Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2074
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    The point I think people are trying to make (at least I am), is that using Int'l spots and (assumed) higher salary, older players for "Depth" positons just seems like a poor use of resources.

I'm sure there are many North American players that would be just as servicable in a depth role (and likely younger, on a cheaper contract).
    Valid point when expressed as such, not just knee jerk reaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    The point I think people are trying to make (at least I am), is that using Int'l spots and (assumed) higher salary, older players for "Depth" positons just seems like a poor use of resources.

I'm sure there are many North American players that would be just as servicable in a depth role (and likely younger, on a cheaper contract).
    I have a feeling Russell is going to be a bit more than a depth player if not a week-in and week-out starter, so I'm not sure one day out from the start of the season that there are that many North American players around who we could pick up without giving anything in return that would be as reliable.

I don't really care much about what his salary is (I doubt it's that high anyways) as long as it doesn't hamper our ability to sign players (and with all our allocation and cap space it won't, not to mention it's probably a loan), nor the international roster spot because I trust Payne knows what he's doing. I don't think he'd be using so many international slots if he didn't have a plan to acquire more or free up some slots later if he needed to.

The way I see it is that the majority of the guys we've signed in the past 2 or 3 days won't be here next year. Some might be gone in the summer. So I'm really not concerned with our signings all that much right now. These are mostly stop gaps while Payne evaluates the team and brings in foreign young talent to develop in the club and form the nucleus of the team. So again, our moves right now don't concern me much because they're not supposed to be anything more than temporary.

Also, Silva is going nowhere. Where is he going to play? The CAM/CF position is his to lose right now.
    Last edited by notthesun; 03-01-2013 at 04:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    hate to say this..where does silva play?
    maybe a trade to chivas for a intl spot and a 1st rd pick,dont want it to happen...jus saying
    seriously? you want to give up the best offensive player in TFC right now?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hate to say this..where does silva play?
    maybe a trade to chivas for a intl spot and a 1st rd pick,dont want it to happen...jus saying
    That would be a terrible trade, but typical of TFC. Silva's a player who can occupy the playmaker role for years to come at a reasonable salary and doesn't take up an international spot. Considering Silva was a fourth overall pick, and the draft is dropping in quality, chances are whoever we get with Chivas' pick would be far worse than Silva anyway. So your essentially downgrading Silva for a lower quality player without any experience, for an international pick that you could easily get for a Weideman or a Hall.

People wonder why we have so little depth or quality domestic players. Well it's dumb trades like this that have caused this problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

silva and JC not with the club in van...wow the injury bug already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does anyone know if Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault is still around? I asked TFC on twitter and all they said was that he is not in Vancouver. Seems like they could use a steady hand in central midfield with all of the injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    So does anyone know if Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault is still around? I asked TFC on twitter and all they said was that he is not in Vancouver. Seems like they could use a steady hand in central midfield with all of the injuries.
    Latest I've seen is Molinaro saying he's still on trial (as of 6 hours ago).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default *Warning: Speculation

Jermaine Beckford and DJ Campbell would do great on our team.

I also wanna point out that (CB)Andrea Mei is available on free transfer. Decent player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the latest on Bostock?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    Why did we fucking sign russel he's a 32 year old over the hill. I thought that's what Payne said were not doing
    Russel is an extremely versatily utility player. He's played full back, wing, and midield over the years. With one player, we now have cover at RB, probably LB, wing, and DM. I suspect he may go and play 30 games this season! He will be well worth the international slot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Jermaine Beckford and DJ Campbell would do great on our team.

I also wanna point out that (CB)Andrea Mei is available on free transfer. Decent player.

I wish, but I doubt they'd come cheap.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Park Ji Sung vs Southampton today
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He got back from Vancouver just in time to do that? wow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting one-to-one interview between Mike Ulmer and Kevin Payne:

http://www.torontofc.ca/blog/post/20...ne-kevin-payne

Most interesting part about building roster:

MU: Are you confident of adding more firepower as the season progresses?

KP:
    We will add more talent. There are a couple of players we are looking at for the summer. They are very important players on their teams so we can’t get them until then. We’re willing to wait. There are some advantages to that since they will come at a lower cap rate.

MU: Will these players be big names?

KP: One player in particular is a player we want to build around for three or four years. We’re going to spend a lot of time on due diligence over the next couple of months.

Seems like the plans have changed. He told reporters at the Torsten Frings press conference and some TFC supporters at the TFC jersey launch that he was close to signing the two Hondurans and the Argentina DP striker. However, from these comments it seems he will wait until the summer to sign more players.

What are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Very intriguing. Could be the reason we're loaning a bunch of guys from overseas right now as stopgaps. I think we only have 1 or 2 international roster slots open right now, Payne might be planning on letting a couple of the new guys go (and probably Lambe) by the summer to make way for permanent moves to build the core of the team.

Side note, time to start the in-season player movement thread no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne needs to talk less.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you ensco. LESS TALK MORE ACTION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Payne needs to talk less.
    He's in a difficult position. If he doesn't say anything people will complain, and if he does anything, people still complain.
    I personally welcome what he said, he's keeping fans in the loop. He's also being smart, as if we lose our first few games, fans will know that there will be a big name coming soon. I'd assume he is waiting for one of the big Euro leagues to finish possibly PL. I think a lot of it may revolve around whether or not QPR stay up. If they don't, there will be a huge exodus from that club. Interesting that he wants to build team around one target for yrs. Without reading too much into that sounds like and here's hoping it's a quality centre mid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    He's in a difficult position. If he doesn't say anything people will complain, and if he does anything, people still complain.
    I personally welcome what he said, he's keeping fans in the loop. He's also being smart, as if we lose our first few games, fans will know that there will be a big name coming soon.
    He's not "keeping fans in the loop", he's looking erratic and uncertain. He was talking South Americans, in numbers, two weeks ago.

I think Payne got stung by all that noise about the "terrible" press conference when Nelsen when hired and may have taken the wrong message away from it.

Just figure out how best to improve the team and do it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not "keeping fans in the loop", he's looking erratic and uncertain. He was talking South Americans, in numbers, two weeks ago.

I think Payne got stung by all that noise about the "terrible" press conference when Nelsen when hired and may have taken the wrong message away from it.

Just figure out how best to improve the team and do it.
    "We will add more talent. There are a couple of players we are looking at for the summer. They are very important players on their teams so we can’t get them until then. We’re willing to wait. There are some advantages to that since they will come at a lower cap rate."
    Not sure how that cannot be conceived as keeping fans in the loop.He's pretty clear about what he is doing. Re South Americans, he sent Onstead there to try and tie up a deal, again pretty clear about what he wants. Has he came out publicly and said we will not be signing any South Americans, that is still an area we are looking at. Time will tell if he is successful or not at TFC but to criticise him for being uncertain and erratic is a tad petty in my opinion.He knows who he wants and obviously cannot name them but to know we are looking at some new players come summer is refreshing.Ideally we would want them now but as he says they need to finish the season with the current teams first.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Semantics. I couldn't care less whether they're coming from Argentina or Kazakhstan, I just want them in here asap.

I like the whole build around the player for three years talk, too. Enough with the short-term.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people are rightly confused as to what Payne/Nelsen are trying to do right now.

My hope: TFC need to find 2 or 3 vets who will be here for 2-3 years, and will be both decent players and role models. They never replaced Dichio. These players need to speak English (not to rehash the debate about Winter/Frings, but many people would come to a different conclusion about the importance of top shelf communication skills, than Anselmi did)

You know and they know that they may have to bring in 8-10 of these guys this year, to identify the 2-3 leaders.

But instead of saying that, Payne is telling a different cliche-addled story to every reporter who sticks a mike in his face. He'll be talking about the J-League next week, I guess. I don't really mind.

Bottom line: we've all learned not to care what the suit say anyways. Let's see what he does.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-03-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default *Warning: Speculation

Wild guess since we seem to be looking for English Championship quality players, which is whole lot better than League 2, my guess is Denis Stracqualursi who trialed with Everton. Wilder guess would be Mauro Zarate. I would gladly wait for Amauri's contract to expire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll just take all the talk as Kevin Payne being Kevin Payne. Don't think he particularly cares if what he's saying is truthful.

I'll be listening to his comments with one ear open. But my eyes will be on our roster to see what he does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that I don't understand about Payne's promised SA players, is that it looks like we're already maxed out on internationals (Russel, Earnshaw, Koevermans, Lambe, Eckersley, Morgan, Ephraim, O'Dea, Cesar = 9). I see that Ephraim is on loan until the summer, so that should free up a spot, but Payne listed off quite a number of players.
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 03-03-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    The thing that I don't understand about Payne's promised SA players, is that it looks like we're already maxed out on internationals (Russel, Earnshaw, Koevermans, Lambe, Eckersley, Morgan, Ephraim, O'Dea, Cesar = 9). I see that Ephraim is on loan until the summer, so that should free up a spot, but Payne listed off quite a number of players.
    I assume that any of Lambe, one of Ecks/O'Dea, and maybe Koevs, could be gone by July 1.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume that any of Lambe, one of Ecks/O'Dea, and maybe Koevs, could be gone by July 1.
    Anyone have a handy list of players with non guaranteed contracts?

I don't want to start a death watch but some internationals have to go if we are bringing more in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how long does it take to a canadian res permit..that dude on van(coffee) got his and this is his 2nd yr with the club i think...maybe ecks,koevs, lambe can get perm res?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I suspect that Ephraim, Ecks/o'dea, maybe Russel, and Lambe won't be here by the end of the summer window. Their replacements are already known to Payne. I also feel that Lambe is going to be traded for an international spot. Opening up for 2 spots in 1 trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how long does it take to a canadian res permit..that dude on van(coffee) got his and this is his 2nd yr with the club i think...maybe ecks,koevs, lambe can get perm res?
    I believe it takes 3 years.