Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's only a few more players we need to dump before we get to a solid 'core' group of players and in my opinion those players are Jeremy Hall ($120,000), Freddy Hall, and Andrew Weidemann who's generation addidas contract expires (option year).

Once we dump those players we're solid.

Also, nobody go for my throat or anything but... I wouldn't be having Frings or Koevermans in the squad come march... Reasoning behind this is, I think we can find a solid MLS centre midfield general for $250,000 - $300,000 and not be using that DP spot we're using for Frings. Also id dump Koevermans because the 'if' factor of 'if' he's healthy is just to big for me. Id leave those two designated player spots open and see what you can do with them come the summer transfer window sort of like Vancouver did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Also, nobody go for my throat or anything but... I wouldn't be having Frings or Koevermans in the squad come march... Reasoning behind this is, I think we can find a solid MLS centre midfield general for $250,000 - $300,000 and not be using that DP spot we're using for Frings. Also id dump Koevermans because the 'if' factor of 'if' he's healthy is just to big for me. Id leave those two designated player spots open and see what you can do with them come the summer transfer window sort of like Vancouver did.
    I agree with you there, although I am somewhat inclined to keep Koevermans around.

Either way, I'd rather we part with at least one to free up some cap space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Can't agree more with that. I noticed the release said Maund is a defender. Did Mariner know that?
    Not sure Maund did.

Good signing. Braun is a natural goalscorer who got caught in a numbers crunch at Montreal and Salt Lake. Good backup to the two big guys, will probably see quite a bit of time, but if he doesn't, it's because the two guys better than him are healthy. Smart signing.

Edit: Geez, when was the last time I got to write that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    There's only a few more players we need to dump before we get to a solid 'core' group of players and in my opinion those players are Jeremy Hall ($120,000), Freddy Hall, and Andrew Weidemann who's generation addidas contract expires (option year).

Once we dump those players we're solid.

I'd agree on Frings but not Koevermans. 1-in-2 strikers are worth their weight in gold, even if you only get 16 games out of them a year -- an eight-goal scorer is still going to be your second or third top scorer in this league. He's too good to cut, especially given his general sturdiness over his career. The cruciate ligament is a big deal, but it's not like he's done it multiple times and once they're repaired these days, guys usually come back ok.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd agree on Frings but not Koevermans. 1-in-2 strikers are worth their weight in gold, even if you only get 16 games out of them a year -- an eight-goal scorer is still going to be your second or third top scorer in this league. He's too good to cut, especially given his general sturdiness over his career. The cruciate ligament is a big deal, but it's not like he's done it multiple times and once they're repaired these days, guys usually come back ok.
    Co-sign. It's not to say his game was ever about electrifying pace or anything; I reckon he'll come good, just when we usually slump (Summer).

Re: Braun: the more I read of this trade, the more I like it; refreshing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Co-sign. It's not to say his game was ever about electrifying pace or anything; I reckon he'll come good, just when we usually slump (Summer).

Re: Braun: the more I read of this trade, the more I like it; refreshing.
    Except both Mtl and RSL supporters are glad to get rid of him...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the list we got our wishes Weedman hall avila will fo though the process on Dec 7.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...y-process-list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Except both Mtl and RSL supporters are glad to get rid of him...
    Braun wasn't given a fair shake in Montreal or Salt Lake City. Who cares what their supporters have to say considering the fact that he was only given a handful of starts by both clubs. His career numbers tell a different story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That and the 2 hattricks in 2011.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Here's the list we got our wishes Weedman hall avila will fo though the process on Dec 7.
    idk how the dp thing works, but de guzman back for non-dp status? (if mariner gets fired, since they both hate each other). Return of Marvell Wynne, and acquire Ike Opera?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontofc View Post
    idk how the dp thing works, but de guzman back for non-dp status? (if mariner gets fired, since they both hate each other). Return of Marvell Wynne, and acquire Ike Opera?
    JDG is going back to Europe. He will make similar money there while being closer to his family, he will take a paycut but i would rather play in Europe than NA for the same money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idk how the dp thing works, but de guzman back for non-dp status? Opera?
    De Guzman is out of contract hes not going to get DP money from any team in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bringing JDG back would be a colossal mistake for both parties. Time to move on.

We could still possibly sign Avila before Thursday, but I doubt we will.

Interesting names on that list assuming teams don't sign them between now and Thursday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why do probably most of us have the feeling that "someone" is not Mariner?
    I meant Kreis. He is probably a good depth CB for the price tbh. He was a rookie that was played too often and out of position here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opara would have to re-up for much less; he's like Julius James, a physical product that hasn't shown the intelligence yet at the next level. He's well ahead of both James and Maund in that regard, but he's not looking like an everyday starter yet, and by this point for MLS defenders, that means his prognosis is not good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont recall seeing Justin Braun play but i recall the name. I looked him up online and found this assesment from Kreis and a guy from Prosoccertalk.nbcsports...something. If you ask me though, the trade was a similar to the trade for Weideman, I find this guy to be something similar to Andrea Lombardo and Jarrod Smith. I also find it interesting that this guy was good in a time when MLS defenses were pretty weak. The defenses accross the league improved from 2010 and 2011. Alot of teams in the middle of the table in their conferences improved their defenders and midfielders. So its a lot different competition. I'm not holding my breath on this guy.

Jason Kreis: Justin Braun Is Still Behind Tactically and Technically(Sept. 4/2012)

Mea culpa time for me on Justin Braun. I suppose, anyway.

I wrote a couple of years ago that Braun was a Brian Ching starter kit. He looked like a striker with bags full of potential. He was faster and more athletic than Ching – and obviously younger, too.

He looked to me like a guy who could play as a target and find goal, go bang a little with center backs, fight for second balls and do the little things. And when Bob Bradley called Braun into a January national team camp, I felt a little vindicated.

But Braun is, roughly, the same player then that he was now. He simply hasn’t progressed much.
    That helps explain why Chivas USA was willing to let him go at the end of last season. Braun went to Montreal, which made some sense. Impact coach Jesse Marsch had played alongside Braun for two seasons, so he saw something there, too.

So I thought perhaps Braun would regain his feet and potentially rise for the Impact the way I always thought he might for Chivas USA. But two months ago Braun was shipped off to Real Salt Lake for a conditional pick in the 2014 SuperDraft. Considering he hasn’t played much for RSL, that conditional pick probably won’t turn into too much.

So … where are we now? (Besides my mea culpa, that is.) Because it looks like I was wrong. For now, at least.
    RSL manager Jason Kreis did offer something of an explanation today. Essentially, he said, Braun got a late start with higher level coaching, so he’s behind on the game’s finer points.

What he told MLSSoccer.com:

He works extremely hard. He fits into our mentality with his character as a person and with his work rate, but tactically and technically he needs improvement.”
    We all know about Justin’s history. I don’t think he’s come from the most organized and the highest levels of youth and college soccer. Some of that he still has to learn. To look at him, and to look at his age, I think he is still a younger player than what his age says – if that makes sense. To me, I still look at him as a young player who is finding his way in our system.”

Braun, 25, played at a small junior college in Utah and was 20 years when he was spotted playing on an amateur team and offered a trial with Chivas USA.
    I dont know if I would have traded Maund, when my other options are Emory or Henry?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Opara would have to re-up for much less; he's like Julius James, a physical product that hasn't shown the intelligence yet at the next level. He's well ahead of both James and Maund in that regard, but he's not looking like an everyday starter yet, and by this point for MLS defenders, that means his prognosis is not good.
    that two years being injured really killed his development. I still think he can be a decent MLS player, and he's only 23, age senior NCAA graduates enter MLS
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanna have my two cents on this list:

----------------------------------Frei---------------------------------
    ---------------------------------Kocic--------------------------------
    Eckersley(I)--------Califf--------------------O'Dea(I)-----------Morgan
    Purdy--------------Henry--------------------Emory---------------Ward
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------Frings(I)-------------------------------------------
    -------------------Joseph---------------------------------------------
    Mapp----------------------------------------Silva-----------Johnson(I)
    Lambe(I)------------------------------------Tchani-------------Plata(I)
    -------------------Hassli(I)-----------------Stinson--------------------
    -------------------Barrett---------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------Koevermans(I)----------------
    --------------------------------------------Braun---------------------

Provided these players fit under the cap, these would be a my pick ups:

Left Back- Tim Ward
    Centre Back- Danny Califf
    Right Back- Steve Purdy

DM- Joseph Nane
    CM- Tony Tchani
    RM/LM- Justin Mapp

ST- Chad Barrett

*Hunter Freeman, I dont know much about him other than the handfull of games for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    I dont recall seeing Justin Braun play but i recall the name. I looked him up online and found this assesment from Kreis and a guy from Prosoccertalk.nbcsports...something. If you ask me though, the trade was a similar to the trade for Weideman, I find this guy to be something similar to Andrea Lombardo and Jarrod Smith. I also find it interesting that this guy was good in a time when MLS defenses were pretty weak. The defenses accross the league improved from 2010 and 2011. Alot of teams in the middle of the table in their conferences improved their defenders and midfielders. So its a lot different competition. I'm not holding my breath on this guy.

I dont know if I would have traded Maund, when my other options are Emory or Henry?
    Maund was more like a pylon, but then again pylon's don't pass to the opposing team do they. It will be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure Braun bring much in the way of additional raw talent but he does have more experience, better option off the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, the sheer number of Ex-TFC players on this list...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Matt Stinson hates you lol

But Thierry Henry loves Matt Stinson...

= Matt Stinson wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Current Roster
    TOR Quincy Amarikwa FW $44,100.00 $44,100.00
    RSL Justin Braun FW $102,000.00 $104,500.00
    TOR Terry Dunfield MF $86,000.00 $86,000.00
    TOR Richard Eckersley DF $210,000.00 $390,000.00
    TOR Logan Emory DF $44,000.00 $44,000.00
    TOR Stefan Frei GK $120,000.00 $175,000.00
    TOR Torsten Frings MF $2,000,000.00 $2,413,666.67(DP)
    TOR Freddy Hall GK $44,004.00 $44,000.04
    TOR Eric Hassli FW $550,000.00 $790,000.00(DP)
    TOR Doneil Henry DF $44,100.00 $45,100.00
    TOR Ryan Johnson MF $137,813.00 $137,813.00
    TOR Milos Kocic GK $44,100.00 $44,100.00
    TOR Danny Koevermans FW $1,150,000.00 $1,563,323.33(DP)
    TOR Reggie Lambe MF $60,000.00 $62,500.00
    TOR Ashtone Morgan DF $44,000.00 $56,000.00
    TOR Darren O'Dea DF $330,000.00 $436,250.00
    TOR Joao Plata FW $50,000.00 $50,000.00
    TOR Quillan Roberts GK $33,750.00 $33,750.00
    TOR Luis Silva MF $44,000.00 $79,000.00
    TOR Matthew Stinson MF $44,000.00 $44,000.00

Contracts Released
    TOR Adrian Cann DF $126,000.00 $134,750.00
    TOR Oscar Cordon MF $44,000.00 $44,000.00
    TOR Ty Harden DF $90,000.00 $98,666.67
    TOR Nicholas Lindsay FW $44,100.00 $45,100.00
    TOR Keith Makubuya FW $44,000.00 $44,000.00
    TOR Aaron Maund DF $44,000.00 $59,000.00
    TOR Dicoy Williams DF $52,500.00 $52,500.00
    TOR Andrew Weideman FW $80,000.00 $123,000.00
    TOR Eric Avila MF $125,000.00 $158,000.00
    TOR Jeremy Hall MF $100,000.00 $149,000.00
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    $749,600.00
    Justin Braun -$102,000.00
    -------------
    Difference $647,600.00
    between 2012 and 2013

updated
    Last edited by ryan; 12-03-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read that article and my tin foil hat lit up like a Christmas tree!

What if Mariner is a genius and played Maund, Freddy and Jeremy Hall, traded De Guzman, and sat Avila, and Silva while presenting the world: Cann as a forward; for a reason?

We have really GREAT draft positions that can really provide us with a lot of options here for 2013.....

GENIUS?!? or.... fluke?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"But Braun is, roughly, the same player then that he was now. He simply hasn’t progressed much.
    That helps explain why Chivas USA was willing to let him go at the end of last season. Braun went to Montreal, which made some sense. Impact coach Jesse Marsch had played alongside Braun for two seasons, so he saw something there, too."

That last part of the article explains a lot for me after watching the Payne interviews. The man believes the big advantage of this league is finding players like this and developing/"teaching" them a la Arena/Schmid.

This is a DYI project with big dividends if it works.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I read that article and my tin foil hat lit up like a Christmas tree!

What if Mariner is a genius and played Maund, Freddy and Jeremy Hall, traded De Guzman, and sat Avila, and Silva while presenting the world: Cann as a forward; for a reason?

We have really GREAT draft positions that can really provide us with a lot of options here for 2013.....

GENIUS?!? or.... fluke?
    You're suggesting that Mariner deliberately tanked the team to get a better allocation and draft-pick position? I don't buy it.

Not a shred of GENIUS to be found, I'm afraid.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wouldn't have tanked because in this superdraft there isn't one specific standout player in the draft. Crap.... Maybe there is for mariner.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
    He wouldn't have tanked because in this superdraft there isn't one specific standout player in the draft. Crap.... Maybe there is for mariner.......
    So far Mariner's MO has been MLS rejects. If that pattern continues, this is like Christmas to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    So far Mariner's MO has been MLS rejects. If that pattern continues, this is like Christmas to him.
    L-O-L. So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso
    That last part of the article explains a lot for me after watching the Payne interviews. The man believes the big advantage of this league is finding players like this and developing/"teaching" them a la Arena/Schmid.

This is a DYI project with big dividends if it works.
    If you watch the home renovation show, "Disaster DIY", you'll find that alot of people think they know how to do something but really they are limited to doing half-ass and hazardous work. During the show the host goes in and teaches the rookie renovator how to do it properly.

So what I'm saying is, do you think Mariner is the right guy to coach this Justin Braun? Mariner is not much different than Preki and Preki somehow got the best of this kid versus weaker defenses, but dont expect this kid to be anything more than an Alan Gordon/Jarrod Smith. I think he brings a little more than Wiedeman which I think is an improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L-O-L. So true.

If you watch the home renovation show, "Disaster DIY", you'll find that alot of people think they know how to do something but really they are limited to doing half-ass and hazardous work. During the show the host goes in and teaches the rookie renovator how to do it properly.

So what I'm saying is, do you think Mariner is the right guy to coach this Justin Braun? Mariner is not much different than Preki and Preki somehow got the best of this kid versus weaker defenses, but dont expect this kid to be anything more than an Alan Gordon/Jarrod Smith. I think he brings a little more than Wiedeman which I think is an improvement.

If he produces like Alan Gordon on a consistent basis then he'd be well worth the salary in my opinion. Especially if it's clutch goals like Gordon seems to create year in and year out.

I wouldn't expect much more either.

I don't think Mariner is a good teacher, not in the vein that Payne wants which is a guy who's been in the development trenches for 20+ years like Rongen, Schmid, or Arena.

I could see Rongen becoming assistant coach for the team because of this, and also because then we'd have a decent interim replacement for Mariner if the team doesn't start out great. An interim replacement that could possibly blossom into a permanent coaching position if Rongen does well.