared to over here. He's talented, but he's unathletic and has a low work rate. He'd do better over there.
    This is fair.

Don't underestimate the 2. Bundesliga; many sides would boss us around and are probably closer to being on the level with the flagship MLS sides -- in many cases better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    i wouldn't call bundesliga 2, championship, any less athletic than MLS. they are known for being physical. and definitely more talent than MLS. but yeah he could succeed there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pan Se would have been a more useful club for career development. An upward progression for Silva was leaving (current) TFC situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Having a trial for a mid table Div 2 German side doesn't sound right to me. I don't even think that it could be considered an upward progression for him. Considering his age ie 24, I think he genuinley is just getting some training sessions in to build up his experience levels.He is probably approx 3 yrs off reaching his true potential, and i think he'd be better doing it here in MLS. I think gone are the days when signing for obscure German, Dutch, Scandinavian etc clubs was seen as progression. The MLS has grown in stature enough that it competes favourably with any Euro 2nd tier league and in some cases even their top tier leagues.
    2.Bundesliga is without question an upward progression. The league is far superior to MLS, and the infrastructure/facilities in Germany right now for development are second to none. Bear in mind both Kenny Cooper and Edson Buddle struggled in this league, both top shelf strikers here.

I think MLS only competes with some of the sketchier leagues/countries because you're guaranteed your paycheque every two weeks. But Germany, Holland etc ... are still far more technical leagues and a N.American player has plenty to learn in each one, even if it's playing in 2.Bundesliga or for NEC, JC Roda etc ...

But I think you are right, I'd wager it's just training as we've seen a handful of players do over the last few years and he's better off here as he'll get more games week in week out.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As some people in here have said already, the 2. Bundesliga is absolutely better than MLS. Not close.

Source: getting up at 7 AM every Saturday/Sunday to watch it